Re: [JIGG] New Year Boardgaming: Jan 2nd!

  • Trent Magnus
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2006
      woh, I am confused now. when and where are we meeting?

      Trent
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2006
        Uh, doing it at my place. :)
        Looks like there may only be 5 people, so is there anyone else interested?

        Ryan Bigelow
      • Welford
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2006
          On 1 Jan 2006, at 18:44, Ryan Bigelow wrote:

          > Uh, doing it at my place. :)
          > Looks like there may only be 5 people, so is there anyone else
          > interested?

          So that's tomorrow (Monday), about 1 pm. Sorted.

          Best,
          ATW
        • Ryan Bigelow
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 1, 2006
            Sounds good Rob,

            See you then. Can't guarantee what time we'll be finished up with Game of
            Thrones though. should be a three hour game though.

            Ryan Bigelow
          • Ryan Bigelow
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 2, 2006
              Well, it was a pretty good turn out. We had 5 players for a Game of Thrones.
              Was hoping for a full 6 player compliment, but maybe next time. Anyways, a
              Game of Thrones is an interesting game and I'd like to play it correctly
              next time. Sometimes there are so many pieces in a game that some are
              accidentally left in the box <oops> and so it's really tough to play. Still,
              I think people had fun and it game the game simpler in some regards...
              Also went through Shadows over Camelot and finally won...turned out to be no
              traitor so perhaps that was the deciding factor (tho Tony nearly accused me
              of being the traitor...perhaps revenge for goofing up aGoT. :) )
              After that, it was the favourite A Ticket to Ride: Europe. This is probably
              the most played board game I own. I think I've played it 25 times at least.
              If you haven't played, you should give it a go. It's quite simple to pick up
              and the strategy isn't all that complex, making it a nice game to play after
              something a bit more strategically intense.
              Lastly we played a game of Munchkin, the card game. It was kind of
              interesting, but for me, it was a light hearted game of mostly randomness.
              My only complaint is that it is fairly long. We played for two hours and
              didn't finish. If there were some way to shorten the game but keep the back
              stabby funness...

              Anyways, that's all for now. Thanks to all who showed up and I may have to
              do another game night soon!

              Ryan Bigelow
            • Welford
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 2, 2006
                On 3 Jan 2006, at 00:28, Ryan Bigelow wrote:
                > Well, it was a pretty good turn out. We had 5 players for a Game of
                > Thrones.
                > Was hoping for a full 6 player compliment, but maybe next time.
                > Anyways, a
                > Game of Thrones is an interesting game and I'd like to play it
                > correctly
                > next time. Sometimes there are so many pieces in a game that some are
                > accidentally left in the box <oops> and so it's really tough to play.

                But remember I did remark on the slimness of that deck at the start.
                Anyway, I finally got a win at AGOT and I don't care if it's a starred
                win.

                > Still, I think people had fun and it game the game simpler in some
                > regards...
                > After that, it was the favourite A Ticket to Ride: Europe. This is
                > probably
                > the most played board game I own. I think I've played it 25 times at
                > least.
                > If you haven't played, you should give it a go. It's quite simple to
                > pick up
                > and the strategy isn't all that complex, making it a nice game to play
                > after
                > something a bit more strategically intense.
                > Also went through Shadows over Camelot and finally won...turned out to
                > be no
                > traitor so perhaps that was the deciding factor (tho Tony nearly
                > accused me
                > of being the traitor...perhaps revenge for goofing up aGoT. :) )
                > Lastly we played a game of Munchkin, the card game. It was kind of
                > interesting, but for me, it was a light hearted game of mostly
                > randomness.
                > My only complaint is that it is fairly long. We played for two hours
                > and
                > didn't finish. If there were some way to shorten the game but keep the
                > back
                > stabby funness...

                I don't think it normally takes anything like that long. It was a
                matter of unfamiliarity with the game slowing us down and, as John
                said, us using the nasty cards on eachother in the early-game phase
                instead of hanging onto them.

                > Anyways, that's all for now. Thanks to all who showed up and I may
                > have to
                > do another game night soon!

                Thank you for hosting. It was a good session.

                Best,
                ATW
              • Timothy Feeley
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 27, 2006
                  Ryan,

                  I'm almost out the door, but I can't find your phone # could you send it to me again?

                  tim

                  ryanjbigelow <bigguyry@...> wrote:
                  Hey All!

                  Happy New Year to everyone. I was thinking of having a boardgames day
                  at my place to kick off the new year. Anyone out there interested?
                  I'm really looking to get a 6 player "A Game of Thrones" game
                  together so are there 5 other souls out there looking to play? I've
                  bought the expansion for the game as well so it should be good fun.
                  The game length is listed at 3 hours long, so after that, we can play
                  tons of other games (I think I have about 20 boardgames at my house
                  now...)

                  When: Monday, Jan 2nd
                  Time: from 1-ish till we drop!
                  Place: Meguro (on the Yamanote line, next to Ebisu)
                  Games: A Game of Thrones: http://boardgamegeek.com/game/10873
                  Maybe Power Grid after that...

                  How to get to Ryan's place:
                  Go to Meguro and get out the West exit. Take the first bus in front
                  of you and get off at the third stop (Motokeibajyomae) OR walk down
                  the hill 10mins or so until you cross a river...keep going up the
                  hill and when you see a Tokyu Store supermarket (munchies) turn at
                  the next left (this is also where the bus stops). Walk down the road
                  until you come to a T-section (3 mins) turn left, take your first
                  right, my house is the first on the right. It has my name written on
                  it.

                  Email me quick if you want a spot!

                  Ryan Bigelow

                  Yahoo! Mail