Genealogy Update

    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 10, 2013

      JGSS_Logo_jpeg
      June 10, 2013

      Upcoming Meetings:

      Next Sunday, June 16, 10 a.m.    "Breaking through Brick Walls"
                                                            Einstein Center, Sacramento

      Sunday, June 23, 2 p.m.       "Next Steps in Jewish Family Research," Victoria Fisch
                                                    Davis Library

      Sunday, July 21, 10 a.m.     "The WPA:  Sources for Your Genealogy," Gena
                                                         Philibert-Ortega
                                                   Einstein Center, Sacramento

      May 19 Meeting Notes

      President Victoria Fisch called the meeting to order.  She noted that we have a new venue in Davis, the Yolo County library on E. 14th Street.  Meetings will be held there every fourth Sunday from 2 to 4 p.m.

      On May 21, there will be a tour of the El Dorado County Archives and Museum in Placerville; admission is free.

      Victoria presented the JGSS slate of officers for 2013-14:

      President -- Victoria Fisch
      Vice Presidents for Programming -- Art Yates and Dave Reingold
      Treasurer -- Bob Wascou
      Recording Secretary/Publicity -- Susanne Levitsky
      The slate was voted upon and approved.

      Mort Rumberg was thanked for his many years of finding program speakers -- "It takes two people to replace him,"  Victoria said.

      Teven Laxer was welcomed as the new librarian.  He noted that there are some 20 books out on loan that should be returned; he will start contacting the borrowers.

      Teven said we have about 300 volumes in the library that are part of the inventory, with maybe another 100 not yet inventoried.

      Dave Reingold talked about the upcoming National History Day -- "we're always looking for topics and people to work with students." Those interested can contact Dave at camp_wiseowl@....

      The Sacramento Public Library continues to offer a free 45-minute session, "book a genealogist."
      Victoria mentioned that the Western States Jewish History group is putting together a series of online museums-- check out their website for online exhibitions, starting with Los Angeles and San Francisco.

      The Boston IAJGS conference in August 4-9; Bob Wascou and Teven Laxer are among those planning to go. Victoria Fisch and Jeremy Frankel have decided to not to go, due to one of the speakers included in the program.

      May Program -- Jim Rader on "The New Super DNA Tests"

      Jim talked about FamilyTree DNA, which tests different parts of your DNA. Details can be found on FamilyTreeDNA.com.   He says this test does all the search work.

      National Geographic sends its test to Family Tree DNA, he says.

      Jim says you can search for a surname or can set up a group -- there are more than 6,000 groups out there now.

      Bennett Greenspan, founder of Family Tree DNA -- "his reason for starting it was to do his Jewish genealogy research," Jim says.

      Family history and DNA will be the focus of several speakers on June 6 at the upcoming Southern California Genealogy Jamboree, which Jim will be attending.  It takes place just two blocks from the Burbank airport.

      23andme.com  -- the wife of Google co-founder Sergey Brin is involved with this site, which plans to test one million people to establish a large database and track diseases.

      Some questions to ponder:

      When does your ancestry have an ethnicity?

      What date did you become a member of a nationality?

      Jim says race is a social construct, not a biological one.

      You have to break that old notion that you're from Germany.  But where did those ancestors come from?

      AncestryDNA -- can go back to your great, great-grandparents.

      Each company doesn't have rights to other companies' databases.

      Jim showed what he received from three different companies -- FamilyTree DNA, Ancestry DNA and 23andme -- different results for each.

      FamilyTree DNA -- showed he had 87% Western Europe ancestry,12.08% European (Scandinavia, Turkey, Finnish)
      Ancestry DNA -- 67% Central Europe, 38% Scandinavian
      23andmeDNA -- 100% European
      "As we get more and more tests, it gets more and more foggy," Jim says.

      FamilyTreeDNA Family Finder tests 289 markers; Ancestry DNA 100; National Geographic 200.
      When something is "autosomal" it tests all of your DNA>

      FamilyTree DNA's Family Finder Feature tells you who has the same actual DNA that you have, Jim says.  "It definitely goes back three generations."

      "The very largest pool is FamilyTree DNA."

