Next Genealogy Meeting Mon. Sept. 19

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9 10:10 AM

      Coming up, a week from Monday:
      "Immigration and Citizenship" -- Lynn Brown
      Monday, September 19, 2011, 7 p.m.
       Lynn Brown will follow up on her January presentation regarding  "Immigration Records Online" and share additional tips for searching immigration, naturalization and citizenship records.  She'll talk about the agency that replaced the Immigration and Naturalization Service and how to best access available records to further your research.

      A family historian for more than 35 years, Lynn Brown has an extensive background in computer and genealogy research. She is a Sacramento Regional Family History Center volunteer and recently retired from teaching genealogy research skills in several local school districts. She has lectured throughout the Central Valley and owns Family-Quest.com, a genealogical counseling business.

      From  the IAJGS' Jan Meisels Allen:

      Below is a link to The Guardian.co.uk article on L'viv (Ukraine) destroying the "Golden Rose" (once one of Europe's most beautiful synagogue complexes, the 16th-century Golden Rose) that was one of the remaining vestiges of Jewish existence when in 1940 the majority of residents were Jewish.  The Ukrainians are planning to build a hotel on the site to host next year's European football championships, the world's third most-watched sporting event. The destruction is being done without giving the handful of remaining Jews a chance to restore this site, or turn it into a memorial.

      Update: Footnote.com
      Last month, Footnote announced it will focus on offering the most comprehensive collection of U.S. military records available on the Internet. As part of this new focus, the name of the site has changed from Footnote to Fold3. The Fold3 name is derived from a traditional flag folding ceremony in which the third fold in the ceremony honors and remembers veterans for their sacrifice in defending their country and promoting peace in the world.
      Fold3 will be adding millions of U.S. military records to continue to help you discover and share stories about everyday heroes, forgotten soldiers, and the families that supported them. You will still be able to search all the informative records, including non-military records, previously found on Footnote. We have already begun expanding Fold3's r military collection to include the following:

      From Avotaynu's Sept. 4 E-Zine:
      JewishGen Ending the Use of “Shtetl” in Its Database Names
      JewishGen is moving away from using the term “shtetl” in the titles of its town-oriented databases. Shtetl is the Yiddish word for “town” and connotes a small village, the kind where Tevye lived in Fiddler on the Roof. It also has an eastern European connotation.

      This term may have worked in the earlier days of JewishGen when much of the focus was on eastern Europe, but now the focus is more global and the term is inaccurate. ShtetlSeeker, the incredible gazetteer that pinpoints every populated location in 54 countries in Europe, North Africa, the Middle East, and Central Asia. has been renamed the JewishGen Gazetteer. ShtetLinks, the individual pages about Jewish communities throughout the world, has been renamed KehilaLinks. Kehila is a Hebrew word meaning “community.” Historians use the term to mean the organized Jewish community in a town or area.

      New Book Offering: DNA & Tradition
      Every year, just before the annual conference, Avotaynu gets inquiries from other publishers asking whether we would be willing to sell their book at the conference. We have stopped doing it because our past experience is that these books do not sell well. So when I (Gary Mokotoff) got a call from Ken Tauber of Devora Publishing about their book “DNA & Tradition.” I said “no.” Further discussion revealed his offices were within driving distance of Avotaynu’s offices, so I told him if he delivered the books to us and picked up the unsold copies, I would make the book available. He delivered 25 copies and the book sold out at the conference. (Actually we had more orders than copies.)

      This book describes how DNA research has confirmed many of the traditions of Judaism. The best known is the so-called Cohanic gene which almost all men have who claim to be of the priestly class. Another important discovery is that today’s Jews are descended from Semites, people from the Middle East. Anti-Zionists have claimed that modern-day Jews are not entitled to the Holyland because they are descended from Eastern Europeans, not Semites. I recall listening to a lecture by  at an IAJGS conference where it was noted that the closest DNA kin to today’s Jews are the Palestinians.

      The cost is quite low for a book of its size—204 pages. It is  $15 plus shipping. Order it at
      http://www.avotaynu.com/books/DNA&Tradition.htm. The chapter titles are shown below.

      Chapter titles
        The Discovery of the “Cohen Gene” – DNA Test of Tradition
        Scattered and Gathered – DNA Confirms Middle Eats Origin of World Jewry
        The Founding Mother – Genetic Matriarchs
        The DNA Key
        Tribes of Israel – Lost & Found / Ancient and Modern
        Tribes of Exile – Ashkenazim and Sephardim
        All About the Kohanim and the Tribe of Levi
        Ancestor Search
        Abraham’s Chromosomes? Genetic Indications of the Historical Abraham
        Confirmation of Tradition

      ~~~~~~~~
      See you Monday evening the 19th, 7 p.m.

      .