Re: [JUGGLING_GA] Ryder Schwartz, Austin, TX

  • Emory Kimbrough
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
      I watched Ryder Schwartz's very entertaining performance on the Denver
      highlight tape over and over, and first met him at the Baltimore convention.

      A much longer and more detailed report on his murder appears here, with a
      picture of Ryder:

      http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=4966484&nav=menu73_2

      Many of the press reports mention that he was the opening act at Esther's
      Follies - here's their web site:

      http://www.esthersfollies.com/

      They give a link to Ryder's web site (http://www.redryder.info/) but that
      site is not responding now.

      Unfortunately, several reports, including the UPI wire report, said that
      Ryder was living on the streets recently, but this note from an Austin
      newspaper says he was "not a transient, as the Statesman has incorrectly
      reported." This looks like a misunderstanding of the facts that he had a
      drug problem and recently lost his house:

      Austin Police are investigating the murder of longtime Esther's Follies
      opening act, juggler extraordinaire Red Ryder (n� Warren Schwartz), who was
      reportedly stabbed multiple times in the neck and back and died in the
      parking lot of the Travis Park Apartments on East Oltorf Street just before
      6am on May 28. An Austin native (who was not a transient, as the Statesman
      has incorrectly reported), the 39-year-old Schwartz worked as the opening
      act for Esther's for nearly 20 years, a standing gig punctuated by worldwide
      performing engagements � including stints in Monte Carlo, Japan, and
      Germany. Police are asking that anyone with information about Schwartz's
      murder call the APD Homicide tip line at 477-3588, or CrimeStoppers at
      472-8477. � Jordan Smith
    • seasideshowman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
        --- In JUGGLING_GA@yahoogroups.com, "Emory Kimbrough" <emoryk@...>
        wrote:

        > I watched Ryder Schwartz's very entertaining performance on the
        Denver
        > highlight tape over and over, and first met him at the Baltimore
        convention.

        Hey Emory & everybody,

        Video of Ryder can also be found at http://www.festivalvideos.com .
        It's easier to right-click and choose "save target as" and just
        download it - you'll want to watch it again. Thank Alan Plotkin for
        that.

        Ciao now,
        Mike