Re: [JT9digitalhams] Finer points in using JT9

  • Rick Johnson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 21, 2013
      Hi Ron,

      Welcome to one of the "JT" modes.
      IRT stray calls on different spots on the waterfall....it's common to try to work
      a DX station using the split method.  I sometimes try that but I think most DX
      stations disable multi.  I don't have a whole lot of success with split on JT9.
      Good luck and enjoy the fun mode.

      73,
      Rick W3BI

      On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 3:23 AM, David <djmunn@...> wrote:

      Hi Ron...welcome to the bands with WSJTX JT9 i hope to decode you sometime
      usually on 20m around 0400 to 0700 hrs trying to work good DX
      prop has not been good today with no EU stations

      BTW WSJTX JT9 is not a QRP mode ..it is by its title a weak signal mode
      WS weak signal JT stands for Joe Taylor its author
      someone could be TX 40 watts in EU but in VK he may be  weak signal
      but in EU he may be too strong..it also depends on the propagation
      thats what makes it fun to use

      73 David VK4BDJ

      On 21/06/13 16:41, Ron wrote:

      Over the last few days while using Jt9, I have heard voice spot alerts being broadcast by someone who has not unplugged the mike. I have had several stations replying to my CQ on a different frequency than the one I am using. They have not set Tx=RX obviously. I have also come across a few who admit to Pwr usage of 40 watts and upwards in what is supposed to be a QRP mode :-( The other thorny point is that incorrect spots are being posted on JT Alerts due to carelessness in not keeping an eye on band changes.

      Get your act together folks, please. It is not difficult. I have only been active on this new mode for about 2 weeks but have now got it sussed....I hope :-)

      73 de Ron GM0NTL

    • Ron
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 21, 2013
        Hi David,
        Thanks for the info. I run only 2watts into a Cushcraft A4S and have worked Western Australia 3 times plus Tasmania : all within the last week. So Qrp seems to work for me. Hope to decode you soon.

        73 Ron GM0NTL

        --- In JT9digitalhams@yahoogroups.com, David <djmunn@...> wrote:

        > Hi Ron...welcome to the bands with WSJTX JT9 i hope to decode you sometime
        > usually on 20m around 0400 to 0700 hrs trying to work good DX
        > prop has not been good today with no EU stations
        >
        > BTW WSJTX JT9 is not a QRP mode ..it is by its title a weak signal mode
        > WS weak signal JT stands for Joe Taylor its author
        > someone could be TX 40 watts in EU but in VK he may be weak signal
        > but in EU he may be too strong..it also depends on the propagation
        > thats what makes it fun to use
        >
        > 73 David VK4BDJ
        >

        > On 21/06/13 16:41, Ron wrote:
        > >
        > > Over the last few days while using Jt9, I have heard voice spot alerts
        > > being broadcast by someone who has not unplugged the mike. I have had
        > > several stations replying to my CQ on a different frequency than the
        > > one I am using. They have not set Tx=RX obviously. I have also come
        > > across a few who admit to Pwr usage of 40 watts and upwards in what is
        > > supposed to be a QRP mode :-( The other thorny point is that incorrect
        > > spots are being posted on JT Alerts due to carelessness in not keeping
        > > an eye on band changes.
        > >
        > > Get your act together folks, please. It is not difficult. I have only
        > > been active on this new mode for about 2 weeks but have now got it
        > > sussed....I hope :-)
        > >
        > > 73 de Ron GM0NTL

      • Ron
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 21, 2013
          Hi Rick,
          Thanks for the info on using split frequencies. Personally, I think I would end up in a real mess if I went down that route. However, it might explain the 2 stations who tried to work me off my CQ frequency failing to complete the qso.

          73 Ron GM0NTL

          --- In JT9digitalhams@yahoogroups.com, Rick Johnson <w3bi.rick@...> wrote:

          > Hi Ron,
          >
          > Welcome to one of the "JT" modes.
          > IRT stray calls on different spots on the waterfall....it's common to try
          > to work
          > a DX station using the split method. I sometimes try that but I think most
          > DX
          > stations disable multi. I don't have a whole lot of success with split on
          > JT9.
          > Good luck and enjoy the fun mode.
          >
          > 73,
          > Rick W3BI
          >

          > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 3:23 AM, David <djmunn@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Hi Ron...welcome to the bands with WSJTX JT9 i hope to decode you sometime
          > > usually on 20m around 0400 to 0700 hrs trying to work good DX
          > > prop has not been good today with no EU stations
          > >
          > > BTW WSJTX JT9 is not a QRP mode ..it is by its title a weak signal mode
          > > WS weak signal JT stands for Joe Taylor its author
          > > someone could be TX 40 watts in EU but in VK he may be weak signal
          > > but in EU he may be too strong..it also depends on the propagation
          > > thats what makes it fun to use
          > >
          > > 73 David VK4BDJ
          > >

          > > On 21/06/13 16:41, Ron wrote:
          > >

          > > Over the last few days while using Jt9, I have heard voice spot alerts
          > > being broadcast by someone who has not unplugged the mike. I have had
          > > several stations replying to my CQ on a different frequency than the one I
          > > am using. They have not set Tx=RX obviously. I have also come across a few
          > > who admit to Pwr usage of 40 watts and upwards in what is supposed to be a
          > > QRP mode :-( The other thorny point is that incorrect spots are being
          > > posted on JT Alerts due to carelessness in not keeping an eye on band
          > > changes.
          > >
          > > Get your act together folks, please. It is not difficult. I have only been
          > > active on this new mode for about 2 weeks but have now got it sussed....I
          > > hope :-)
          > >
          > > 73 de Ron GM0NTL

        • Roger Gray
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 21, 2013
            Ron
            Welcome to JT9 it is a very good mode Joe has done a very good job on it.
            I have never seen it listed as QRP and the power out should reflect the
            stations on both ends and the propagation.
            My personal goal is to get a report slightly lower than the station I am
            working
            unless he is almost unreadable.
            I usually run 10 to 15 watts on various antennas and meet this goal but
            not always.
            I have been over 50W on JT9 1 time and that happened in the middle of a qso
            where the prop dropped out and the signals dropped to -30 and intermittent
            at these levels 1.5KW could be weak signal.
            My station is only capable of 100w on digital so will never work any
            with that bad
            of conditions but it is still weak signal.
            At the same time 1 watt with a +30 signal report is too much power.
            Roger