      Common uses for your DNA findings:
      -- finding adoptee relatives
      -- find fellow sperm donor siblings

      Tests 700,000 locations out of three billion.  "You can map your whole chromosome now for $1500," Jim says.

      Before, the DNA focus was on STRs; now the focus is on the SNP -- single base pair substitutions--which account for many of the genetic differences between you and others (appearance, diseases, etc.)

      Most--no observable differences.

      "With the SNPs, we can figure out where you are in the timeline."

      Hundreds of video clips on YouTube to check out re DNA,SNPs, etc.

      Jim says FamilyTree DNA stores your DNA for 20 years -- "none of the others do that." And your test will always be updated with the latest science.

      www.yhrd.org -- if you want to create a map, you put your results in.  Haplotype database.
      Family Tree DNA does Y-DNA STR testing, has the best set-up for surname projects, and the largest genealogical database.

      23andme -- does medical risk testing as well, possibly the best for the ethnic admixture.

      Ancestry DNA -- only does autosomal DNA now, links to trees on Ancestry, US only.
      "There's no commonality in the tests," Jim says.

      Jim noted that if you want to read up on DNA and genealogy, there are about 30 books on Amazon.com, some on forensic genealogy.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      From Gary Mokotoff's Avotaynu E-Zine:  May 26

      U.S. Version of Who Do You Think You Are? Returns to Television
      The U.S. version of the family-history based show  Who Do You Think You Are? is returning to television on July 23 at 9 p.m. It will appear on the TLC network with Ancestry.com remaining as the sponsor. There will be eight one-hour episodes in the new season. The celebrities featured this year include: Christina Applegate, Kelly Clarkson, Cindy Crawford, Chris O’Donnell and Zooey Deschanel.

      New “Forced Labor 1939–1945” Website
      A website “Forced Labor 1939–1945” has interviews with nearly 600 persons from 26 countries who had to perform forced labor during the Nazi period. It is located at https://zwangsarbeit-archiv.de/archiv/en/archive. Some are undoubtedly Jews because 25 of the interviewees live in Israel.

      An interactive map shows sites of biographical relevance to the interviewees: place of birth, deportation, camps, companies and prisons, places of residence after 1945. You check off which of nine categories are relevant to your search and then all locations are highlighted on the map. Clicking on a location identifies which interviews include the location. If you are registered, you can listen to the interview. The most comprehensive search is “Mentioned Places” which includes hundreds of locations.

      To hear the interviews requires registration which is processed by the site’s creators. You then receive a response in e-mail containing login details if your application to register was successful. I registered but never received a response.

      UK National Archives Adds Naturalization Records Online
      The records of thousands of 19th-century immigrants to Britain are now available to search and download online at http://tinyurl.com/UKNaturalisation. The collection, which covers the period 1801 to 1871, includes records relating to more than 7,000 people who applied to become British citizens under the 1844 Naturalisation Act, as well as a small number of papers relating to denization, a form of British citizenship that conferred some but not all the rights of a British subject.

      The records include:
         • All naturalization applications to the Secretary of State, 1844–1871
         • Some naturalizations by private Act of Parliament, 1801–1868
         • Some letters applying for denization, 1801–1940

      The announcement can be found at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/840.htm.

      JewishGen Offering Intermediate-Level Course in New York Research
      Many Jewish family historians have ancestors or collateral relatives with roots in New York City. Starting June 1, JewishGen is offering an intermediate-level course in New York City research. It will focus on the more esoteric documents generated such as naturalization, probate, landsmanshaftn, voter registration, newspapers, and court cases.

      The four-week course has seven text lessons that are downloaded; there are no specific times for the course; students interact with the instructor though a 24/7 forum, in a query and answer format. Phyllis Kramer, JewishGen Vice-president for Education, is the instructor. Tuition is $100 (there are no waivers for this course). Additional information, including a video, is at http://www.JewishGen.org/education.

      JOAN GRIFFIS , Commercial NewsThe Commercial-NewsSun May 19, 2013, 01:00 AM CDT   May 19, 2013
      Noted genealogical author Megan Smolenyak has reported in the Huffington Post that after a bit of a lull in genealogical programming, four genealogy series will premiere on U.S. television in the near future. First one was Christopher Guest and Jim Paddock’s mockumentary series, “Family Tree,” on May 12 on HBO.

