RE: [JUGGLING_GA] Wallpapering the Jugging Space

    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2005
      I like the idea of putting some IJA magazines in the juggling space. Think
      about the room though ... there is hardly any wall space at eye level that
      isn't blackboard or bulletin board ... the walls are totally lined with
      them. Do we want to remove those? The entire far end of the room is
      bulletin board. The blackboard on the wall next to our storage closet is
      falling apart (old slate pieces are crumbling behind the fiberboard added
      later) and either needs to be fixed or removed. I would be fine with
      removing that one and wallpapering that one wall. Or we could laminate the
      pages we want and pin them to the bulletin board. That's an easy job for
      now.

      I really want to get the space fixed up. Let's concentrate on finishing the
      sheetrock for the walls and priming them (it'd be good to finish all the
      sanding before we do the floors), then do the floors. When that's done, we
      can paint the walls and trim however we decide. It would be good to plan on
      doing the room in early fall so we don't run into another GH fest when we
      don't have time to work on the room.

      So the question now is .... do we want to buy some old JW and JUGGLE
      magazines? I think it'd be especially cool to have the GH fest articles in
      the juggling room. Bill Giduz wrote good articles about most of our
      festivals. Our family has extra copies of most of the magazines and I'll be
      glad to donate those to the cause. We don't need to buy any more. OTOH if
      we wanted to get a box of a particular issue (that's what the IJA is trying
      to sell -- multiple copies and whole boxes), we could hand them out to new
      members who seem interested. I have the inventory list and will post it
      soon to the IJA forum.

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2005
        Hi Ya'll,

> [...]

        > appropriate for
        > a collage?
        Good question. I think the magazines would add to the interest of the
        room, but Charles' and Alan's points are the most valid. ONE: Do the
        floors first. TWO: Don't make juggling in the space harder. Given that,
        please consider the latest proposal.
        Restated:
        Do the magazines from four feet high to the floor and paint the upper
        part in a non-busy white or light solid color, and the entrance around
        the door be painted in a bright circus theme. Still, the floor should
        come first. My suggestion on the floor is plywood painted with a clear,
        normal wood floor finish and the AJA logo painted in the center of the
        room.

        Time Period: Sometime in late Fall, after the Christmas Holidays, or

        Dave
      • LUIC
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 1, 2005
          Bare wallboard "does" need a primer coat for wallpaper..

          On Jun 1, 2005, at 1:37 PM, Dave Altman wrote:
          >>> old "Jugglers' World" and "JUGGLE" magazines for wallpaper ...
          >>
          >> Great idea. It would definitly add interest to the room for
          >> jugglers. Perhaps, other juggle clubs might follow suit if they had
          >> their own space.. Perhaps the IJA would specifically ship a mixture
          >> of copies..
          > Thanks, my thoughts exactly. I don't think getting a variety would be a
          > problem at all.
          >> If you could get multiple copies of older to newer copies.. Start
          >> with the oldest at the bottom and work up ward in chronological order
          >> in a spiral around the room.. Make it look like a spiral by finding
          >> a line for the first row (this part sounds like work though, LOL)..
          > Not a bad idea either. I don't think that would be too hard to put them
          > in order.
          >> If there is not enough variety in the old issues, maybe we as a club
          >> could donate our old issues to fill in the gaps..
          > I think we would have enough variety without donating personal
          > collections. There are pallets of them in the IJA inventory and if we
          > just do a band around the room, we would have more than enough.
          >> To make the job last, the surface needs to be properly prepared (ie:
          >> wire brush for loose paint chips if any; then some kind of primer),
          >> and possibly have the whole thing covered with one clear coat of
          >> something to further protect it..
          > No brushing is needed because we have unpainted walls at this point and
          > I think a clear coat over the mags would be desired.
          >> Obviously we cannot carefully read each copy as we put it up. I am
          >> only suggesting we look at the page numbers. We will need two copies
          >> of each months issue, because the pages are double sided. So, the
          >> wall spread looks complete in chronological order.
          > Agreed. I don't think this would be a problem either. If we decide to
          > get the mags and do this project, I think there would be enough issues
          > left over to: add to personal collections, give to local schools, give
          > away at club gigs and/or World Juggling Day. Speaking of WJD, what are
          > we going to do for that?
          >
          > Dave

        • LUIC
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 1, 2005
            Isn't there some kind of wood floor already there (under the
            underlayment). If so wood putty the nail holes and seal it.. This may
            be the cheapest (as well as the best) floor we could have. I heard
            there might be an area with water damage though, which might complicate
            the project of restoring the wood. Perhaps if we looked in other
            spaces in the building, we might get an idea of the wood we might have
            in our room underneath the underlayment.

            I dont like the idea of painted plywood. The finished result will not
            be as good as you think, and the surface will be prone to damage (like
            the manufactured floors we buy for the house, instead of solid wood).

