JDK 1.6.0 Compatibility

  • dcmacrae_boston
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21, 2007
      We have a site license for JSX. We have upgraded our project to
      JDK1.6.0
      and now JSX is complaining. Does JSX continue to operate properly
      despite the message? Do we have to pay to be compatible with the
      latest
      version of the JDK? What are our options?

      **** MESSAGE ****
      ---ATTENTION!--- JSX could not recognize your implementation of
      java, which is:
      implVendor="Sun Microsystems Inc."
      specVersion="1.6"
      implVersion="1.6.0"
      In the meantime, JSX2 will try the standard implementation for Java
      1.4 - which will probably work
      Please post the above information to: jsx-ideas@yahoogroups.com
      - in particular, please state whether the standard implementation
      worked or not, for both writing and reading. Please do a few tests
      before you post.

      If JSX's guess really does work, it can be fixed with:
      if (implVendor.equals("Sun Microsystems Inc.") &&
      specVersion.equals("1.6") && implVersion.equals("1.6.0"))
      magicName = "JSX.magic.MagicClass14";

      **** LICENSE Type****
      From: Brendan Macmillan t/as JSX Enterprises Merchant's cart ID: JSX
      Site Distribution License Authorisation Date/Time: 22/Jun/2004
      15:59:52

      **** VERSION ****
      I don't know what version we are using. There is no version info. In
      the jar manifest. The is no version info in the jar name, such a
      axis-1.1.jar. I did a quick search of the user manual, and did not
      see a runtime way to display jar version.
    • Damien Evans
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 22, 2007
        We just came across this as well.

        An update would be appreciated.  :)

         -- Damien
      • Brendan
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22, 2007
          Hi Duncan,

          Thanks for posting full information.

          > Does JSX continue to operate properly despite the message?
          We have not yet made JSX compatible with Java 1.6 - there is clearly a need for this now.

          > Do we have to pay to be compatible with the latest version of the JDK?
          It depends on what is involved in this update - we have not had a major upgrade since Java 1.4, and there have been many releases since then.

          An Enterprise license includes all future upgrades, major or minor, for free. You have a Site license, which gives you all minor upgrades for free, relative to the version you purchased. For your specific case, these minor upgrades already covered the transition from Java 1.4 to 1.5

          JSX is always distributed with version information in the filename, such as:
              JSX2.2.5.6.jar                  // trial version
              JSX2.2.5.6full.jar              // purchased version
          Sometimes users rename jars and this information is lost.

          The date of your purchase (22/Jun/2004) implies you have version 2.2.1, which was before Java 1.5 support. Your license includes all versions with the same major version number (ie 2.2.*.*), which includes the current version (2.2.5.6).

          > What are our options?
          If the upgrade is major, you need a Site or Enterprise license: http://jsx.org/buy.html

          I'll get back to you next week on this once we've established what is involved in compatibility. We need to consider the cumulative changes since the last major version upgrade (in early 2004 - almost 3 years ago).

          cheers,
          Brendan

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 22, 2007
            Hi Damien,

            Thanks, it's good to hear what is needed. It's the time for Java 1.6 (your enterprise license will cover this, regardless of the work involved).

            cheers,
            Brendan

            On 23/02/07, Damien Evans <damien.daddy@...> wrote:

            We just came across this as well.

            An update would be appreciated.  :)

             -- Damien

          • egroups_yow
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 28, 2007
              --- In JSX-ideas@yahoogroups.com, "dcmacrae_boston" <dcmacrae@...> wrote:

              > Do we have to pay to be compatible with the latest version of the JDK?

              Just to confirm: the just released version of JSX is compatible with
              Java 1.6, and it is free for you because your license covers all 2.2.*
              version of JSX.

              The JSX version you originally purchased was released before Java 1.5
              - and there are some Java features introduced in Java 1.5 (Enums) that
              required special support in serialization.

              I recommend you upgrade. It's free for you.

              I will send you the download URL again (ie for the purchase version,
              that doesn't expire in 30 days) directly.

              cheers,
              Brendan Macmillan