Introductions

  • planet_ka1gmn
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2013
      Phil KA1GMN

      I live in Euless, Texas. I am just southwest of the DFW International Airport. Originally I am from Maine. I got my call sign in 1981 when I took the technician test at the FCC office in Boston.

      Most of my activity is on the digital modes with a focus on the WSJT modes like JT65A, JT9 and WSPR. I like to operate QRP and see just how far these modes will carry across the planet. I also like the weak signal aspect of WSJT modes - meaning what ever power it takes to be detect above the noise floor at great distances.

      JT9 is of a special interest to me as it takes up less bandwidth that J65A. I think there are some interesting possibilities with a digital signal that only takes up 7 Hz. There is a whole lot of spectrum out there that this mode could squeeze in to. While JT9-1 is interesting, I hope that the interest in JT9-2 will increase. JT9-2 makes for an excellent QRP mode where 100mW or so offers some really fascinating possibilities.

      Antennas have always been a never ending learning process for me. I don't think that you can ever know enough about them. Last year, I finally put the effort forward to learn how model simple wire antennas in software. I use MMANA-GAL for antenna modeling. To date, I've done a two element 17 meter delta loop and 30 meter signal element delta loop and have been please with the results of both. With the 30 meter delta loop and influences from the fine folks over at The Planet, I have become to appreciate the advantages of window line and developed a passion for homebrewed antenna matching units.

      BALUNs are yet another interest. Well, if you are building antennas, you eventually end up falling in to the strange universe of BALUNs. I have experimented with a number of designs by various operators. Most of the time, I am trying to separate fact from fiction with BALUNs.

      I think have enough air time with JT9 to be able to help out others wanting to get started exploring this interesting mode.

      Phil de KA1GMN