            Last time we talked about this; I suggested getting the cheapest 12"
            square vinyl tiles, and glue them right over the underlayment that is
            there now. I forgot the price, but I believe Toni said it was doable.

            bobbler

            On Jun 1, 2005, at 2:55 PM, Dave Altman wrote:

> [...]
            >> appropriate for
            >> a collage?
            > Good question. I think the magazines would add to the interest of the
            > room, but Charles' and Alan's points are the most valid. ONE: Do the
            > floors first. TWO: Don't make juggling in the space harder. Given that,
            > please consider the latest proposal.
            > Restated:
            > Do the magazines from four feet high to the floor and paint the upper
            > part in a non-busy white or light solid color, and the entrance around
            > the door be painted in a bright circus theme. Still, the floor should
            > come first. My suggestion on the floor is plywood painted with a clear,
            > normal wood floor finish and the AJA logo painted in the center of the
            > room.
            >
            > Time Period: Sometime in late Fall, after the Christmas Holidays, or

          • MindSpring User
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
              All
              The "underlayment" particleboard (""because it's not actually being used as underlayment) isn't suitable for tile.
              The plywood under that may be suitable, barring water damage (probably localized). There's also a layer of old-fashioned black tar mastic on that plywood, which held the old linoleum tiles down. Today's latex adhesives might not stick well to that, and it would be difficult to remove it.
              I also would hesitate to install a floor that would be hard to fix, as anything glued down would be. That's an advantage of screwed-down plywood panels.
              I think we should consult with Richard Huber, our real flooring expert.
              DrewBob

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005

                > I think we should consult with Richard Huber, our real flooring
                > expert.
                > DrewBob
                After hearing everyone's concerns about the wallpapering idea, I'm
                convinced that its not a good idea for us and I think DrewBob's
                suggestion to consult Richard about the floor is our best course of
                action. I agree with Alan, that the floor is our first priority. I
                believe Joyce is right in that normally you work from walls to floor so
                that the floor doesn't get damaged. That is the case in a house where
                even a minor scratch is too much damage and a prudent client/ homeowner
                would make the workers repair it. In our case, a minor scratch isn't
                important. We need a floor that doesn't flake or hold dirt primarily,
                is easy to install, and as inexpensive as possible.

                Does anyone know Richard's contact information? It would be nice to fix
                the floor before we move back inside. I can volunteer to help anytime
                after Davenport, but I would rather do it when its not "killer" hot. If
                we do it at night, we might be able to do it this summer.

                Dave
              • bobbler
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
                  OK, I dont think we shoudl glue down new tiles over the tar. Could
                  we add screws to the top layer of particle board and make it suitable
                  as underlayment?

                  Here is an idea: I've been looking for a wood floor for my house, so
                  I noticed .99/Sq Ft oak at floor and decour. It is unfinished, kind
                  of ugly wood for a house, but I believe it would suit our purposes
                  nicely (ie: its good for a bar floor, or a play room floor, etc). I
                  believe we could nail it down right over the floor as it is now (no
                  vapor barrier needed, since downstairs is heat controlled too). This
                  wood has knots, and some pieces are irregular.. and it would need
                  wood putty on the knots before sealing and topcoating. They have a
                  display at floor and decor (get on the 85 south access road at
                  clairmont to get there).. This would require several coats to finish
                  the job (cant do this in the house, ut the juggle space can be locked
                  up for the stuff to dry). Its hard to go wrong at $1 / SF.. It
                  wouldnt be the prettiest floor, but it would serve our purpose (long
                  lasting, and it can be cleaned of dust easilly)..

                  bobbler

                  --- In JUGGLING_GA@yahoogroups.com, "MindSpring User" <drewbob@j...>

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
                    Hi Bob,

                    I've contacted Richard, but I haven't heard back from him yet. Thanks
                    for all your mental effort on this issue. I believe the particle board
                    is going to have to come up because the new floor should be the same
                    level as the hallway or we'll just have too many problems, such as
                    cutting all the doors, people tripping over a little step-up, the
                    weight of the floor in the old building, etc. I think once we talk to
                    Richard, who is in the floor business, he can tell us the best way to
                    go. He can probably get us flooring at wholesale prices or maybe some
                    used flooring, if we don't go with our idea of using plywood. I'll pass
                    on your researched ideas with him when I talk to him.

                    Sincerely,

                    Dave Altman

                  • Dan the Man
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
                      I would also hesitate building the floor up much more. Perhaps remove
                      the particleboard currently on top, and the plywood floor underneath,
                      and start anew?

                      --- MindSpring User <drewbob@...> wrote:

                      > All
                      > The "underlayment" particleboard (""because it's not actually
                      > being used as underlayment) isn't suitable for tile.
                      > The plywood under that may be suitable, barring water damage
                      > (probably localized). There's also a layer of old-fashioned black tar
                      > mastic on that plywood, which held the old linoleum tiles down.
                      > Today's latex adhesives might not stick well to that, and it would be
                      > difficult to remove it.
                      > I also would hesitate to install a floor that would be hard to
                      > fix, as anything glued down would be. That's an advantage of
                      > screwed-down plywood panels.
                      > I think we should consult with Richard Huber, our real flooring
                      > expert.
                      > DrewBob

                      __________________________________
                      Discover Yahoo!
                      http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
                        Dan,
                        You're about one and half hours behind the conversation, but thanks for
                        your comment.
                        (See my post at 11:04)
                        Sincerely,

                        Dave Altman

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
                          Hi Ya'll,

                          Good news. I talked to Richard and he is coming to look at the floor on
                          Tuesday and to juggle.