160 Meter Activity

  • scottpa1960
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 4, 2013
      I really enjoy 160 meters and always looking for JT65 and JT9 QSO's on top band. However, it seems that very few participate on the band. There has to be more than the same group of us with an antenna for it. I am space limited myself and have a total of 120 ft. wire in the shape of an Inverted L. It works great and is good for those with limited space yards.

      Hope to see some new activity on the band, both stateside and worldwide.

      Scott
      KN3A

      (Posted in both JT65 and JT9digitalhams forums)
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 4, 2013
        Scott,

        Well I've been very pleasantly surprised with the JT65 activity on 160.  It's early in the season, so I expect activity to pick up.   I have been amazed at how well JT65 does on 160 considering that I'm only using an 80m dipole about 15' high!   I'm new to JT65, so I guess I'm still in the "easy to impress" stage, LOL.

        I've just started tonight getting WSJT-X to run so JT-9 may be in my future.  However, after a limited start with WSJT-X, it's now crashing every time I bring it up :(

        73,
        Ken WA8JXM

        On Nov 4, 2013, at 9:32 PM, <scolit@...> <scolit@...> wrote:

        I really enjoy 160 meters and always looking for JT65 and JT9 QSO's on top band. However, it seems that very few participate on the band. There has to be more than the same group of us with an antenna for it. I am space limited myself and have a total of 120 ft. wire in the shape of an Inverted L. It works great and is good for those with limited space yards.

        Hope to see some new activity on the band, both stateside and worldwide.

        Scott
        KN3A

      • Mike Anderson
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 5, 2013
          Seems odd Ken. JTX has been very stable for me with no crashes at
          oll on W7 or W8. Good luck on finding root cause. Does it crash
          in safe-mode? What else is running in the background?

          Mike
        • Ken
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 5, 2013
            Mike,

            Well the crashing is related to creating the fonts.txt file. The text in the Band and Rx windows are too small and very difficult to read. The documentation says to create a fonts.txt file with one line it it, but when I do that, WSJT-X crashes on startup and I have to reinstall.

            I also have not figured out the driver settings for getting it to talk with the Elecraft K3, but I can live without that for now.

            73,
            Ken WA8JXM

          • w5xz@att.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 3, 2014
              hi guys:

              i'm hammering away thru the sluggish summer months w JT9 and
               700w....hoping to pull some dx out of the noise...

              shoot, PSKreporter makes me think nobody is even listening, huh?

              P29NO is listening for me at my sunrise...but no joy, yet...

              73, w5xz, dan    total digi-mode-newbie

            • hal.k6rf
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 7, 2014
                700 Watts your kidding right ?
              • w5xz@att.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 8, 2014
                  no, i'm not kidding.  what's wrong with 700 watts on a band that
                   is virtually dead?  I spend almost all my time on 160m, and see
                   summer rbn spots from guys i know who are normally readable. But,
                   this time of year there is nothing...zip...nada.

                  so, what's wrong with some QRO to try to blast through lousy
                   conditions?

                  maybe 1500w would be better?

                  73, w5xz, dan

                • hal.k6rf
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 8, 2014
                    Hi Dan, well first let me say my knowledge of 160m is limited to 5 cw contacts in the last 52 years. I never really developed an interest in 160.
                    Perhaps that kind of power on a digital mode on 160m is the norm there. It is just the first I have heard of that kind of power being used on JT9 on any band especially seeing what happens on the higher frequencies when a high power station comes on and all signals on the waterfall disappear as a result of being captured by it.
                    Like I said, Amazing !

                    Hal
                  • Ken
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 8, 2014
                      I have been on and off active on 160m for 50 years, back from when we were limited by FCC rules to 25 watts in some segments, 50 or100 watts in other segments.

                      160 used to be known as "the gentleman's band" where nobody used high power and we were all on similar ground, unlike the HF bands where a KW was common, especially in the phone segments.  DX on 160 used to mean working the coast (unless you were Stu, W1BB).

                      160 has obviously changed and has become just like the HF bands.   That's probably a good thing.

                      JT65/JT9 are weak signal modes, almost exclusively run with low power.

                      All of that said, I have often thought that it makes sense to run high power on 160 when conditions are bad, such as the summer time.   What other band do you really need high power for anything other than out yelling your competition?

                      So yes, I agree about running high power when the band is noisy and propagation is terrible.   I just hope that those amps collect dust during the winter ;-)

                      I don't have a dog in this discussion, I sold my SB-220 some 40 years ago.

                      73, Ken WA8JXM

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 8, 2014
                        'top band' still IS 'the gentlemen's band', for the most part...

                        it's extra challenging from suburban QTH's. but, with some sort of vertical,
                         ( a g5rv with the feeders tied in parallel, fed against ground, works surprisingly well )
                         and as many radials as you can get out, it's usable.  low dipoles just
                         don't seem to cut it, for dx'ing, unless you live on the edge of a cliff.

                        a directional Rx antenna helps a lot also; I use a HiZ 4sq, on opposite
                         sides of my house, plus a pair of K9AY's fed 180 out, per K4IQJ..
                         on a small lot, it's imperative to de-tune, or float, the Tx antenna during
                         receive, in my experience.

                        w KW power on cw, it's not too tough to get DXCC in a season or two,
                         unless you live on the west coast..< grin.. >

                        just trying to extend the season with my first attempts at digi modes.
                         any advice appreciated.

                        73, w5xz, dan