Re: wargamers

  • Ian
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 2, 2007
      Hi Giovanni,

      About 5 years ago I played DBM in the UK. I even have an army there,
      mouldering away in a friend's attic I think. I'd certainly be
      interested in playing wargames, though I'm very rusty.. ;)

      I live in Shibuya in West Tokyo, so I don't think I'm that far away.

      Sincerely,

      Ian

      --- In JIGG@yahoogroups.com, <giovanni.allari@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I am writing to see if there are some willing! energetic
      > wargamers out there.
      >
      > We are a small group of people that meet once, sometimes
      > twice a month to play historical wargames.
      >
      > The main game we play is DBA De bellis Antiquitatis a
      > small scale ancient wargame.
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Bellis_Antiquitatis
      >
      > http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/index.html
      >
      > (plese check the Eye Candy section from the second link
      > just to give you an idea)
      >
      > We also play a 28mm skirmish wargame,and we might play a
      > WW2 game using plastic 1/72 figures if anyone interested.
      >
      > The idea is to try to anlarge the group and trying to make
      > some kind of group going on!
      >
      > I live on the Keio line in west tokyo.
      >
      > If anyone is interested please let me know we will be
      > happy to organize a game.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Giovanni

    • Matt Velentgas
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 4, 2007
        Giovanni,

         I'm still kicking around. Been busy and went back to the States for a while so not much wargaming for me. I'd be up for trying to get a wargaming group together. Actually, I think the monthly game day thing Ryan is putting on in Meguro might be the answer. He mentioned that they could reserve a larger room. We'd also get crossover both ways from the boardgamers.

        Got to run as I'm at work, but I'll mull this over in my head.

        I'd also like to pick a new game, new period, new figures and research it and play. Half of the enjoyment for wargaming is collecting armies, and if we did this in unison it might be a fun project.

        Matt

        in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
      • giovanni.allari@infinito.it
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 4, 2007
          Hi Matt,

          good to hear from you! I think it would be a great idea to
          make a wargaming group togeather with the boardgamers! it
          would be nice.

          and I think also most of the time people have more armies
          for different periods so there would be a chance to
          introduce new people to wargaming.

          let`s keep in touch, and let me know when you will be
          back.

          Giovanni

          On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 16:33:35 -0700 (PDT)
          Matt Velentgas <mvelentgas01@...> wrote:
          > Giovanni,
          >
          > I'm still kicking around. Been busy and went back to
          >the States for a while so not much wargaming for me. I'd
          >be up for trying to get a wargaming group together.
          >Actually, I think the monthly game day thing Ryan is
          >putting on in Meguro might be the answer. He mentioned
          >that they could reserve a larger room. We'd also get
          >crossover both ways from the boardgamers.
          >
          > Got to run as I'm at work, but I'll mull this over in
          >my head.
          >
          > I'd also like to pick a new game, new period, new
          >figures and research it and play. Half of the enjoyment
          >for wargaming is collecting armies, and if we did this in
          >unison it might be a fun project.
          >
          > Matt
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck
          > in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
        • Ryan Bigelow
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 5, 2007

            Just wanted to chime in that I haven't made a room reservation yet, so I could get a bigger room if the mini-battle folks are interested in showing up...

            BTW the location is not set in stone. A few people have mentioned that rooms at their ku-min centres are cheaper. The Meguro one is sooo not cheap, so I'm always open to suggestions.

            Ryan Bigelow

            From: <giovanni.allari@...>
            To: JIGG@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [JIGG] Re: wargamers
            Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 05:04:34 +0200

            Matt Velentgas <mvelentgas01@ yahoo.com> wrote:

            > Giovanni,

            > I'm still kicking around. Been busy and went back to

            >the States for a while so not much wargaming for me. I'd

            >be up for trying to get a wargaming group together.

            >Actually, I think the monthly game day thing Ryan is

            >putting on in Meguro might be the answer. He mentioned

            >that they could reserve a larger room. We'd also get

            >crossover both ways from the boardgamers.

            > Got to run as I'm at work, but I'll mull this over in

            >my head.

            > I'd also like to pick a new game, new period, new

            >figures and research it and play. Half of the enjoyment

            >for wargaming is collecting armies, and if we did this in

            >unison it might be a fun project.

            > Matt

            > ------------ --------- --------- ---

            > You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck

            > in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

            FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar MSN Toolbar Get it now!
          • giovanni.allari@infinito.it
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 6, 2007
              Hy Ryan,

              we do not know yet when we are going to be ready! we will
              get organized and I will contact you, when would the
              meeting you plan to organize next?

              Cheers

              Giovanni

            • Ryan Bigelow
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 7, 2007

                Hey All,

                I just got the new Molten Core raid deck for WoW and was wondering if people wanted to get together and tackle it!

                It looks mighty freaking cool!

                Ryan Bigelow

                Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! MSN Messenger Download today it's FREE!
              • Refik Cosic
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 7, 2007
                  Ryan,

                  I'd be willing to give it a try, but I don't have a
                  deck. Maybe I could play the baddy. Oh, yeah!

                  Refik

                  <bigguyry@...> wrote:

                  ---------------------------------

                  Hey All,

                  I just got the new Molten Core raid deck for WoW and
                  was wondering if people wanted to get together and
                  tackle it!

                  It looks mighty freaking cool!

                  Ryan Bigelow

                  ---------------------------------
                  Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! MSN
                  Messenger Download today it's FREE!

                  http://sims.yahoo.com/
                • Gary Stevenson (ESS)
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 7, 2007

                    Awesome!

