How to let JSX run on Java 1.5 or higher?

  • Juan Carlos Sanchez Recio
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2007
      Hello,

      I am working on a GPL project which uses the old GPL JSX version, how coud solve this problem:

      ---ATTENTION!---  JSX could not recognize your implementation of java, which is:
              implVendor='Sun Microsystems Inc.'
              specVersion='1.5'
              implVersion='1.5.0_06'
      Please post this information to: jsx-ideas@yahoogroups.com
      In the meantime, JSX will try to use the standard implementation for Java 1.3 - which will probably work
      Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: java.io.ObjectInputStream
      .allocateNewObject(java.lang.Class, java.lang.Class)
              at JSX.magic.MagicClass13.<init>(MagicClass13.java:44)
              at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:494)
              at JSX.magic.MagicClassFactory.newInstance(MagicClassFactory.java:88)
              at JSX.XMLDeserialize.<clinit>(XMLDeserialize.java:111)
              at JSX.ObjIn.<init>(ObjIn.java:54)
              at JSX.ObjIn.<init>(ObjIn.java:88)
              at jfreevote.shared.Serializer.deserialize(Serializer.java:83)
              at jfreevote.server.auth.censusdrivers.XMLFile_CensusDriver.Init(XMLFile_CensusDriver.java:73)
              at jfreevote.server.auth.CensusManager.<init>(CensusManager.java:65)
              at jfreevote.server.JFreeVoteServer.main(JFreeVoteServer.java:66)

      Thanks,

      J. Carlos Sanchez Recio
    • Brendan Macmillan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2007
        Hi,

        Officially, we don't support the GPL version, and work stopped on the GPL codebase before Java 1.5 was released.
        (The commercial version of course supports Java 1.5 and 1.6, but that's not relevant here).

        Here's what I can do:

        1. send you the latest GPL version of JSX, which was for Java 1.4 (in Aug 2004). It also works for Java 1.5. I'll send the jar directly to your address in a separate email.

        2. you'll need to modify to check for the version of Java, so it accepts Java 1.5. It's a simple change. The file is:
          MagicClassFactory.java
        which is in the "JSX/magic" directory of the jar.

        3. WARNING: This will work for most classes, but some classes will not be handled correctly. For example, the new typesafe enums in Java 1.5 require extra coding elsewhere.

        It maybe simpler for you to switch to another project for XML serialization; or you could update the old GPL version of JSX as you go along. It's up to you.

        I hope this is helpful to you.

        cheers,
        Brendan