Genealogy Notes (Take 2 -- Did Not Go Thru Everywhere)

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2006

      www.jgss.org

      October 29, 2006

      Coming Attractions

      November  -- Sunday, November 19, 10 a.m. (Back to Sunday morning schedule)

      Ron Arons -- The Internet Beyond JewishGen and Steve Morse's Web Site

      December -- Sunday, December 10, 10 a.m.

      Reva Camiel -- A Video For My Grandchildren: Showcasing Our Family History

      January -- Sunday, January 21, 10 a.m.

      Allan Bonderoff --=54]6From Shtetl to Hester Street

      Interesting Web Sites:

      Daily life photos:  Thanks to member Allan Dolgow for passing on this Web site:

      "People of a Thousand Towns": The Online Catalog of Photographs of
      Jewish Life in Prewar
      Eastern Europe  http://yivo1000towns.cjh.org/

      British Passenger Documents: From the Tracing the Tribe blog (http://tracingthetribe.blogspot.com/ by Schelly Talalay Dardashti, comes word of a new Web resource: AncestorsOnBoard.com.  "Many of our ancestors arrived in the U.K. in transit from Eastern Europe and later took passage to their final destinations.  Before, the only way to see passenger documents was to hire a researcher or take a trip to the National Records office at Kew (in London) and look for yourself. This record group - BT27 Outward Passenger Lists - has never been available online or on microfilm.

      The records are being scanned and transcribed and manifest images will be available to download, view, save and print.  The Web site indicates the lists cover long-distance voyages made from all British ports from 1890-1960 and says some passengers in the 1890s-1900s are listed as going to an inland destination such as Chicago or Detroit, indicating  these passengers had purchased all-inclusive tickets covering both sea and rail. Indeed, in examples online, 1890 passengers to Montreal are shown going to Spokane, Washington and Calgary, Alberta via the Canadian Pacific Railway.  The Web site is commercial, but no fee information is listed yet.

      Warsaw,  NY Synagogues: Schelly also notes that Steve Lasky of the Museum of Family History offers two Web sites of interest: 1) a 40,000+ list of immigrants from Warsaw he apparently put together from those who came through Ellis Island http://www.museumoffamilyhistory.com/lee-ftp-warszawa-01.htm

      and 2) a Web page he created with photos and details about six of the historic Lower East Side synagogues still standing:  http://www.museumoffamilyhistory.com/soles.htm.

      October 16 Meeting Notes

      Business Items

      President Burt Hecht called the meeting to order and mentioned upcoming meetings.  In November (Sunday, November 19, 10 a.m.), we'll hear from Ron Arons about the Internet beyond JewishGen and Steve Morse's Web site. In December, (Sunday, December 10, 10 a.m.), member Reva Camiel will present the family video she produced from hundreds of family photographs.

      Other items: The blue JGSS T-shirts with "We Dig Our Ancestors" on the back are still available for $16.  Bob Wascou showed off an updated brochure for our organization.

      Mark Heckman said we're still working on computerizing our library and check-out procedures.  Two new books have been added: "The Galitzianers, The Jews of Galicia 1772-1918," by Suzan Wynne, and "From Haven to Home, 350 Years of Jewish Life in America," donated by Burt Hecht.

      Allan Bonderoff gave the treasurer's report -- our account has a total of $854.04.

      Burt noted that next year's IAJGS international conference will be held July 15-20 in Salt Lake City.  We'll have a speaker talking about the Family History Library there for our April meeting.

      Art gave a report on the Family History Day at the State Archives October 14.   He said there were a few disappointments, with tables from some of the groups missing this year.  Gerry Ross coordinated the volunteers and she thanked Susan Abrams, Allan Bonderoff,  Burt Hecht, Mark Heckman, Julie Lavine, Les Malkin, Sid Salinger and Bob Wascou.  Gerry said Art Yates was a great help with booth set-up.

      Art noted that the annual Genealogical Assoc. of Sacramento bus trip to the Sutro Library and National Archives is coming up next Wednesday, October 25.  Contact Sharon Bias if you'd like to go.  Art said the Sutro Library is almost exclusively set up for genealogy research (Les Malkin noted it is famous for all the phone books from 1890 to 1940, from Brooklyn to San Francisco, all on microfilm).  At the regional archives in San Bruno, all of the censuses are available.

      October Program: Mark Heckman -- Tour of Czernowitz

      Mark Heckman's photo(s)of the synagogue of the Sadagora Rebbe, in Sadagora, Ukraine.

      Mark Heckman presented the evening's program, a photo and video look at his May visit to Czernowitz in Ukraine.  The reason for the trip was a symposium held in that city with speakers and organized lectures and tours.  There were people from all over Europe as well as the United States; most spoke German as their native language, Mark said.  The symposium, however, was conducted in English.

      Mark and girlfriend Kathy spent about a week at the symposium as well as a few days in Warsaw and Vienna.

      Those attending the symposium were part of an e-mail group linked through the Czernowitz Discussion Group Web site: http://czernowitz.ehpes.com.  (If you wish to join e-mail list, you can click on Subscribe on the left-hand side of the home page.)

      Mark said Ukraine is a cash economy and "almost never" could he use a credit card or find an ATM.  The hotel wanted to be paid in cash, in dollars, "with new bills."  So wear a money belt, Mark said.

      He was able to make the hotel reservation by e-mail, but had to send it several times.

      He said there was not a lot of English speakers in the Ukraine -- "German is more useful."  Mark got a children's alphabet sheet of Ukrainian letters to help with the language.

      The prices, he said, were very inexpensive and most places don't expect tipping.  "And the taxi drivers are offended if you put on your seatbelt," he said.

      In Warsaw, things were very westernized, with Poland a member of the European Union.  While in Warsaw, Mark visited the site of the Warsaw ghetto.  "They've rebuilt every part of the city except the ghetto," where Mark showed photos of the many monuments.  He said there is one synagogue left in Warsaw.

      In Ukraine, Mark rated the hotel, billed as a four-star hotel, as one star by western standards.  The weather, however, was nice, with plenty of wildflowers.

      At the symposium, attendees also had a chance to meet people from the local community.  There are maybe a thousand Jews in the Czernowitz area now, Mark said.  The group also had a chance to hear a local klezmer band (Mark played a video snippet for us).

      Mark said that western Ukraine seems to be strongly interested in the EU.  While they're not sure if they want to be a member or not, the goal is to raise the standards to the EU level. Meanwhile, eastern Ukraine allies itself more closely with Russia.  Mark also noted that anti-semitism seems to be on the rise in the country now.

      "If you go there, buy health insurance," Mark said.  If you're hospitalized there, it's the patient's responsibility to bring in food and linen.

      Mark commented that the young women in Ukraine seemed to be dressed in very modern fashion, compared to their grandmothers, who were not.  He said many of the older people were apparently on fixed incomes and struggling to make ends meet.

      Mark showed photos of Jewish cemeteries, some of which were overgrown (with stinging nettles to boot).  Even though members of the symposium had a grid of where relatives were buried, thanks to research done by an Ottawa JGS group, they struggled to find and/or read the tombstones.

      Mark and several others joined together to hire a guide for one day to visit several towns in the area, but wished he had been able to spend more time in each location.  He showed photos of former Jewish synagogues, now being used for other purposes, such as a gym.  The group also was able to see typical villages and homes, each with their vegetable garden and cow.

      Mark and Kathy returned to the U.S. via Vienna.

      See You Sunday, November 19!