160 Meter Activity

  • scottpa1960
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2013
      I really enjoy 160 meters and always looking for JT65 and JT9 QSO's on top band. However, it seems that very few participate on the band. There has to be more than the same group of us with an antenna for it. I am space limited myself and have a total of 120 ft. wire in the shape of an Inverted L. It works great and is good for those with limited space yards.

      Hope to see some new activity on the band, both stateside and worldwide.

      Scott
      KN3A

      (Posted in both JT65 and JT9digitalhams forums)
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2013
        Scott,

        Well I've been very pleasantly surprised with the JT65 activity on 160.  It's early in the season, so I expect activity to pick up.   I have been amazed at how well JT65 does on 160 considering that I'm only using an 80m dipole about 15' high!   I'm new to JT65, so I guess I'm still in the "easy to impress" stage, LOL.

        I've just started tonight getting WSJT-X to run so JT-9 may be in my future.  However, after a limited start with WSJT-X, it's now crashing every time I bring it up :(

        73,
        Ken WA8JXM

        On Nov 4, 2013, at 9:32 PM, <scolit@...> <scolit@...> wrote:

        I really enjoy 160 meters and always looking for JT65 and JT9 QSO's on top band. However, it seems that very few participate on the band. There has to be more than the same group of us with an antenna for it. I am space limited myself and have a total of 120 ft. wire in the shape of an Inverted L. It works great and is good for those with limited space yards.

        Hope to see some new activity on the band, both stateside and worldwide.

        Scott
        KN3A

      • Mike Anderson
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2013
          Seems odd Ken. JTX has been very stable for me with no crashes at
          oll on W7 or W8. Good luck on finding root cause. Does it crash
          in safe-mode? What else is running in the background?

          Mike
        • Ken
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2013
            Mike,

            Well the crashing is related to creating the fonts.txt file. The text in the Band and Rx windows are too small and very difficult to read. The documentation says to create a fonts.txt file with one line it it, but when I do that, WSJT-X crashes on startup and I have to reinstall.

            I also have not figured out the driver settings for getting it to talk with the Elecraft K3, but I can live without that for now.

            73,
            Ken WA8JXM