RE: [JIGG] The Most Excellent Society of Adventurers....

  • Todd Brayer
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
      I don't know DnD 4.0 well. Do you mind something that under the old system would be "Lawful Evil"? Guys who would do -anything- for the country and kin sorta thing.

      To: JIGG@yahoogroups.com
      From: scottnjapan@...
      Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 05:37:28 +0000
      Subject: [JIGG] The Most Excellent Society of Adventurers....

      now accepting applications for new members!

      How it goes: Every player needs to send my their "adventuring gang". What's this? It
      means each player creates FOUR characters. They can be as similar or dissimilar as you
      like.
      Examples:

      The Earth Brothers: 4 dwarven fighters
      OR
      The Holy Rollers: 2 clerics and 2 paladins
      OR
      The Gentleman's Gambit: a warlock, warlord, a wizard and a rogue

      These characters must all be members of The Most Excellent Society of Adventurers and
      know each other. You should give some general details on how they know each other. All
      characters must be either Good or Lawful.

      In each session, you will given a set of current issues and as players you will assemble
      what you think are the best possible "Adventure Away Teams" by using one character
      from each player's "adventuring gang".

      So if there are 5 players, there will be 5 "Adventure Away Teams" assembled using only 1
      character from each player's gang. We will rotate in play to the different Adventure Away
      Teams and the outcomes of all their efforts will create an overarching story.

      If you have any questions feel free to ask!

      Dates and Times:

      Session 1: Sunday July 13th, 1:00-7:00

      Session 2: Sunday July 20th, 1:00-7:00

      Session 3: Wednesday July 23rd, 5:00-11:00

      Session 4: Sunday July 27th, 1:00- 7:00

      Session 5: Wednesday July 30th, 5:00-11:00

      Session 6: Sunday August 3rd, 1:00-7:00

      Session 7: Sunday August 10th, 1:00-7:00

      Session 8: Wednesday August 13th, 5:00-11:00

      Session 9: Sunday August 17th, 1:00-7:00

      * Session 10* Sunday August 24th, 1:00-7:00 (final session! You must have played in at
      least one other session to play in the finale.)

      Locale: TBD and am open to suggestions but I prefer places that are relatively private. also
      should be free to very cheap (am on tight budget this summer). My house is a suggestion.
      Large play area. Free. Everyone can relax and get comfortable. Only potential concern is
      that it is in Nishifunabashi, however most Tokyo gamers can be here in under 40 min.
      Check you train timetables.

      Reservations: Due to this campaign style, you can play in as many or as few sessions as
      you like. Please post your reservations here so others can see what is open. Each session
      needs a least four players for it to be run, and six players are the max for any session.
      You can book as many as like as early as you like, but ask that you cancel at least ONE
      week in advance. Use the session number. New and beginner players are welcome!

      R U Ready for Windows Live Messenger Beta 8.5? Try it today!
    • scott
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
        No evil. no lawful evil. no chaotic neutral. not even just plain vanilla neutral or neutral,
        good. The Most Excellent Society of Adventurers is a group of good to very good guys
        who do good deeds for the sake of goodliness. DnD4 says that characters that are
        good/lawful are actually weighing in on the cosmic battle of good vs. evil. The characters
        are all very Golden Age era GOOD guys! ok, i think i have said the word good enough. i
        just have to wonder Todd why you are so opposed to playing a good guy?

        In my DM history, players who don't want to play "nice" normally do so to either a.) to be
        antisocial within the party and cause conflict or b.) use it as justification for all kind of in-
        game bad behavior (basically screwing over PCs, NPCs) c. wanting an out for his character
        to not be involved in traditional DM story hook/ motivators (ex: not going to save a village
        attacked by monsters because your character doesn't care). All of these things derail fun
        for the others and cause undue focus on the "non-goodie" in the group. The above may
        not pertain you at all, but I am just offering you my experience and POV.

        So what's your rationale behind your strong avoidance of being good?

        --- In JIGG@yahoogroups.com, Todd Brayer <VolCanon2@...> wrote:

> [...]
        suggestion.

