Re: [JUGGLING_GA] Director and AJA jugglers

  • Dan the Man
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 6, 2005
      I think I jave a good idea of what Dave is envisioning. The problem is
      the shows that Dave are referring to didn't happen in a single
      rehearsal of 15 or 20 minutes, it was more like the culmination of a
      private workshop of about 8-15 hours throughout the week.

      What is MORE likely to come together in my opinion is something similar
      to what we've done on cruise ship talent shows with the "Howard Family
      Jugglers". Several short 20-30 second prop demonstrations by some
      people, culminating with some larger club passing patterns ending with
      everyone coming out with their designated prop at the end for a visual
      cornucopia of the many props.

      That type of show works for a general public audience, but we're going
      to have a large number of jugglers in the audience. I'm not sure it
      would be received as well.

      === message truncated ===

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 6, 2005
        Jay,

        You are thinking too complex. Of course, you are a complex guy. Think
        simple. Passing is more complex than I am thinking. When I said "juggling
        together" I meant at the same time, not some big hugh passing pattern. I am
        thinking, for example, everyone in a line doing a cascade at the same time,
        then the first person starts a "wave" doing a shower for ten throws, then
        returns to a cascade, as the next person in line does the same thing and the
        overall pattern of the group moves down the line. This could be done as a
        smaller group, while another similar group does something else. Two or three
        people could pass a diabolo, a couple of others bounce balls, etc. If anyone
        passes clubs, they should be "rock solid" and do a very simple pattern. It
        is the whole being greater than its parts. Everyone's part will be simple
        for them, but the overall effect will be complex, because we hopefully will
        have over thirty people doing a bunch of different things, so we need to
        share similar patterns so that it doesn't look like a big mess. Simple,
        simple, simple.

        Everyone should be doing a task that they can do for ten minutes without a
        drop in practice easily, and in the show for 3 mintues straight. It will
        look the best with NO drops, and that should be our goal, not to push our
        juggling skills and show everyone our limits. If there is a drop, the
        overall pattern should be able to continue and not create a large void.

        Rodger agreed to be the artist director, but he wants some help because he
        doesn't have too much time to devote to this either. Can anyone volunteer to
        work something out with Rodger?

        Dave Altman, "Un malabrarista y el presidente"

        | In all seriousness though, Alan made a good point. A smaller group of the
        better passers - you know who you are - has a better chance of producing an
        effective, simple routine(s) that would go over well with the public. If
        there are quite a few that want to participate there could be 2 or 3 groups
        doing different routines either sequentially or side by side, all perhaps
        coming together at the end for a finale. -J

        | |
        | | Dave,
        | |
        | | When you say everyone who is an AJA member, how many people does that
        | | include. We have quite a few members who rarely/never come to
        meetings.
        | | The choreographer will need an idea of how many people will be
        performing
        | | in order to design the piece; and then will need tremendous cat
        herding
        | | ability to actually get people together for practicing.
        | |
        | | Alan
        | |
        | |
        | |
        | | At 06:07 PM 1/5/2005 -0500, you wrote:
        | | >We need someone to volunteer to direct an AJA juggling piece for ALL
        AJA
        | | >jugglers to do while the judges are deciding who gets the "Phil's"?
        It
        | would
        | | >require setting up at least one rehersal and choosing the music, if
        there
        | is
        | | >any used. (highly recommended)
        | | >
        | | >My idea is that we do something like Peter Davidson and John have
        done,
        | that
        | | >is, very, very, simple juggling done in a choreographed manner.
        | | >
        | | >Remember we are having a DVD done, and we need everyone that is an
        AJA
        | | >member to participate in this piece, regardless of juggling skills or
        | | >performance experience. We will all be in our "comfort zone" in the
        | | >juggling. This will look good because it will be choreographed group
        | juggle,
        | | >not for "hot" individual juggling. If anyone has suggestions, please
        post
        | | >them here.
        | | >
        | | >Dave Altman, "Un malabrarista y el presidente"
        | | >

        | | >@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
        | | >
        | | >TO JOIN EMAIL ONLY, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:
        | | >Juggling_GA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        | | >TO JOIN VIA WEB (YOU GET MORE OPTIONS):
        | |

        | up/JUGGLING_GA/join
        | | >
        | | >TO EDIT EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION (or UN-SUBSCRIBE):
        | |

        ><Http://www.YahooGroups.com/group/juggling_ga>Http://www.YahooGroups.com/gr
        | oup/juggling_ga
        | | >TO UN_SUBSCRIBE, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:
        | | >
        | | >VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION web site:
        | | ><Http://www.atlantajugglers.org>Http://www.atlantajugglers.org
        | | >VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION TwIki page:
        | |

