Instability

  • Arthur York
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 18, 2013
      Sometimes the traces on my waterfall look like stacks of poker chip that are leaning.  This is especially true on  10m JT9.  At it's worst, I cannot decode the signals.  My clock is accurate.  Any suggestions on what is causing this instability?

      Art  K0AY
    • Joel
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 18, 2013
        Just thinking out loud - I don't see how the PC clock setting could do that - that time is used to sync the
        start stop times and does not have anything to do with your display.

        Given that the display is showing audio output from the sound card,  what could cause the output of
        your sound card to drift in frequency?  What kind of interface are you using, soundcard calibrated / set up
        correctly,  voltage constant to the sound card.

        Maybe someone can comment if this is the correct block diagram.

        Xcvr Analog audio --> Cable ---> Sound card ---> Digital audio ---> USB cable ----> PC ---> Soundcard Codec ---> JT9 Application

        On 11/18/2013 10:01 AM, Arthur York wrote:

        Sometimes the traces on my waterfall look like stacks of poker chip that are leaning.  This is especially true on  10m JT9.  At it's worst, I cannot decode the signals.  My clock is accurate.  Any suggestions on what is causing this instability?

        Art  K0AY

        No virus found in this message.

        KQØJ
      • Robb Ramos
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 18, 2013
          I noticed this weekend during the European PSK Club PSK63 contest that I could not stay on signal, it would drift a bit. I was using HRD 5.2x, the last freeware version. I use HRD with WSJT-x, don't know if it's germane to topic but toughgt I'd throw it out there.

          Robb KD5SFI

          Arthur York <arthur@...> wrote:

          Sometimes the traces on my waterfall look like stacks of poker chip that are leaning.  This is especially true on  10m JT9.  At it's worst, I cannot decode the signals.  My clock is accurate.  Any suggestions on what is causing this instability?

          Art  K0AY
        • Bruce Blackburn
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 18, 2013

            “Looking like a stack of poker chips” indicates to me that the computer is busy and the sound card is slipping a processor clock tick, that is not the same as the real time clock for starting and stopping the transmission. When the microprocessor is busy it will wait for the current process to finish before starting the next process in it’s stack.

            I have this problem with trying to decode pictures on my computer I run a Winradio WR-G33DDC SDR receiver on. The pictures don’t show the slant that is common, it shows the image offset in stair steps. If I run the audio to another computer that is only handling the image decoding, I will get perfect pictures.

            How many other processes are running on the computer? Can any be shut down to free up processor time?

            If running Windows, maybe try checking the “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” under the sound card input properties. There are other properties there that can reduce the load placed on the processor that can be adjusted as well.

            Bruce

            N0NHP

          • Ken
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 18, 2013
              It could be the software adjusting itself.   I don't see this with WSJT-X but JT-65-HF shows it very pronounced at the start of the time cycle.   I did find mention in the JT-65-HF documentation that says the program is adjusting and that it's not a problem.

              Ken  WA8JXM

              On Nov 18, 2013, at 11:01 AM, Arthur York wrote:

              Sometimes the traces on my waterfall look like stacks of poker chip that are leaning.  This is especially true on  10m JT9.  At it's worst, I cannot decode the signals.  My clock is accurate.  Any suggestions on what is causing this instability?

            • afa1yy