Re: Saitama Game Day May 31st

  • akalamduk
    Message 1 of 20 , May 1, 2009
      --- In JIGG@yahoogroups.com, "scott" <scottnjapan@...> wrote:

      > I will surely be there!
      >
      > I think I am just going to run one thing so that I will have some time to play as well.
      >
      > I am probably going to be running the MAID demo at the Yoyogi Uehara game day.
      >
      > So this means I'd really like to run "MONSTERS and Other Childish Things" I need only 2 or 3 players (4 max). It will be 2 hours and 30 minutes. We will make our own monsters as that is a big part of the fun!!! Bring a very dark sense of humor and a desire to devour, shred, dissolve, dominate, constrict, poison or burn anything that stands in your way.

      OK, so:

      *Scott is (maybe) running Monsters and Other Childish Things for 2-4 players. 2h30m

      *I have a finished scenario for something akin to OD&D (a personal variant of Swords and Wizardry) that I will definitely run for 3-5 players. This will represent a quasi-ongoing campaign world I hope to get going. I expect it to last 3-4h.

      *I will be trying to finish up the details of my modern horror scenario, and if so will try to run it at some point. This should last no more than 2h30m if all goes well.

      No doubt there will be all sorts of board games as well - last time there was a dizzying variety that never even got opened.

      Scott - maybe we could work out some kind of schedule to post so that people know which games are when - that way they can plan attendance accordingly. Natch, this is something to consider closer to the day.
    • scott
      Message 2 of 20 , May 3, 2009
        I am for sure going to be running Monsters and other Childish Things.

        If I may, can I have the 3:30 to 6:00 slot? That would give your game an 11:30 start which I don't think would be too rough on people to make. If you would prefer later then I can switch to 11:30-2:00 and you'd be 2:00 to 6:00. I am easy so either is fine, but would prefer the 3:30 slot.

        Monsters and Other Childish Things currently has 2 players signed up. There are 2 more slots. If you would like to play this really rocking and rolling game, I would suggest signing up beforehand via email to me. We will be making our own adorable monsters of doom and terror.
      • akalamduk
        Message 3 of 20 , May 3, 2009
          --- In JIGG@yahoogroups.com, "scott" <scottnjapan@...> wrote:

          > I am for sure going to be running Monsters and other Childish Things.
          >
          > If I may, can I have the 3:30 to 6:00 slot? That would give your game an 11:30 start which I don't think would be too rough on people to make. If you would prefer later then I can switch to 11:30-2:00 and you'd be 2:00 to 6:00. I am easy so either is fine, but would prefer the 3:30 slot.
          >
          > Monsters and Other Childish Things currently has 2 players signed up. There are 2 more slots. If you would like to play this really rocking and rolling game, I would suggest signing up beforehand via email to me. We will be making our own adorable monsters of doom and terror.

          OK, I'll be running Swords & Wizardry (version K) from 11:30 - I expect it to take no more than about 4 hours, so this should be no problem.
        • cosimoilvecchio
          Message 4 of 20 , May 6, 2009
            Kevyn,

            I'm up for Swords and Wizardry. Could you give us an idea of the house rules? Since character gen is so easy, I'd be happy to bring a bunch of character sheets for people. I've collected a lot of PDFs of different things people have made for it, and am excited to get to use them.

            Scott,
            Assuming we finish the S&W game, I'd like to try Monsters and Other Childish things, assuming you still have a slot open.

            I've got a S&W scenario mostly finished, maybe I can run that next month.

            Cheers,
            John
          • akalamduk
            Message 5 of 20 , May 12, 2009
              --- In JIGG@yahoogroups.com, "cosimoilvecchio" <cosimoilvecchio@...> wrote:

              > Kevyn,
              >
              > I'm up for Swords and Wizardry. Could you give us an idea of the house rules?

              Just three, really:

              1. Ability Generation - roll 4d6 drop the lowest to generate 6 numbers from 3-18, distribute as desired.

              2. Ability score bonuses/penalties are as follows

              3 -3
              4-5 -2
              6-8 -1
              9-12 0
              13-15 +1
              16-17 +2
              18 +3

              3. Dwarves and Elves are permitted, Halflings are not.

              The plan is as follows: people can make a character using the basic S&W rules (download free from: swordsandwizardry.com ) with the above modifications. They keep this character, and can bring it to any S&W session in the sandbox run by the same DM. Naturally, it's up to you to bring a character of the appropriate level, or to ask the DM to let you make a higher/lower character as necessary.

              >Since character gen is so easy, I'd be happy to bring a bunch of character sheets for people.

              That would be cool - of course, I would be surprised if any interested people couldn't whip up a couple of character options in about 10 minutes. To speed on the spot character gen, I was thinking of just making up some equipmnt packages suitable for certain classes.

              I'm really interested in seeing the S&W rules you have for thieves or whatever they're called - did you download them from the main site, or elsewhere?

              > I've got a S&W scenario mostly finished, maybe I can run that next month.

              That would be extra cool!

              BTW, I've selected a location in the world map you have online. Maybe we can talk about locations later. We can divide the world among us...(I've always wanted to say that...)
            • cosimoilvecchio
              Message 6 of 20 , May 12, 2009
                Great.
                The thieves rules were found on a blog, although I can't remember which right now.

                I finally have a bit of free time this afternoon, and will get it all together in the form of links on the wordpress blog thing. I haven't had much time to think about gaming stuff, but I think the stress is over. Should be posting to the PBEM Cthulhu thing as well.

                Once I know where on the world map you want to start, I can make a couple of hex maps of it for you. The original file is a stupidly big photoshop document, far too big to post or email.