      The remaining series that are “under production” are “Who Do You Think You Are?” (TLC) and “Finding Your Roots (PBS) — which both focused on celebrity subjects — and Genealogy Roadshow, “an Irish import … with an emphasis on family history mysteries, historical events, and ‘average Joes.’”

      Smolenyak’s website, Honoring Our Ancestors, at http://www.honoringourancestors.com, should be bookmarked and visited frequently for helpful advice and other information. For example, a click on the toolbar title “Library” allows one to click on “Internet Research” with links to Smolenyak’s articles from the Huffington Post, Ancestry Daily News, Family Chronicle, and others.

      “Celebs” on the toolbar, provides links to interesting articles including President Obama’s roots, Michelle Obama’s roots, and Annie Moore’s roots (the little girl who was the first to step on Ellis Island).

      Smolenyak’s generosity is greatly appreciated by the 600 recipients who've received her no-strings-attached genealogical grants since May 2000. Read the stories of the genealogical projects she's supported.  Perhaps a local society could request similar help? (The online application is brief and easy.)

      Under the toolbar title, “Submit,” one can click on a link to share with Smolenyak information or stories under the topics Orphan Heirlooms (“treasures” that need to be returned to owners/descendants), Lost Loved Ones’ Stories, and Brick Wall/Mystery Stories. She welcomes such new challenges, and although she “can’t tackle all cases,” her expertise might be just what is needed.

      In her latest book she remarks, “It’s high time for all of us to let our roots show.” Start searching.

      Avotaynu, May 19 edition:

      European Holocaust Research Infrastructure Adds New Tool
      A new tool for researchers is now available on the website of the European Holocaust Research Infrastructure. It is called “EHRI National Reports” and provides for 47 countries an historical overview of the Holocaust period and what archives in the country have Holocaust-related material. Finally, there are published works cited that provide information about the Holocaust period. A description of the project is at http://www.ehri-project.eu/drupal/national-reports-on-website.

      JewishGen Memorial Plaque Project

      JewishGen wants to grow its Memorial Plaque Project. This is a database primarily of plaques placed on a memorial board on synagogue walls. Also known as “yahrzeit plaques,” they exist to memorialize relatives, usually parents or siblings. On the anniversary of the person’s death (yahrzeit), the plaque is illuminated by two small lights on each side. The name is read to the congregation at the Sabbath service before the yahrzeit. These plaques are of genealogical value because they usually include the name of the deceased, date of death reckoned by both the secular and Jewish calendars and the person’s religious name, which includes the name of the person’s father (above example: Chaim ben [son of] Meir.).

      Information on how to submit data can be found at http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/Memorial/Submit.htm. The database is at http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/Memorial.

      MyHeritage Introduces “Record Detective”
      MyHeritage has added a feature to their record search capability called “Record Detective.”  When you identify a record of interest in their collection of historical records, Record Detective will provide a summary of additional records about the person, or about people related to that person. For the more advanced researcher, the feature would be a disadvantage, because it will make the person aware of records s/he already knows of. For example, locating a person in the 1940 U.S. census might produce a result showing that the person in the 1930 and 1920 censuses. The reaction of the advanced researcher might be that the records are known, yet it might be new information to the beginner.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      From the newsletter of the JGS of Ventura and the Conejo Valley:

      First American Jews
      Geni.com has made available Rabbi Malcolm H. Stern’s book, First American Jewish Families: 600 Genealogies, 1654-1988. It identifies more than 25,000 members of the earliest Jewish immigrants to the U.S. beginning in the colonial days. It's available to be viewed here: http://tinyurl.com/bkfr3c7. You may also connect directly to the database by clicking: http://tinyurl.com/acynmo3http://www.jgscv.org

      How The USCIS Helped Break Down a Brick Wall
      By Jan Meisels Allen

      This is a summary of the 5-minute genealogical hint given at the May 5th meeting. USCIS answered the question: What was Aaron Baker’s original name.

