RE: [JIGG] Twilight Imperium 3rd edition cancelled

  • Ryan Bigelow
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 2, 2008
      Yay! Another successful game day! Man I had a lot of fun. Game of the day for me is Nexus Ops. What a lot of fun. What Risk should be, a savage beatdown with lots of dice and some strategy as well. Awesome!
      Thanks to Nick for setting things up again. We had another good turn out with about 20 people (I would say) coming.
      Congrats to Andrew for winning the door prize.
      Hope to see you all at the next event!

      Ryan Bigelow

      To: JIGG@yahoogroups.com
      From: ndrochak@...
      Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:59:23 -0800
      Subject: Re: [JIGG] Twilight Imperium 3rd edition cancelled

      Cool.  Can I be the Imp?

      From: scottnjapan@ yahoo.com
      Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:24:45 +0000
      Subject: [JIGG] Twilight Imperium 3rd edition cancelled

      Well, we didn't get the player count we needed so won't be bringing it this time BUT would
      like to suggest either:

      A. Planning a special day for it for just the 6-8 TI3 players unconnected to Games Day

      -or-

      B. Just postpone this until next game day and see how we go then!

    • Matt Velentgas
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 2, 2008
        Yea, that was another good one. Kind of a chaotic feeling event this time.

        On the miniature side we got a big turnout for a huge game of DBA. It was an impressive sight. Lot's of new miniature players showed up, and hopefully we will see them all return again.
         There was also a smaller Lord of the Rings skirmish going on with some fantastic looking figures.
         And with the good we have the bad, Matt (the Ozzie) will be returning to Australia soon and won't be joining us any longer. He had been the organizer of both the Beer and Pretzel games we have had the last two months. It's unfortunate that he will not be part of our small group of wargamers here in Japan any longer, he ran two great games and we were looking forward to more. But, that's how it goes being an expat, and we wish him the best.

        I managed to play another Wings of War game where I shot two newbies down. I'm getting to be quite the ace, so if you feel like stepping up to the challenge someday just ask. I may let you have a shot.
         I also played in a Monster mash of a game where I forget the name of the rules. Four of us were huge monster/ godzilla/mothra type creatures and we had to lay waste to the USA and get points to increase our health before we did the monster challenge. At that point we had to battle it out to see who was top monster. I'm sorry to say my big green swamp moster that had previosly destroyed many cites easlily didn't fair to well against Sam's purple caterpillar turned moth monster and I was beaten, and then probably eaten by the Moth, cause that's the kind of guy Sam is. Until next time......
         I also got in a game of "Ra". It's some kind of auction game with an Ancient Egyptian feel. It's a pretty interesting game after you get the feel.

        That was about it for gaming for me. Like I mentioned before, I met some new miniature gamers with quite a variety of interests. I think we'll be seeing more interesting miniature games in the future. The people I had met had 10 and 6mm WWII figures, some Napolionic figures, some midevil, some fantasy and others.

        I also wound up meeting more people interested in giving Car Wars a try. So I'll set that up shortly. When I mention Car Wars, almost every says how cool it would be to do it with matchbox cars. I pretty much have that covered already so, maybe next meeting we'll have to drive to a combat arena and take part in an amateur night Car Wars shootout, with matchbox cars.

        And again, great time, see you next month.
        Matt

      • Ninpuu Kamui Gaiden
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 2, 2008
          I had a very good time too :)

          I played a few games or Race for the Galaxy, a game with "subtle" player interaction. In this game, you are an expanding galactic empire, and need to settle in new planets, discover technologies, trade and produce resources and/or rise military power in order to, well, win the race for the galaxy :). Although player interaction is not an obvious factor in this game (e.g. not backstabbing), I came to realize that in fact you need to pay close attention to the other player strategies to play your cards right, hence the "subtle". It was an easy and quick game that I enjoyed and would like to play again; seems the kind of game you need to play a few times in order to enjoy in its totality. I felt the game play was a bit chaotic, as everyone was doing their actions at the same time and was difficult to keep track of what was going on sometimes (but then again, I may just be slow).

          The other new game I tried was Nexus Ops. The story is that you are some kind of human/alien mining army (?) trying to fight (and win!) as many battles as possible to get vistory points and fulfill your "secret missions", while mining for rubium to deploy more troops. I was the first player, and although I had less money that the rest of players, I could also get more mines faster than the rest. Sadly, I was unable to offset the disadvantage because of a very poor strategy and even poorer dice rolls :( I did not enjoy most of the game as I was fairly doomed from quite early on, but it's another game I'd like to try again. The miniatures rock and the game play is quite fast once you get the knack of it.

          And, of course, I got to play DreamBlade and get some people interested on it, which is always good because I love the game :) I'll be bringing it (with plenty of minis) to the next Games Day too for everyone's enjoyment. I have quite a few figures that I'll never use because I don't play that kind of team / I have already / I don't like them, so I'm happy to give them away to people that wants them (to play them, not for eBay... you wouldn't get much money for them anyway :) ).

          I missed the DBA game though, which I had been looking forward to, although I really don't know why... I believe the game started late, and I was playing in the first floor and had to leave early, so I didn't even notice we were playing it! Oh, well, maybe next time.

          Thanks to Nick and everyone coming to the Games Day to make it possible! Let's keep it up for a long time!

          Cheers,

          Sergio.

        • giovanni.allari@infinito.it
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 2, 2008
            HOOOOO!! YEAH!! that was a great gaming day!

            I really had a good time and we managed as Matt was
            saying, to organize a huge dba game involving 9 armies
            whch would be about 2-300 minis! and it was geat fun, but
            I happened to be in the looser`s team! we had a good start
            on the left side of the table, but we got really
            humiliated on the right flank and the line could not hold
            the pressure of the " Barbarian Conspiracy".

            I did not get the chance to win the boxed game, but next
            time I will have to make it mine!! LOL

            see you all at the next event.

            Giovanni

            Hai tempo fino al 31/03/2008 per azzerare i costi di attivazione:
            da casa o dall'ufficio naviga con la qualità di Infinito ADSL
            (www.infinito.it/adsl)
          • Welford
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 2, 2008
              On Mar 2, 2008, at 23:07, Matt Velentgas wrote:
              >  I also played in a Monster mash of a game where I forget the name of
              > the rules.

              Monsters Ravage America. Very silly but fun.

              I also played Jeff's pirates game (a simple game but beautifully
              presented, with a treasure chest box, massive metal ship pieces, etc.),
              San Juan (for the first time) and Citadels. All good fun.

              Oh yes, and I won the prize! Amyitis (that's "Am-yitis" rather than
              "Amy-itis"). The theme is building the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. The
              rules style is European (cf. Caylus, Puerto Rico, etc.). I should have
              it worked out by the next meeting, and we can try it then.

              Cheers,
              ATW
            • Sam Mak
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 2, 2008
                The monster game is simple but funny. If we have realised how the rules
                work earlier it would be a better balanced game. The game mechanism is
                designed well.

                Sam