[JUGGLING_GA] Thanks for the RESTAURANT REFERRALS (need directions)...

  • LUIC
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hey,

      Anyone who gave referrals for our out of town guests..
      Nows the time for corrections/additions/etc..
      Please add clear directions from the gym (if that was not already
      done..)..
      Then I will make corrections below...
      IE: Go North on Druid Hills to PT road (should be enough)..
      I am going print and make copies of the text below
      (so URLs will not help either)..

      Bobbler

      S O M E N E A R B Y R E S T A U R A N T S

      From: charles.shapiro

      Havana Sandwich Shop Corner of Buford Hwy and N. Druid Hills.
      Excellent sandwiches, bare-bones decor, often crowded lunchtimes.
      Serves canned beer only for alcohol. Order a pressed sandwich. Also has
      a small side-grocery of exotic Cuban sauces and canned goods. Cheaper
      than average.

      Panahar Restaurant In the shopping center on the East side of Buford a
      mile or so N of the intersection w/ N. Druid Hills. Run by a friend.
      Excellent Indian/Pakistani food. No liquor license. Pretty ritzy.

      Phuket Thai Restaurant In a small shopping center on the East side of
      Buford Highway North of Panahar. Excellent Thai cuisine, worth the
      trip. Pretty Ritzy.

      Pancho's Less than a mile South of the intersection of Buford and N.
      Druid Hills on Buford Highway, on the East side of the street. You can
      see their sign easily from the highway. Tex-Mex, giant margaritas. If
      the weather's nice you can sit under their spiffin' tree on the patio
      out back. 'Course in February it's likely to be a bit nippy. Big
      margaritas. Expect to pay $5-$10 for lunch.

      tons of interesting restaurants along Buford North of N. Druid Hills.
      It's Little Juarez through there. Further North it turns into Little
      Cambodia, with more interesting cool places.

      From: Bobbler

      If there is a restaurant you went to last year that you really liked,
      someone at the desk will probably still have last years restaurant map.

      NEARBY 5 min by car.. From the gym, go South.. Cross over the
      expy.. Make a right into the shopping center where you see a Gradys
      and a Moe’s restaurant. There is a cool deli in here, and a pizza by
      the slice place.. Also a salad specialty place (lettuce souprise you)..

      OK CAFÉ 404-233-2888.. About 15-20 min drive, but a pretty good
      place.. Meat/vegetables (about $10 per plate).. Usually open until
      midnight.. From the gym area, take 85 south, then 75 North.. Exit
      Northside / West Paces Ferry Exit (don’t take the first Northside exit
      you see).. Turn Left at end of expressway ramp (look right).. GET
      BACK ON EXPRESSWAY (75 South).. Not the way you came: When leaving
      the parking lot, look for the street that goes “under” the expressway..

      OHOP Breakfasts.. (close around 2 or 3 PM) These are breakfast
      specialty places (kind of expensive, but the only game in town for
      fruit crepes, fancy pancakes and waffles, etc (al kinds of egg plates
      too of course).. There are two nearby; both about 5 minutes by car) :
      OHOP-1 85 south to the Lenox / Cheshire Br exit (turn left off expy
      ramp.. Go to Lavista and make a Left and look Left (or turn into the
      movie theatre lot just before Lavista)..
      OHOP-2 Head North to Peachtree and make a right. Go a mile or three
      and it will be on your Left..

      DECATUR SQUARE Probably 15-20 min.. Drive around the “Square” area;
      there is a mellow mushroom pizza, Thai Bowl, Taco Mac, NY Pizza (pretty
      good) by the slice on Church St.. And several places in the actual
      square (walk around)..