      What I Knew:

      Aaron Baker was my maternal Aunt Anna’s husband for 57 years—they married in 1922. He was a farmer in Torrington Connecticut, born in Kovno, Lithuania, and according to the 1920 and 1930 censuses he immigrated in 1914 to the United States. He immigrated with his mother Etta. The 1920 census noted his immigration year—1914 and said he had applied for naturalization: PA. At that time he was living in Torrington with his mother Etta.

      The 1930 census had him married to my aunt and living with their two sons: Allen and Merrill. It stated he immigrated in 1914 and that he was a naturalized citizen. I could not find his ship’s manifest and I had assumed his original name was Beker or Bekerowitz.

      I was going to Boston in late October for an IAJGS board meeting –I thought I would go a day ahead and do some personal genealogy. Knowing that he was naturalized between 1920 and 1930 from the census records, and that he “probably” immigrated in 1914 I contacted the New England Historic and Genealogy Society asking if they had any records that would either show his naturalization or his name change. They replied they did not and referred me to the National Archives North East Region. They also replied that they had nothing they could find.

      Superstorm Sandy prevented my original plan to go to Boston a day early—and as neither organization could assist, I contacted Marian Smith at the USCIS and asked if it was worthwhile to make an inquiry to them. Marian let me know that she found his file and it was interesting—the file had 12 documents in it! She also told me his original name was Israel Buruchowitz! I should fill out the USCIS forms and submit the payment to get the records. I went to the JGSCV website http://www.jgscv.org and clicked on “resources”: United States and scrolled down to the USCIS link: http://www.uscis.gov/genealogy and completed the on-line form and payment.

      When I received the packet, the cover letter explained that they identified 12 documents but were only enclosing 10 documents in their entirety and two partially as under the Freedom of Information Act others were named and they could not provide their confidential information—such as birthdate, Social Security number etc. These would have pertained to my aunt and their eldest child and as I did not need them I did not pursue the appeal which was offered.

      Of most interest was the New Naturalization Lost or Mutilated Form where Aaron attests that “it was burned up by mistake in burning other papers which I thought were no longer needed”. Aaron started his inquiry for a replacement of his naturalization papers several months after the US entered World War II—he probably needed them to prove he was not an alien during the war.

      Other documents included in the file and sent to me were: Certificate of Naturalization; Duplicate Naturalization Certificate, a query about different names on the Petition for Naturalization (Israel Buruchowitz) and the Declaration of Intention (Aaron Baker), the name change letter, the new naturalization form when the original is lost or mutilated, and a letter to the Immigration and Naturalization Service dated February 1, 1943 complaining that he had started the reapplication process in February 1942 in their Boston office and followed their suggestions, paid the fee, filled out the forms and told to appear at a local court in April 1942 where he was interviewed and had heard nothing since.

      Documentary: No Place on Earth

      A documentary film about Jews who hid in a cave in the Ukraine for more than a year during WWII, No Place On Earth is being released in selected cities across the U.S. To see the trailer go to http://tinyurl.com/blrprhf. To see where and when it's being shown, and to request a screening visit http://tinyurl.com/ag2yw2w

      WORLD'S OLDEST TORAH SCROLL DISCOVERED IN ITALY

      After conducting carbon dating tests, the University of Bologna in Italy announced this week  it has what may be the oldest complete Torah scroll in the world. The scroll had been stored in the university library, but in 1889, was mislabeled by a librarian, who dated it to the 17th century. However, a Hebrew professor recently examined it and realized the script was that of the oriental Babylonian tradition—meaning it was much older than previously thought.

      Subsequent carbon dating confirmed the scroll may have been written more than 850 years ago.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      See you at our meeting next Sunday, June 16th!

