Re: JT9 signal reports

  • g4ilo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2013
      I think it shows that what you can hear or work at any given time is more to do with propagation conditions than anything else.

      Julian, G4ILO

      --- In JT9digitalhams@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <gm0ntl50@...> wrote:

      > I still find the disparity in signal reports received and sent using JT9 very confusing.
      > Does anyone have a simple explanation? Does output power have any relevance in this? With my 2 watts, I receive a wide variation in reports.
      >
      > 73 Ron GM0NTL

    • Bill Kasper
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2013
        Hi Julian and Ron,

        I agree with you about the propagation being the
        most important factor in JT9 QSOs. Using about
        5 Watts, I have received reports from -27 to +5.

        A power formula (that works for me and my antenna
        as a starting point) is to reply to someone at the
        absolute value in watts of his signal strength -- for
        example, if I receive him at -06, I answer with about
        6 watts; if I receive him at -15, I answer with about
        15 watts.

        (|his sig strength| * 1 Watt) = my power out

        I did have an issue about a month ago with TX: my
        rig/laptop combination works best with the WSJT-X
        internal DirectX sound drivers.

        Others' comments???

        Tnx es 73 de Bill K WB2SXY
        ----------
        On 7/5/2013 5:46 AM, g4ilo wrote:
        > I think it shows that what you can hear or work at any given time
        is more to do with propagation conditions than anything else.

        > Julian, G4ILO
        >
        > --- In JT9digitalhams@yahoogroups.com, "Ron"<gm0ntl50@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> I still find the disparity in signal reports received and sent
        using JT9 very confusing. Does anyone have a simple explanation?
        Does output power have any relevance in this? With my 2 watts,
        I receive a wide variation in reports.

        >> 73 Ron GM0NTL

        -----
        No virus found in this message.