Genealogy Mtg. Next Monday, Sept. 24

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2007

      Our Heritage and Our Health -- Update on Jewish Genetic Disorders

      Monday, September 24, 7 p.m.

      Genetics counselor Gary Frohlich from Southern California will present up-to-date information on the genetic conditions that occur more frequently in Jews of Ashkenazi descent.

      Each of these disorders can be devastating, not only to those affected, but to the families involved.  His presentation will explore the diagnosis,management and treatment of all 11 of the Ashkenazi Jewish genetic conditions with a focus on the most common Jewish genetic disorder --Gaucher disease.

      More than 9 out of 10 Jewish- Americans are unaware of Gaucher disease. Approximately one in 450 people may have Gaucher, and the carrier rate is approximately 1 in 14.  Gaucher disease is two-and-a-half times more common than Tay-Sachs.

      Frohlich will share information about the "Founder Effect" among the Ashkenazim  and provide information about physicians and treatment centers specializing in diagnosing, managing and treating the Jewish genetic conditions.

      Please join us Monday evening.

       - - - - - - - - -

      Some items from the Avotaynu e-zine by Gary Mokotoff:

      Newspaperarchive.com and Holocaustarchive.com
      Newspaperarchive.com is a fee-for-service Internet site that can search 2,762
      U.S. periodicals from 725 cities primarily for the years 1759–1923. There is a minimum charge of $24.95 for a seven-day pass. A subset of this company’s service is a Holocaust archives located at http://holocaustarchive.com. This service is free of charge. It demonstrates that they have digitized and indexed some newspapers past 1923.

      The so-called Holocaust archives appears to be nothing more than the Newspaperarchive.com search engine that unconditionally adds the word “Nazi” to any search request. Searching for ancestral towns located articles primarily about the battles of World War II in these towns. I then added the word “Jews” to the search and got more meaningful results. I found Holocaustarchives.com difficult to use, so please don't e-mail me if you have trouble.

      Hamburg Emigration Exhibit Now Open
      BallinStadt, the
      Hamburg, Germany, tourist attraction located on the site where more than five million people emigrated from Europe is now open. It not only includes exhibits showing the emigrant experience but it also includes a Family Research Center, jointly established with Ancestry.com, where visitors researching their family history can find professional assistance. It is also possible to make copies of the passenger emigration lists.

      The 7-acre BallinStadt is named for Albert Ballin, who was a General Director of the HAPAG shipping line. Between 1901 and 1907, Ballin, who was Jewish, had a city constructed specially for emigrants which, in addition to sleeping and dining facilities, also offered businesses, churches, a synagogue, shops, a hairdresser and a music pavilion. He is also credited with inventing the concept of cruising. In order to make better use of his ships during the winter months, he organized cruises to warmer destinations with the sole purpose of traveling in a relaxed atmosphere.

      For details on BallinStadt check out http://www.ballinstadt.com/en/index.php. There are some excellent articles at the site including the history of
      Hamburg as an emigration port, the cause of the massive European emigration, and a description of the new Hamburg Family History Center. There is a booklet that includes numerous photographs of the Port of Hamburg emigration facility. The booklet is on the Internet at http://fhh1.hamburg.de/fhh/internetausstellungen/emigration/englisch/emigration_index.htm

      Chicago (Cook County) Vital Records To Go Online
      The Cook County (Chicago) Clerk has announced plans to place online its vital records—some 24 million records—by January 2008. Documents available online will be birth certificates at least 75 years old, marriage certificates more than 50 years old, and death certificates more than 20 years old. Once a record is found, the user can pay a fee to download it. A full story can be found at http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-digitize_websep07,1,531448.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

      Following the Paper Trail Now In Softcover

      One of the most successful books Avotaynu has published is Following the Paper Trail: A Multilingual Translation Guide—and for good reason. The book gets to the heart of translating records for 13 languages: Czech, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Latin, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish and Swedish. It accomplishes this task by using as illustrations the types of records encountered by genealogists, such as birth, marriage and death records; passports; and other documents. Each chapter is devoted to a different language. Included is a list of the most common words appearing in these documents and a chart displaying the alphabet of the language. I use the Russian alphabet chart constantly to help me decipher documents written in Cyrillic.

      We ran out of stock of the hardcover edition and decided to reprint it in softcover. Alas, the price has not been lowered, because costs have increased in the past 13 years. But it still is a bargain at $29.00. Ordering information plus the complete Table of Contents can be found at http://www.avotaynu.com/books/FPT.htm.

      Israeli Unclaimed Asset Accounts
      The Company for Location and Restitution of Holocaust Victims’ Assets has developed an Internet site that identifies more than 7,000 assets located in Israel—bank accounts or property—that remain unclaimed. The site, located at http://www.hashava.org.il/eng/, states the assets were previously owned by Holocaust victims.

      Jewish Personal Names: Their Origin, Derivation and Diminutive Forms
      Last Chance at a Reduced Price

      This book shows the roots of more than 1,200 Jewish given names including Yiddish/Hebrew variants of each root name with their English transliteration. Footnotes explain how these variants were derived. The regular price is $15.  Additional information, as well as ordering information, can be found at http://www.avotaynu.com/books/gorr.htm. At the site is a sample page from the book and a list of all given names identified in the book.