        ><http://tomshiro.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/AJA/WebHome>http://tomshiro.org/cgi
        | -bin/twiki/view/AJA/WebHome

        | GGLING_GA/
        | | >
        | | > *
        | | > * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        | | > *

        | | > *
        | | > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
        | | > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of Service.
        | |
        | | --
        | | Alan T. Tidwell alan.tidwell@... Phone:
        (404)385-3562
        | | Program Support Manager Fax:
        | (404)385-6122
        | | Georgia Institute of Technology Web:
        | www.glcc.gatech.edu
        | | Global Learning & Conference Center
        | |
        | |
        | |
        | | @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
        | |
        | | TO JOIN EMAIL ONLY, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:
        | | Juggling_GA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        | | TO JOIN VIA WEB (YOU GET MORE OPTIONS):
        | |
        | | TO EDIT EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION (or UN-SUBSCRIBE):
        | | Http://www.YahooGroups.com/group/juggling_ga
        | | TO UN_SUBSCRIBE, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:
        | |
        | | VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION web site:
        | | Http://www.atlantajugglers.org
        | | VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION TwIki page:
        | | http://tomshiro.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/AJA/WebHome
        | |
        | | Yahoo! Groups Links
        | |
        | |
        | |
        | |
        | |
        | |
        | |

        | @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
        |
        | TO JOIN EMAIL ONLY, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:
        | Juggling_GA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        | TO JOIN VIA WEB (YOU GET MORE OPTIONS):
        |
        | TO EDIT EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION (or UN-SUBSCRIBE):
        | Http://www.YahooGroups.com/group/juggling_ga
        | TO UN_SUBSCRIBE, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:
        |
        | VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION web site:
        | Http://www.atlantajugglers.org
        | VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION TwIki page:
        | http://tomshiro.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/AJA/WebHome

        | c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        Service.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 6, 2005
          Hi Dan, et al,

          You almost have what I am envisioning, which is, the "cornucopia" at the end
          without the other stuff before it. Like some huge juggling machine where it
          more or less starts together and it stops together. Like a beautiful sunset,
          the audience can look at its favorite part or glance from one part to
          another at their visual leisure.

          There are nine normal juggling meetings between now and Groundhog Day and we
          can and should take advantage of these times to work out several of the
          parts, then when Rodger gets with us on Saturday morning, it will be a final
          runthrough and not a creating session.

          Dave Altman, "Un malabrarista y el presidente"

          | I think I jave a good idea of what Dave is envisioning. The problem is
          | the shows that Dave are referring to didn't happen in a single
          | rehearsal of 15 or 20 minutes, it was more like the culmination of a
          | private workshop of about 8-15 hours throughout the week.
          |
          | What is MORE likely to come together in my opinion is something similar
          | to what we've done on cruise ship talent shows with the "Howard Family
          | Jugglers". Several short 20-30 second prop demonstrations by some
          | people, culminating with some larger club passing patterns ending with
          | everyone coming out with their designated prop at the end for a visual
          | cornucopia of the many props.
          |
          | That type of show works for a general public audience, but we're going
          | to have a large number of jugglers in the audience. I'm not sure it
          | would be received as well.
          |

          | --- Jay <jjajones@...> wrote:
          |
          | > Great idea Cyn!
          | >
          | > In all seriousness though, Alan made a good point. A smaller group
          | > of the better passers - you know who you are - has a better chance of
          | > producing an effective, simple routine(s) that would go over well
          | > with the public. If there are quite a few that want to participate
          | > there could be 2 or 3 groups doing different routines either
          | > sequentially or side by side, all perhaps coming together at the end
          | > for a finale. -J

          | > |
          | > | Dave,
          | > |
          | > | When you say everyone who is an AJA member, how many people does
          | > that
          | > | include. We have quite a few members who rarely/never come to
          | > meetings.
          | > | The choreographer will need an idea of how many people will be
          | > performing
          | > | in order to design the piece; and then will need tremendous cat
          | > herding
          | > | ability to actually get people together for practicing.
          | > |
          | > | Alan
          | > |
          | > |
          | > |
          | > ALL AJA
          | > "Phil's"? It
          | > would
          | > if there
          | > is

          | > have done,
          | > that

          | > an AJA
          | > skills or
          | > the
          | > group
          | > juggle,
          | > please post

          | > |

          | > up/JUGGLING_GA/join

          | > |

          ><Http://www.YahooGroups.com/group/juggling_ga>Http://www.YahooGroups.com/gr
          | > oup/juggling_ga

          | > |

          ><http://tomshiro.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/AJA/WebHome>http://tomshiro.org/cgi
          | > -bin/twiki/view/AJA/WebHome

