Re: [JSX] Eclipse as a refactoring tool?

  • Brendan Macmillan
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hi Damien,

      > I (and the rest of my team) use Eclipse every day
      > (wintel version) on a very large code base. We use
      > several plugins, the CVS integration, and perform
      > refactoring operations all the time. I've never had a
      > problem.

      Sounds like a ringing endorsement of its trustworthiness.:-)

      Do you need much refactoring?

      > What is probably happening with your imports is that
      > Eclipse is 'organizing' them. You get the same thing
      > with <ctrl> + <shift> + o. In Eclipse 3.0 you can set
      > up the rules for organizing imports by going to Window
      > | Preferences | Java | Code Style | Organize Imports.

      No, that wasn't it.

      But <ctrl> + <shift> + o is fantastic for making depencies
      visible!

      Working with a team of Eclipse users would be good
      for sharing practical tips, as there is clearly an awful lot
      in there.

      > Why do you import and export all the time? Wouldn't
      > it be easier to just keep it there, set up projects,
      > preferences and such, and use it for your IDE?

      It's just a one-off experiment at the moment.

      I've tried many IDE's (including eclipse a few times
      in the past, IDEA and Together [round-trip with
      pretty UML]). They require considerale investment
      in learning and adopting, and didn't actually give
      any productivity gains for me.

      They also got in the way of the low-level access and
      control with JSX. That's frustrating.

      But mainly it's just moving from a familar setup to
      a new environment, and losing all the old invested
      leaerning - especially I already use "ain't broke"...

      However, as refactoring becomes increasely
      important, I really do need a tool for that!

      Hence my experiment for import/export with
      Eclipse, for refactoring. It can then become a
      base, to try out its other features, without being
      locked into it.

      I'm doing "gingerly adoption" for this one! ;-)

      Cheers,
      Brendan

      > -- D
      >
      > --- Brendan Macmillan
      > <Brendan.Macmillan@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > I've been playing with Eclipse for refactoring only,
      > > like this:
      > > 1. import code to Eclipse
      > > 2. do the refactoring you want (eg: change a
      > > package name)
      > > 3. export the code out.
      > >
      > > This seems to work well, except I got stuck on
      > > dialogs some times, without
      > > the reason being clear (maybe eclipse, maybe me).
      > >
      > > It didn't *seem* to wreck my code at all, but it
      > > made more changes than
      > > necessary, which is a disconcerting sign:
      > >
      > > For files that imported a package name that changed,
      > > it only needs to change
      > > the name in the import. However, it instead deleted
      > > the old import line, and
      > > added a new import line, sometimes in a different
      > > place amoungst the
      > > imports. It's a terribly minor change; but
      > > disconcerting, because things
      > > aren't where you put them - and what other changes
      > > might it make, for other
      > > refactorings?
      > >
      > > Both the above things (dialog stuck without a clear
      > > cause; extra source code
      > > changes) make me not quite trust Eclipse.
      > >
      > > Of course, Eclipse wasn't designed to be used this
      > > way, and it's free etc
      > > etc etc - but it would be nice if it was a 100%
      > > neutral environment, that
      > > didn't take over ownership of your code...
      > >
      > > What's your experience with refactoring in Eclipse?
      > >

      > > Cheers,
      > > Brendan

      > > --------------------~-->
      > > Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion
      > > Toolbar.
      > >
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/2U_rlB/TM

    • Damien Evans
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
        --- Brendan Macmillan
        <Brendan.Macmillan@...> wrote:

        > Hi Damien,

        Hi!

        > > I (and the rest of my team) use Eclipse every day
        > > (wintel version) on a very large code base. We
        > use
        > > several plugins, the CVS integration, and perform
        > > refactoring operations all the time. I've never
        > had a
        > > problem.
        >
        > Sounds like a ringing endorsement of its
        > trustworthiness.:-)
        >
        > Do you need much refactoring?

        Yep, all the time. Code evolves, and since we're a
        small company with a team of 5 engineers, refactoring
        isn't as difficult (even with a large code base) as it
        would be in a big software development shop.

        Now I only wish that CVS could handle refactoring as
        well as Eclipse or IDEA. :)

        -- D

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Brendan Macmillan
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
          > Now I only wish that CVS could handle refactoring as
          > well as Eclipse or IDEA. :)

          Doesn't BitKeeper claim to do that? (ie, allow you to change directory
          structures, and conceptually group changes to different parts as the "one"
          change). They of course go to trouble to help people migrate from CVS. Linus
          uses it, so it must be good. ;-)

          Of course, if CVS basically works for you, it's not even worth thinking
          about changing!

