See you a week from Sunday, the 15th

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2012

      Jewish Genealogical Society of Sacramento
      "Using Facebook and Twitter in Genealogy"
      Sunday, January 15, 2012, 10 a.m.

      Lorenzo Cuevas will be the January 2012 speaker for the Jewish Genealogical Society of Sacramento, focusing on Facebook and Twitter.  He'll show how to make the best use of social networking for genealogical research and says this method of connecting is becoming more important each day.
      Lorenzo has been gathering data on his Cuesta and Saldana lineages since the 1960s and has found "new" relatives throughout the country.  His day job is with the State of California as a computer programmer; he is also a professional registered parliamentarian.
      .
      PBS Explores Genealogy Again
      Wednesday, 04 January 2012 16:55
      PASADENA, Calif. -- Long before NBC's genealogy show "Who Do You Think You Are?" PBS joined with historian Henry Louis Gates Jr. on its own genealogy series, which has morphed into "Finding Your Roots," a 10-part series that debuts on PBS stations on March 25.
      This latest iteration will feature two people in each one-hour episode, including husband-and-wife actors Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick, who jokes she's afraid they might turn out to be cousins.
      "They are indeed distant cousins," revealed Gates. "Talk about six degrees of separation, right?"
      Gates said he's had some guests agree to do the show and pull out, including Colin Powell, who changed his mind in the span of four minutes, e-mailing, "Changed my mind. I have too many cousins already."
      Gates said he first got fascinated with genealogy when "Roots" premiered in 1977.
      "Ever since I've had a bad case of 'Roots' envy," Gates said. " I wanted to be like Alex Haley and find my family tree."