Re: Orlando Juggling Club

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2002
      Erm, we are not very organized on bylaws. I think we have some, and we
      also have a bank account.

      The most important thing is to keep having meetings at the same time and
      place. It can take a while to get a critical mass of people going, and
      you'll get to juggle alone at a few meetings. As Woody Allen said,
      'Eighty percent of anything is just showing up.'.

      We charge dues, but admission to the meetings is free. The dues involved
      a newsletter subscription for a while, but the internet has made that
      unneccessary. We tried club props for a while, but discovered it was
      actually better to settle on a standard and let folks buy their own
      stuff. Tennis balls with sand in 'em make good teaching props, and we do
      have a good supply of those.

      Come to the festival, we'll talk! I'm the weird lookin' guy in the
      sweatpants and ugly athletic glasses.

      -- CHS

      On Sat, 2002-12-21 at 09:23, Javier Cubero wrote:
      > Hi! My name's Javier Cubero, and I'm trying to get an Orlando Juggling club
      > going. We have about 4-5 people who meet twice a month at a park, but I'm
      > trying to gather all the Orlando talent and get them organized. That's
      > where you come in. I was wondering if AJA has actual written by-laws or
      > something of that kind (and if I could have a copy to base our club on),
      > what procedures you have in place for officer election, treasury, etc. Do
      > you charge dues?
      > I've got a million or so questions. Basically, I want to establish a club
      > that will keep going, and not fizzle out as several prior attempts
      > (including one by me 6-7 years ago) have done. I think having some formal
      > structure will help. We even have some club equipment! One person donated
      > an old set of airflites, and my wife made about 20 juggling beanbags for
      > beginners.
      >
      > I realize you guys are probably quite busy talking with Phil about
      > Groundhog's Day - congratulations, by the way. 25 years is something to be
      > proud of! Any help or information you can give me will be appreciated.
      > Hopefully, I'll be at Groundhog's Day with some other Orlando Jugglers.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Javier
    • Bobbler
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 30, 2002
        Charles,

        I didnt see an email addy to send to Javier Cubero (yahoo strips out addys to
        stop spam). So could you please fwd this?

        Javier,

        I believe the IJA can help you with the structure.

        Bobbler @ earthlink.net

        -- Bobbler@... --