                John
              • cosimoilvecchio
                Message 7 of 20 , May 13, 2009
                  My favorite version of the S&W/DnD thief is here:
                  http://www.lordkilgore.com/white-box-thievery-2nd-draft

                  It is in line with how S&W/DnD handles similar tasks (Elves finding doors, halflings, etc).

                  Of course, my ideal solution would be to use Stormbringer or some other flavor of Chaosium's system. But S&W is nice and simple, plus it's free! And I have weird soft spot in my heart for ODnD.

                  Cheers,
                  John

                  --- In JIGG@yahoogroups.com, "cosimoilvecchio" <cosimoilvecchio@...> wrote:

                  > Great.
                  > The thieves rules were found on a blog, although I can't remember which right now.
                  >
                  > I finally have a bit of free time this afternoon, and will get it all together in the form of links on the wordpress blog thing. I haven't had much time to think about gaming stuff, but I think the stress is over. Should be posting to the PBEM Cthulhu thing as well.
                  >
                  > Once I know where on the world map you want to start, I can make a couple of hex maps of it for you. The original file is a stupidly big photoshop document, far too big to post or email.
                  >

                  > John

                • akalamduk
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 13, 2009
                    --- In JIGG@yahoogroups.com, "cosimoilvecchio" <cosimoilvecchio@...> wrote:

                    > My favorite version of the S&W/DnD thief is here:
                    > http://www.lordkilgore.com/white-box-thievery-2nd-draft

                    Very nice! I will be using this, then!
                  • akalamduk
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 13, 2009
                      --- In JIGG@yahoogroups.com, "cosimoilvecchio" <cosimoilvecchio@...> wrote:
                      > Once I know where on the world map you want to start, I can make a couple of hex maps of it for you. The original file is a stupidly big photoshop document, far too big to post or email.

                      I'll have to take another look at the map and see if I can identify the location clearly - it would be really nice to have a map in front of me. I don't really need hex maps (unless you have some electronic way of producing them) but if you could cut the area into a smaller gif/jpeg then I could add towns, roads etc as I go along.
                    • cosimoilvecchio
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 13, 2009
                        > I'll have to take another look at the map and see if I can identify the location clearly - it would be really nice to have a map in front of me. I don't really need hex maps (unless you have some electronic way of producing them) but if you could cut the area into a smaller gif/jpeg then I could add towns, roads etc as I go along.

                        The maps are photoshop files, so the hexes are one a separate layer, up near the top. I messed about with a number of programs, and couldn't get anything I liked so I spent several hours figuring out how to do it in photoshop. Tedious, but at least I can control what things look like.  I'll put the files together on a CD and give them to you at the next meet up.  I'll also throw on copies of the various Swords and Wizardry PDFs I've collected. As far as I know, they are all open license and free to distrubute.

                        The area covered by the world map  is about the size of western Europe and north Africa. I took a map of that area, flipped it upside down, and played with the coast lines. In retrospect, Nessus of the Endless Stair should by on the equator. I had some half baked idea that it was an ancient space elevator. Eventually you could combine DnD and Traveller somehow.

                      • akalamduk
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 14, 2009
                          > The area covered by the world map
                          > <http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/2787/hexmapkm6.jpg> is about the
                          > size of western Europe and north Africa. I took a map of that area,
                          > flipped it upside down, and played with the coast lines. In retrospect,
                          > Nessus of the Endless Stair should by on the equator. I had some half
                          > baked idea that it was an ancient space elevator. Eventually you could
                          > combine DnD and Traveller somehow.

                          Well, this is a fantasy world anyway - it only needs to be on the equator if we're playing with realworld physics, so you can have your half-baked space elevator anywhere you like. Actually, my idea when I saw the label on the map, was that it might be the center of some kind of cult that's trying to build a tower of babylon type spiral staircase into heaven.

                          Anyway, the region I was thinking of playing with was the Iron Isles in the bottom right corner, with some peripheral engagement with the free cities and the coastal region to the north. I'm assuming that region is straddling 49'S, since the map says the Equator is off the map to the north somewhere, so the likely climate etc fits my imagined setting quite nicely.
                        • cosimoilvecchio
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 15, 2009
                            I'll get to work on the maps. Do you have a preference of file types? I can give you psd, tiff, jpg or whatever.

                            >Actually, my idea when I saw the label on the map, was that it might be the center of some kind of cult that's trying to build a tower of babylon type spiral staircase into heaven.

                            That sounds fun too. I guess whichever group of players and referee get there first get to decide what it is.

                            > Anyway, the region I was thinking of playing with was the Iron Isles in the bottom right corner, with some peripheral engagement with the free cities and the coastal region to the north. I'm assuming that region is straddling 49'S, since the map says the Equator is off the map to the north somewhere, so the likely climate etc fits my imagined setting quite nicely.

                            49'S sounds about right. It will be interesting to see what that part of the map is like.
                            Cheers
                            John
                          • akalamduk
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 16, 2009
                              --- In JIGG@yahoogroups.com, "cosimoilvecchio" <cosimoilvecchio@...> wrote:

                              > I'll get to work on the maps. Do you have a preference of file types? I can give you psd, tiff, jpg or whatever.

                              IIRC tiff scales nicely without pixellation, but as I only have access to MS paint at the moment, probably jpg is the most practical.

                              > >Actually, my idea when I saw the label on the map, was that it might be the center of some kind of cult that's trying to build a tower of babylon type spiral staircase into heaven.
                              >
                              > That sounds fun too. I guess whichever group of players and referee get there first get to decide what it is.

                              And let us not forget that the tower of babylon idea is fundamentally a space elevator plan!