                    Unfortunately next week is pretty messed up for me work wise. Perhaps could do something Friday late afternoon/evening? I won’t be able to make it Wednesday again this week either. In meetings until probably around 9.30pm/10pm

                    Happy to bring extra decks for people who want to have a go…

                    Gary

                    ------------ --------- --------- ---

                    http://sims. yahoo.com/

                  • giovanni.allari@infinito.it
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 24, 2007
                      Hi all,

                      I am trying to find people who wants to play wargames
                      (historical) using miniatures.

                      At the moment we are a small group of friends who meet
                      every 2 weeks when possible, to play historical wargames.

                      We mainly use 1/72 cheap good looking figures, 6mm
                      miniatures and some nice looking 28MM toy soldiers, and
                      15MM miniatures.

                      My aim is to try to expand as much as possible in order to
                      create a stable, continuous wargaming club in Tokyo.

                      I understand that is not as easy as in our countries where
                      wargaming is an already established hobby and there are
                      any kind of clubs, but I think, eventhough many will
                      return to their homecountries one day, it is a pity to
                      leave our hobbies for many years while we are in Japan.

                      I would be very happy to have some new members, who are
                      not afraid of trying new periods and different scales of
                      miniatures.

                      I enclosed some pictures of some games that we had in the
                      past, it is only 3 pictures, of a dark age game and a DBA
                      ancient games, but we are opened to any period and any
                      ruleset.

                      So don`t be shy and sen me an e mail.

                      The meeting place would often be in Seiseki Sakura Gaoka
                      on the Keio line 25Min. from Shinjuku.

                      rise your hands!! and come to play.

                      Cheers

                      Giovanni

                      Questa estate, ovunque tu sia, per connetterti a internet componi con il tuo
                      computer portatile il numero 7027010707 e naviga a tariffa urbana con una
                      connessione dial-up veloce e affidabile.
                      Registrati subito su www.infinito.it per ottenere i dati necessari per
                      l'accesso.
                      Infinito, l'accesso internet di qualità dal 1999.
                    • Sisyphus
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 24, 2007
                        Hi Giovanni...

                        I'm busy painting up my 15mm Etruscans for DBA. I have to prime them
                        tomorrow and then get a-painting... after that I have the Carthaginians.

                        Do you guys use DBA or the new DBMM? I've spotted some 1/72 stuff in
                        a one model shop in Akihabara but not too much of a selection. I
                        think it was Hobby Bee. Where else in Tokyo might have some stuff?

                        As of now, seems like Saturday is best for me. I do have late Sundays
                        off. When do you guys meet?

                        Darren
                      • giovanni.allari@infinito.it
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 24, 2007
                          HI Darren,

                          I knew you where out there!! Great, We normally meet on
                          Saturdays afternoons, we mainly use DBA normal rules, but
                          we plan to use the BBDBA Big Battle DBA, that allows you
                          to use more than one army (the usual 12 elements) I
                          managed to make some sceneries, and I have 3 boards so
                          there is plenty oif space to play especially if we use
                          15MM or smaller scale.

                          Yes there is a shop in Akihabara but is rather expensive
                          but has the biggest variety of brands.

                          another good one is Sunny in Shimokitazawa that has the
                          zvezda and Italery boxes and are a bit cheaper than other
                          stuff. One of our memebers is also planning to place an
                          order to Ceasar miniatures which is a company from Taiwan
                          that make beatiful 1/72 bronze age figures.

                          I will send you a private message with some more
                          informations and as well as the date of the next meeting.

                          where about do you leave? I am in Seisekisakuragaoka on
                          the keio line.

                          I am looking forward to meet.

                          Giovanni

                          Questa estate, ovunque tu sia, per connetterti a internet componi con il tuo
                          computer portatile il numero 7027010707 e naviga a tariffa urbana con una
                          connessione dial-up veloce e affidabile.
                          Registrati subito su www.infinito.it per ottenere i dati necessari per
                          l'accesso.
                          Infinito, l'accesso internet di qualità dal 1999.
                        • meecrob111
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 26, 2007
                            Giovanni....I'm still around. Let me know when your game days are...I
                            would be interested.

                            What I am up too.

                            I'm in the process of painting up the board game "Battlelor's"
                            figures. If anyone would like that done too, let me know, it maybe
                            better to do in bulk. Actually I am thinking of doing up Battlelore
                            and a couple of WWII boardgames by making 3d terrain,and buying and
                            painting lead figures(or the plastic ones). Making it a thing of
                            beauty miniature wargame style, with the board game ruleset.

                            Also, if anyone is interested in 15mm/1/72 modular terrain, give me
                            a shout. I'll be in the process of buying and putting that together.
                            I want to order something from this place.
                            http://www.grandcentralgems.com/

                            Other figs I may order.....This site would be a cool fugire line to
                            go with Battelore... http://www.minifigs.com/catalog/index.php?
                            cPath=41_3_12_262

                            Also may order from here for Tide of Iron or Memoir 44.
                            http://www.ghqmodels.com/pages/military/index.asp

                            THe wargaming/boardgaming juices are flowing.........my apartment is

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 26, 2007
                              I moved up one picture of the Battlelore figures I'm painting. Bad
                              Picture, but you get the idea. There are some other pictures in the
                              Matt folder of previous wargame terrain I made a few years
                              ago.........if you like and want to help make some terrain with me
                              let me know.

                              Cheers