JT9 signal reports

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 21, 2013
      I still find the disparity in signal reports received and sent using JT9 very confusing.
      Does anyone have a simple explanation? Does output power have any relevance in this? With my 2 watts, I receive a wide variation in reports.

      73 Ron GM0NTL
    • Rick Johnson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 21, 2013
        Hi Ron,

        I find that watching the RB's will give you a good idea of what power you
        need and signal reports you can expect.

        I find that most of the time I need about 3X the power to get a -12 to -16db
        (what I shoot for) but that power level will yield a + report from Western U.S.
        stations.

        I use only a TS590 and wire antennae, so I can't get too carried away.

        I see the same stations on 20 meter JT65 with signals that completely wipe
        out the waterfall.  Unnecessary in my mind.

        73,
        Rick W3BI

      • gary.liljegren@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 21, 2013
          One of the magic things about JT9 is the signal report system. Since
          the signal report is generated by the system, accuracy is built in. You can over-ride it, but most people probably don't. Therefore, what you see is what you get... unlike CW where people hedge, and PSK where most everyone is a 599 unless they fade out completely. This provides a marvelous system for seeing propagation world-wide. We can watch hams in Japan talking with stations we only wish we could hear, and seeing the relative signal reports from Japan to us and from Japan to the other end of their QSO.
          Lots of times, I have seen someone who I see as -18 and when they come back the next time, they are a +02. Either they increased power enormously, or... they rotated their beam. I suspect the latter. My third contact was K1JT and I was embarrassed that my report from Joe was a +13, but he was a +12 from me... and I was running 10 watts. For whatever reason, my vertical seems to have a heavy directivity to NJ, NY, and New England. And thus, another benefit of JT9. It provides antenna pattern information.
          Thirdly, we are supposed to be using minimum power to maintain the desired contact. Who on 20 SSB does that? We can easily on JT9 watching the reports of the station we wish to contact and use whatever it takes, including 1 watt. I think that's fun!
          Gary W4GAL
        • g4ilo
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2013
            I think it shows that what you can hear or work at any given time is more to do with propagation conditions than anything else.

            Julian, G4ILO

            --- In JT9digitalhams@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <gm0ntl50@...> wrote:

            > I still find the disparity in signal reports received and sent using JT9 very confusing.
            > Does anyone have a simple explanation? Does output power have any relevance in this? With my 2 watts, I receive a wide variation in reports.
            >
            > 73 Ron GM0NTL

          • Bill Kasper
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5, 2013
              Hi Julian and Ron,

              I agree with you about the propagation being the
              most important factor in JT9 QSOs. Using about
              5 Watts, I have received reports from -27 to +5.

              A power formula (that works for me and my antenna
              as a starting point) is to reply to someone at the
              absolute value in watts of his signal strength -- for
              example, if I receive him at -06, I answer with about
              6 watts; if I receive him at -15, I answer with about
              15 watts.

              (|his sig strength| * 1 Watt) = my power out

              I did have an issue about a month ago with TX: my
              rig/laptop combination works best with the WSJT-X
              internal DirectX sound drivers.

              Others' comments???

              Tnx es 73 de Bill K WB2SXY
              ----------
              On 7/5/2013 5:46 AM, g4ilo wrote:
              > I think it shows that what you can hear or work at any given time
              is more to do with propagation conditions than anything else.

              > Julian, G4ILO
              >
              > --- In JT9digitalhams@yahoogroups.com, "Ron"<gm0ntl50@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> I still find the disparity in signal reports received and sent
              using JT9 very confusing. Does anyone have a simple explanation?
              Does output power have any relevance in this? With my 2 watts,
              I receive a wide variation in reports.

              >> 73 Ron GM0NTL

              -----
              No virus found in this message.