Bizzoso Café and Fiesta

  • Shifalo, Toni
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2004
      DEAR AJA: Following is the official scoop on the festa this weekend. So far only Ray has volunteered to come juggle on Saturday afternoon from 2-4pm at Horizon School with me. Don't let the $100 ticket price scare you...we just figured if you could say "$10 or PAY WHATEVER YOU CAN", you could just as easily say "$100 or PAY WHATEVER YOU CAN". I figure two hours of juggle time is worth at least $50 per hour...and an impromptu 2-5minute juggle performance Thur-Fri-Sat evening could be worth up to $200 of donation--more than enough to cover your ticket price, especially if you make a small monetary donation too. Just give me a clue if you're inclined to come so I can inform the ticket takers.

      Note that Friday night the DVO plays , Lisa Q will do a monlogue, and I will do my new Afghan War Rug piece
      Thanks, Toni

      BIZZOSO CAFE AND FIESTA

      Normando Ismay, a.k.a. Papa Bizzoso, FUNdraiser for
      medical funds and the establishment of a resource for
      artists' healthcare

      VISUAL & PERFORMING ARTISTS CONVERGE FOR THREE DAYS
      OF PERFORMANCE AND ART

      *
      WHEN: THURSDAY OCT. 14 - SATURDAY OCT. 16, 2004
      WHERE: THE HORIZONS SCHOOL, 1900 Dekalb Ave., Atlanta,
      Café Bizzoso Oct 14 -16
      Café Bizzosos are a legendary part of the Atlanta art
      scene, and this one promises to be the largest one to
      date as artists from around the country converge to
      join Papa Bizzoso in this FUNdraiser.
      Café Bizzoso is an installation of paintings, signs,
      and fabric art that turns any space into an intimate
      performance venue where guest artists -from hip hop,
      modern dance, tango, performance artists, theatre,
      music, storytelling, spoken word, bands and more- will
      take their turn on the stage,
      Café Bizzoso hosts a house band that keeps the music
      going, while Papa Bizzoso weaves stories that string
      the acts together and reveal the vast Bizzoso family
      history - which Papa claims we are all a part of.
      There is always the opportunity for someone from the
      audience to perform, too.

      Doors open at 7:30 with a different dance lesson every
      night. Tango on Thursday, Ballroom on Friday and
      Salsa on Saturday.
      At 8 PM, Papa Bizzoso will set the stage for the
      evening.

      Audience is encouraged to drop in at any time, and
      stay for as long as they like, or come and go as they
      please, enjoying the diversity of performers and
      performances.
      Café Bizzoso Line Up (Subject to change)
      THURSDAY : Gabriela Lopez and Tango Rio, Mick Kinney
      and the Orphan Waif Band, Elise Witt (global and local
      music), Vientos del Pueblo (Andean music), Jhon Strunk
      (dance), Wayne Smith (dance), Deb Hiers (poetry),
      Carolyn Morris (music), Alice Lovelace (word wizard),
      Fung Africa (music and dance from the Congo), Lori
      Guarisco (dance)
      FRIDAY: Deluxe Vaudeville Orchestra, Toni Shifalo
      (poetry), Seaberg Acrobatic Poetry, Cynthia Watts
      (storytelling), Theresa Davis (champion slam poet),
      Lisa Mount (monologue), Z Axis unplugged (music),
      Celeste Miller (spoken word /dance), Kodac Harrison
      (music), Jaehn Clare (monologue), Alice Teeter
      (poetry), Sundog Quartet (music), Shanti (dance),
      Night Flight (music), Elise Witt (global & local
      music)
      SATURDAY: The Ukulele Ladies, Beverly Botsford
      (drumming & story), Omari Fox (hip hop artist),
      Intijacta (South American music), Sincodiga (Latin
      rock), Veronica Lugue Nojuez (poetry), Julia de Leon
      (gypsy dance), Sueño Latino (theatre), Orgullo Latino
      (theatre), Kevin Dunn (music), Celeste Miller and
      Normando Ismay ("Adios Nonino"), Elise Witt
      Every Night: Normando Ismay, a.k.a. Papa Bizzoso and
      Priscilla Smith as Mama Bizzoso

      FIESTA BIZZOSO
      Saturday Oct. 16
      From 11 AM until Café Bizzoso starts
      The buildings and grounds of Horizon School will be
      full of activities for all ages that celebrate the joy
      of art-making. For the novice and the experienced,
      workshops will be led by master artists sharing their
      skills in rotating workshops and ongoing projects. On
      this great family day you can come take a hip hop
      workshop with Omari Fox, make a song with Elise Witt,
      a talking-dance with Celeste Miller, a doll with
      Theresa Davis, and more
      Join Jeff Mather in a site specific sculpture
      adventure, paint a mural with Papa Bizzoso, or juggle
      with the Atlanta Juggler's Association. Take a break
      for delicious food, and to enjoy the Artists'Market
      or step into Cafe Bizzoso for the music.
      At 4:00 Cafe Bizzoso will be taken over for The Kid's
      Bizzoso as performance for and by children will take
      place, with storytelling, music and dance.
      At 6:00PM there will be more food and a chance to
      meet the artists.

      FOR MORE INFORMATION, TICKETS, RESERVATIONS CALL
      404-653-0951
      WWW.ALTERNATEROOTS.ORG/BIZZOSO
      EMAIL: BIZZOSO_C@...

