Program Set For Monday Evening

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2006

      www.jgss.org

      June  14,  2006

      June 19  Program -- Making the Most of Cemetery Research

      Monday, June 19, 2006, 7 p.m.

      Albert Einstein Residence Center, 1935 Wright St., Sacramento

      Are you getting the most out of your cemetery research? Join us as Pam Dallas tells us how to conduct cemetery research from home, prepare for a cemetery visit and obtain more information during your visit. Related records will be discussed as well as how to understand and use all the clues from your research.

      “A cemetery is more than just the final resting place of our loved ones,” Pam says. “It’s where we commemorate their lives, mourn their passing, pay tribute to our heritage, reaffirm our faith, treasure our memories and seek our history.“ Pam notes that lifestyle, nationality, occupation and even personality can be studied via cemetery and tombstone research.

      Pam Dallas is a longtime Sacramento area genealogist and speaker at many local and national conferences as well as our own organization over the years.  All are welcome to attend June 19.

      Seeking Those Library Books

      We're still missing a number of books from our library.  These volumes are purchased sparingly from our dues and we hope that they'll be assets for our members' use for many years.   Please check your bookshelves to see if you might inadvertently have a book or two on hand that was borrowed in the past.

      UC Berkeley Needs Back Issues of Avotaynu to Fill Collection Gap
      Bay  Area JGS President Jeremy Frankel received an e-mail from the curator of Judaica at UC Berkeley, that they have received a donation of the quarterly Avotaynu Jewish genealogy journals and that they'll begin subscribing this year.  However, they were missing some issues between 1995 and 2005.  The Bay Area group has come up with most of them but there are still seven missing, which are:
      1995: Spring, Summer, Winter
      1997: Spring
      1998: Fall, Winter
      2003: Spring

      Can any of our members help UC Berkeley make up a full collection? Please contact Jeremy at jfrankel@... if you can donate any of these back issues.

      County Finder Web Site:

      When you know the U.S. town but not the county, type in the name of the town and state here:

      http://resources.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/townco.cgi

      See you Monday evening!