RE: [JUGGLING_GA] DOMAIN IDEA

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 8, 2000
      I'd be glad to set it up if everyone thinks it's worth the bucks. It'd cost
      $35 each year for the domain name plus $25 one-time setup fee at our current
      hosting service. We've got plenty of empty server space there so that won't
      cost anything. Should we use www.atlantajugglers.com or
      www.atlantajugglers.org ? Either would be easier to remember than
      www.juggler.net/atlanta . It would look good on t-shirts and marketing
      items. How's the treasury look right now, Toni?

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 9, 2000
        Uh, shouldn't we have it a .org TLD (www.atlantajugglers.org) ? We're
        non-profit, after all.

        -- CHS

      • LOVEuinCHAINS (bob)
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 9, 2000
          Please use .com I cant tell you how many times I couldn't find a website
          because it was .(damn)org

          bob

          http://profiles.msn.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 9, 2000
            Oh lordy. This is one of those places where Principles conflict with
            Expediency. I realize that our audience is jugglers, not computer jocks.
            Bob's point is a legitimate one, even though a seasoned computer user would
            sniff and call it a newbie mistake.

            The three letters on the end of a URL (the ".com", ".net", ".edu", ".gov",
            or ".org") are called the Top Level Domain (TLD for short). They are
            supposed to give you a hint about the nature of a site. The ICANN
            (http://www.icann.org, one of the more powerful groups working on internet
            names) is just on the verge of announcing over 40 new TLDs. These will make
            it possible to tell more about a site from its URL than we currently can.
            Among the proposed new TLDs are .biz, .info, and .kids.

            I still vote for "atlantajugglers.org" rather than "atlantajugglers.com".
            This preserves the purpose of this part of the name. A .org TLD will also
            keep us inside any new standards for TLDs, so people will be able to find us
            where they expect to when there are hundreds of possible TLDs, rather than
            just the seven plus country codes which we have now. We may lose a few
            potential jugglers now because of confusion between ".org" and ".com", but
            we will lose many more later if we are out of standard.

            -- CHS

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 10, 2000
              Lead On.

              Rodger

              --For more information about the DeLuxe Vaudeville Orchestra, please check
              out our web site:
              <http://www.deluxevaudeville.com/>

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 13, 2000
                The dot-extensions were discussed on NPR radio this morning. The words
                "highly controversial" were used in the title. Still I strongly agreed
                with the argument that certain things should have different extensions (but
                not something like juggling clubs). For example: the medical industry
                should have .med .medical, etc and must meet a criteria for using the
                designation (to allow people to know this URL leads to a valid medical
                organization). Likewise with edu for education, and xxx (or adult) for
                adult. The common reasoning being that groups must meet a criteria to use
                certain dot extensions, to allow people to know they are on a "real"
                medical/adult/educational/etc web site. I still feel for the rest of us
                .com would be the best.

                bob

                http://profiles.msn.com.