      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 29

        June 29, 2015

        Upcoming Meetings:
                   July – No meeting
        Sunday, August 2 (note date change) – Valerie Jordan, "Uncovering Family Secrets Through Genealogy"
        Sunday, Sept. 27 (note date change) -- Glenn Kurtz, "Three Minutes in Poland"

        Meeting Notes – June 14, 2105
        President Victoria Fisch called the meeting to order. She said she recently spoke at RootCellar, and, at their initiation of officers, they described what their society was all about.
        Dave Reingold circulated an article from 1991 describing the three major world religions.
        Teven touted the book “American Ghost” by Hannah Nordhaus, mentioned on the NPR program “Fresh Air.”
        Mort Rumberg, in charge of our JGSS nominating committee, proposed the following slate:
                    President -- Victoria Fisch
                    Vice-Presidents in charge of programming – Sheri Venezia, Dave Reingold
                    Secretary – Susanne Levitsky
                    Treasurer – Judy Persin (our founding JGSS president)
        No other nominations were presented. Joan Jurancich moved the officer slate be approved. Gerry Ross seconded. The motion carried.
        Saturday, July 18 is Family History Day, to be held this year at the California Museum downtown (right next to a light rail station).  It is free to the public. Mort has responded and requested we have a table.
        Mort will be attending the International JGS conference held this year in Jerusalem.  There was discussion as to whether we should purchase flash drives from the conference, or access to the top 50 lectures available online for several months.

        June Program – Tony Chakurian
        “The Magners – A Journey in Recovering Lost Family Heritages”
        Tony, a member of the JGS, says he joined our group after talking with members at a Family History Day event a few years back.
        He began his research in 2008.  At the time, he believed his background was1/2 Armenian, 3/8 Irish and 1/8 German. He believed the Magner family branch to be Irish Catholic.  That was not what he ultimately discovered.
        Tony’s roots go back to 19th century California, with his great-great grandmother, Rose Underwood, born in the mining town of Copperopolis in Calaveras County in 1866.
        Rose’s daughter, Hazel Mary Magner, was born in San Francisco in 1895; her father, Emanuel, husband of Rose, was born in Stockton about 1868.
        Tony showed census records documenting these relatives, including an 1880 census showing Emanuel’s parents as having come from Prussia, not Ireland.
        Emanuel was buried in Colma, Tony learned from JewishGen and the JewishGen Online Burial Registry, but moved to Holy Cross Cemetery in 1943. So Tony's question -- was Emmanuel born Jewish? He found the death records of his parents, both buried in  Colma as well, and confirmed that Emanuel was born Jewish.
        After doing his research, Tony talked with his grandmother and asked if she knew the Magners were not Irish.  He says that's all he said. She replied that "They were were German Jewish, I know."
        Tony showed a photo of his great-grandmother in her first communion dress, indicating she was raised Catholic.
        Because Max Magner, Emanuel's father, died in 1903 before the San Francisco earthquake and fire, many of the records Tony sought were lost.  He pieced together information fom the 1860, 1870 and 1880 censuses, all of which indicated Max had been born in Prussia, not Ireland.
        Tony said from the Dictionary of German-Jewish Surnames, he found the name Magner in the province of Posen, which was part of Prussia in 1860.
        Rose Underwood, the wife of Emanuel who was born in Copperopolis, was of Chilean descent, and Tony confirmed details through the 1910, 1920 and 1930 censues.  He also recounted a family story that Rose's mother, Maria, encountered famed California bandit Joaquin Murietta on horseback while she was a girl in California, giving him a cup of water. This would place Maria in California before the bandit died in 1853.
        To check what he had learned about his family by another means, Tony took the Ancestry DNA autosomal DNA test. It confirmed both his Jewish (8% European) and Chilean (5% Iberian Peninsula) ancestry.  He also tested his mitochondrial DNA ("autosomnal only goes back six generations), using the National Geographic Genome 2.0 test. He found he was in group 2, one of the major Native American haplogroups. The group is very broad, he noted, including both North and South America.
        In February of this year National Geographic updated their mitochondrial results, refining Tony's haplogroup to B2i2b, which is generally found in central and southern Chile.
        Tony summarized the results of his research:
        -- The Magners didn't have Irish ancestry.
        -- Emanuel Magner was of Jewish ancestry and Maria Muscoc, one of his maternal ancestors, was born in Chile.
        -- Emanuel's parents were bron in the province of Posen in Prussia and Baden, Germany.
        -- Autosomal testing confirmed Tony's Chilean and Jewish ancestry
        -- Mitochondrial DNA indicated the B2i2b haplogroup, which is Native American with original in central and southern Chile.

