Version 1.3 r3573 CW ID Issue

  • Ed Wilson
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2014
      Colleagues,

      I have been using r3673 for a few days now and just realized last night that the program was not sending my call using CW after the 73, even though I had that option checked in the configuration. Is it just me or did something get overlooked before compiling the latest release?

      Ed, K0KC
    • Ed Wilson
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2014
        Sorry about the typo in the subject header...that should be r3673.

        Ed, K0KC

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2014
          I send it anyway, even though I am located in the US and it is not required. As I understand it, some countries do require it (not sure which ones, if any), so it should be working in WSJT-X for the benefit of hams in those countries.

          Ed, K0KC

          May I ask why one needs to send the CW-id? I can understand if a countries regulations require it but here in the US it is no longer required.

          73,
          Tim Herrick, KQ8M
          Charter Member North Coast Contesters
          kq8m@...

          AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2014
            David,

            If you look at §97.119, you will see that station ID is permitted by RTTY using a specified digital code.
            If you look at §97.309, the lines between RTTY and data emission becomes blurred.
            Any data emission protocol is legal as long as the technical details are documented publicly and the intent is not to obscure the content of the transmission.
            (There is the little "detail" about the USA must have an agreement with a foreign country to communicate with that country with that data mode).

            _________
            73,
            Jim – N4ST

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2014
              Hi Joe,

              I must ponder this... I am not sure I agree, but I need to look over
              the wording a bit more... Thanks for taking the time to point it out...
              --
              Thanks and 73's,
              www.nk7z.net

              On Sun, 2014-02-02 at 17:04 -0500, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

              > > Could you cite where Part 97 allows ID by JT65/9 modes please?
              >
              > Since RTTY in Part 97 does not refer specifically to what amateurs
              > call RTTY (5 bit Baudot code) - the definition of RTTY is in
              > 97.3(c)(7)
              > - and amateurs are allowed to identify "(3) By *a* RTTY emission using
              > a specified digital code when all or part of the communications are
              > transmitted by a RTTY or data emission;" to quote your own reference,
              > identifying in JT65 or JT9 when transmitting in JT65 or JT9 is
              > entirely
              > legal for US licensed amateurs.
              >
              > 73,
              >
              > ... Joe, W4TV
              >
              > On 2/2/2014 4:43 PM, David Cole wrote:
              > > Respectfully my interpretation of 97.199 is that you must ID at
              > least at
              > > the end of a transmission, and if the conversation goes on for
              > longer
              > > than 10 minutes, then as well...
              > >
              > > See:
              > >
              > http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=a622be5748e72a252c42fd85da133ec4&node=47:5.0.1.1.6.2.159.10&rgn=div8
              > >
              > > If I read this correctly it clearly states only CW, Voice, and RTTY
              > may
              > > be used for ID. CW at less than 20 WPM, Voice in English, and Video
              > in
              > > either color or mono.
              > >
              > > Could you cite where Part 97 allows ID by JT65/9 modes please?

            • David Cole
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2014
                Hi Jim,

                Maybe it is just me but I read the following from 97.119:

                (3) By a RTTY emission using a specified digital code when all or part
                of the communications are transmitted by a RTTY or data emission;

                I read that as saying that no matter what mode you are using digitally,
                you must ID using RTTY of a specified code.

                I take this to mean that the RTTY ID must be 5 bit... Anyway, thank you
                all for your inputs here. I am still unsure...
                --
                Thanks and 73's,
                www.nk7z.net