        > Large play area. Free. Everyone can relax and get comfortable. Only potential concern
        is

        > that it is in Nishifunabashi, however most Tokyo gamers can be here in under 40 min.
        >
        > Check you train timetables.
        >

        > Reservations: Due to this campaign style, you can play in as many or as few sessions as
        >
        > you like. Please post your reservations here so others can see what is open. Each
        session

        > needs a least four players for it to be run, and six players are the max for any session.
        >
        > You can book as many as like as early as you like, but ask that you cancel at least ONE
        >
        > week in advance. Use the session number. New and beginner players are welcome!

        > R U Ready for Windows Live Messenger Beta 8.5? Try it today!

      • Refik Cosic
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008

          Hi Scott,

          Put me down for sessions #1, #2, #3 and #4.  I don't have the books but I know someone who does.  In fact, he'll probably be eager to play as well.

          Refik

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
            Refik,

            That is great news! You are all signed up! Also, if you need any help with character creation
            just let me know.

            Game on,

            Scott
          • darienfinn
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 5, 2008
              So, according to your callender, we have one week before the game.
              Any places and specific times yet?

              Also, I've been making characters at work because I got nothing better
              to do. If someone needs some characters for this thing, let me know
              and I'll send them to you

              --- In JIGG@yahoogroups.com, "scott" <scottnjapan@...> wrote:

              > now accepting applications for new members!
              >
              > How it goes: Every player needs to send my their "adventuring
              gang". What's this? It
              > means each player creates FOUR characters. They can be as similar
              or dissimilar as you
              > like.
              > Examples:
              >
              > The Earth Brothers: 4 dwarven fighters
              > OR
              > The Holy Rollers: 2 clerics and 2 paladins
              > OR
              > The Gentleman's Gambit: a warlock, warlord, a wizard and a rogue
              >
              > These characters must all be members of The Most Excellent Society
              of Adventurers and
              > know each other. You should give some general details on how they
              know each other. All
              > characters must be either Good or Lawful.
              >
              > In each session, you will given a set of current issues and as
              players you will assemble
              > what you think are the best possible "Adventure Away Teams" by
              using one character
              > from each player's "adventuring gang".
              >
              > So if there are 5 players, there will be 5 "Adventure Away Teams"
              assembled using only 1
              > character from each player's gang. We will rotate in play to the
              different Adventure Away
              > Teams and the outcomes of all their efforts will create an
              overarching story.

              > If you have any questions feel free to ask!
              >
              > Dates and Times:
              >
              > Session 1: Sunday July 13th, 1:00-7:00
              >
              > Session 2: Sunday July 20th, 1:00-7:00
              >
              > Session 3: Wednesday July 23rd, 5:00-11:00
              >
              > Session 4: Sunday July 27th, 1:00- 7:00
              >
              > Session 5: Wednesday July 30th, 5:00-11:00
              >
              > Session 6: Sunday August 3rd, 1:00-7:00
              >
              > Session 7: Sunday August 10th, 1:00-7:00
              >
              > Session 8: Wednesday August 13th, 5:00-11:00
              >
              > Session 9: Sunday August 17th, 1:00-7:00
              >
              > * Session 10* Sunday August 24th, 1:00-7:00 (final session! You
              must have played in at
              > least one other session to play in the finale.)
              >
              > Locale: TBD and am open to suggestions but I prefer places that are
              relatively private. also
              > should be free to very cheap (am on tight budget this summer). My
              house is a suggestion.
              > Large play area. Free. Everyone can relax and get comfortable.
              Only potential concern is
              > that it is in Nishifunabashi, however most Tokyo gamers can be here
              in under 40 min.
              > Check you train timetables.
              >
              > Reservations: Due to this campaign style, you can play in as many
              or as few sessions as
              > you like. Please post your reservations here so others can see what
              is open. Each session
              > needs a least four players for it to be run, and six players are the
              max for any session.
              > You can book as many as like as early as you like, but ask that you
              cancel at least ONE
              > week in advance. Use the session number. New and beginner players
              are welcome!

            • scott
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 5, 2008
                So far there is only one reservation for that session and it's Refik. There needs to be at least
                3 more to play. Please post the dates that you'd like to play here using the session numbers
                and if you haven't done so send me your adventuring gang and if you can't get make
                characters, either you can get them from me or other players.