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        From Avotaynu's June 14 E-Zine:
        Stephen P. Morse Site Unblocked

        Recognizing the importance of the Stephen P. Morse site (
        http://stevemorse.org), its Internet Service Provider, GoDaddy, has unblocked the site a number of days prior to its normal procedure. The site was taken down when GoDaddy received a complaint from a woman who stated that displaying her picture in a yearbook at the Morse site was in violation of her copyright. Morse challenged the complaint asking her to prove she was the copyright owner, and the woman was given two weeks to respond (which has now ended).

        Citing Ben Affleck’s ‘Improper Influence,’ PBS Suspends ‘Finding Your Roots’

        http://static01.nyt.com/images/2015/06/25/business/25pbs1/25pbs1-master315.jpg
        PBS said on Wednesday that it was postponing a future season of “Finding Your Roots” after an investigation revealed that the actor Ben Affleck pressured producers into leaving out details about an ancestor of his who owned slaves.

        PBS will not run the show’s third season until staffing changes are made, including hiring a fact checker, it said.
        The show, which is hosted by the Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr., traces family histories of celebrities and public figures, and has run for two seasons. The concern about Mr. Affleck’s relative surfaced in the WikiLeaks cache of hacked Sony emails after Mr. Gates asked a Sony executive for advice about a “megastar” who wanted to omit a detail about a slave-owning ancestor.

        “We’ve never had anyone ever try to censor or edit what we found,” Mr. Gates wrote to a Sony executive, Michael Lynton, in July 2014. Mr. Gates added that this would violate PBS rules, and “once we open the door to censorship, we lose control of the brand.”

        When the episode was broadcast in October, it did not mention the slave-owning ancestor. After the emails were posted to WikiLeaks, Mr. Gates said that producers had discovered more interesting ancestors from Mr. Affleck’s family, including a relative from the Revolutionary War and an occult enthusiast.

        Mr. Affleck said in April that he was “embarrassed” when he discovered that he was related to a slave owner. “I didn’t want any television show about my family to include a guy who owned slaves,” Mr. Affleck wrote on Facebook.

        In the investigation, PBS said that producers violated network standards by letting Mr. Affleck have “improper influence” and “by failing to inform PBS or WNET of Mr. Affleck’s efforts to affect program content.”
        The network said that before the third season of “Finding Your Roots” can broadcast, the show needs to make some staffing changes, including the addition of a fact checker and an “independent genealogist” to review the show’s contents.

        PBS also said that it had not made a decision about whether to commit to a fourth season of the show.
        In a statement on Wednesday, Mr. Gates said, “I sincerely regret not discussing my editing rationale with our partners at PBS and WNET and I apologize for putting PBS and its member stations in the position of having to defend the integrity of their programming.”

        Freeze damaged heirlooms
        Conservators and students at the University of Texas have been assisting flood victims salvage their heirlooms and documents following the devastating floods in that area. An article about their activities can be read at http://tinyurl.com/p5canb8, and an important bit of advice is appropriate to repeat here. "Wet papers and photographs, textiles, scrapbooks, books and other sentimental objects should be frozen, if possible, and not thrown out."
        A phone number and further advice is available at the website.

        From the June 28 Avotaynu E-Zine by Gary Mokotoff
        BBC Strikes Back at EU “Right to be Forgotten” Rule

        As previously reported numerous times, the European Union has declared Google must remove from its site links that provide objectionable information about its citizens. The British Broadcasting Corporation has struck back by placing on its website a list of BBC links Google removed as a result of the “right to be forgotten” decision by the European Court of Justice in May 2014.

        The BBC will publish each month links to those pages that have been removed from Google's search engine. BBC stated they are doing this primarily as a contribution to public policy. They think it is important that those with an interest in the “right to be forgotten” can ascertain which articles have been affected by the ruling. They hope it will contribute to the debate about this issue. BBC added that they also believe that the integrity of the BBC's online archive is important and, although the pages concerned remain published on BBC Online, removal from Google searches makes parts of that archive harder to find.

