Forrest Fund

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2005
      Forrest Fund
      c/o Dave Altman
      369 Rabbit Skip Road
      Eatonton, GA 31024

      As many of you already know, I am collecting money to allow Forrest
      Hobbs to go to the IJA Festival in Davenport. The goal is $1,500.00 and
      as of today we have $1,230.00. If anyone wishes to donate please send
      me a check ASAP. I would like to send Forrest a check for at the
      $1,500.00 or more! by next week. He will receive a Festival Package
      from the IJA and with your help we can provide his transportation and
      housing.

      Note: Please make the checks out to: "Dave Altman" but in the memo area
      put "Forrest Fund" and I would rather people send checks and not cash.

      Below is a post I made on the IJA forum a while back:

      DAVE: This is NOT a official IJA request, this is a project that I
      have started on my own. There are other IJA members that support this
      as humans and NOT board members or as an official IJA members or as an
      official anything.

      For those who have been to a few festivals and have wore off all their
      "brand newness," you have seen a smallish man with a big, generous
      heart. He is a walking, talking history book of performing in
      Vaudeville to the present. He is full to the brim with stories and when
      he attends a festival, everyone that comes in contact with him leaves
      with a smile on their face. He is also, a master roper, I am talking
      about Forrest Hobbs.

      Forrest has had some health problems, but anyone who is as active as he
      is in his middle eighties, is doing O.K. Forrest had an eye problem
      that effected his depth perception, so he can't drive. This has slowed
      down his performing and he can't drive to the festival.

      I am starting a "Forrest Fund" to help him with transportation and
      housing. So far, I have one other unofficial human and myself pledging
      $10 each to help Forrest come to Davenport. I am going to give my
      address as to where to send the donations. Hopefully, I won't get a
      spam increase. The goal is to reach $1,500. Thanks to the generous
      offers pouring in, we only need $1,480 more.

      Forrest Fund
      c/o Dave Altman
      369 Rabbit Skip Road
      Eatonton, GA 31024

      If Forrest can come, he will perform at Planting the Juggling Seed
      which will be a good experience for the kids to see a real, live,
      Vaudevillian. It represents a rich part of juggling and variety acts'
      history and we need people like Forrest to "pass the torch" and to
      "plant a seed of juggling" to the younger generation, as Bobby May
      symbolically did to Anthony Gatto in 1981.

      Here's a blurb on Forrest:

      Mr. Hobbs is a Professional performer & instructor from Belen, New
      Mexico. He has been
      roping for seventy-five years. He has performed in Vaudeville,
      entertained Jimmy Stewart on
      the Queen Elizabeth coming back from over seas after World War II and
      has done countless
      performances at elementary schools throughout the United States. He
      also juggles, cracks
      whips, uses air guns to shoot at stationary and moving targets and is a
      proficient gun spinner.
      He is 83 years of age.  He has shared many stories and 'constructive
      criticisms' with Loop.

      Dave, a juggler