Genealogy Info and Notes

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2006

      August 20, 2006

      Steve Morse in Roseville Aug. 24

      The Placer County Genealogical Society will feature Stephen Morse at its meeting at 7 p.m., Thursday, August 24.  Steve will talk about "One-Step Web Pages: A Potpourri of Genealogical Search Tools."  The presentation will describe the range of tools available and give the highlights of each one.

      The group meets in the Beecher Room of the Placer County Library, 350 Nevada Street in Auburn.  For more details, go to www.pcgs.pcgenes.com.

      NARA hours may be reduced

      San Francisco Bay Area JGS Vice-Pres. Rosanne Leeson reports learning of a proposed federal regulation to reduce the National Archives hours around the country. The suggested reason is fiscal restraint, closing the facilities during less used hours to maintain service during the times when most researchers use them. The effect at the San Bruno branch will be the loss of their only evening hours, on Wednesdays. The new hours at San Bruno would be M-F 7:30-4, with an extension from 4-5:30 on Wednesdays. They have not had any weekend hours. This will effectively prevent anyone who works from using that facility.

      Public hearings were to be held in Washington DC on August 3, but you can voice your concerns until September 8, 2006, by writing to: Regulations Comments Desk (NPOL)
      Room 4100, Policy and Planning Staff, National Archives and Records Administration
      8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD   20740-6601, or fax: 301-837-0319.

      Meanwhile, NARA Workshop Schedule

      The NARA 2006 Workshop schedule has been announced; workshops will be held at the National Archives and Records Administration - Pacific Region (San Bruno), 1000 Commodore Drive, San Bruno, CA 94066. The Workshops cost $15, payable in advance. To register and reserve a space, call Rose Mary Kennedy (650) 238-3488.

      Federal Land Records - Friday, September 15, 9 am - 1 pm
      Census Records Search - Friday, September 22,
      9 am - 1 pm

      Home of Peace Data....

      Bob Wascou has received a letter from the Home of Peace Cemetery giving us permission to place the information on the JewishGen Online Worldwide Burial Registry (JOWBR).  He picked up the CD with the data from Iris Bachman and is reviewing it, placing it in the proper format for submission to JewishGen.  We can place the data we have now in the database and then add the additional records from January 1, 2000 to the present at a later time. We'll be able to add pictures of the tombstones later as well.

      Change in Confucius Family Tree

      The People's Daily of Beijing reports that it is of great significance that female descendants of Confucius will for the first time be noted in the same manner as male descendants in the Confucius family tree.  In the past, spouses of males were marked behind their husbands' names in smaller characters.  But in future family trees they will be listed in the same size as their male counterparts.  The family tree is considered a vital part of Chinese culture; records of Confucius' family have been kept for 2000 years and are often regarded as works of art.

      Meeting Notes for July 17, 2006

      President Burt Hecht called the meeting to order and welcomed members and guests.  It was announced that a rally for Israel would be held Tuesday at 5:30 on the west steps of the Capitol, sponsored by the Jewish Federation.

      Allan Bonderoff presented the treasurer's report -- there is $1,523.55 in our account, with $50 in checks received today.

      Mark Heckman discussed the library project -- he, along with Burt Hecht, Bob Wascou, Marvin Freedman and Lester Smith have been cataloguing all the books in the library.  It is now computerized in a database, with more than 100 volumes listed.  He noted that Abraham Siegel and Gloria Powers have made donations of past issues of Avotaynu.

      Bob Wascou reported on the Sacramento Home of Peace cemetery database -- he expects a letter that will grant us permission to put the burial information on the JewishGen Online Worldwide Burial Registry (JOWBR).  The database includes information up to 1999 and needs to be updated to the current year.  We are also considering photographing the headstones.  "We've been trying to get permission for more than two years," Bob said.

      Daniel Mandel noted that he is starting an online database for burials done through his new funeral home business based in Vallejo.

      Burt talked about upcoming meetings. There will be no meeting in August, due to the international JGS conference. The Monday, September 18 meeting will feature a report from the conference by Art Yates, and a presentation by Allan Bonderoff, "From Shtetl to Hester Street," on immigration patterns to the United States.