                If there really isn't enough interest for this right now, maybe should postpone or just run 1
                offs at each game's day? I don't know exactly so feel free to give feedback.
              • darienfinn
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 5, 2008
                  that's too bad. I was really looking forward to next week ( you got
                  the note that I signed up for all sessions, right?) Seriously, if
                  anyone eles wants to join, but doesn't have the books, or needs help
                  making characters, I will gladly lend a hand.

                  --- In JIGG@yahoogroups.com, "scott" <scottnjapan@...> wrote:

                  > So far there is only one reservation for that session and it's
                  Refik. There needs to be at least
                  > 3 more to play. Please post the dates that you'd like to play here
                  using the session numbers
                  > and if you haven't done so send me your adventuring gang and if you
                  can't get make
                  > characters, either you can get them from me or other players.
                  >
                  > If there really isn't enough interest for this right now, maybe
                  should postpone or just run 1
                  > offs at each game's day? I don't know exactly so feel free to give
                  feedback.

                • scott
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 5, 2008
                    didn't get that note. sorry! I will correct my bookkeeping. that means we have 2 players for
                    the 13th... if we get another 2 by Wednesday evening, I will do the prep for running the
                    game. Thank you for offering characters!

                    If you are new or just want to give it a shot, please consider signing up for the first session!
                  • Ian
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 6, 2008
                      I'd certainly be interested in playing. Next week doesn't seem very
                      good for my future RQ players.

                      --- In JIGG@yahoogroups.com, "scott" <scottnjapan@...> wrote:

                      > So far there is only one reservation for that session and it's
                      Refik. There needs to be at least
                      > 3 more to play. Please post the dates that you'd like to play here
                      using the session numbers
                      > and if you haven't done so send me your adventuring gang and if you
                      can't get make
                      > characters, either you can get them from me or other players.
                      >
                      > If there really isn't enough interest for this right now, maybe
                      should postpone or just run 1
                      > offs at each game's day? I don't know exactly so feel free to give
                      feedback.

                    • Ian
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 6, 2008
                        I would need help creating a character. I don't have any books and
                        have really no idea what the new system is like.

                        --- In JIGG@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <kermorren@...> wrote:

                        > I'd certainly be interested in playing. Next week doesn't seem very
                        > good for my future RQ players.
                        >
                        > --- In JIGG@yahoogroups.com, "scott" <scottnjapan@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > So far there is only one reservation for that session and it's
                        > Refik. There needs to be at least
                        > > 3 more to play. Please post the dates that you'd like to play here
                        > using the session numbers
                        > > and if you haven't done so send me your adventuring gang and if you
                        > can't get make
                        > > characters, either you can get them from me or other players.
                        > >
                        > > If there really isn't enough interest for this right now, maybe
                        > should postpone or just run 1
                        > > offs at each game's day? I don't know exactly so feel free to give
                        > feedback.

                      • scott
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                          Just one more player needed for Sunday's session to be run. Actually there are
                          a total of 3
                          slots open, but just one more needed to get this thing going. Everyone had fun
                          at the DnD
                          demo at the last games day and if you have been itching to try it out, here's
                          your chance.

                          confirmed:

                          Alex (The Outcasts)
                          Refik (TBA)
                          Ian (how do you feel about selecting from premade characters?))

                          holding an ancient treasure map,

                          Scott

                          p.s. Ian brings up the point about not knowing the system... don't worry! I and the other
                          players will help you.
                        • James Stagg
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                            the session is this weekend right? sorry, I missed the earlier mails.
                            What time and place again? I should be able to make it so why not jot
                            me down as a go!
                          • darienfinn
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                              I have been creating characters all week at work (because I have
                              nothing else to do.) I'll send you off any characters you want.

                              Give me a concept, Race, class (Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger,
                              Rogue, Warlock, Warlord, Wizard) and I'll send you some characters if
                              you want. I don't mean to belittle your ability to create characters,
                              just offering my help.

                              --- In JIGG@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <kermorren@...> wrote:

                              > I would need help creating a character. I don't have any books and
                              > have really no idea what the new system is like.

                            • Ryan Bigelow
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                                Hey Guys,

                                While I think it's keen that you've gotten a group together, would you mind taking your discussions of meeting details etc. off list?