      Café Bizzoso (OCT 14-16) and Fiesta (OCT 16)
      Suggested donation $100 or PAY WHATEVER YOU CAN

      WHY THE BIG BIZZOSO?
      Normando Ismay, a.k.a. Papa Bizzoso, was diagnosed
      with malignant melanoma this summer. He had surgery
      on August 16, and the good news is that the test
      results show that the cancer had not spread. The bad
      news is that, like many artists and 41 million other
      Americans, Normando doesn't have health insurance.
      In light of Normando's situation and in recognition
      that a "for profit" health care system is an atrocity
      in a country as advanced as the United States -
      performing and visual artists are coming together to
      do something about the situation. Normando and other
      artists are forming a Collective for Artists's Health
      Resources, that will serve as a resource to direct
      artists to affordable health insurance, and a
      replinishable fund for artists to borrow emergency
      funds from.

      This event is being organized with the generous
      support and assistance of Alternate ROOTS and the
      artists of Alternate ROOTS and special thanks to
      Horizons School for the donation of their space.

      Please Join Us, or send friends, or send us your best
      wishes!!!!
      If you want You can make your contributions to:
      Alternate ROOTS, and write "Normando Medical" in the
      memo section, and mail to Alternate ROOTS, 1083 Austin
      Ave, Atlanta, GA 30307.

      Call me with questions, etc.
      Ciao, Celeste

      =====
      Celeste Miller
      www.celestemiller.com
      email: millerceleste@...

      Be well. Be groovy. Vote.
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2004
        Um, today is the 4th. So I thought the fiestival was next week &&
        weekend?

        I'm planning on being there for at least part, but so far I haven't
        thought that far ahead. If it's really the 8th,9th,10th then I have
        serious conflicts.

        -- CHS

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2004
> [...]

          > in a country as advanced as the United States -
          > performing and visual artists are coming together to
          > do something about the situation. Normando and other
          > artists are forming a Collective for Artists's Health
          > Resources, that will serve as a resource to direct
          > artists to affordable health insurance, and a
          > replinishable fund for artists to borrow emergency
          > funds from.
          >
          > This event is being organized with the generous
          > support and assistance of Alternate ROOTS and the
          > artists of Alternate ROOTS and special thanks to
          > Horizons School for the donation of their space.
          >
          > Please Join Us, or send friends, or send us your best
          > wishes!!!!
          > If you want You can make your contributions to:
          > Alternate ROOTS, and write "Normando Medical" in the
          > memo section, and mail to Alternate ROOTS, 1083 Austin

        • LUIC
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2004
            On Oct 4, 2004, at 8:52 AM, Shifalo, Toni wrote:

> [...]
            > in a country as advanced as the United States -
            > performing and visual artists are coming together to
            > do something about the situation. Normando and other
            > artists are forming a Collective for Artists's Health
            > Resources, that will serve as a resource to direct
            > artists to affordable health insurance, and a
            > replinishable fund for artists to borrow emergency
            > funds from.
            >
            > This event is being organized with the generous
            > support and assistance of Alternate ROOTS and the
            > artists of Alternate ROOTS and special thanks to
            > Horizons School for the donation of their space.
            >
            > Please Join Us, or send friends, or send us your best
            > wishes!!!!
            > If you want You can make your contributions to:
            > Alternate ROOTS, and write "Normando Medical" in the
            > memo section, and mail to Alternate ROOTS, 1083 Austin

          • LUIC
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2004
              Sounds fun..
              I expect to do 1 day..

              Bobbler

              On Oct 4, 2004, at 8:52 AM, Shifalo, Toni wrote:
              > DEAR AJA: Following is the official scoop on the festa this weekend.
              > So far only Ray has volunteered to come juggle on Saturday afternoon
              > from 2-4pm at Horizon School with me. Don't let the $100 ticket price
              > scare you...we just figured if you could say "$10 or PAY WHATEVER YOU
              > CAN", you could just as easily say "$100 or PAY WHATEVER YOU CAN". I
              > figure two hours of juggle time is worth at least $50 per hour...and
              > an impromptu 2-5minute juggle performance Thur-Fri-Sat evening could
              > be worth up to $200 of donation--more than enough to cover your ticket
              > price, especially if you make a small monetary donation too. Just
              > give me a clue if you're inclined to come so I can inform the ticket
              > takers.
              >
              > Note that Friday night the DVO plays , Lisa Q will do a monlogue, and
              > I will do my new Afghan War Rug piece
              > Thanks, Toni
              >

              > BIZZOSO CAFE AND FIESTA
              >
              > Normando Ismay, a.k.a. Papa Bizzoso, FUNdraiser for
              > medical funds and the establishment of a resource for
              > artists' healthcare
              >
              > VISUAL & PERFORMING ARTISTS CONVERGE FOR THREE DAYS
              > OF PERFORMANCE AND ART
              >
              > *
              > WHEN: THURSDAY OCT. 14 - SATURDAY OCT. 16, 2004
              > WHERE: THE HORIZONS SCHOOL, 1900 Dekalb Ave., Atlanta,
              > Café Bizzoso Oct 14 -16
              > Café Bizzosos are a legendary part of the Atlanta art
              > t any time, and
            • LUIC
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 5, 2004
                THU and SAT for me..

                (thu contingent of me getting the day off work)..
                And I want to watch the tango performance (thu)..
                If anyone wants to see tango, this is a good opportunity..

                I want to pass clubs... Anyone?

                Bobbler..