Moderators

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2007
      Jay,

      Never mind about my question about who are the moderators. I looked under the members and saw where the moderators were listed. As I was looking, I noticed two accounts for me. Could someone remove the one that has Bell South as the email? There may be a lot more member accounts that could be cleaned out, too. This might get rid of some of the spammers and let us have a true member list of active people.

      Thanks,

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 31, 2007
        Hi Jay,

        If you don't mind, Jay, go ahead and remove that extra BellSouth address of mine. It's totally invalid and I don't remember the password, etc.

        Oh, I think we should definitely allow anyone that is interested in the AJA to join, but it would also be good to only have valid persons on the list. There are only 83 listings and people like myself, Drew, Charles, Joyce have two or more emails. I looked at the list and 2/3 of the people are the regular suspects, but either I don't know some or I don't recognize the email address. Each listing has a place where they can be sent a message. For those people that are not known by someone in the club, we could send a friendly email to them and explain that we are updating our list and would they like to continue on the list or be removed. We could give them a reasonable time to respond, then remove the non-responsive.

        There are "bumped" listings, which I assume are invalid emails, so all of those could be removed right away. Who stays or what listing is removed has nothing to do with whether they post or not. A spring cleaning would be a good time to do it, that is, after Groundhog Day when we have a membership list and we aren't dealing with preparation for the festival. If none of the officers or moderators are interested in designing a letter or sending it out, I'd be willing to do it. It probably only needs to go out to twenty listings or so, if that many. So, it shouldn't be a big deal. It's just one of the maintenance type things that is nice to do every once in a while.

        I think this forum has a few features that we aren't using too much, that might be good to utilize. There are photo files from 1999, but none after that. There may be some photos that don't belong on the website, but might be good to share on here. Maybe if Jimmy, Bob, or someone that is very familiar with all the features could reintroduce us to them, so we can take full advantage of what we have.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 31, 2007
          Member altmandave removed. -J

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 31, 2007
            I know the Portland,OR group, and a few others uses a white listing
            system, i.e. when you join the list the moderator receives your request
            to join then they actually add you to the list. As the number of
            legitimate request is small this is not an issue. It does mean that new
            enrollees may miss a few emails but as these list are generally low
            traffic and not time critical, this is generally not a problem.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 31, 2007
              Yes, Rick,

              I think that is how Frank Jefferys handles it on the North Carolina State group and Steve Langley on the Lake Norman Jugglers group, too.