Re: XSLT-example (long)

  • egroups_yow
    Message 1 of 39 , Jan 10, 2002
      --- In JSX-ideas@y..., "ks_clarke" <ksclarke@s...> wrote:
      > --- In JSX-ideas@y..., "egroups_yow" <bren@m...> wrote:
      > >
      > > But, there
      > > is nothing to stop you from distributing JSX *without* Xalan, and
      > > leave it for the user to download and install Xalan themselves
      > > (because they are using it, not distributing it).
      >
      > My reading of this:
      >
      > http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation
      >
      > is that if the program (JSX with XSLT) cannot be distributed without
      > relying on software that conflicts with the GPL it is linked to it.
      (Assume I am understanding correctly:) But JSX can be distributed
      without an XSLT engine - this is just an option. JSX would not
      "rely" on XSLT.

      However, with the parsing that Mark has just done, it *would* be
      relying on SAX. I think there must be a GPL-compatible SAX
      implementation around (eg: in public domain, or LGPL), so I don't
      think this is such a problem.

      > This is why, I think, a GPL program could not use Swing and still be
      > GPL compatible. There is no Swing alternative that I am aware of so
      > by writing Swing code you are by necessity linking it to Sun code
      > (which is not GPL compatible).
      Remember, that the GPL restrictions only apply to distribution.
      If the user already has the Swing code (eg they have JDK 1.2 or 1.3
      etc), then it doesn't matter.

      Consider: If this were not true, then no one could write any GPL code
      for Windows - because it would be relying on the Windows OS, which
      is most definitely not GPL! ;-)

      > On the other hand, a servlet that is run in a servlet engine could
      > be GPLed because there are free software servlet engines that
      > could run it (even if the user decides to download Tomcat and use
      > that). Again, I could be wrong but that is my limited
      > understanding.
      I think the issue of aggregation etc only comes into play for
      distribution. Check out the beginning of the GPL itself - it very
      clearly distinguishes between "use" and "distribution".

      > Thanks for a great product Brendan (I'm excited about the XSLT
      > extensions... looks like great stuff),
      Thanks, and I have to agree about the XSLT stuff - it opens up lots
      of doors.

      I think it would be great to begin to establish a library of XSLT
      scripts, for JSX to work with several different formats - MARC, for
      example.

      Cheers,
      Brendan
    • linksspringer
      Message 39 of 39 , Feb 4, 2002
        Hi,
        Netscape doesn't have this problem! I think that Internet Explorer
        somehow notices the XML contained within the ZIP. Weird. Like you
        said, right-clicking solves this.
        Mark
        (PS the XML is from the O┬┤Reilly book "Java and XSLT".)