RE: [JUGGLING_GA] Digest Number 630

  • Shifalo, Toni
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2003
      Thanks guys, this made my day!!! First Andy's gallant volunteering to attend the meeting for us, then Ron's yankee doodle chitlins, and Chuckie's "outing" confession made me laugh OUTloud!!!!!!!

      I want to thank the club members for the magnificent turnout for the Clarkston Festival. Rodger, Charles, Bobbler, Jay were there from the noon-ish beginning, joined by myself and Joyce for the duration. It was a hot, humid, muggy, muddy sorta day, but the AJA was highly visible, and the group was large enough for the size of this first time festival...the organizers were thrilled at seeing the acutalization of their vision of "hundreds of jugglers on the lawn tossing thousands of objects in the air". Several kids from GMAAC came by, and many others too, to toss up with us, and the mayor of Pinelake who took our workshop a couple weeks ago came by to refresh too. Checks are cut, some are in the mail, and the rest I'll hand out when I see you.

      Toni

    • Rick Purtee
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2003
        Hello from the great northwest,
        I am so happy to hear the good juggling energy was felt across the country.
        As most of you internet junkies know this pass weekend was also the 5th
        Annual Seattle International Jugglers Festival. This was first time I have
        taken on the full festival my self it was quite an interesting affair.
        However, my years of helping on the Groundhog Day Festival stood me well and
        I believe everyone had a good time.

        This is a very different festival the first thing is the place. The festival
        is held at what is known as The Center House at Seattle Center. This is what
        amounts to a vary large mall style food court. There is also a fair large
        grass field adjoining this building. The cool part about it is the location
        at the base of the Space Needle, very nice views. This time of year the
        weather is normally sunny and 75 deg. 50% humidity, so overall not a bad
        spot. No problem going somewhere for food, just step off the main juggling
        space it's right there (Yes there is a Starbucks too, they are everywhere
        out here). This also means that we cannot charge admission, the entire thing
        runs on donations.

        The Cabaret show was Friday starting around 11:00. It is much more of an
        open mike night type show, we did have a live band this year. Has with most
        of these types of show some good some bad.

        The public show was Saturday in the Center House space, there is a stage and
        they set up chairs and once again the show is by donation. Overall the show
        went very well and I believe we actually made it paid for the weekend.

        Other then that is was a fairly normal festival. The turnout was real light
        at about 80 registered so most likely about 100 jugglers. We figure with the
        IJA festival so close in both time and space that many people chose to go
        there instead of here.

        I missed ya'll this weekend, I now know exactly how much work it is to put
        on a festival and that Groundhog Day works because enough people working
        together, each doing there part, means the whole thing works without anyone
        killing themselves. I also missed your friendships as well.

        Look me at Reno, I do have some stores to tell.

        Rick Purtee
        Director
        Seattle International Juggler Festival
        director@...

        P.S. Yes Charles, that does mean I have pull my own bloodless (well mostly)
        coupe and taken over the Cascade Jugglers (well for the most part).

[...]

        VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION web page:

        PICTURES FROM GROUND HOG DAY JUGGLERS FESTIVAL:
        http://atlantajugglers.home.mindspring.com/gh01.htm
        http://atlantajugglers.home.mindspring.com/gh02.htm