        Links to the removed pages can be found at
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/ 1d765aa8-600b-4f32-b110-d02fbf7fd379. The most recent removal concerns a 2006 article about a man named Richard Holtby who strangled his girlfriend Suzy Healey the weekend before her 40th birthday. BBC does not indicate whether the request to have the offensive article removed came from the strangler, Holtby, or the family of the victim, Healey. From here in the United States, I Googled “Holtby Healey strangle” and got hits for the The GuardianDaily Mail, and at least 10 other British newspaper sites. Suzy Healey is even listed in FindAGrave.com.

        The bottom line is that the European Union has opened up a can of worms. Google has demonstrated its reach is so vast, it is impossible for a person to be forgotten even if he becomes a monk in the Himalayas. Rest assured that some day, someone will post to the Internet a list of all monks who live in the Himalayas and Google will index the list.

        Thank you Jan Meisels Allen, Chairperson, IAJGS Public Records Access Monitoring Committee, for making me aware of this development, as well as the hundreds of situations she reports to the genealogical community every year about record access matters that affect family history research.

        WDYTYA-US Summer Season Will Include J.K. Rowling
        Though not officially announced, this summer season of the American version of Who Do You Think You Are will include Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling. Other celebrities who will discover their ancestral past are Tom Bergeron, Bryan Cranston, Ginnifer Goodwin and Alfre Woodard. The season premiere is Sunday, July 26 at 9 pm ET on TLC.  Additional information is at
        http://tinyurl.com/WDYTYASummer2015

        Celebrities to appear on summer season of the UK version of Who Do You Think You Are have been announced. The exact dates were not given. Great British Bake off presenter Paul Hollywood, modeling legend Jerry Hall, Last Tango In Halifax stars Sir Derek Jacobi and Anne Reid, andactress Jane Seymour are among those on this year’s series.

        Online Collection of Postcards Depict Scenes of U.S. Towns

        Eastman’s Online Genealogy Newsletter notes that USGenWeb has online a collection of postcards consisting of scenes of U.S. towns. The collection is at http://www.usgwarchives.net/special/ppcs/ppcs.html. They may be useful is dressing up a family history book you plan to publish. The site is interested in growing the collection. If you want to contribute postcards in your possession, click the “Submissions” link at the site for additional information.

        New FamilySearch Additions
        After a three-week hiatus, FamilySearch has announced it has added 15.6M indexed records and images to its site. he list is substantial, and it is worthwhile to glance through the entire list.Notable collection updates include 5.5M records from the Iowa 1925 State Census, 2M records from the California Death Index (1905–1939) and 1.2M images from Ontario Marriages (1869–1927).

        DNA Testers: Be Patient
        Israel Pickholtz has written an excellent article in his blog about the frustration people are having when DNA testing does not locate previously unknown relatives. His conclusion is to be patient.

        He states, “…the realistic view is that with only five years of autosomal testing in the various companies' databases, we should not think that we are testing to find our relatives. We are testing so that when our relatives test someday, we will be there waiting to be found. In the meantime, we check our new matches every week or two. That ‘someday’ may be this week.”

        Reminder: Have You Signed the Genealogists’ Declaration of Rights?

        With all the talk about privacy rights by other interest and political groups, the genealogical community created its own “Genealogists’ Declaration of Rights” last May. The Declaration of Rights is a statement advocating open access to federal, state, and local public records. The Declaration affirms America’s long history of open public records, which has been threatened the last few years over concerns about identity theft and privacy.
        Genealogists advocate the right of access to records held by government agencies including but not limited to vital records (births, marriages, deaths, divorces); land conveyances and mortgages; tax assessments; guardianships; probate of estates; criminal proceedings; suits of law and equity; immigration; military service and pensions; and acts of governmental entities. Genealogists further advocate that they need to be allowed access to original records when photocopies, microfilm, digital images, or other formats are insufficient to establish clear text, context or completeness of the record. The rights of genealogists specified in the Declaration object to numerous barriers created to deny them access to records. We cannot have our voice heard in Congress without showing we are a formidable number of voters. Readers can read and sign the Declaration at http://tinyurl.com/GenealgyDoR.

                                                            See you at our next meeting -- August 2!