Re: A few generic questions ...

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
      Thanks goys. I didn't want to be stinkin' up the band with lid mistakes!

      --- In JT9digitalhams@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <newsgroup@...> wrote:

      > Makes no difference, odd or even unless you are setting up a sked. :-)
      > I usually pick the next one coming up, after listening/watching a couple of full cycles to make sure the freq is clear.
      >
      > JT65 does not log or report signals over -01. JT9-1 does log and report signals over -01. eQSL, for example will not log a signal report over 00.
      >
      > Sometimes the faintest of traces will decode and sometimes not. I don't know of much the user can do to help the situation. If you have some strong signals in your bandpass dominating your dynamic range, filtering/notching those signals out can help.
      >
      > 73 & have fun,
      > Jim - N4ST
      >
      > --- In JT9digitalhams@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <k3mq73@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I just started using JT modes this week and really like them (espeically JT9-1), but I have a few general questions:
      > >
      > > 1 - when cqing, does it matter if you are even or odd? It seems a majority cq odd but I've never seen a quideline for this.
      > >
      > > 2. I've seen where some people will not send a report with anything over "0" ... no +10, +7, etc. Yet the program may report a positive number. I've been sending and logging the number provided by the program even if over 0. What gives here?
      > >
      > > 3. The program has a slide control for digital gain on audio input (lower left side). Does this have any impact on decoding, or simply reduce the visible splatter on the waterfall?
      > >
      > > 4. Final question ... if you see just a glimmer of a very weak signal on your waterfall, will the program automatically decode it (if possible), or is there something the op can do to increase the success rate?
      > >
      > > Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to use the mode to its fullest.

    • Jim - N4ST
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013

        No problem Bob!  Asking questions is a good thing.

        The two biggest LID/newbie mistakes I see are 1) overdriving the transmit audio so that the JT signal sounds like a chainsaw instead of nice musical tones and 2) having a hot mike which transmits the room audio during the TX period.  (If I want to listen to the Oprah show, I’ll put it on myself, thank you)

        73,

        Jim – N4ST

        Thanks goys. I didn't want to be stinkin' up the band with lid mistakes!