      3. Dick Eastman’s Online Newsletter notes another interesting fact: It is likely that we all do not have an equal number of male and female ancestors. This is because sometime in the past an ancestor married twice producing two sets of half-siblings. When descendants of these half-siblings marry, they produce an unequal number of male and female ancestors. Consider a trivial (incestuous) example. A man has children by one woman. The woman dies and the man remarries and has children by the second woman. A child of Woman1 marries a child of Woman2 and they have a child. This child has two grandmothers but only one grandfather.

      From RootsWeb Review:

      1b. A Website Worth Looking At

      You're familiar with Wikipedia, a free online encyclopedia that anyone
      can contribute to. But are you familiar with the genealogy wikipedia,
      WeRelate?

      With more than 500,000 pages, it is one of the fastest growing social
      genealogy sites on the Web, and was recently named one of the top 101
      best websites for tracing your roots by "Family History Magazine."

      Everything is free. Start by searching for people you know; then
      create your own pages for people in your family tree--either from
      scratch or by uploading a GEDCOM. Others can contribute their
      information to your page, though older versions of a page are
      preserved. You can also see your ancestors' lives plotted on a map.

      The website has a ten-minute tour to introduce you to its features.

      www.werelate.org

      REQUEST A SEARCH FOR YOUR ANCESTORS AT WORLD'S LARGEST GENEALOGICAL
      LIBRARY.

      Researchers at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City will search this vast collection for your ancestors from the U.S.A., Canada, Australia, or Europe. Friendly service, affordable
      prices. For a no-obligation research assessment visit
      ancestorseekers.com/research/   For help from professional genealogists in
      England or Scotland visit britishancestors.com/research/

      --------

      By Marjorie Wilser

      One of my favorite ways to photograph gravestones is to use an LED
      flashlight--the very bright kind. Have a helper shine the light from
      the side of the stone to illuminate the letters by casting them into
      comparative shadow.

      If you are in very bright sunlight, it helps to shade the stone with
      an umbrella and then use the flashlight. Bright sun will make the
      entire thing wash out, so shading and then selectively illuminating it
      will give a better photo.

      - - - - - -

      Deseret Morning News

      Dailies are treasure trove

      Newspapers are full of information that is vital to genealogists

      By Genelle Pugmire
      Deseret Morning News

      Published: September 13, 2007

      PROVO — Yellowing with age or fresh off the press, a newspaper can be a genealogist's window to an ancestor's soul, says Barry Ewell.

      "Newspapers are untapped for genealogy use," Ewell said.

      Ewell said he had no interest in genealogical research until after his mother's death. At that time he realized he didn't know her very well. In subsequent months after her death he had three dreams where she came to him. In the first two she encouraged him to tell the children about her. Time passed between the dreams. He said the third time she said, "Tell the children about me, now!"

      That sense of urgency made him an overnight convert to genealogical research. One of his greatest resources for family information was the local newspaper.

      Ewell, who taught a class titled Newspapers: Hidden Family Treasures at BYU's Education Week, found family members as he researched old newspapers. He found numerous articles on his grandfather.

      And genealogy or family research doesn't stop at the obituary page. Ewell listed a number of sections and ways a person can find valuable information.

      A lot of genealogists get stuck on the statistical aspects of research: the who, when and where. To truly learn about their ancestors, researchers should seek out the what, why and how of their lives, as well. Newspapers can provide those important components.

      Ewell showed many examples of news clippings using his own family members as examples. Perhaps as a child your ancestor was a student of the week, an honored Scout, a pageant winner, a member of a club or football hero. Perhaps as adults they were in business and advertised in the paper, or ran for public office, or spoke at the Kiwanis club. There are many ways to find out about your family and the friends and associates they had.

      "Your ancestors lived in a world with people all around them, " said Ewell. "Newspapers are the journal of our communities."

      References to their lives could be in legal notices, society pages, advertisements and photographs. Did they fight in a war or perform in a play? Many stories reveal more about the individual and with whom they associated. If possible, find those friends. If they are still living, talk to them about the loved one.

      "Newspapers are full of our life," Ewell said. "When articles were found pertaining to (my) family, the entire page was scanned. The article (on the family member) was later cropped from the full page to create two files."

      Getting an entire page of news with information on it allows a researcher to see what influenced their lives — in the city, state, nation and world.

      Even the negative news can be a positive for researchers. In particular, wartime coverage can give insight.

      "One of the most important parts of the paper is the military news," Ewell said.

      Future genealogists may have to look deeper for information, as privacy laws are changing the way incidents and stories are reported. For instance, fewer hospitals publish local birth announcements.

      The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 regulations will affect your ability to gather information that relates to a person's medical condition and will likely impact stories about accidents, disasters or an individual's health," Ewell said.

      "Remember also that the newspaper is just one place that holds the record of our family," Ewell said. "I am still able to find wedding and birth announcements, funeral programs, etc., that have been printed and distributed by family prior to and during life events."

      While much of the information gathered is from newspapers prior to his birth, he still has gained a great appreciation through the newspapers for his ancestors, Ewell said.

      "Their lives are a testament to me that choices do make a difference, 'good and bad' for many generations. It has helped me understand that my choices, like those of my ancestors, do matter and will affect generations that follow me. And those parts of my life that are printed 'good and bad' in the newspaper will be recorded for those to find that have the interest to know and the instinct of Sherlock Holmes to find," he said.