Re: 60 Meter Freqs.

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2013
      Phil,

      60-Meter worldwide amateur frequencies are such a mixed bag that a summary or list becomes a complicated task. An excellent summary is available here: http://hflink.com/60meters/

      Here in the U.S., the dial frequencies for standard USB phone can be used for JT9, but only at the +1500 slot. If the +1500 slot's in use, you currently cannot legally offset to, say, +1400 to start another QSO. Arcane and illogical, yes, but that's how it is at the moment. We can only hope that this band becomes more unified among countries/regions in the future.

      The five dial frequencies (most transceivers) for USA (USB phone):
      5.3305
      5.3465
      5.3700
      5.3715
      5.4035

      For JT-9 use, these dial frequencies, and ONLY at the +1500 offset, may be used. This puts your transmission at exactly at the center of these government-style channels.

      As 60-meter enthusiasts know, the last frequency (5.4035) is common with UK (and a few others), allowing for across-the-pond QSOs.

      --jim, KJ3P

      --- In JT9digitalhams@yahoogroups.com, "planet_ka1gmn" <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

      > Jim,
      >
      > Thanks for pointing this omission out. How about providing the group with a list of recommended channels that are permitted in the US along with the applicable +1500Hz offsets? Then maybe you can further assist the group by expanding the list of channels/freqs on 60M that are permitted in other regions. I am sure with this diverse collection of members, you will have plenty of willing help.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Phil de KA1GMN

    • Phil Williams
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2013
        Thanks for the info.  In regard to the +1500Hz offset; is there a tolerance specified?  As in we must operate on the center frequency with +x/-y Hz?

        --
        Phil KA1GMN

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2013
          Phil,

          I re-checked the FCC rules regarding this, and I see no tolerance explicitly stated; only that data modes should be centered on-channel, which is the +1500 mark on the waterfall.

          Of course, to be really, really correct, since the JT9 bandwidth is what, 16 Hz, I suppose you could set your TX freq at +1492. But you could just as legally be operating a digital mode that takes up nearly an entire 2.8 kHz channel (like Pactor -- 2kHz?), so what's a few Jt9 Hz among friends?

          --jim, KJ3P