          Cheers,
          Brendan
        • Matthew Shields
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2004
            On 1 Sep 2004, at 21:28, Brendan Macmillan wrote:

            > Doesn't BitKeeper claim to do that? (ie, allow you to change directory
            > structures, and conceptually group changes to different parts as the
            > "one"
            > change). They of course go to trouble to help people migrate from CVS.
            > Linus
            > uses it, so it must be good. ;-)
            >
            > Of course, if CVS basically works for you, it's not even worth thinking
            > about changing!

            Look at subversion, http://subversion.tigris.org/ it fixes a lot of the
            bugs/annoyances with cvs. There's plugins available for both Idea and
            Eclipse. If you can use CVS then it's really not much of a change. This
            is a nice short article for cvs users switching to subversion
            http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/08/19/subversiontips.html

            Matt
            --
            Matthew S. Shields BSc(hons), Research Associate Triana-Grid Project,
            School's of Physics & Astronomy/Computer Science, Cardiff University
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 12, 2004
              Brendan, things seem to be fine with this Java
              implementation and JSX. Could you turn around a fix
              for this? Our logs are filling up. ;-)

              -- Damien

              ---ATTENTION!--- JSX could not recognize your
              implementation of java, which is:
              implVendor="IBM Corporation"
              specVersion="1.4"
              implVersion="1.4.2"
              In the meantime, JSX2 will try the standard
              implementation for Java 1.4 - which will probably work
              Please post the above information to:
              jsx-ideas@yahoogroups.com
              - in particular, please state whether the standard
              implementation worked or not, for both writing and
              reading. Please do a few tests befo
              re you post.

              If JSX's guess really does work, it can be
              fixed with:
              if (implVendor.equals("IBM Corporation") &&
              specVersion.equals("1.4") &&
              implVersion.equals("1.4.2"))
              magicName = "JSX.magic.MagicClass14";

              http://messenger.yahoo.com
            • Damien Evans
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 22, 2004
                Brendan & JSX users,

                Below is some log output from running one of our
                applications under BEA JRockit 1.4.2. Any ideas? Has
                anyone else had problems with JRockit?

                -- Damien

                22 Oct 2004 15:35:53,891 INFO [TMJobManager ]
                Updating job status to [TMJobState: Value=2
                Description=ACTIVE]
                ---ATTENTION!--- JSX could not recognize your
                implementation of java, which is:
                implVendor="BEA Systems, Inc."
                specVersion="1.4"
                implVersion="1.4.2_04"
                In the meantime, JSX2 will try the standard
                implementation for Java 1.4 - which will probably work
                Please post the above information to:
                jsx-ideas@yahoogroups.com
                - in particular, please state whether the standard
                implementation worked or not, for both writing and
                reading. Please do a few tests before you post.

                If JSX's guess really does work, it can be fixed
                with:
                if (implVendor.equals("BEA Systems, Inc.") &&
                specVersion.equals("1.4") &&
                implVersion.equals("1.4.2_04"))
                magicName = "JSX.magic.MagicClass14";

                22 Oct 2004 15:35:53,901 ERROR [TMJobManager ]
                Exception caught while kicking off jobs.
                java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: JSX/magic/MagicClass14
                at
                java.lang.Class.forName(Ljava.lang.String;I)Ljava.lang.Class;(Unknown
                Source)
                at
                JSX.magic.MagicClassFactory.newInstance()LJSX.magic.MagicClassI;(MagicClassFactory.java:223)
                at
                JSX.ObjectReader.<init>(Ljava.io.Reader;Ljava.lang.ClassLoader;)V(ObjectReader.java:1805)
                at
                JSX.ObjectReader.<init>(Ljava.io.InputStream;)V(ObjectReader.java:96)
                at
                com.teramedica.util.TMSerializationHelper.deserialize(Ljava.lang.String;)Ljava.lang.Object;(TMSerializationHelper.java:63)
                at
                com.teramedica.domain.hibernate.TMDBJob.getIdentifyingContext()Lcom.teramedica.util.TMIdentifyingContext;(TMDBJob.java:170)
                at
                com.teramedica.domain.hibernate.TMDBJob.getRequestMessage()Lcom.teramedica.ti2m.job.TMJobRequest;(TMDBJob.java:539)
                at
                com.teramedica.job.TMJobManager.runJobs(Ljava.util.List;Z)V(TMJobManager.java:159)
                at
                com.teramedica.job.TMJobManager.runJobs()V(TMJobManager.java:98)
                at
                com.teramedica.job.TMJobTimer.begin()V(TMJobTimer.java:53)
                at
                com.teramedica.job.TMJobBootstrapper.start()V(TMJobBootstrapper.java:51)
                at com.teramedica.job.TMJobBootstrapper.main([Ljava.lang.String;)V(TMJobBootstrapper.java:129)

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail