Re: [JSX] Two Issues : JSX detecting JVM and JSX telling us it is expired.

  • Brendan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
      Hi James,

      I've just released a version of JSX that does not output warning messages for your JVM - sorry for the delay. That is, for this JVM:
        implVendor="Hewlett-Packard Co."
        specVersion="1.5"
        implVersion=" 1.5.0.05"

      It is version 2.2.5.3, and is available as both a trial and purchase version.

      I would appreciate it if you could confirm that it works correctly on your actual installation when you get a chance.

      cheers,
      Brendan

      On 30/12/06, Brendan <melbourne.research@...> wrote:
      Hi James,

      Thanks a lot, that's exactly the info I need. I'll get on to it tomorrow.

      cheers,
      Brendan

      On 30/12/06, James Maes <jjmaes@...> wrote:

      Sorry. I went a reply via email last week but looks like it never
      made it into the system.

      Here is a copy of that email:

      Here is the message from JSX while running on the HP's.
      [java] ---ATTENTION!--- JSX could not recognize your
      implementation of java, which is:
      [java] implVendor="Hewlett-Packard Co."
      [java] specVersion="1.5"
      [java] implVersion=" 1.5.0.05"
      [java] In the meantime, JSX2 will try the standard
      implementation for Java 1.4 - which will probably work
      [java] Please post the above information to: jsx-
      ideas@yahoogroups.com
      [java] - in particular, please state whether the standard
      implementation worked or not, for both writing and reading. Please
      do a few tests before you post.

      [java] If JSX's guess really does work, it can be fixed with:
      [java] if (implVendor.equals("Hewlett-Packard Co.") &&
      specVersion.equals("1.5") && implVersion.equals ("1.5.0.02"))
      [java] magicName = "JSX.magic.MagicClass14";

      Also, I wont post the URL that I downloaded the file from, but could
      you send it to me privately since the URL that i used last time no
      longer works.

      --- In JSX-ideas@yahoogroups.com, Brendan <melbourne.research@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi James,
      >
      > Did the current download work for you?
      >
      > When you get a chance, could you send the version info that JSX
      outputs. I
      > need the exact strings to be able to check for them, so I can
      remove these
      > messages for you It would also help me determine how best to avoid
      you
      > seeing these messages in future.
      >
      > I hope you're feeling reassured.
      >

      > cheers,
      > Brendan
      >

      > On 27/12/06, Brendan <melbourne.research@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi James,
      > >
      > > We should be able to fix these hassles up quickly.
      > >
      > > Expired:
      > > I just checked the purchase version now, and confirmed that it is
      working
      > > normally (ie. not expired, and not giving the message you saw).
      > >
      > > (1) Could you download it again, and confirm whether this fixes
      the
      > > problem? This would be a simple fix.
      > >
      > > BTW: I have been working on our release system over the past few
      weeks, so
      > > it is possible you got an incorrect version at the exact time you
      > > downloaded. Seems unlikely, but that would explain what you are
      seeing. The
      > > purchased version of the jar has a few extra characters appended
      to the
      > > filename, relative to the trial version.
      > >

      > > JVM:
      > > The immediate solution to your problem is to add your specific
      JVM to the
      > > next release.
      > >
      > > (2) JSX should write out a detailed report on the JVM version
      etc -
      > > could you include that, please?
      > >
      > > This release should happen within a day of getting that info from
      you.

      > > Yes, you're right that I'd decided to disable the JVM check - but
      this
      > > caused problems for other users. Managing the targetting of
      multiple JVM
      > > versions and manufacturers is difficult.
      > >

      > > cheers,
      > > Brendan
      > > PS: It's late here right now, so I'll revisit the JVM problem in
      detail
      > > tomorrow. The problem is to target your JVM so that you won't get
      your logs
      > > filled up when you upgrade your JVM next time; and that won't
      interfere with
      > > JSX detecting a JVM it hasn't seen before. The difficulty is that
      whenever a
      > > JVM is upgraded, it is a "JVM it hasn't seen before", as it is
      *possible*
      > > the internal implementation of the JVM's serialization has been
      changed (ie,
      > > of JOS, Java Object Serialization) - and JSX relies on this
      internal
      > > implementation.
      > >
      > > But in reality, JOS doesn't change very often; I've only seen it
      change
      > > between major version releases of the specification (Java 1.2,
      1.3, 1.4,
      > > 1.5) - implementation versions haven't changed the implementation
      at all,
      > > in fact. It's not something that other manufacturers want to mess
      around
      > > with either.
      > >

      > > On 27/12/06, James Maes <jjmaes@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Good Morning All.
      > > >
      > > > I have two issues that I am hoping someone can help us address.
      We
      > > > purchased JSX around 9 months ago and have been very happy but
      have
      > > > noticed a couple of little issues recently.
      > > >
      > > > First, we upgraded our version of Java (we run on HP-UX PA-RISC
      > > > systems) to 1.5.5 and now JSX is complaining about not being
      able to
      > > > determine the version of the JVM it is running for and says it
      is
      > > > defaulting to a 1.4 version. I am happy to report that this is
      still
      > > > working fine, it's just filling up our logs and causing the
      Systems

      company@...<company%40jsx.org>