Genealogy Mtg. Next Sunday the 20th

    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2012

      Sunday, May 20, 2012, 10 a.m.
      California Jewish Cemeteries - Robinn Magid

      Bay Area genealogist Robinn Magid will present a survey of California's many Jewish cemeteries and the challenges of doing research in these locations.  The presentation will include cemeteries ranging from the sparse pioneer Gold Rush cemeteries to those in the City of Colma, "where more residents are below ground than above it."  Robinn will also talk about Jewish Hollywood and its resting places.

      Robinn is a longtime member of the San Francisco Bay Area Jewish Genealogical Society and a board member of JRI-Poland.  She presented this talk at the 2010 international conference in Los Angeles, and spoke to the Sacramento group last year on her recent research trip to Poland.

      Upcoming Television

      Friday, May 18, 8 p.m., Channel 3 -- "Who Do You Think You Are?" -- Paula Deen
      Sunday, May 20, 8 p.m., Channel 6:  :Finding Your Roots"  -- Michelle Rodriguez, Adrian Grenier, Linda Chavez

      Great-grandfather's 1914 misfortune turns into genealogy gold strike today
      Published: Saturday, May 05, 2012, 6:00 AM     Daniel Klein/For The Jersey JournalBy Daniel Klein/For The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal

      pport.JPGThis portion of Carl Klein's 1914 emergency passport application shows just a little of the information available on this document.

      Imagine traveling overseas, a war breaks out and you’ve lost your
      passport. What do you do? Well, I would probably go to the nearest American Consulate. And that’s exactly what my great-grandfather did when he and my great-grandmother were traveling in Germany in 1914.

      Through Ancestry.com, I found a passport application filled out by my great-grandfather dated Aug. 25, 1914 and it just an amazing document. It’s not all that often that you’ll run into one of these, but when you do, it’s genealogical gold. But more on that in a bit.

      My great-grandfather, Carl Klein (you can see a picture of my great-grandparents here), came to the United States in April, 1883 and became a citizen on Oct. 13, 1888. He lived in what was then called West Hoboken working in embroidery, as so many German – and later, Cuban – immigrants did. They decided they would go back to the old country for a visit and landed in Hamburg on July 14, 1914. Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia on July 28. Germany sided with Austria-Hungary, Russia sided with Serbia, Germany invaded France and Belgium, the United Kingdom joined the Allied Powers to help protect Belgium’s neutrality and thus, World War I began.

      My great-grandparents were relatively safe, since they are German by birth and the United States would not enter the war for another three years. But they desperately wanted to get home. They had made a life here, their children were here. And they were missed. Amidst all the news about the war, a story ran on the front page of The Jersey Journal on Aug. 27 headlined, “More inquiries about Hudson folk,” which read, in part, “The State Department sent a cable of inquiry about Mr. and Mrs. Carl Klein of West Hoboken, last heard from at Franenberg [meaning Frankenberg], Germany.”

      But by that time they had already gone to the American Consulate in Chemnitz (where my great-grandmother’s family hailed from) and they filled out a form.

      This may be one of the only times in my life where I say “Thank God for bureaucrats,” because the information on this form is a genealogist’s dream. On one piece of paper I found my great-grandfather’s name, his wife’s name, his birthday, his birthplace, the date he originally left Germany, the name of the boat he sailed on, the date and place of his naturalization, his home address, his occupation and his signature. Now, I already had some of this information, but to find it all on one page was completely shocking to me. Such a find! Thank you for losing your passport great-Grandpa!

      From here I can pick up his citizenship papers, check maps as to where he lived and I have a head start on information about his birth for further research. All because he lost his passport. The moral of the story is: If you find one of your ancestors has filled out an emergency passport application, grab that as fast as you can.
      I’d like to add a gentle reminder here that the Jersey City Free Public Library is sponsoring a couple of free workshops in honor of Historic Preservation Month. Do some genealogy – on your home! On Tuesday we’ll offer Researching Home History and on May 22, there will be a genealogy workshop by yours truly. Both will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Main Library’s New Jersey Room, 472 Jersey Ave., third floor. Admission is free but reservations are required. Please call 201-547-4503 to reserve your spot.

      Daniel Klein is a library assistant at the Jersey City Free Public Library’s New Jersey Room and a past president of the Hudson County Genealogical and Historical Society. He can be reached at hudsongenealogy@...

      From the May 13 Avotaynu E-Zine:  Sites for London Research
      Renee Steinig of the Jewish Genealogical Society of Long Island recently posted a list on Internet resources for London research. They are reproduced below with her permission. She notes that “this is not a comprehensive list of sources for London research, just of the sites I recently used.”

      Application for a probate search
      http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/pa1s-eng.pdf

      The Association of Jewish Refugees
      http://www.ajr.org.uk/
      http://www.ajr.org.uk/pdfjournals (archive of journals, 1946-present)

      British Phone Books, 1880–1984
      http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1025&enc=1

      Deceased Online
      http://www.deceasedonline.com
      Described as "UK's Find-a-Grave equivalent," "not very complete."

      England & Wales Death Index: 1915–2005
      http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=7579&enc=1

      England & Wales, National Probate Calendar, 1861–1941
      http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1904&enc=1

      Federation of Synagogues *
      http://www.federationofsynagogues.com/

      General Register Office
      http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
      After finding cousins in the Ancestry death index, I ordered records
      online here and received them in about a week.

      IAJGS Jewish Cemetery Project - London England
      http://www.iajgsjewishcemeteryproject.org/london/index.html

      JewishGen and JGSGB UK Database
      http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/UK/

      London Electoral Registers, 1847–1965
      http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1795&enc=1

      London Gazette
      http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/
      "Official newspaper of record for the UK." Notices of naturalization
      and probate can be found here.

      Medical directory ...: London, provinces, Wales, Scotland,
      Ireland, abroad, Navy, Army & Air Force (numerous years, on
      GoogleBooks)
      http://books.google.com

      Moving There
      http://www.movinghere.org.uk/
      Especially interesting for my purposes: the index of "Internees at
      Liberty in UK" (1939–1942). (Refuges who were exempted from internment
      as enemy aliens.)

      National Archives (UK)
      http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
      The site has an index to, among other things, naturalization applications and certificates.

      United Synagogue Burials* (Orthodox)
      http://www.theus.org.uk/support_services/find_your_family/burial_records

      Western Marble Arch Synagogue*
      http://www.marblearch.org.uk/
      Merged with Western and West End Great Synagogues and has their burial
      registers.

      * Unlike most of the cemeteries in New York City, where numerous synagogues, landsmanshaftn, and other fraternal organizations own sections, London's Jewish cemeteries, I've learned, are all administered by synagogues or synagogue organizations, among them Federation, United and Western Marble Arch, and also Liberal, Masorti, Reform, Sephardi, etc.

      See You Next Sunday, 10 a.m.