                                Thanks,

                                Ryan

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                                  Not being rude, but why would we do that? We are still in the recruitment phase of this
                                  project and hoping that seeing activity going on will inspire other members to join. When I
                                  first joined this group this was all this boards post were about.

                                  Non-snark question: what do you consider to be appropriate posts for this forum?
                                • Ryan Bigelow
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                                    Hey Scott,

                                    I understand that you wanna keep the hype up and everything to get more players. OTOH, also being non-snarky, do all the members  of JIGG really need to know what time you're meeting and where, and the negotiations of time, place etc. within your group?
                                    If the people signing up are asking questions to the group about advice on char. generation, etc. I would think that's fine, but those smaller details could just be sent to your group. Sending out info to the group that you have spots open is totally cool tho, and keeping the group updated on your members, maybe. But 20 messages about it seems a bit much.
                                    I dunno, I know I'm a moderator, but if you disagree with my opinion by all means keep doing what you're doing. I'm requesting as a member, not directing as a moderator here.

                                    Ryan

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                                      I would guess that we could just generate a bulk mail for interested
                                      players. That's what I'm doing for the RQ game I'm starting. My email
                                      for the DND game and the RQ game is kermorren at yahoo.co.uk. I agree
                                      with Ryan, once the names are collected and we're into the
                                      organization phase it's really boring for everyone else on the boards
                                      to read all that.

                                      --- In JIGG@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Bigelow" <ryan.bigelow@...> wrote:

                                      > Hey Scott,
                                      >
                                      > I understand that you wanna keep the hype up and everything to get more
                                      > players. OTOH, also being non-snarky, do all the members of JIGG really
                                      > need to know what time you're meeting and where, and the negotiations of
                                      > time, place etc. within your group?
                                      > If the people signing up are asking questions to the group about
                                      advice on
                                      > char. generation, etc. I would think that's fine, but those smaller
                                      details
                                      > could just be sent to your group. Sending out info to the group that you
                                      > have spots open is totally cool tho, and keeping the group updated
                                      on your
                                      > members, maybe. But 20 messages about it seems a bit much.
                                      > I dunno, I know I'm a moderator, but if you disagree with my opinion
                                      by all
                                      > means keep doing what you're doing. I'm requesting as a member, not
                                      > directing as a moderator here.
                                      >
                                      > Ryan
                                      >
                                      > On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:39 PM, scott <scottnjapan@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Not being rude, but why would we do that? We are still in the
                                      > > recruitment phase of this
                                      > > project and hoping that seeing activity going on will inspire
                                      other members
                                      > > to join. When I
                                      > > first joined this group this was all this boards post were about.
                                      > >
                                      > > Non-snark question: what do you consider to be appropriate posts
                                      for this
                                      > > forum?

                                    • scott
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                                        But the problem for me is that we are not in the organization stage... for this mini-campaign
                                        there are a total of 45 gaming slots and only 15 of those have been filled. As for having a
                                        group, we don't. There is only one core player and me. Everyone else is running in this as a
                                        one off. And even for the game on Sunday, there is still room for one more player. So that is
                                        why I think this is still a board topic.

                                        I agree 100% that once a group is solidified and not open to accepting new players that it's
                                        meeting details are of little interest to the board. I would still like to see play reports from
                                        that group though. I think that is kind of how RPGind died down here. Groups formed here
                                        and then went off into the hinterlands never to be heard from again. I think an occasion
                                        touching base is cool and help us realize how much and how diverse the gaming going on
                                        here is.

                                        I apologize to those who think I am flooding the board. To improve this, can any players
                                        who have already signed up to play please mail me at scottnjapan@... with any game
                                        detail questions. But if I may I would like to continue to post recruit notices and occasional
                                        activity updates on the main board. Would that be cool?
                                      • Ian
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                                          The list of games to be sold, could that be shortened as games are
                                          sold. It's a huge list. Seeing that two or three times on one page is
                                          a bit of a chore for people who are not interested..;)

                                          --- In JIGG@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <kermorren@...> wrote:

                                          > I would guess that we could just generate a bulk mail for interested
                                          > players. That's what I'm doing for the RQ game I'm starting. My email
                                          > for the DND game and the RQ game is kermorren at yahoo.co.uk. I agree
                                          > with Ryan, once the names are collected and we're into the
                                          > organization phase it's really boring for everyone else on the boards
                                          > to read all that.
                                          >
                                          > --- In JIGG@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Bigelow" <ryan.bigelow@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Hey Scott,
                                          > >
                                          > > I understand that you wanna keep the hype up and everything to get
                                          more
                                          > > players. OTOH, also being non-snarky, do all the members of JIGG
                                          really
                                          > > need to know what time you're meeting and where, and the
                                          negotiations of
                                          > > time, place etc. within your group?
                                          > > If the people signing up are asking questions to the group about
                                          > advice on
                                          > > char. generation, etc. I would think that's fine, but those smaller
                                          > details
                                          > > could just be sent to your group. Sending out info to the group
                                          that you
                                          > > have spots open is totally cool tho, and keeping the group updated
                                          > on your
                                          > > members, maybe. But 20 messages about it seems a bit much.
                                          > > I dunno, I know I'm a moderator, but if you disagree with my opinion
                                          > by all
                                          > > means keep doing what you're doing. I'm requesting as a member, not
                                          > > directing as a moderator here.
                                          > >
                                          > > Ryan
                                          > >
                                          > > On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:39 PM, scott <scottnjapan@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > > Not being rude, but why would we do that? We are still in the
                                          > > > recruitment phase of this
                                          > > > project and hoping that seeing activity going on will inspire
                                          > other members
                                          > > > to join. When I
                                          > > > first joined this group this was all this boards post were about.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Non-snark question: what do you consider to be appropriate posts
                                          > for this
                                          > > > forum?

                                        • chris zanella
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
                                            Not interested then delete the emails

                                            > To: JIGG@yahoogroups.com
                                            > From: kermorren@...
                                            > Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 22:08:13 +0000
                                            > Subject: [JIGG] Games to be sold
                                            >
                                            > The list of games to be sold, could that be shortened as games are
                                            > sold. It's a huge list. Seeing that two or three times on one page is
                                            > a bit of a chore for people who are not interested..;)
                                            >
                                            > --- In JIGG@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <kermorren@...> wrote:
                                            > >

                                            > > I would guess that we could just generate a bulk mail for interested
                                            > > players. That's what I'm doing for the RQ game I'm starting. My email
                                            > > for the DND game and the RQ game is kermorren at yahoo.co.uk. I agree
                                            > > with Ryan, once the names are collected and we're into the
                                            > > organization phase it's really boring for everyone else on the boards
                                            > > to read all that.
                                            > >
                                            > > --- In JIGG@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Bigelow" <ryan.bigelow@> wrote:
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Hey Scott,
                                            > > >
                                            > > > I understand that you wanna keep the hype up and everything to get
                                            > more
                                            > > > players. OTOH, also being non-snarky, do all the members of JIGG
                                            > really
                                            > > > need to know what time you're meeting and where, and the
                                            > negotiations of
                                            > > > time, place etc. within your group?
                                            > > > If the people signing up are asking questions to the group about
                                            > > advice on
                                            > > > char. generation, etc. I would think that's fine, but those smaller
                                            > > details
                                            > > > could just be sent to your group. Sending out info to the group
                                            > that you
                                            > > > have spots open is totally cool tho, and keeping the group updated
                                            > > on your
                                            > > > members, maybe. But 20 messages about it seems a bit much.
                                            > > > I dunno, I know I'm a moderator, but if you disagree with my opinion
                                            > > by all
                                            > > > means keep doing what you're doing. I'm requesting as a member, not
                                            > > > directing as a moderator here.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Ryan

                                            > > other members

                                            > > for this

                                            > <*> Your email settings:
                                            > Individual Email | Traditional
                                            >
                                            > <*> To change settings online go to:
                                            > (Yahoo! ID required)
                                            >
                                            > <*> To change settings via email:
                                            > mailto:JIGG-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                            > mailto:JIGG-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                            The i’m Talkaton. Can 30-days of conversation change the world? Find out now.
                                          • Ian
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
                                              And if I'm reading the mails on the site, which I am? :)