          | > GGLING_GA/

          | > |
          | > | --
          | > | Alan T. Tidwell alan.tidwell@... Phone:
          | > (404)385-3562
          | > | Program Support Manager Fax:
          | > (404)385-6122
          | > | Georgia Institute of Technology Web:
          | > www.glcc.gatech.edu
          | > | Global Learning & Conference Center
          | > |
          | > |
          | > |
          | > | @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
          | > |
          | > | TO JOIN EMAIL ONLY, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:
          | > | Juggling_GA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          | > | TO JOIN VIA WEB (YOU GET MORE OPTIONS):
          | > |
          | > | TO EDIT EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION (or UN-SUBSCRIBE):
          | > | Http://www.YahooGroups.com/group/juggling_ga
          | > | TO UN_SUBSCRIBE, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:
          | > |
          | > | VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION web site:
          | > | Http://www.atlantajugglers.org
          | > | VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION TwIki page:
          | > | http://tomshiro.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/AJA/WebHome
          | > |
          | > | Yahoo! Groups Links
          | > |
          | > |
          | > |
          | > |
          | > |
          | > |
          | > |

          | > @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
          | >
          | > TO JOIN EMAIL ONLY, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:
          | > Juggling_GA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          | > TO JOIN VIA WEB (YOU GET MORE OPTIONS):
          | >
          | === message truncated ===

          | Yahoo! Mail - 250MB free storage. Do more. Manage less.
          | http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
          |

          | @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
          |
          | TO JOIN EMAIL ONLY, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:
          | Juggling_GA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          | TO JOIN VIA WEB (YOU GET MORE OPTIONS):
          |
          | TO EDIT EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION (or UN-SUBSCRIBE):
          | Http://www.YahooGroups.com/group/juggling_ga
          | TO UN_SUBSCRIBE, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:
          |
          | VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION web site:
          | Http://www.atlantajugglers.org
          | VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION TwIki page:
          | http://tomshiro.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/AJA/WebHome
          |
          | Yahoo! Groups Links

        • LUIC
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 6, 2005
            I like to pass clubs... But dont know routines..
            Also, I have a high quality digital camcorder..
            Not that I want to spend the weekend taking videos though (or watching
            my camera not to disappear)..
            But if its needed, we can figure something out..

            Bobbler
          • LUIC
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 6, 2005
              I remember doing 7 club triples (a fairly easy pattern) "over" a normal
              pattern... I thought it looked cool... and it was easy.. This was a
              few years ago at the Dekalb Arts thing (by the airplanes)..

              Bobbler
            • Jonathan I Perry
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 6, 2005
                On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 22:27:38 -0500 LUIC <bobbler@...> writes:
                I remember doing 7 club triples (a fairly easy pattern) "over" a normal
                pattern... I thought it looked cool... and it was easy.. This was a
                few years ago at the Dekalb Arts thing (by the airplanes)..

                Bobbler
                Oh right... I remember that one... where Charles was so happy about
                juggling torches..... :)

                - Jonathan
                www.Jugglah.com

                ___
                JIP
                (Juggle In Peace)

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 6, 2005
                  Bob et al,

                  Simple, simple, simple. Something you can do ten minutes in practice and
                  three minutes on stage! Bob, you would be lucky to do a seven club triple
                  pattern for thirty seconds, and much less over a "normal" pattern.

                  Think to yourself, what can I do when I have the flu, half-drunk, and a
                  sprained ankle. That is what level you should be thinking. Simple! For you
                  Bob, the highest risk trick I would think of is three club doubles, of
                  course you can do much more than that, but that is the whole point. Think
                  well within your limits. There will be many others on stage depending on you
                  and helping you. You don't have to impress everyone by yourself.

                  If passing is what you want to do, think of something like six clubs in
                  every other doubles. Its high and lofty and could be done for a couple of
                  minutes. That by itself, would be boring to the audience, but in combination
                  with what everyone else is doing, it would be plenty.

                  Simple.

                  Dave Altman, "Un malabrarista y el presidente"

                  | I remember doing 7 club triples (a fairly easy pattern) "over" a normal
                  | pattern... I thought it looked cool... and it was easy.. This was a
                  | few years ago at the Dekalb Arts thing (by the airplanes)..
                  |
                  | Bobbler
                  |

                  | @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                  |
                  | TO JOIN EMAIL ONLY, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:
                  | Juggling_GA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  | TO JOIN VIA WEB (YOU GET MORE OPTIONS):
                  |
                  | TO EDIT EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION (or UN-SUBSCRIBE):
                  | Http://www.YahooGroups.com/group/juggling_ga
                  | TO UN_SUBSCRIBE, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:
                  |
                  | VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION web site:
                  | Http://www.atlantajugglers.org
                  | VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION TwIki page:
                  | http://tomshiro.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/AJA/WebHome
                  |
                  | Yahoo! Groups Links

                • LUIC
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 7, 2005
                    I was talking about being fully drunk Dave, LOL..

                    Bobbler