Trek RPG action

  • djthorsilver
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009
      Hi all,

      With all this talk of Traveller, and the appearance of the new Trek movie in Japanese theatres (well worth a watch, by the way!), I thought I might run a Star Trek RPG game for a future game day, with the possibility of a continuing campaign if there's interest.

      I have access to both the Star Trek RPGs by Decipher and by Last Unicorn Games. I'm open to running a game using either system; both have their quirks and their advantages, and both do a fine job of capturing the appropriate Trek flavour in their own unique fashion. For a bit of background and an absurd amount of support material for the Last Unicorn system, check here:

      http://www.coldnorth.com/memoryicon/

      For the same sort of stuff for the Decipher CODA System, check here:

      http://strpg.patrickgoodman.org/

      For the Game Day scenario I'd run a introductory 'episode' which could be set in either the original series/movie timeframe or the Next Generation timeframe, depending on what people would be most familiar with.

      Sound good to anyone? Any preferences for system, timeframe, etc.? I tend to lean toward the Decipher system, mainly because the starship battle system is pretty sweet.

      Cheers,

      Eric
    • scott
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009
        What do you think are the main differences? I have never really wanted to play before, but the new Star Trek makes me rethink my stance.
      • djthorsilver
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2009
          Sorry for replying so late! Busy week....

          Basically, out of the two major recent Trek RPG systems, it kinda breaks down this way. Decipher uses the CODA System, which plays very well, particularly in ship combat (all the characters have different jobs on the bridge during battles, and there's lots of cool maneuvers you can do), but the character generation is terrible because those parts of the books are badly organised. The books cover all the Star Trek series at once, no dedicated books for different series.

          The Last Unicorn games are very focused on skills, and character generation is much easier than Decipher, but the ship-to-ship stuff isn't as detailed. However, one of the designers put out a free fan supplement which fixes this, and it's very detailed! They put out different core books for the different eras of Trek: one for the original series, one for TNG, and one for DS9. They lost the license to Decipher before getting to Voyager/Enterprise. The original series books are known for being fantastic in particular, capturing the feel of the original series/characters perfectly and providing tons of cool adventure ideas.

          As for what I have, I've got every Decipher book they released, including PDF-only supplements, and I've got the Last Unicorn original series books. I'm happy to run either, depending on what people are up for :)

          Hope that helps!

          Cheers,

          Eric