Birdblast

  • labananatbs@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 7, 2008
      Remember the Great Speckled Bird--the newspaper predecessor to the Creative Loafer?? They're celebrating and invite us to be atmoshperic.

      I said 3 to 6 might show up between 2 and 5.? I plan to go.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9, 2008
        I put it on my calendar (but its 50/50 if I can make it).. A
        location link would help, LOL..

        bobbler

        Message 3 of 8 , May 21, 2008
          Okay, looks like in Toni's absence I'm the Guy for this. I've talked to
          Barbara and confirmed that we can get on the Guest List so we don't have to
          pay the $7. I presume that you're on your own for food and drink though.

          The party is located in something called "the B Complex" (
          http://thebcomplex.com ), located less than a half-mile N of the Oakland
          City MARTA station. The address is 1272 Murphy Ave, Atlanta GA 30310. I
          reckon you can google map it up as well as I can.

          -- CHS

        • labananatbs@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , May 23, 2008
            The Great Speckled Bird Blast is like a reunion of sorts.? The jugglers were invited to participate--it's a singforyoursupper gig--no pay to play but you eat and drink and be part of the mix for free.

            The B Complex is an old warehouse along the railroad tracks heading south out of West End.? I've been to some art shows and performance art parties there.? It's an adventure looking for it as a lot of the surrounding warehouses are still used to store wares so it's Industrial, then this oasis of hip.

            Don't let Charles have all the fun by himself.?

            Thanks,
            Toni

          • Robert McKee
            Message 5 of 8 , May 23, 2008
              Im still 50/50 (if I can get all my chores done)... I'll be there,..

              Put my name on the list..bob mckee or bobbler

              bobbler

              On May 23, 2008, at 11:09 AM, labananatbs@... wrote:

              > The Great Speckled Bird Blast is like a reunion of sorts.? The
              > jugglers were invited to participate--it's a singforyoursupper gig--
              > no pay to play but you eat and drink and be part of the mix for free.
              >
              > The B Complex is an old warehouse along the railroad tracks heading
              > south out of West End.? I've been to some art shows and performance
              > art parties there.? It's an adventure looking for it as a lot of
              > the surrounding warehouses are still used to store wares so it's
              > Industrial, then this oasis of hip.
              >
              > Don't let Charles have all the fun by himself.?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Toni

            • Robert McKee
              Message 6 of 8 , May 23, 2008
                Again.. half price ($5) for my juggle friends..
                Tango Beginner / INT lesson 8PM.. Then the dance..

                There will "probably" be a large spare room in the back where you can
                juggle (with music) if you get bored with tango (but take care of the
                wood floor)..

                Details below

                OASIS: SATURDAY MAY 24

                8 PM TANGO CLASS (BEGINNER / INTERMEDIATE)

                9 PM DANCE (until the cops come)..

                $10

                Nuevo and alternative music (also, traditional, salsa, swing, blues):

                Once we start dancing tango outside the box, we do not look back..
                And we begin to enjoy dancing tango to a wider variety of music..

                The class is perfect for complete beginners thru intermediate level..
                Tips on how to dance to alternative music..
                Advanced dancers are invited to help out, warm up, and socialize..

                LOCATION:
                ABDC
                www.atlantaballroomdancecentre.com (for directions; not schedule)
                6125 Roswell Rd. NE, Sandy Springs, GA 30328

                NOTES:

                By design we have a large dance floor, with no crowding issues..

                Featuring a professional sound system..
                To enjoy the music while dancing (a little wine works too)..

                Songs not specifically written for dancing (Alternative music),
                is intimidating at first (to the leader).. However, after a while
                it becomes second nature, and makes us better dancers..
                And its fun! There are typically more folowers (so we need leaders)..

                @@@@@@

                Message 7 of 8 , May 27, 2008
                  Well that was a heckuva fun gig. The space is a nice large warehouse//art
                  space which seems to be a hangout mostly for sculpters and other large-scale
                  artist types The entrance includes a wonderful bridge over a small moat
                  filled with koi, which fascinated some of the smaller kids as much as I
                  did..I snuck out the back and changed into my costume in someone's studio,
                  not realizing that the owner was sacked out on a couch not 20 feet from me
                  'til his little dog walked around me and out the door to drink from his
                  water bowl. Fortunately he didn't wake up and realize my trespass. The
                  party was a great place for unicycling and juggling, although I kept my
                  clubs in my bag for fear of the concrete floor ( and since nobody else
                  showed up to pass with).
                  There were lots of folks of A Certain Age there, reminiscing about the Tough
                  Old Days, as well as a healthy sprinkling of fresh-faced young activists
                  and volunteers for various anti-war and social causes. I didn't see a lot of
                  NRA folks, Republicans, Neoconservatives, or even Libertarians there. But
                  Grandmothers for Peace were there, as well as WRFG. I even saw the scary
                  blond guy who used to sell the Bird at the corner of Ponce and Moreland. He
                  was carrying a guitar this time.

                  I juggled for a couple of hours, then changed back into street clothes and
                  listened to the speakers, including Georgia State Senator Nan Orrock
                  (introduced by her ex-husband, no less!), and journalist Amy Goodman. The
                  posters and artwork were astounding -- those people were **so young** back
                  then! I saw a couple of pictures which included Jon Jacobs, and an
                  extraordinary portrait of famous Atlanta NPR journalist Boyd Lewis from 1973
                  or so. I didn't recognise Bill Cutler in any pictures, but they read a list
                  of deceased former Bird staffers which included his name and Jon's and had a
                  moment of silence for them.

                  The whole thing was a great immersion in Atlanta history, 'specially for
                  those of us who came here in the 1980s. I signed the guest List, which
                  included a question about whether reviving the Bird on the web would be good
                  (I answered yes, of course).

                  -- CHS

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 27, 2008
                    Chuck,

                    Thanks for carrying the banner, so to speak. I really hated missing this
                    one.

                    Rodger