A few generic questions ...

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
      I just started using JT modes this week and really like them (espeically JT9-1), but I have a few general questions:

      1 - when cqing, does it matter if you are even or odd? It seems a majority cq odd but I've never seen a quideline for this.

      2. I've seen where some people will not send a report with anything over "0" ... no +10, +7, etc. Yet the program may report a positive number. I've been sending and logging the number provided by the program even if over 0. What gives here?

      3. The program has a slide control for digital gain on audio input (lower left side). Does this have any impact on decoding, or simply reduce the visible splatter on the waterfall?

      4. Final question ... if you see just a glimmer of a very weak signal on your waterfall, will the program automatically decode it (if possible), or is there something the op can do to increase the success rate?

      Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to use the mode to its fullest.
    • jim_k2qb
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
        Welcome to the digital modes...well I can provide my two cents on a couple of your questiosn and I'm sure soemone with a little more expertise can provide more details:
        As far as CQ'ing I don't think there is any guideline. I call CQ on either time slot and really haven't notice any more or less of a success rate on either.
        I also let the program send out the signal report. Just makes sense to me.
        The digital gain should be adjusted so that with no signal, just noise in the receiver, you get a reading of "0".
        On weak signals the program should decode it if at all possible. I have seen decodes when I don't even see a trace in the waterfall at times.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
          Makes no difference, odd or even unless you are setting up a sked. :-)
          I usually pick the next one coming up, after listening/watching a couple of full cycles to make sure the freq is clear.

          JT65 does not log or report signals over -01. JT9-1 does log and report signals over -01. eQSL, for example will not log a signal report over 00.

          Sometimes the faintest of traces will decode and sometimes not. I don't know of much the user can do to help the situation. If you have some strong signals in your bandpass dominating your dynamic range, filtering/notching those signals out can help.

          73 & have fun,
          Jim - N4ST

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
            Thanks goys. I didn't want to be stinkin' up the band with lid mistakes!

            --- In JT9digitalhams@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <newsgroup@...> wrote:

            > Makes no difference, odd or even unless you are setting up a sked. :-)
            > I usually pick the next one coming up, after listening/watching a couple of full cycles to make sure the freq is clear.
            >
            > JT65 does not log or report signals over -01. JT9-1 does log and report signals over -01. eQSL, for example will not log a signal report over 00.
            >
            > Sometimes the faintest of traces will decode and sometimes not. I don't know of much the user can do to help the situation. If you have some strong signals in your bandpass dominating your dynamic range, filtering/notching those signals out can help.
            >
            > 73 & have fun,
            > Jim - N4ST
            >
            > --- In JT9digitalhams@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <k3mq73@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I just started using JT modes this week and really like them (espeically JT9-1), but I have a few general questions:
            > >
            > > 1 - when cqing, does it matter if you are even or odd? It seems a majority cq odd but I've never seen a quideline for this.
            > >
            > > 2. I've seen where some people will not send a report with anything over "0" ... no +10, +7, etc. Yet the program may report a positive number. I've been sending and logging the number provided by the program even if over 0. What gives here?
            > >
            > > 3. The program has a slide control for digital gain on audio input (lower left side). Does this have any impact on decoding, or simply reduce the visible splatter on the waterfall?
            > >
            > > 4. Final question ... if you see just a glimmer of a very weak signal on your waterfall, will the program automatically decode it (if possible), or is there something the op can do to increase the success rate?
            > >
            > > Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to use the mode to its fullest.

          • Jim - N4ST
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013

              No problem Bob!  Asking questions is a good thing.

              The two biggest LID/newbie mistakes I see are 1) overdriving the transmit audio so that the JT signal sounds like a chainsaw instead of nice musical tones and 2) having a hot mike which transmits the room audio during the TX period.  (If I want to listen to the Oprah show, I’ll put it on myself, thank you)

              73,

              Jim – N4ST

              Thanks goys. I didn't want to be stinkin' up the band with lid mistakes!