      Art reported on the meeting of the Historical and Genealogical Council for the Sacramento Valley, with about 20 active members.  A few items: The council will participate in Family History Day at the State Archives, set for October 14.  Sept. 1-4 will be Gold Rush Days in Old Sacramento. The new LDS temple in Rancho Cordova will be offering tours before it's officially opened... go to www.lds.org.

      Art shared a few Web sites he found of interest:

      This site offers search capability for a thesaurus of geographic names, and provides latitude and longitude for locations among other details.

      Also, www.fallinggrain.com/world

      You can find satellite (topographic) maps for locations throughout the world; population data also included.

      Lester Smith then raised an issue that has generated 50-60 letters on JewishGen in the last few weeks -- some Mormons are once again posthumously baptizing Jews, without permission.  This effort was stopped a few years ago but has apparently resurfaced.  Lester said next year's IAJGS conference is set for Salt Lake City, so he expects a major effort at the upcoming New York conference to cancel/move it.

      The question was raised as to what we should do as a group-- Bob Wascou made a motion to have the conference in Salt Lake City and express dissatisfaction with the LDS policy.  Lester suggested high officials of the church be invited to the conference.  This was voted on and approved by those at the meeting.

      July Program

      The program portion of the meeting then began, a genealogy "show and tell" of family treasures.  Some highlights of the historical items members shared follows.

      Bob Wascou got the ball rolling by demonstrating an antique wooden grogger or Purim noisemaker from his wife's grandfather's family, dating from about 1850. . . .  Gloria Powers told us about the saga of the fish dishes, from her grandparents' home. They are now hanging on her wall, and her three children will eventually enjoy them as well. . . .  Reva Camiel talked about a samovar in her family, and brought what appeared to be a brass or bronze incense or tea holder, handed down to the eldest daughter.

      Alice Matsumura brought a large needlepoint portrait of a rabbi, done by her mother over a period of ten years.  "I can look at it all day," she said. . . .  Susanne Levitsky showed a silver fork and spoon that her great-grandfather was issued at his French high school in Alsace.  He later carried the silverware with him in 1870 when he came to California.

      Allan Bonderoff brought his baby album from 1938.  "Not everything was me," he said, and showed a 1923 family portrait with the only photo he has of his grandfather. . . . Gerry Ross showed a ceramic elephant from her grandfather, indicating he came to the U.S. by way of the Orient.  "I don't know how he came here but at least I know to look at China around the 1880s."

      Burt Hecht showed a silver kiddush cup presented at an 1894 wedding in his family. . . .    Marilyn Amir talked about finding the name of a relative on the Yad Vashem archives.  She found descendants alive in South Africa and Israel "who had never seen photos of their parents -- they left in a hurry."  Marilyn sent them the family photos she had -- I consider it a mitzvah to share them with relatives."

      Marv Freedman showed a novel, "The Landsmen," by Peter Martin, published in 1952. "The book tells the history of shtetl life in my family, and I will donate it to the library."  . . . Lester Smith held up a copy of "my most treasured possession," the 1912 passport of his father, grandmother and aunt.  The document is in Russian, French and German.

      Carl and Sue Miller told about visiting an old synagogue in Trencin, Slovakia, now a museum and furniture store. On the wall were handwritten names of those who died in the Holocaust, including several of Sue's relatives.  "They showed us prayer books that had been hidden in a sealed storage area during the war, and gave them to us."

      Julie Lavine told about the movie, "Sunshine," shown at the Jewish Film Festival, which tells about a Hungarian Jewish family in the Carpathian Mountains.  "It's the same as my family's story, we followed the same pattern."  . . .  Daniel Mandel noted that his family opened one of the largest funeral homes in Chicago in 1906 and in 2006, he opened his own business in California.  He showed old business cards from Chicago, describing their undertaker and embalmers business.

      Carl and Sue Miller will donate the "California Holocaust Memorial Week" book to our library, featuring survivors interviewed by school children.

      September Meeting

      Our next meeting will be Monday, September 18, 7 p.m.  -- "From Shtetl to Hester Street." Allan Bonderoff will talk about immigration routes and Art Yates will share highlights from the New York conference.