      VIRGINIA HIGHLAND AREA About 15-20 min.. Take Druid Hills South, go
      across the expy.. Right onto Briarcliff.. As you pass Lavista, there
      is a WHOLE FOODS GROCERY on the left.. Continue a ways and make a
      right onto Johnson Rd (there will be a large grocery store on the
      left).. This street turns into highland.. There will be several
      pockets of restaurants in the next 3-4 miles or so.. First pocket:
      Good cheap Thai (on the right; Doc Cheys).. Good mex on the left..
      Pocket two: San Fran coffee (one of the best coffee places around)..
      Another half mile and you get to the actual Virginia and highland
      intersection (lotsa stuff). These is a Italian ice cream specialty
      place.. Another mile: ARH on right (good breakfasts/coffee, also lunch
      and dinner stuff).. Surin (Thai on right).. One of my fav Thai places
      (great prices, esp before 2:30 PM).. If you skip the right turn onto
      Johnson Rd above (just stay on Briarcliff), you will eventually come to
      the little 5 points area (near last years festival, and the AJA
      juggling space).. Savage Pizza (on the right, near Junkmans Daughter)
      has some good pizza. Several restaurants (and some eclectic
      shopping)..

      From: philion (Paul's Picks)...

      Walking distance from Cross Keys close to the Brookhaven MARTA
      station, on Peachtree.

      Bajaritos Good, fresh, health barritos. Beer and wine served. Salads
      and soft tacos. Reasonable prices, good food. I eat there often.
      http://atlanta.citysearch.com/profile/3013492

      Mellow Mushroom Great pizza/subs. Lots of beer on tap. Ceilings tall
      enough for club tricks. Free WiFi. What else could you possibly need?
      http://www.mellowmushroom.net/directions.html#brookhaven

      Chin Chin Good Chinese, reasonable prices. Nice sit down. Also take out
      or delivery.
      http://www.chinchinatl.com/chinchin1.htm

      Terra Grille More "healthy" stuff, plenty of vegetarian options. Nice
      sit down.

      Jocks and Jills Sports bar... but if you're looking for a sports bar,
      it does the job nicely.

      Meehan's A little upscale for an Irish pub, but it's a good place to
      drink Guinness.
      http://www.meehansalehouse.com/

      These are all places that I go to regularly.

      - Paul

      From: throwmonkey

      The Rusty Nail is next to the CVS pharmacy at the corner of N. Druid
      Hills and Buford Hwy (about 1 mile from this year's festival space).
      The Rusty Nail features a full bar, great hamburgers and wings but the
      main draw is the BBQ.  In front of the restaurant is a hugh
      functional smoking gun.  The chicken and pork smoked in this
      contraption is, well, like butta! Enjoy!

      Nomail1781

      Havana Sandwich Shop There is a little place right at Buford Highway
      and N Druid Hills that has the best Cuban Sandwiches in Atlanta (they
      keep getting the votes in Creative Loafing). It's called Havana
      Sandwich Shop. It's at 2905 Buford Hwy 30329. (404) 636-4094 is their
      phone number. Also, there is a ton of fast food on both Buford Hwy and
      North Druid Hills on the other side of the highway. Local restaurants
      that are close by include Grady's Grill, Old Country Buffet (if you're
      in the mood for a heart attack from eating too much), Terra Grill, and
      every fast food place known to man, including healthier fast food
      choices such as Subway, Boston Market, Chick-fil-A, and Piccadilly.
      Hope this helps some.

      Jimmy Robertson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
        Is "OHOP" a new restaurant that I don't know about or is that IHOP? Would it
        be possible to have a price range instead of "pretty ritzy" or "cheaper than
        normal" ? It looks like a very good list of restaurants, if people can't
        find the kind of food they like, they are even picker than I am.

        Dave Altman, "A vegan, un malabrarista y el presidente"

        From: throwmonkey

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • LUIC
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2005
          OHOP is fairly expensive compared to waffle house.. Its not IHOP..
          Its breakfast specialty..
          As for the directions.. out of towners may have no reference where to
          go from the gym...
          Just wanting to try and make it easier to read the quickie directions..

          Bobbler