5008Re: [JUGGLING_GA] Dekalb County Library juggling class

  • Bobs Bs Mail
    Mar 9, 2014
      I got the flu.. Sorry I missed it.

      On Mar 9, 2014, at 5:12 PM, Jay Jones <masterofplay@...> wrote:

      Kudos Charles, et al.

      A new Anthony Gato was born yesterday!  -J

      On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 11:53 AM, Charles Shapiro <hooterpincher@...> wrote:

      Caroline, Allen, Bruce, Keith, and I had a great time teaching the juggling class to 12 intrepid students at the Salem-Panola Library in Lithonia yesterday.  Class was in a good-sized instruction room off the main entrance, isolated enough from the library itself that we could move, talk, and drop things without disturbing the other patrons.  We started off by doing some simple demonstrations of club passing, ball juggling, and other basic forms, then moved into the standard one-ball, two-ball, three-ball class format. We concluded with some brief demonstrations of other juggling forms, including cigar-box, diabolo, devil-stick, and kendama. The filled tennis balls held out for the most part, although some of them are starting to scatter sand and rice.

      The class was all adults, mostly older and female, but they caught on pretty well.  Bruce's able explanation and cajoling had much to do with that.  One lady brought her son L.J, who can already run a 3-ball juggle.  We taught him steals, overthrows, high throws, and claw catches in a matter of minutes, and started him on body throws and other fun.  I learned later that he plays trumpet in his school band, so told him about Kelly's Seed and Feed Marching Abominable.  It'd be great if he can figure out a way to make it to Little 5 Points.

      Ev Shepherd, the branch manager there, was delighted to have us and expressed interest in trading meeting space for periodic workshops.  I have her contact information for anyone interested. The library is about 20 minutes from Decatur by car, but appears to be outside MARTA's service area and about an hour's bike ride from the Indian Creek station according to GMaps. It's a really nice space, with ceilings perhaps 14 feet high, carpeting, and good lights.

      This is just the kind of outreach program which the AJA is uniquely suited for.  It really only takes hobby-level juggling skills, allows for charitable endeavor at little cost, and helps both us and the community.  And who knows, you might teach the next Anthony Gatto (or his mom).

      I currently owe a meal to Keith, Bruce, Caroline, and Allen.

      -- CHS

      On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 10:06 AM, Andy Ford <wobble@...> wrote:

      Nope, not far OTP. I hope to be there too.
      DB

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic