See you Sunday morning!

    Message 1 of 19 , May 12, 2011

      Jewish Genealogical Society of Sacramento

      Sunday, May 15, 10 a.m.
      Albert Einstein Residence Center
      Janice Sellers -- Newspapers Online

      Newspapers are valuable in genealogical research because you find information about births, death, marriages, moves, businesses, naturalizations, court cases and more.  Millions of pages of the world's newspapers are now online, but there is no one place to find them all.  Janice Sellers will give an overview of what is available and how to find it, and provide some tricks and tips to find your ancestors in the paper.
      Janice  is an editor and professional genealogist who specializes in Jewish research.  She is the publicity director for the San Francisco Bay Area Jewish Genealogical Society and the managing editor of Galitzianer, a quarterly newsletter focused on Jewish research in the former Austrian province of Galitzia. Janice has been on the staff of the Oakland Regional Family History Center for 11 years.
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 13, 2012

        Sunday, December 16, 2012, 10 a.m.

        Jewish Genealogical Society of Sacramento

        "Immigration Online" -- Lynn Brown

        Searching for immigration and United States citizenship records?  The immigration experience was recorded in a variety of federal records that only became available to researchers in 2009.

        Lynn Brown returns to talk about 20th century records now available through the National Archives and the U.S. Customs and Immigration Service.  She'll touch on alien, naturalization, immigration and affiliated records and how to use the federal genealogy online ordering process to request records.

        Lynn's been a family historian for more than 35 years.  After retiring from careers with Girl Scouting, AT&T and the U.S. Army Reserves, she began helping others with genealogy research.  Currently she volunteers at the Family History Center, has taught Computerized Genealogy and has been speaking to Bay Area and Central Valley genealogy groups since 2004.

        Please join us Sunday morning!

        Registration Now Open for 2012 Jamboree Webinar Series
        The Southern California Genealogical Society announces that registration is now open for the popular Jamboree Extension Webinar Series for 2013. The webinar series provides web-based family history and genealogy educational sessions.

        Jamboree Extension Series webinars are conducted the first Saturday and third Wednesday of each month. Saturday sessions will be held at 10 a.m. Pacific time. Wednesday sessions will be scheduled at 6 p.m. Pacific.

        Upcoming sessions are listed below. Click on the link to register for any session you want to attend. For details,check out the SCGS website.

        Wednesday, December 19 - 6pm Pacific time / 9pm Eastern time.
        Schelly Talalay Dardashti
        Saturday, January 5 - 10am Pacific time / 1pm Eastern time
        Lisa A. Alzo

        Wednesday, January 16 -  6pm Pacific time / 9pm Eastern time.
        Linda Geiger Woodward, CG, CGL

        Saturday, February 2 - 10am Pacific time / 1pm Eastern time.
        Eric Basir

        Wednesday, February 20 -  6pm Pacific time / 9pm Eastern time.
        Michael John Neill

        Saturday, March 2 -  10am Pacific time / 1pm Eastern time
        Lisa Louise Cooke

        Wednesday, March 20 -  6pm Pacific time / 9pm Eastern time.
        Michael Brophy

        Saturday, April 6 -  10am Pacific time / 1pm Eastern time
        Denise Levenick

        Wednesday, - April 17 -  6pm Pacific time / 9pm Eastern time.
        Janet Hovorka

        Saturday, May 4 -   10am Pacific time / 1pm Eastern time

        Wednesday, May 15 - 6pm Pacific time / 9pm Eastern time.
        Debbie Mieszala, CG

        Saturday, June 1 - 10am Pacific time / 1pm Eastern time
        Jane Neff Rollins

        Saturday, June 1 -  2pm Pacific time / 5pm Eastern time
        Leo Myers and Paula Hinkel

        Wednesday, June 19 -  6pm Pacific time / 9pm Eastern time.
        Valerie Brown Elkins, CG

        Saturday, July 6 - 10am Pacific time / 1pm Eastern time
        Tonia Kendrick

        Wednesday, July 17 -  6pm Pacific time / 9pm Eastern time.
        Nancy Lauer

        Saturday, August 3 - 10am Pacific time / 1pm Eastern time
        Jay Fonkert, CG

        Wednesday, August 21 -  6pm Pacific time / 9pm Eastern time.
        Mary Roddy

        Saturday, September 7 -  10am Pacific time / 1pm Eastern time
        George G. Morgan

        Wednesday, - September 18 - 6pm Pacific time / 9pm Eastern time.
        Beth Foulk

        Saturday, October 5 - 10am Pacific time / 1pm Eastern time
        Taneya Koonce

        Wednesday, October 16 - 6pm Pacific time / 9pm Eastern time.
        Drew Smith

        Saturday, November 2 - 10am Pacific time / 1pm Eastern time
        Jean Wilcox Hibben, PhD, CG

        Wednesday, November 20 - 6pm Pacific time / 9pm Eastern time.
        Leland K. Meitzler

        Saturday, December 7 - 10am Pacific time / 1pm Eastern time
        Gena Philibert Ortega

         The initial (live) webcast is offered free of charge to all. SCGS members can review archived sessions at any time by accessing the members-only section of this website.

        To join a webinar, most participants attend via computer with audio speakers or a headset. Those with a fast Internet connection will have the best experience. It's possible to phone in to listen to the presentation.

        For more information contact:
        Paula Hinkel ( phinkel@...
        Vice President, Southern California Genealogical Society

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Check out family photos below featuring six generations of women:

        Somers woman's genealogy research finds grim answers
        Betty Houtz holds photos of six generations of her family. Houtz learned tragic details about her great-grandmother Libera Cappello (top center).
        Betty Houtz holds photos of six generations of her family. Houtz learned tragic details about her great-grandmother Libera Cappello (top center).
        Dec. 8, 2012

        Never know what might tumble out when you shake the family tree.
        The findings of Betty Houtz's genealogical search are summed up in this front-page Milwaukee Journal headline she uncovered from March 28, 1914: "Six little Italian children left motherless by cruel accident; Father, who deserted them, died half year ago."
        The dead woman and deadbeat man were Betty's great-grandparents, Libera and Pasquale Cappello. And the oldest of those orphaned children was Betty's grandmother, Mary Luke.
        "It's just a sad, sad story every which way you turn," Betty said in an interview. The 67-year-old woman lives in Somers and is a retired Kenosha County worker.
        Betty had only the barest of information before she began her research. She remembers asking her own mother questions about their ancestors.
        "All she could say was Great-grandma fell down the elevator shaft. That's all she knew."
        Or at least all she cared to say. Clearly, the better life these two immigrants had sought in America went terribly wrong.
        Betty knows now that Libera Cappello did not die in a fall, but indeed was crushed to death by an elevator at the Wells Building in downtown Milwaukee.
        Libera, an immigrant from Italy who spoke little English, took a job as a scrubwoman after her ex- husband Pasquale died in the Milwaukee jail, where he was serving time for refusing to financially support his children after the divorce.
        Less than two weeks after starting work at the Wells Building, which remains today at 324 E. Wisconsin Ave., Libera tried to step into the freight elevator, which had stopped a few feet above the seventh-floor level. The operator told her to wait and then accidentally hit the lever that made the elevator go up rapidly. Libera, who had stepped partway onto the car, was crushed and killed instantly.
        Betty knows all this because she found a transcript of the coroner's inquest at the Milwaukee County Historical Society, along with the detailed and nasty divorce records and other helpful - if sometimes hurtful - documents.
        Beginning about 12 years ago, she was urged to study her Italian roots by a friend, Mary Ann Cole of Kenosha, who knew where to look and what to ask for. Betty's research now fills a 4-inch thick binder. And Betty is still reeling from the answers she found, and shocked at how much news coverage it all received at the time.
        Immigration records show that Pasquale, who was born in 1865, came to the United States in 1893. Libera, whose maiden name was Degnodone, was born in 1877. She immigrated here in 1900 and was married to Pasquale three days later in Milwaukee, which makes Betty think it was an arranged marriage. The two came from the same village in Italy.
        Their first child, Betty's grandmother, Mary, was born in 1901. Records show Libera had 10 pregnancies, but six living children at the time of her death the evening of March 27, 1914.
        The divorce was final in 1911. Pasquale, a laborer, refused a court order to pay child support and chose jail instead. He died of tubercular meningitis on June 26, 1913, and newspaper accounts from the time said he had an appeal pending before the state Supreme Court. His argument: He had served one jail term for abandonment, and therefore he should not have been rearrested and jailed again for the same offense after he continued to refuse paying anything toward his children's care.
        After Libera died the following year, the community took an interest in the fate of the children - Mary, Anthony, Rose, Josephine, Pasquale and Nickolas. They were placed at the Milwaukee County Children's Home, and eventually some went to live with relatives or adoptive families.
        News articles describe how they received the first carriage ride of their lives to Holy Cross Cemetery for their mother's burial ceremony. Proceeds from a performance of the San Carlo Opera Company went to the family. The state ordered the Wells Building owners to pay $15,000 compensation to the children for the loss of their mother. And in 1951, the grown children posed together for a photo in the Milwaukee Sentinel to promote an open house at the county's Children's Home.
        "The amazing thing about the six children - the oldest being 13 at the time and the youngest 4 - was that some of them were adopted out but they always maintained their bonds as siblings. So that was a pretty strong bond," Betty said.
        Betty is bothered by how careless or clueless the newspapers and public records were with the family's names. Libera is spelled every which way, and in some instances she's called other names entirely. The last name, which is shown on Pasquale's birth record from Italy as Cappello, shows up with many variations, and seems to have permanently morphed to Capello over the years. The language barrier is undoubtedly to blame for some of this. And it's a century too late to fix the mistakes.
        There is one thing Betty hopes to change. She found the graves of Libera and Pasquale - both at Holy Cross Cemetery, though not together. They are unmarked, and Betty plans to put a gravestone at least on Libera's final resting place.
        STINGL ON THE RADIO Jim Stingl talks about his column at 7:35 a.m. every Sunday on WTMJ-AM (620). Call him at (414) 224-2017 or email at jstingl@....
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        News Analysis
        A Tepid ‘Welcome Back’ for Spanish Jews
        By DOREEN CARVAJAL  Published: December 8, 2012  New York Times

        http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/12/09/sunday-review/09SPAIN/09SPAIN-articleInline.jpg
        Courtesy Doreen Carvajal
        The Carvajal family in the early 1930s. The writer’s great-grandparents Albertina Peres and Alberto Carvajal are seated at the center. Her great-aunt Luz Carvajal is third from left, standing.
        I AM conducting a global search for a missing menorah that my great-aunt Luz concealed in a commode in her cramped bedroom in a garden apartment in San José, Costa Rica. She preserved it until she died, in her 80s, in 1998, when she was buried swiftly the next day with a Sabbath-day psalm on her funeral card — cryptic signs of my Catholic family’s clandestine Sephardic Jewish identity because the prayer avoided any reference to the trinity or Jesus.
        I tallied these and other Carvajal family clues a few days after the Spanish government heralded its new immigration reform last month. Five hundred and twenty years after the start of the Inquisition, Spain opened the door to descendants of Sephardic Jews whose ancestors had fled the Iberian Peninsula, forced, in order to live in Spain or its colonies, to choose between exile or conversion to Christianity. Or worse.
        Top government officials pledged to speed up the existing naturalization process for Sephardic Jews who through the centuries spread in a diaspora — to the Ottoman Empire and the south of Italy; to Spain’s colonies in Central and South America; and to outposts in what are now New Mexico, Texas and Mexico.
        Spain’s foreign minister, José Manuel García-Margallo, sought to address his nation’s painful legacy when he revealed the reforms, declaring it was time “to recover Spain’s silenced memory.” But the process is much more complicated than it appears, and some descendants are discounting the offer as useless, or even insulting, as it dawns on them that they are excluded.
        Some of those converts in Spain’s colonies — still within the reach of the Inquisition — led double lives for generations, as I learned from writing a book about my own family’s concealed identity. They lived discreetly, maintaining Jewish rituals that would have put them in peril if they had been discovered. They risked confiscation of wealth, prison, torture or death. Some relatives knew, some didn’t and others refused to see.
        For this act of heresy, living life as Jews, a branch of Carvajal converts in the 16th century was decimated in the Spanish colony of Mexico by burning at the stake.
        They are called anousim — Hebrew for the forced ones — crypto Jews or Marranos, which in Spanish means swine. I prefer a more poetic term that I read in a French book: silent Jews who lived double lives.
        The Spanish offer was not as simple as it first sounded, and almost immediately evoked a mix of reactions. The Federation of Sephardic Jews in Argentina, for one, was elated. But there were some hard questions from bnei anousim, the descendants of the anousim. They were concerned about criteria that were not widely explained.
        Genie Milgrom, president of the Jewish Genealogical Association of Greater Miami, researched her family’s unbroken Sephardic Jewish line through 19 generations of grandmothers to Spain. She said she had no interest in Spanish citizenship in “a country that extinguished my heritage.” But for those who want nationality, she said Spain “needs to be abundantly clear on what they are going to do with the anousim.”
        The proof of Jewish identity among the anousim is often pieced together like a mosaic of broken Spanish tiles. Clues range from last names to cultural customs in the home to intermarriages among families with traditional Sephardic Jewish names.
        In my case, I have a family tree ornamented with such names, since ancestors had an enduring habit of marrying among trusted distant cousins to protect their secret lives. Is it enough, though, to offer the Spanish government a family tree? Or what about Aunt Luz’s old menorah if I can ever find it? My great-grandfather had a habit of visiting a local rabbi in San José weekly. Was that evidence of interior religious lives?
        When I asked Isaac Querub, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Spain, about the criteria for anousim, I was startled by the response. To be naturalized and become citizens, secular bnei anousim Jewish applicants whose families had maintained double lives as Catholics must seek religious training and undergo formal conversion to Judaism. It is the federation that will screen and certify the Sephardic Jewish backgrounds of applicants who seek the documents that can be submitted to the government to obtain citizenship. Mr. Querub said that what the government meant by Jews is “the Sephardic descendants who are members of the Jewish community.”
        The fundamental change is that the Spanish government eliminated a residency requirement, proof of financial resources and an onerous standard that applicants must renounce current citizenship.
        I am pondering the next step. Mr. Querub predicted that the process would be smooth if I started formal conversion, extolling my name, “Carvajal,” as a 100 percent old Spanish name.
        The good news is that perhaps I can finally close the circle with the past, deepen my ties to Spain, and learn more about Judaism and ultimately convert. I already feel that connection so profoundly that I moved one summer with my family into a village of white houses on a sandstone ridge in Andalusia to understand my family’s fear and penchant for secrecy.
        But there is something about the Spanish offer of citizenship with new religious requirements that unsettles me and others in the shadowy category of bnei anousim. The anousim were the forced ones. To seek Spain’s generous gift, isn’t that happening again?
        Michael Freund, who created the Jerusalem-based Shavei Foundation to aid anousim descendants seeking to reclaim their religious identity, initially praised the offer as a symbol of “modern day Spain’s efforts to make amends.”
        But when he learned more about the criteria, gratitude turned to gloom about limiting the decree to Sephardic Jews while excluding bnei anousim.
        It’s “as if to say that there is no need to right the historical wrong that was done to forcibly converted Spanish Jews,” he said. “This is an outrage, and it goes against the spirit of reconciliation which the Spanish government claims to cherish. How sad that instead of utilizing this opportunity to send an unequivocal message of contrition, Spain is choosing to heap further insult on injury.”
        Doreen Carvajal is a reporter for The International Herald Tribune and The New York Times and the author of “The Forgetting River.”

        THE GENEALOGY ICEBREAKER
        Wednesday, December 05, 2012
        by: Tammy Tipler-Priolo
        When I meet people for the first time I am inevitably asked what it is that I do. What runs through my head is the long list of unpaid, non-volunteer hours I put in as a Domestic Engineer, Taxis Driver, Councilor, Nutritionist, Cook, Personal Shopper, Pet Caregiver, Medical Advisor, etc. Instead I like to use the “icebreaker” that I work with the dead. Now that stops them in their tracks and revs up an individual’s attention. At times I believe I can actually see the wheels spinning in their heads wondering if I am a mortician, grave digger, medium or just plain nuts. I proceed to tell them that I am a professional genealogist and except for some uniformed individuals who think I deliver babies or study rocks, the major of people know that what I do is research family histories. This seems to intrigue them more as they then explain how they have their family histories completed by some older relative or that they are in the process of tracking down their ancestors or some even wishing they could but don’t know how. Oh sure there are always the few who could care less about their family history, but for the most part people are willing and eager to talk about it.

        I can learn so much about a person once they start talking about their past and it always surprises my husband how I can get a group of people I only just met, talking amongst themselves about themselves in such a short amount of time, with me coming away with more details on a person then he has learnt knowing them longer then I have. Mentioning that I am a professional genealogist is the trick of course. Of course I listen intently and carefully to what they are telling me as I believe everyone has their own important story to tell. To make them feel more comfortable I also share with them some of my family history stories especially if they relate to what they have been telling me. Thus, a conversation has begun with respect and mutual sharing. I also make sure to ask a few questions to encourage them into sharing more. I learnt this as a child when my grandfather use to tell us stories and my brother and I would ask grandpa to tell us the story about such and such. Even if we had made the topic up and never heard tale of it before, grandpa would always oblige and some new story would unfold for our eager ears. I love hearing everyone’s story and I believe people just want to be heard and acknowledged.

        I am always thrilled to see a spark light up inside someone when they discover the joys and pleasures of hunting for their ancestors. Heck I find it remarkable the stories from my family history wondering how I was every born with ancestors coming from different parts of the world. Such conversation is so satisfying and yet reminds me of all the others who I still need to reach while their ancestors wait silently and patiently in books, manuscripts, government documents, tombstones, microfilm, digital formats, old family bibles and letters, on the Internet and within the hearts and minds of our living elders. Are you looking for an icebreaker when you meet new people? Tell them your passion is working with the dead and then see what unfolds. You never know, you might be talking with a long lost cousin that was never really a stranger at all.

        Tammy Tipler-Priolo BASc, PLCGS
        The Ancestor Investigator is also the Ancestor Whisperer!
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Please join us Sunday morning!

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 18, 2013

          Sunday, January 20, 2013, 10 a.m.

          Reconstructing Family Information From Almost Nothing  -- Janice Sellers

          Join us Sunday as Janice Sellers provides a case study demonstrating techniques and sources allowing the reconstruction of seven generations of a family.  The immigrant ancestors of the family came from Eastern Europe to rural western Pennsylvania in the mid-1800s.

          Janice's search began with the slimmest of information -- a town name, one person's last name, a married woman's first name and a third person's occupation.  A key clue was a newspaper obituary.

          Janice Sellers is a professional genealogist who specializes in newspaper and Jewish research.  She is the editor of two genealogy journals and a member of numerous genealogy societies, including the San Francisco Bay Area Jewish Genealogical Society. Janice has volunteered for 12 years at the Oakland FamilySearch Library

          Kudos to Judy!

          Congrats to our JGSS founder, Judy Persin, on being honored last Sunday as one of Hadassah's Women of Distinction.

          From the January 13 Avotaynu e-zine

          Theresienstadt Site Has List of Victims and Documents

          A site listing Holocaust victims from Theresienstadt Camp now has photos and documents of many of these people:  http://www.holocaust.cz/en/main. The home page has two pathways: “Database of Digitised Documents” and “Database of Victims.” Initial information displayed in the Database of Victims includes name, date of birth and place/year of death.
          Clicking on the person’s name provided additional information: deportation date/place, exact date of death and place (usually Terezin or Auschwitz). If there are documents in the Database of Digitised Documents, they are shown as thumbnails.

          20th Anniversary U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum. April 26 will mark the 20th anniversary of the opening of the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum to the public. To mark the occasion, the USHMM is planning commemorations in Chicago, Los Angeles and Washington, DC. For details: http://neveragain.ushmm.org/events.

          Auschwitz Attracts Record Number of Visitors. A record 1.43 million people visited Auschwitz-Birkenau in 2012. The largest group of visitors by nationality was from Poland: 446,000 visitors. Visitors from other countries included UK (149,000), United States (97,000), Italy (84,000), Germany (74,000) and Israel (68,000).

          Leon Leyson dies at 83; youngest survivor on Schindler's List

          Leyson was one of the 1,100 Jews saved from the Nazis by German industrialist Oskar Schindler. He taught school in Huntington Park for 39 years and shared his survival story with others.

          Leon Leyson
          “The truth is, I did not live my life in the shadow of the Holocaust. I did not give my children a legacy of fear. I gave them a legacy of freedom,” Leon Leyson said. (Los Angeles Times / January 13, 2013)
          http://www.latimes.com/media/graphic/2012-01/67488150.gifRelated photos »

          By Elaine Woo, Los Angeles Times
          January 13, 2013, 8:29 p.m.

          Among the 1,100 Jews saved from the Nazis by German industrialist Oskar Schindler was an emaciated 13-year-old boy named Leon Leyson, who had to stand on a box to reach the machinery in the Krakow factory where Schindler sheltered him and his family.

          The boy Schindler called "Little Leyson" survived the Holocaust to start life over in Los Angeles. He taught high school in Huntington Park for 39 years, rarely mentioning to anyone the pain and perils he experienced during the war that claimed the lives of 6 million Jews.

          Then came the celebrated 1993 movie "Schindler's List," which ignited public interest in the stories of Holocaust survivors. Coaxed into breaking five decades of near-silence on the subject, Leyson — the youngest member of the group rescued by Schindler — embarked on a public speaking career that took him across the United States and Canada to share his story about coming of age during the Nazis' brutal reign.

          "Any time he told his story he never used notes, he never gave the same talk twice. It always came from the head and the heart," said his friend and Chapman University religious studies professor Marilyn Harran. "It made people walk away wanting to be better people, to care more, to remember not only the Holocaust but to remember that we can never be indifferent."

          Leyson, a longtime resident of Fullerton, died Saturday in Whittier after a four-year battle with lymphoma, his daughter Stacy Wilfong said. He was 83.

          She said her father was reluctant to talk about the war years because he "didn't think anybody was interested. He didn't have public speaking experience. He didn't think he was going to be any good."
          His reticence may also have been due to his attitude that, having been given a second chance at life, he just wanted to get on with it.

          "The truth is, I did not live my life in the shadow of the Holocaust," he told the Portland Oregonian in 1997. "I did not give my children a legacy of fear. I gave them a legacy of freedom."

          The youngest of five children of a glass factory worker and his wife, Leyson was born Sept. 15, 1929, in Narewka, Poland, a village near the Russian border. He later moved to Krakow with his family.

          He was a few weeks shy of his 10th birthday in 1939 when German forces invaded Poland and life as he had known it began to crumble.

          Six months after the invasion, Poland's Jews were ordered into a section of Krakow enclosed by a fence, the tops of which, Leyson often recalled, resembled grave markers. "I don't think that was an accident," he told the Los Angeles Times in 1994. His parents loaded their belongings onto a wagon and were crammed into one bedroom of an apartment in the Jewish ghetto with only a sheet separating them from another family.

          Random shootings of Jews escalated into mass killings and deportations to extermination camps. The two constants in his life became hunger and fear.

          One time when SS commandos surrounded the ghetto, he and a few other boys hid in the attic crawl space of a building next to their apartment. His mother, Anna, and another boy's mother remained outside. But when the sound of gunshots and mayhem grew louder, Leyson's mother scrambled into the cramped hideaway and with the boys watched in horror as the commandos took the other mother away.

          "I can recount dozens of times where if I had stepped … to my left I would have been gone, or if I happened to step to my right," Leyson told The Times. "It wasn't anything like being smart or clever or anything like that."

          Two of his brothers also were killed. Older brother Hershel had fled to the family's village and died in a massacre of its 500 residents.

          Another brother, Tsalig, was taken from the ghetto and placed on a train to a concentration camp. In "Schindler's List," the Steven Spielberg movie based on the book by Thomas Keneally, Schindler is shown getting on the train to save his accountant. He recognized Leyson's brother and tried to save him, but the 16-year-old refused to budge because he was with his girlfriend, who was not on Schindler's list of employees.

          "Leon could never make it through this painful part of his talk without breaking down," but didn't stop there because of "his determination and tenacity to keep telling the story," said William Elperin, president of the 1939 Club, an organization of Holocaust survivors and descendants.

          After seeing the movie at a screening, Leyson was awed, particularly by scenes showing boys running from the Nazi commandos. "It was like having an out-of-body experience," he told The Times, "because those little kids who were … trying to get away from the Sondercommando — that was me. That was my friends."

          His only criticism was that he felt the film emphasized the imperfections in Schindler's character — the womanizing, profiteering and Nazi ties — and did not show enough of the businessman's "basic human decency." Leyson worked 12-hour shifts like the adult Jews, but Schindler doubled his rations when he saw how weak he was and took him off the line when his eyesight began to falter. He left packs of cigarettes for Leyson's father and added Leyson's mother and surviving siblings to his list, making them one of the few families he took under wing.

          "He put everything on the line," Leyson said of Schindler in the Fort Collins Coloradan in 2010. "Even to treat us as human being was against the law.... He did it because he was a decent human being."
          Leyson immigrated to America in 1949. His work experience in Schindler's factories led him to study industrial arts at L.A. City College and Cal State L.A. before earning a master's in education from Pepperdine University in 1970. He taught machine shop and was a guidance counselor at Huntington Park High School for four decades, retiring in 1997.

          In addition to his daughter Stacy of Warrenton, Va., he is survived by his wife of 46 years, Lis; a son Daniel, of Los Angeles; a sister, Aviva Nissenbaum, and a brother, David, both of Israel; and six grandchildren.

          A public memorial will be held at noon Feb. 17 at the Chapman University chapel.

          Leyson saw Schindler for the last time in 1974, just before the man regarded as a savior of Jews died. Schindler was on a visit to L.A. and Leyson joined the group of Jews who greeted him at the airport.

          He started to introduce himself, but found it wasn't necessary.

          "I know who you are," Schindler said, grinning at the middle-aged man before him. "You're Little Leyson."
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          Help NARA Curators Find Signatures in the Records
          by Meredith D. (admin)  NARA  on January 16, 2013

          Jennifer Johnson, an exhibit curator at the National Archives, would like your help finding records in the National Archives with signatures.  She’s working on an exhibit and would appreciate suggestions.
          At the National Archives, we have a range of signatures from the infamous (Lizzie Borden), to individuals before they were famous (Julia Child’s OSS paperwork), as well signatures that had the power to change someone’s life or to change history, such as a Presidential pardon.Lizzie Borden signature
          We would like your help to tag records with “signature” in our online catalog.  Don’t be restricted to any categories of records. Tag records you think are interesting or surprising.
          To get started tagging, you’ll need to:
          ·         Create a username and password,
          ·         Login to the System,
          ·         Start searching for interesting records or your favorite topics, and
          ·         Then type in tags in the “Add Tag” field.
          If you know of interesting signatures in records not yet available in our online catalog, let us knowwith as much information as possible about the record.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Victoria Fisch passes on the video below.  Here's the description:

          "Marcy Rosen had never seen a photograph of her grandfather, Morry Chandler, as a young man. He is a Holocaust survivor, and all pictures from his childhood were lost or destroyed. But then Marcy found a pre-World War II film from his hometown in Poland on the Holocaust Museum's website. And she spotted his fourteen-year-old face among a group of children and teens smiling at the camera. She immediately contacted the Museum to learn more about the film and the person who donated it. What happened next was a dream come true."

          And here's a Wall St. Journal link to a story on discovering unwanted secrets through genealogy research.  It includes a mention of Ron Arons and his family's Sing Sing connection.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          See you at 10 a.m. Sunday!

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 15, 2013
            Victoria Fisch and Jeremy Frankel will present "Doings in the Cemetery."

            Jewish Genealogical Society of Sacramento

            Sunday, February 17, 10 a.m., Albert Einstein Residence Center.

            Victoria and Jeremy will discuss interpretation of dates, symbols and common inscriptions found in Jewish cemeteries. They'll also talk about alternate methods for finding burials, including online resources, and show headstones from California, New York, London, Paris, Venice and Florence.

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 12 3:31 PM

              Next Meeting: Sunday, April 14, 10 a.m.
              "Return to Galicia," Sherri Venezia     Albert Einstein Center, Sacramento

              After a decade of family research, Sherri Venezia felt an intense need to go to the Ukraine and visit Lviv, a city central to where her ancestors lived and the capital of the historic region of Galicia. Lviv is also a UNESCO World Heritage site.

              With the help of a local guide and researcher, Sherri discovered the names linked with places through research and also visited a local  concentration camp, Janowska, and a former ghetto enclosure.  She'll share her visit as the first person in her family to set foot in Lviv in more than 100 years.

              Sherri Venezia lives in Davis and is a retired school psychologist.

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

              Thanks to Dave Reingold, here's the link from last week's CBS Sunday Morning piece on the 20th anniversary of the Holocaust Museum.

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

              A fascinating Washington Post story on two Italian sisters who survived Auschwitz together and travel with students back to the camp.

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

              New Life in U.S. No Longer Means New Name
              By SAM ROBERTS    New York Times
              For many 19th- and 20th-century immigrants or their children, it was a rite of passage: Arriving in America, they adopted a new identity.
              Charles Steinweg, the German-born piano maker, changed his name to Steinway (in part because English instruments were deemed to be superior). Tom Lee, a Tong leader who would become the unofficial mayor of Chinatown in Manhattan, was originally Wong Ah Ling. Anne Bancroft, who was born in the Bronx, was Anna Maria Louisa Italiano.

              The rationale was straightforward: adopting names that sounded more American might help immigrants speed assimilation, avoid detection, deter discrimination or just be better for the businesses they hoped to start in their new homeland.
              Today, most experts agree, that traditional immigrant gambit has all but disappeared.
              “For the most part, nobody changes to American names any more at all,” said Cheryl R. David, former chairwoman of the New York chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association.
              Precise comparative statistics are hard to come by, and experts say there was most likely no one precise moment when the practice fell off. It began to decline within the last few decades, they say, and the evidence of its rarity, if not formally quantified, can be found in almost any American courthouse.
              The New York Times examined the more than 500 applications for name changes in June at the Civil Court in New York, which has a greater foreign-born population than any other city in the United States. Only a half dozen or so of those applications appeared to be obviously intended to Anglicize or abbreviate the surnames that immigrants or their families arrived with from Latin America or Asia. (A few Russians and Eastern Europeans did, but about as many embraced their family’s original surnames as adopted new ones.)
              The vast majority of people with clearly ethnic surnames who applied to change them did so as a result of marriage (belatedly adopting a spouse’s surname or creating a new hyphenated one) or childbirth (because they were legally identified when they were born only as a male or female child or were adopting a parent’s name).
              Iyata Ishimabet Maini Valdene Archibald of Brooklyn changed her name to Ishimabet Makini Valdene Bryce. Guo Wi Chan of Forest Hills, Queens, changed his to Ryan Guowei Chan. And after Jing Qiu Wu, the Flushing, Queens, mother of 5-year-old Star Jing Garcia, divorced, she renamed her daughter Star Rain Wu, dropping her husband’s surname.
              Several dropped Mohammed as a first name, adopting Najmul or Hayat instead. And one older couple changed their last name from Islam to Khan, but they said they were conforming to other younger family members rather than reacting to discrimination.
              Sociologists say the United States is simply a more multicultural country today (think the Kardashian sisters or Renée Zellweger, for instance, who decades ago might have been encouraged to Anglicize their names), and they add that blending in by changing a name is not as effective for Asians and Latin Americans who, arguably, may be more easily identified by physical characteristics than some Europeans were in the 19th century and early 20th century.
              Also, at least in certain circumstances, affirmative action and similar programs have transformed ethnic identity into a potential asset.
              “If you are talking about 1910, the social forces on conformity were much stronger,” said Marian Smith, senior historian of the United States Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, “whereas now an immigrant arrives with all these legal and identity documents, a driver’s license in their pocket, a passport, with one name on it. To change this is a big deal.”
              Douglas S. Massey, a Princeton University sociologist, suggested that newcomers from overseas and their children no longer felt pressure to change their surnames beginning “during the 1970s and 1980s, as immigration became more a part of American life and the civil rights movement legitimated in-group pride as something to be cultivated.”
              You can apply to the State Supreme Court to change your name (for $210) or to Civil Court (for $65) as long as you swear that you are not wanted for a crime and are not doing so to defraud anyone. Immigrants can simply check a box on their applications for naturalization. (The government said that in 2005 fewer than one in six did so, and for every possible reason.)
              A century or so ago, some names were simplified by shipping agents as immigrants boarded ships in Europe. Others were transliterated, but rarely changed, by immigration officials at Ellis Island. Many newcomers changed their names legally, from Sapusnick to Phillips (“difficulty in pronouncing name, interferes with their business,” according to a legal notice), Laskowsky to Lake (“former name not American”) and from Katchka to Kalin (Katchka means duck in Yiddish and a particular Mr. Katchka was “subjected to ridicule and annoyance because of this”).
              Most requests appear to have been granted routinely, although as recently as 1967, a Civil Court judge in Brooklyn refused to change Samuel Weinberg’s family name to Lansing “for future business reasons, such that my sons shall not bear any possible stigma.” The judge’s name was Jacob Weinberg.
              During World War I, another Brooklyn judge refused the application of a Weitz to become a Weeks.
              “There is no good reason why persons of German extraction should be permitted to conceal the fact by adopting through the aid of the court names of American or English origin,” the judge ruled. “It may involve some moral courage to bear German surnames or patronymics in these days, but the discomfort can best be borne by a display of genuine loyalty to this country.”
              Nancy Foner, a sociology professor at Hunter College of the City University of New York, said: “Jews and Italians changed their surnames in the past so that people wouldn’t identify them as Jews or Italians, the famous cases of course being movie stars. But if you look, phenotypically, nonwhite — East Asian, for example, or black — changing your last name is not going to make a difference. Betty Joan Perske became Lauren Bacall, and most people didn’t know she was Jewish; whatever name she used, Lena Horne was black.”
              Lisa Chang, whose parents came from Korea in 1976, had assumed she would marry a Korean man, but decided to retain her maiden name when she wed a Caucasian instead.
              “I felt like I would lose a part of myself and my Korean heritage and like I was cheating on my family’s name,” said Ms. Chang, 28, a troubleshooter for online advertising sites. “No one actually told me I had to change my last name, but I did feel some pressure from my future in-laws.”
              Marija Sajkas, 40, a health care advocate who moved from Yugoslavia seven years ago, is adopting her Bosnian husband’s surname, Tomic — partly because it is easier to pronounce. “I am fortunate,” she said, “to have a great husband who also has a pronounceable surname.”
              Even these days, finding precisely the right adoptive name — one syllable or not — can be a problem. Not long ago, David M. Glauberman, a Manhattan public relations executive, grew tired of having to spell his name every time he left a telephone message. Instead, he legally changed his name to Grant. The first time he left a message, a secretary asked: “Is that Grand with a ‘d’ or Grant with a ‘t’?”
              Sam Roberts’s grandfather arrived in the United States as Samuel Rabinowitz. His family first changed the name to Rubin, then to Roberts.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

              See you Sunday morning!
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
                Sunday, June 16, 10 a.m., Albert Einstein Residence Center

                Breaking Down Brick Walls

                Our June meeting focuses on breaking through the barriers, solving the problems you haven't been able to solve.  Join us Sunday as our members provide guidance on those tough questions that impede research.  The answers may help you in your own research efforts.

                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                And here's an item from Avotaynu about the new museum in Antwerp.  You may recall a speaker we had in the last year or so who discussed the Red Star Line and is involved with the museum.

                Red Star Line Museum To Open in September
                http://avotaynu.com/Gifs/NWN/RedStarMuseum.jpgA Red Star Line Museum will open on September 27 in Antwerp, Belgium. It will be housed in three buildings in Antwerp harbor that originally served the ship line. In the museum, a timeline of human migration is illustrated with 20 personal stories of passengers who traveled on the Red Star Line.

                Antwerp was a particularly popular port of emigration for Jews from Central and Eastern Europe. These people constituted a sizeable proportion of the Red Star Line’s passengers. The shipping company recruited its customers from deep within Eastern Europe. It conducted a vigorous advertising campaign and used an extensive http://avotaynu.com/Gifs/NWN/RedStarMuseumYiddish.jpgnetwork of agents. To take one statistic: of the 2.8 million people to leave czarist Russia for the United States between 1899 and 1914, 40% were Jewish. These people came largely from Lithuania, White Russia (Belarus), Ukraine, Bessarabia (Moldova) and Poland. In addition, there were also many Austrian-Hungarian Jews. In many cases, these were people of very limited means who were assisted by several Jewish relief organizations in Antwerp. The majority of these migrants came by train through Germany with a minority reaching Antwerp by boat. A further description can be found at http://tinyurl.com/RedStarJewish.

                At present, the purpose of the museum is to display the immigrant experience. There is no mention of research facilities or record collections. The museum’s website is at http://www.redstarline.org.

                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                And here's Part 3 from the New York Times series on archival techniques for preserving your family history:

                The New York Times

                June 12, 2013
                Tips on Archiving Family History, Part 3
                By THE NEW YORK TIMES
                Readers sent dozens of questions about archiving and preserving family history and stories to Bertram Lyons, an archivist at the American Folklife Center of the Library of Congress in Washington. He was recently asked to be the editor of the International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives, an organization that aims to share best practices in the management of audiovisual materials internationally. He received his master’s degree in museum studies from the University of Kansas in 2009.
                The first set of answers dealt with questions of preserving audio. The second set of answers addressed film and photos, digital and analog. This week Mr. Lyons fields questions about manuscripts, video and other issues. This feature is now closed to new questions.
                How to Store Aging Documents
                Q. I’ve been told that plastics are not the best thing to store old documents in, and they should be placed in archive quality, acid-free paper products and boxes. However, what advice can you give to family members who keep and cherish documents from the 1800s that are flood prone and who probably would not be willing to consider safety deposit boxes, because they want to keep them at home? Are there sealed, waterproof containers that are advisable in this situation? Pam
                A. Pam, check out this list of suppliers of archival products that the Smithsonian maintains. It’s not the case that all plastics are bad. In fact, certain plastics are highly recommended for long-term storage. The key with plastics is to avoid PVC-based polymers and to avoid any type of plastic that off-gases to a dangerous degree. Three forms of plastic that are regularly used in preservation scenarios are polyethylene, polypropylene and polyester. Look for archival storage products that are composed of one of these three polymers. If photos are involved, make sure the product has passed the Photographic Activity Test (PAT). If so, most products will advertise this fact.
                Q. How could you preserve an autograph book that has writings in it from friends of my great-grandmother. The dates are 1885 through 1887. Cukie, Lacombe, La.
                A. Cukie, the first thing I would do is to purchase a high-quality storage container for it. You want something that lays horizontally and that encloses the book entirely. It also needs to be made of acid-free and lignin-free materials. Hollinger Metal Edge sells such containers. You can also purchase 100-percent-cotton fabric to wrap the book before it is stored in the box. Keep it out of the light entirely (the full-enclosure box will help that), and keep it in a cool, dry space. Heat, light and moisture all speed the decay of cellulosic materials (which is what the paper of the book is made of).
                Digitizing Documents From World War II
                Q. We have a massive collection of old family WWII letters, many of which are near crumbling. We would like to have them digitized and then made into a physical book and an e-book. What suggestions do you have to accomplish this myself or with services that do this type of archival work? Thanks. Koa
                Q. My grandfather’s negatives from World War II are crumbling. I know from letters written between him and his brothers that Agfa chemicals and paper were used. How do I preserve them? They are 120-millimeter format. Should I try refixing them with fixer? Villette 1
                Q. I have a box filled with items from my father’s WWII experience in the Persian Gulf — many letters, photos, crumbling newspaper clippings, pamphlets, patches. How do I preserve and put them together to form an interesting archive for my children and grandchildren? Peggy
                A. Koa, take a look at the responses I provided to other questions about photo digitization and preservation. I provided a lot of resources related to digital imaging (scanning) that will be useful for your case, too. Before you prepare for any scanning, though, it would be helpful for you to stabilize the letters physically. If they are not already, be sure to store them in acid- and lignin-free folders and boxes and to keep them in dark, cool, dry locations, preferably off the floor.
                Villete 1, I’m sorry that I cannot be of more help. I have little experience with physical conservation of damaged negatives. This article by Paul Messier gives a good introduction to preservation considerations for negatives. It also has a useful bibliography that can lead you to further sources. Also, see my earlier answers to photo-preservation questions in which I included many other links to resources.
                Peggy, it sounds as if you have a wonderful collection to pass on to your children. See my earlier answers to questions about photo and manuscripts preservation and storage. There are links to resources that provide guidance on methods to store and protect your collections. Remember to also document what the contents are. If there are people in photographs, document them. Your children will not have the information otherwise. Document dates and places as well. You can keep inventories on paper or in digital formats that your children can use in the future to know what everything is. And if the collection is ever donated to an archive, these inventories will be of great help to archivists and researchers.
                Being an employee of the Library of Congress, I would be remiss not to mention the Veterans History Project (VHP) as a potential home for collections that document the experiences of United States veterans. Its Web site gives information about the project and how to participate. It is an amazing and growing resource documenting the experience of veterans of all United States wars from World War I to contemporary conflicts.
                Many Choices for Digital Video
                Q. We hold a growing community archive of recorded and filmed oral histories. For archival purposes, we’ve been using digital video tape for filming, as well as CF cards for audio.
                1. Is there any reason not to switch completely to nontape video recording? What format or quality setting is most universal (HD/Standard)?
                2. I recently became aware of the limitations of the Mac’s Time Machine as an archive and now create actual file backups. Should we abandon Time Machine or double up on the external drive stack?
                3. What is the most important part of any interview to save and in what format? Our archive of recordings and transcripts is stored on external drives and refreshed, but we also keep printed hard copies of all interviews. Chinquapin
                A. Chinquapin, you ask great and difficult questions. For long-term preservation purposes, the trend is to move toward file-based digital formats instead of carrier-dependent formats. This trend assumes an underlying strategy for maintaining the integrity of digital files and for keeping the files alive and redundant. Unfortunately, for video, there are many choices when it comes to codecs (the way the bits are encoded/decoded to represent the visual data, e.g., ffv1, H.264, Apple ProRes) and wrappers (the way the elements of the video — video, audio, metadata, etc. — are packaged together into a single file, e.g., Quicktime, AVI, MXF). And then there are more choices for matters such as resolution, color space and frame rate. I serve on a working group for audiovisual guidelines as part of the Federal Agencies Digitization Guidelines Initiative (FADGI). Although it is not available yet, we are working on a comparison chart for digital video codecs and wrappers.
                I am not too familiar with Time Machine’s limitations, but I am certain that you should make an effort to keep redundant (multiple) copies of your files on multiple drives, and if possible on multiple storage formats, as well as in different physical locations.
                At the American Folklife Center, we keep the raw footage from interviews as well as the final produced version (if one exists). We also generate transcripts and store those transcripts in physical and digital formats.
                Kara Van Malssen (Audiovisual Preservation Solutions) provides a useful overview of video preservation and management in this article that was written for a project called Oral History in the Digital Age. The article includes a list of resources that add further depth to the conversation, including “A Primer on Codecs for Moving Image and Sound Archives” by Chris Lacinak and a link to the video preservation Web site.
                The Importance of Metadata
                Q. What is the role of metadata in the personal/ family archive. Should an independent archivist have a metadata strategy when preserving digital historical material? Where do we even begin? I would also love to hear your thoughts on the longevity of external hard drives. a_wall
                A. A_wall, metadata, at its most basic, is information about the what, who, when, how, why and where regarding any given object, idea or event. Therefore, in my opinion, metadata plays an essential role in the personal/family archive. The beautiful thing about family history is that we often pass it orally from generation to generation. Humans also have a long history of writing things down in memoirs or letters or on things themselves in order to send information about the past into the future. I think people will continue to do such things.
                The harder question, however, is in what format will humans share information about digital collections as we pass it down from generation to generation. You cannot write on the back of a digital file, as we all know. But you can write in the digital file. And you can keep supplemental information about the digital file in spreadsheets and databases and other electronic forms. I think it is important that we all independently think about the methods through which we will share essential information about our digital collections with future generations. In my work, I’ve found that simpler methods of description prove more sustainable than complex methods. As an independent archivist, if you can develop a consistent strategy for describing your digital historical materials, you will be doing a service to those who come after you. With digital material, this assumes that you also develop a long-term storage strategy for your collections and the documentation about your collections, which leads me to your next question about the longevity of hard drives.
                Hard drives will not last forever. They have an average failure rate of about three to five years at this point. This means that you need to have plans to migrate from drive to drive about every three years. It is also important that you have redundant copies of your collections on separate drives (if possible on different storage formats or with some combination of online storage services and local hard drives) and in separate physical locations. Digital preservation is a long-term commitment to active migration.
                No Storage Medium Lasts Forever
                Q. What’s safer (i.e., more crash-proof and more secure from prying eyes): an external hard drive or online storage? What are the best online storage sites? Larry
                Q. What is the life expectancy for an external hard drive? Will my backups last forever? Sam
                Q. I’ve already lost pictures, videos and audio because of lost and broken drives and computers, so I’ve started storing media in the cloud more and more. But is “the cloud” really safe in the long term? spacebailey
                A. As part of a Web site about personal archiving, the Library of Congress recently put together a quick guide to thinking about storage media. The key takeaway, in my opinion, is that no storage medium lasts forever. With digital information, active migration is essential. You will need to be prepared to develop a storage strategy for your digital files that includes multiple storage formats (hard drives and online storage services, among others), multiple locations (home, online, neighbors, friends, family) and active monitoring and migration to new storage in regular intervals. At this point in the game, no single storage format or service is enough to ensure the health and integrity of your files.
                The Library of Congress also produced this video with advice about digital preservation.
                Q. When will the Twitter archive be available for public search and retrieval? Jason F.
                A. Jason F., here is the most current release of information about the Twitter archive from the Library of Congress. Included at the bottom of the page is a detailed white paper on the topic.
                Unifying Family’s Oral Histories
                Q. I’ve been interviewing my grandparents and great-aunts and -uncles as part of a project to create an oral history of my family for future generations. The recordings are digital, but at this point I have dozens of hours of recordings spread across CDs, USB keys and external hard drives — and I haven’t transcribed any of it. Do you have any pointers for organizing this audio, other than the basic transcription services out there? I’d love to be able to sort the audio by family member, date or other information. Carol
                A. I love that you are doing this project, Carol. It will be a valuable resource for future generations. First and foremost, I recommend that you unify all of your recordings under one roof. Move them all to an appropriate-size external hard drive and then make a copy of that drive so that you have two copies. See some of my other answers in this column for more information about digital file management. Next, take time to make at least a preliminary inventory of your recordings. Use a spreadsheet instead of a text document so that the data is standardized and can be imported into other formats. At the very least, include information about the interviewer, the interviewee, the date of the interview, the location of the interview and the duration of the interview, as well as a short summary of the contents of the interview. Also provide a unique identifier for each audio file (e.g., the file name) and connect this identifier to the data in your spreadsheet. This will provide quick searchability while you wait to move to a more automated method.
                At this point you have the raw materials necessary for use in any automated interface. There are simple and basic systems that you could use for search and access, even something like iTunes could work locally on your computer. Be sure not to assume that a searchable system will provide preservation. You’ll need to continue to be active in your efforts to ensure the integrity and health of the files and the descriptions about the files. There are also more robust systems that you can use to provide access (for yourself, your family or the public) to the interviews. A new project, Pop Up Archive, hopes to provide support for people like you who are looking for methods to organize, preserve and provide some type of access to audio collections.
                The Need to Share Stories
                Q. I thought my mother’s diaries, tiny handwritten lines, would be a memory trove. But I find myself not reading them. Now I am trying to leave memories to my grandchildren, writing memoirs, assembling pictures. But I ask, “Will they care?” Maybe all this memoir writing is for me, to justify my life, not for them? How can I put these artifacts and words together so it might be relevant to their lives? Barbara
                Q. I have a rambunctious group of siblings, associated nieces and nephews, grand-nieces and -nephews and an angelic, positive 92-year-old mother who is full of stories developed over the life of all these people. Her attitude in life has brought her through so many situations with positive outcomes, an exhibition of what a positive attitude can do in face of the most difficult of situations. How can we best capture her life for sharing with the current and future generations of our family? Kat
                A. Barbara, Kat, in my mind, you are asking questions about the most fundamental impulse that drives collecting institutions like archives, museums and libraries: memory. How do societies document evidence and information about the past in such a way that will be useful for their members in the present as well as for anyone at anytime in the future? How do families pass down their knowledge, experiences, histories and legends from one generation to the next? People have been successful at this endeavor for centuries and centuries, and I have no doubt that we will continue in step. Different groups in different times have employed a diverse set of available technologies to communicate to future generations, including oral traditions, written traditions and documentary recording media (still images, sound recordings and moving images).
                In my opinion, what we have learned up to this point is that we need to continue to exploit all of these methods to ensure that we pass on as much as possible from one generation to the next. We need to share stories; we need to write to each other, and about each other; and we need to record our voices and our likenesses. We cannot preserve everything. And not everything needs to be preserved. But the more we talk, the more we write and the more we document, the better chance some fragment of our expressions and experiences will make its way to our descendants.
                Previous Ask an Expert columns can be found here.

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 17, 2013
                  Please join us on Sunday:

                  Sunday, July 21, 10 a.m. "The WPA: Sources for Your Genealogy"
                  Einstein Center 1935 Wright St., Sacramento

                  Gena Philibert-Ortega will talk about the Works Progress Administration of Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal, that involved projects to help Americans get back to work.  Less well known may be projects that included gathering historical information and conducting oral interviews. The presentation will look at the WPA's legacy and how its projects can enhance your genealogical research.

                  Mark Your Calendars -- "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns
                  New shows featuring celebrity genealogy will start again on Tuesday, July 23, 9 p.m., on the TLC network.

                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                  Article from the New York Public Library:

                  Why Your Family Name Was Not Changed at Ellis Island (and One That Was) by Philip Sutton, Milstein Division of United States History, Local History and Genealogy, Stephen A. Schwarzman Building July 2, 2013

                  Between 1892 and 1954, over twelve million people entered the United States through the immigration inspection station at Ellis Island, a small island located in the upper bay off the New Jersey coast. There is a myth that persists in the field of genealogy, or more accurately, in family lore, that family names were changed there. They were not. Numerous blogs, essays, and books have proven this. Yet the myth persists; a story in a recent issue of The New Yorker suggests that it happened. This post will explore how and why names were not changed. It will then tell the story of Frank Woodhull, an almost unique example of someone whose name was changed, as proof that even if your name was changed at Ellis Island (it wasn't), it wouldn't have mattered. Confused? Read on...

                  Immigrants undergoing medical examination., Digital ID 416754, New York Public Library
                  The legend goes that officials at Ellis Island, unfamiliar with the many languages and nationalities of the people arriving at Ellis Island, would change the names of those immigrants that sounded foreign, or unusual. Vincent J. Cannato's excellent book American Passage: The History of Ellis Island explains why this did not happen:

                  Nearly all [...] name change stories are false. Names were not changed at Ellis Island. The proof is found when one considers that inspectors never wrote down the names of incoming immigrants. The only list of names came from the manifests of steamships, filled out by ship officials in Europe. In the era before visas, there was no official record of entering immigrants except those manifests. When immigrants reached the end of the line in the Great Hall, they stood before an immigration clerk with the huge manifest opened in front of him. The clerk then proceeded, usually through interpreters, to ask questions based on those found in the manifests. Their goal was to make sure that the answers matched. (p.402)

                  Inspectors did not create records of immigration; rather they checked the names of the people moving through Ellis Island against those recorded in the ship's passenger list, or manifest. The ship's manifest was created by employees of the steamship companies that brought the immigrants to the United States, before the voyage took place, when the passenger bought their ticket. The manifest was presented to the officials at Ellis Island when the ship arrived. If anything, Ellis Island officials were known to correct mistakes in passenger lists. The Encyclopedia of Ellis Island states that employees of the steamship companies,
                  …mostly ticket agents and pursers required no special identification from passengers and simply accepted the names the immigrants gave them. Immigrant inspectors [at Ellis Island] accepted these names as recorded in the ship's manifests and never altered them unless persuaded that a mistake had been made in the spelling or rendering of the name. Nonetheless the original name was never entirely scratched out and remained legible. (p.176)

                  Although it is always possible that the names of passengers were spelt wrong, perhaps by the clerk when the ticket was bought, or during transliteration, when names were translated from one alphabet to another, it is more likely that immigrants were their own agents of change. Cannato, for instance, suggests that people often changed their name in advance of migration. More commonly, immigrants would change their names themselves when they had arrived in the United States, and for a number of reasons.
                  Immigrants being registered at one end of the Main Hall, U. S. Immigration Station., Digital ID 1693105, New York Public Library
                  Someone might change their name in order to make it sound more American, to fit in with the local community, or simply because it was good for business. There is at least one instance of a small businessman arriving in the United States from Eastern Europe changing his name, at least his public name, to something that sounded Swedish, because he had settled in a Swedish neighborhood in New York City. Immigrants would sometimes officially record their name change, when naturalizing for instance, but often, as there was no law in New York State requiring it be done, no official record of a name change was made. People would just start using a different name.

                  John Colletta, in his book They Came in Ships, describes the immigration process at Ellis Island in more detail:

                  [The] Inspector [in the immigration receiving center] had in has hands a written record of the immigrant he was inspecting and, asking the same questions over again, could compare the oral statements with it. The inspectors therefore, read the names already written down on the lists, and they had at their service a large staff of translators who worked along side them in the Great Hall of the Ellis Island facility. (p.12)
                  Contemporary descriptions of Ellis Island do not mention name changes at Ellis Island. A search of historical newspapers using the ProQuest Historical Database produces only one story about name changes written during the time that Ellis Island was in operation.

                  Leonard Lyon's entertainment column Broadway Potpourri, in the Washington Post of April 10th, 1944, states that Harry Zarief, "the assistant concert master for Morton Gould," and famously a father of quadruplets, had recently changed his name back from Friedman.

                  Friedman. His name originally was Zarief, but when his family arrived at Ellis Island the immigration inspector told him that Zarief was too complicated, and recorded his name as "Friedman." Many years later the "Friedman" was changed back to the original Zarief. (p.9)

                  There are hundreds of stories about the immigration inspection station in the newspapers of the time that do not mention names being changed. In a 1922 article, titled To Be or Not to Be American in the New York Times, journalist Elizabeth Heath describes a visit to Ellis Island, and the Great Hall where immigrants were processed.

                  Upstairs, in the great main hall of the building, the straggling crowd is skillfully split into a dozen long lines, each leading to the desk of an inspector. Before him is spread the manifest of the steamship company, giving the required information about each steerage passenger - religion, relatives in America, amount of money, source of passage money, literacy, occupation, and the positive statement that the candidate for admission does not believe or practice polygamy or anarchy. It is a seeming miscellany of information, but each item has a direct bearing on the legality of admission. (p.41)

                  A letter to the Chicago Tribune advice column The Legal Friend of the People, dated September 16, 1912 discusses name changes and an application for citizenship, and mentions Ellis Island.

                  After having lived in the United States for five years I changed the spelling of my name. When I made my declaration to become a citizen of the United States, about a year and a half ago, I gave my name as I now spell it. Will this cause any hitch in my taking out final citizenship papers six months hence? [...] I understand that all declarations of intention to become a citizen are forwarded to New York and verified by the records at Ellis Island. When it is discovered that my name, as I spelled it when I took out my first papers, is not on the books [the ships manifests] there, will this interfere with my taking out my final naturalization papers?

                  The advice given in reply:

                  On making the application for final papers, you should spell your name as in the original application. You have the right to change the spelling without a court process. (p.6)

                  The idea that names were changed at Ellis Island raises lots of questions. For instance, if names were changed, what happened to the paperwork? And if inspectors were charged with changing names, why are their no records of this? Where are the lists of approved names? Where are the first hand accounts, of inspectors and immigrants? If immigrants had name changes forced upon them, why did they not simply change their name back when they entered the country? Or, if they could not, where is paperwork describing the roles of Federal officials charged with making sure that names were not changed back?

                  Immigrants seated on long benches, Main Hall, U.S. Immigration Station., Digital ID 417074, New York Public Library
                  All rather silly, perhaps. Yet the myth persists, almost exclusively in family lore. One explanation might be that we live in more enlightened times. People migrating to the United States no longer feel that they have to change their name to fit in, and so it seems strange that people would voluntarily change their name generations ago.

                  Marian L. Smith, in her essay American Names: Declaring Independence, suggests that another interpretation of the Ellis Island myth might be:

                  That an immigrant is remembering his initial confrontation with American culture. Ellis Island was not only immigrant processing, it was finding one's way around the city, learning to speak English, getting one's first job or apartment, going to school, and adjusting one's name to a new spelling or pronunciation. All these experiences, for the first few years, were the "Ellis Island experience." When recalling their immigration decades before, many immigrants referred to the entire experience as "Ellis Island."

                  There is always the exception to the rule. The clipping below is from the passenger list for the steamship S.S. New York, which arrived at the Port of New York, from Southampton, England, October 4th, 1908. It shows that a passenger's name has been crossed out and replaced with another, that of Mary Johnson. The clipping below that is from the United Kingdom Outward Passenger Lists and confirms that the passenger had described himself as Frank Woodhull, a clerk, and alien in the United States.

                   S.S. New York (American Line) Sept 26th,1908List or manifest of alien passengers: S.S. New York (American Line) Sept 26th,1908
                   S.S. New York (American Line) Sept 26th,1908United Kingdom outward passengers: S.S. New York (American Line) Sept 26th,1908The S.S. New York's passenger list includes an addendum, a page titled Record of Aliens Held for Special Inquiry. This was a list of the names of passengers disembarking from the S.S. New York, who were detained at Ellis Island. The reason given for "Mary Johnson" being held for further inspection is that "she" was travelling as Frank Woodhull "in male attire." Mr. Woodhull proved that he would not be a financial burden on the United States, and was allowed to continue his journey to New Orleans.

                   S.S. New York (American Line) Sept 26th, 1908Record of aliens held for special inquiry: S.S. New York (American Line) Sept 26th, 1908

                  The incident generated headlines in newspapers all over the country, and Frank Woodhull gave a number of interviews, where he told his story, a story that tells us much about the times. Here it is as told to the New York Times, October 5th and 6th, 1908.

                  My life has always been a struggle. I come of an English-Canadian family, and I have most of my fight to make all alone. Thirty years ago, when I was 20, my father died and I was thrown entirely on my own resources. I came to this country a young girl and went west to make my way. For fifteen years I struggled on. The hair on my face was a misfortune. It was often the subject of rude jest and caused me endless embarrassment. The struggle was awful, but I had to live somehow, and so I went on. God knows that life has been hard, but of the hardness of those years I cannot speak.

                  Then came a time fifteen years ago when I got desperate. I had been told that I looked like a man, and I knew that in Canada some women have put on men's clothes do men's work. So the thought took shape in my mind. If these women had done it why could not I, who looked like a man? I was in California at the time. I bought men's clothes and began to wear them. Then things changed. I had prospects. My occupation I have given here as canvasser, but I have done many things. I have sold books, lightning rods, and worked in stores. Never once was I suspected that I was other than Frank Woodhull. I have lived my life, and I tried to live it well. Most of the time I have been in California, but now I am going to New Orleans, where there are chances of employment.

                   I have never attempted to take citizenship papers. I knew to do so would be either to reveal my sex or else become a law breaker. I have never been the latter. I did not know that there was a law against women wearing male attire in this State or I would have sailed to another port. My folks come originally from England and it had long been my wish to go there and take a look about. So with a measure of success the longing grew and I began to save up for my holiday. I went over in the steerage two months ago and returned the same way.

                  On October 8th, 1908 Woodhull returned from Europe, and passing through Ellis Island, as an alien, despite having lived in the United States for a number of years, was pulled to one side by an official who thought that he might have Tuberculosis. Erica Rand, in her book The Ellis Island Snow Globe, quotes an article that appeared in the New-York Tribune, describing "what happened when Woodhull was called for further examination:

                  […] Woodhull told the surgeon "Oh, please don't examine me!" She pleaded. "I might as well tell you all. I am a woman, and have traveled in male attire for fifteen years." "(p.80)

                  Woodhull was brought before a Board of Special Inquiry at Ellis Island, who according to the New York Times, October 6th, declared him a "desirable immigrant [who] should be allowed to win her livelihood as she saw fit." (p.6)

                  Woodhull talked about how women were expected to behave, dress, and of the types of work open to them.
                  Women have a hard time in this world. They are walking advertisements for the milliner, the dry goods stores, the jewelers, and other shops. They live in the main only for their clothes, and now and then when a woman comes to the front who does not care for dress she is looked upon as a freak and a crank. With me how different.

                  See this hat? I have worn that hat for three years, and it cost me $3. What woman could have worn a hat so long? Bah! They are the slaves to whim and fashion. What could I do when fifteen years ago I faced the crisis in my life? There was only housework to which I could turn.[…] Men can work at many unskilled callings, but to a woman only a few are open, and they are the grinding, death-dealing kinds of work. Well, for me, I prefer to live a life of independence and freedom.

                  The New York Times goes on to add that the individual identified at Ellis Island as Mary Johnson, was freed, to "face the world as Frank Woodhull." (p.6)

                  A private interview between a young immigrant and an Ellis Island official. Two staff members [?] are also present., Digital ID 1693107, New York Public Library

                  A thorough search of Ancestry Library Edition provides no clues as to Frank Woodhull's whereabouts after leaving Ellis Island, though the internet does include references to his settling in New Orleans, becoming an American citizen, and dying in 1939: citations are missing. Perhaps, after the furor, Frank decided to change his name, to avoid further publicity. This story illustrates one thing. Once Woodhull left Ellis Island, he was no longer obliged to be known as Mary Johnson, but was free to resume his life, complete with the name and identity of his choosing. Ellis Island could not impose a name upon him.

                  Further reading
                  Copies of ship's manifests, or passenger lists, are avialable at New York Public Library, via the database Ancestry Library Edition.
                  If you would like to read more about Ellis Island, try searching for materials in the Library's catalog. You can use the following subject terms:
                  The Library's Digital Gallery includes many images of Ellis Island.

                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                  From Gary Mokotoff's E-zines, July 7 and 14, 2013:

                  Lithuanian Internal Passport Indexing Project Reaches 116,000

                  The LitvakSIG Internal Passport Project (1919–1940) has now indexed 116,191 records. For the period 1919–1940, every Lithuanian citizen age 17 or older was required to have an internal passport. They are called “internal passports” because they could only be used for travel within Lithuania. In reality, they were personal identification documents ... and a valuable genealogical resource because they include name, date/place of birth, address, nationality, religion, occupation, some special traits (if the person had any), family status, information about children.

                  There is an 18-month delay between the date the data is extracted and the date they are available to the public at no charge. The information is more readily available if a person contributes money or time to the project. Complete information can be found at http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/Lithuania/InternalPassports.htm
                  .

                  Genealogical Research in the 1980s

                  While placing the contents of Avotaynu’s files back into their proper order after our move, I [Gary Mokotoff] came upon two file drawers that represented my early family history research in the 1980s. It made me think about how things have changed with the advent of the Internet and digitized images. Here are some examples.

                  Some of my most cherished possessions from the 1980s’ collection are the passenger arrival (Ellis Island) records acquired by expending much energy. The records, available then only on microfilm, required that you first search an index sequenced in soundex order. My original family name, Mokotow, soundexed to M230. The American version, Mokotoff, coded to M231. Consequently, I had to look in two different places in the index. (It was one of my motivations for creating the Daitch-Mokotoff Soundex System—a system that supports Germanic and Slavic names as well as Anglo-Saxon names.)

                  Once you found the index card, you could identify which microfilm had the actual passenger record and then retrieve the microfilm reel of the passenger list and locate the page of interest. The film was then brought over to a microfilm printer and a copy of the pages(s) was made. I never did find the arrival record of my great-grandparents because their surname was misspelled on the passenger list. I had to wait more than 20 years for the Stephen P. Morse One-Step site on the Internet which can locate passengers with minimal information about the name.

                  In 1981, I stumbled onto a place called the (Mormon) Family History Center in New York City. The Family History catalog, then on microfiche, showed they had Jewish vital records of the Mokotow ancestral town of Warka, Poland. At that time the Center did not have a microfilm printer. Wanting to capture every document of a person named Mokotow, I brought along my non-digital camera loaded with black/white film and took a snapshot of every Mokotow record projected on the microfilm table. The film was taken to a photo store where it was developed and printed. These snapshots are still in my possession. Years later, a trip to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City allowed me to make prints from the microfilm. Today, Jewish Records Indexing – Poland has indexed these records, and it is likely that in the next 12 months, the actual digitized images located at the Polish State archives site will be linked to this index.

                  My collection also includes some excellent indexed road maps of the countries of Eastern Europe. These were used to find an ancestral town in the 1980s before there was http://maps.google.com.

                  We have come a long way in the past 25–30 years in doing family history research. What used to take hours or days now takes minutes. What could not be found due to misspellings has been overcome with indexes that include wildcard and soundex searches.

                  ~~~~~~~~~~~

                  See You at Sunday's Meeting!

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 14, 2014

                    Frederick Hertz on

                    "Finding David Blumenfeld: A Family Reunited through Discovery of a Diary" --which ultimately led to a trip of discovery to Latvia.

                    See you at 10 a.m. at the Einstein Center.
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 11, 2014

                    Jewish Genealogy Society of Sacramento
                    Sunday, June 15, 10 a.m.
                    "The Julian Calendar and Its Importance to Genealogists"-- Steve Morse

                    The Julian calendar is important to historians because it was used worldwide for more than 16 centuries, and in various parts of the world for another three centuries after that. It's important to genealogists because it was used to record events in many countries as recently as the early 1900s.

                    Converting from Julian calendar dates to our current Gregorian calendar dates appears to be straightforward. But a deeper look shows the subtle issues involved, such as double-dating, undetermined year starts and birthdates that change over time.

                    San Francisco genealogist Steve Morse returns to give us a historic perspective of the Roman calendars from which the Julian calendar is derived. He'll then explain the workings of the Julian calendar and the reforms made to convert it to the more accurate Gregorian calendar.  Steve will discuss the implications of these reforms and the problems they can cause for genealogists and historians.

                    Please join us for this program Sunday morning at the Einstein Center in Sacramento.

                    Genealogy Shows Cardinal O’Connor’s Mother Was Jewish
                    By ALISON LEIGH COWAN  JUNE 10, 2014   New York Times
                    http://static01.nyt.com/images/2014/06/10/nyregion/OCONNORweb1/OCONNORweb1-master180.jpg
                    Cardinal John Joseph O'Connor in 1993. While the cardinal was well-known as a defender and friend of the Jewish people, he was apparently unaware that his mother was born Jewish, the daughter of a rabbi. Credit Fred R. Conrad/The New York Times

                    BRIDGEPORT, CONN. — In his 16 years as the Catholic Church’s top official in New York, Cardinal John Joseph O’Connor was a staunch friend and defender of the Jewish people.

                    He spoke often about what he had seen at Dachau as a Navy chaplain. He used his platform as head of the Archdiocese of New York to support Soviet Jewry, and played a role in the Vatican’s recognition of the state of Israel. Mayor Edward I. Koch, a Bronx-born Jew who worked closely with the cardinal, proclaimed that he loved him “like a brother.”

                    Yet there was something Cardinal O’Connor apparently never knew: His mother was born a Jew, the daughter of a rabbi and butcher.

                    “The basic fact is, my mother was Jewish,” said Mary O’Connor Ward-Donegan, the cardinal’s 87-year-old sister. Observing the Jewish matrilineal tradition, she added, “That means my two brothers were Jewish, my sister was Jewish and I am Jewish. Of that I am very proud.”

                    The saga, reflecting the kinds of rifts, new starts and reinventions that mark many American families, emerged in recent weeks, first in the April 30 issue of Catholic New York in a first-person essay by Mrs. Ward-Donegan, who had been searching for information about her forebears. The revelation set off a storm of genealogical research by the religious press, including Jewish Week, which called upon Renee Stern Steinig, an expert in Jewish genealogy, to connect some dots.
                    http://static01.nyt.com/images/2014/06/10/nyregion/OCONNORweb2/OCONNORweb2-articleLarge.jpg
                    Mary O'Connor Ward-Donegan, the cardinal’s 87-year-old sister, at her home in Ridley Park, Pa.
                     She and her daughter Eileen discovered the family's Jewish roots. Credit Jessica Kourkounis for The New York Times

                    So far, there is no indication that the cardinal, who died in 2000, knew about his lineage. His mother, Dorothy, a devout Catholic who died in 1971, told her children little about her upbringing, according to Mrs. Ward-Donegan.
                    The first hint that her mother had been born in a Jewish home came when Mrs. Ward-Donegan’s daughter, Eileen Ward Christian, spotted some headstones online, including some inscribed in Hebrew.

                    Though Mrs. Ward-Donegan had thought her mother’s maiden name was spelled Gomple or Gumple, she eventually realized that she was seeking family members named Gumpel. The headstones her daughter happened upon were for Gustave Gumpel and Tina Ruben, “wife of Gustave Gumpel,” the couple Mrs. Ward-Donegan now knows as her Prussian-born maternal grandparents. They were in a Jewish cemetery in Fairfield, Conn., owned by the Bridgeport synagogue B’nai Israel.

                    B’nai Israel will accept a member’s non-Jewish spouse for burial now, according to Rabbi James Prosnit, the congregation’s spiritual leader since 1990. But he said the synagogue’s gatekeepers in 1890, when Mrs. Gumpel died, or in 1914, when Mr. Gumpel was buried, would not knowingly have buried anyone there who was not Jewish.
                    Other clues to the grandparents’ religious identity, culled from B’nai Israel’s archives and other sources scoured by Mrs. Steinig, made a strong case that Gustave Gumpel was both rabbi to B’nai Israel and butcher to the German-Jewish community that he and his wife joined in the 1880s after leaving the Lower East Side of Manhattan.

                    Hearing that Mrs. Steinig had traced Rabbi Gumpel’s place of business for a time to a “meat market,” Mrs. Ward-Donegan suddenly recalled a conversation she had with her mother, who had one mangled finger. When she asked her mother how it happened, “Playing in her father’s butcher shop,” was the reply.

                    By all indications, Tina Gumpel was the rabbi’s second wife, helping raise four children from a prior marriage as well as five of her own. She died about 10 years after coming to the United States, sometime around her 30th birthday, leaving Mr. Gumpel to raise the large brood on his own. Her youngest child, identified as Deborah on an 1887 birth record, Dora in the 1900 census, and Dorothy Gomple when she converted to Catholicism and was baptized by Father William J. Fitzgerald in Bridgeport in 1908, was a toddler when her mother died.

                    http://static01.nyt.com/images/2014/06/10/nyregion/11OCONNOR-hp/11OCONNOR-hp-articleLarge.jpg
                    Cardinal John Joseph O’Connor greeted, from left, Rabbi Israel Mowshowitz, assistant to Gov. Mario Cuomo; Rabbi Michael Wyschogrod of the American Jewish Congress, and Rabbi Moses Birnbaum of the New York Board of Rabbis at St. Patrick's Cathedral in 1988. Credit John Sotomayor/The New York Times

                    Mrs. Ward-Donegan said her mother was subsequently cared for by two half sisters, who had been thrust into a role they apparently resented. Dorothy bolted the moment she came of age and, Mrs. Ward-Donegan said, “never went back.” She built a new life in Philadelphia, where she married Thomas O’Connor, a decorative painter, in late 1909 at St. Clement’s Church.

                    Mrs. Steinig said Dorothy was probably not the first of the Gumpel children to leave the family behind. Newspaper obituaries, vital records and a 1915 will left by Emma, one of the half sisters who looked after Dorothy, point to rifts in the family between children who remained Jewish and three sisters who appear to have made other choices.
                    According to both Mrs. Ward-Donegan and Joseph Zwilling, a spokesman for the New York Archdiocese, the cardinal occasionally referred to his mother as a newcomer to Catholicism. “It wasn’t a secret,” Mr. Zwilling said. But based on her German roots and apparent knowledge of German as a child, the assumption was that she had converted from Lutheranism.

                    Mrs. Ward-Donegan, who lives in Ridley Park, Pa., said she only began digging into her roots after her daughter, Mrs. Christian, gave her a paid subscription to Ancestry.com, an online fount of genealogical records, for Mother’s Day two years ago. The two women were planning a trip to Ireland and wanted to read up on their ancestors before they went. “This is how it all started,” said Mrs. Ward-Donegan. “I started building trees on my father’s side of the family, and for my mother’s side of the family, it was really difficult to find anything.”

                    Mrs. Christian played around with the search engine and made an observation that changed everything: her mother’s family seemed to be buried in a Jewish cemetery in Connecticut.

                    Mrs. Ward-Donegan was soon prowling in the Connecticut cemetery for clues, aided by two nuns from Sisters of Life, whose order had close ties to the cardinal.

                    They spotted Tina Gumpel’s grave near the entrance, and, farther back, the graves of Rabbi Gumpel and four of his children. A phrase from the Book of Job was etched in Hebrew on Rabbi Gumpel’s tombstone, describing him as a man who was “plain and straight” and of good character.

                    http://static01.nyt.com/images/2014/06/10/nyregion/OCONNORweb3/OCONNORweb3-articleLarge.jpg
                    Rabbi James Prosnit of the Bridgeport synagogue B’nai Israel, with Gustave Gumpel's gravestone at the synagogue's cemetery in Fairfield, Conn. Mr. Gumpel was the maternal grandfather of Cardinal O'Connor. Credit Andrew Sullivan for The New York Times

                    The reference to Job was apt. Rabbi Gumpel’s life was marked by setbacks and challenge. He outlived the mothers of his children, and was left to raise his children on his own.

                    Also, B’nai Israel’s minutes and other archival records suggest that the community might have been less than appreciative of his services. His name appears nowhere in the programs or extensive news coverage about the opening of the synagogue’s first building in 1911, or about an 1899 wedding that fused two of the congregation’s founding families.

                    “Maybe he was too Orthodox for them,” said Robert K. Lesser, 90, a Bridgeport lawyer and grandson of the marrying couple. “That’s why you don’t see his name around much. He was a butcher, and a rabbi in name only. They must not have respected him much. That was a low-class occupation.”

                    As immigrants who had arrived some decades earlier, Mr. Lesser said, his grandparent’s set “already had their noses up in the air.”

                    Rabbi Prosnit called the Gumpel saga, in which a Jewish daughter ventures off and pursues a new life with a man of a different faith, “an American version of the ‘Fiddler on the Roof’ story.”

                    America in the Gumpels’ day, he said, was a land of assimilation, and “plenty of Jews were embracing the majority culture” when they arrived in the United States.

                    Mrs. Ward-Donegan acknowledged that she might never know why her mother left the fold or who may have influenced her. She said her own progeny were all comfortable with their newfound knowledge of their background.

                    “Born of a Jewish mother, you’re Jewish,” she said. “I have eight children, and they’re fine with that. And I’ve told them, of course, all the girls will carry the line.”

                    Mrs. Christian said her daughters, both adopted from Asian countries, were tickled by this, and kept asking, “So that means I’m Jewish, too?”

                    Census Records Shed a New Light on Some of the Mayor’s Forebears
                    By SAM ROBERTS JUNE 1, 2014
                    http://static01.nyt.com/images/2014/06/02/nyregion/02ANCESTRY1/02ANCESTRY1-master675.jpg
                    The ancestral home of Bill de Blasio at 205 East 17th Street. Credit Chester Higgins Jr./The New York Times

                    Bill de Blasio’s mother was born in the house on East 17th Street in Manhattan. His grandmother, great-grandmother and other relatives lived there, too, at the start of the 20th century. Now, newly-digitized records from a 1905 New York State census have filled in some of the gaps in the congenial Italian heritage that he says grounded him, while his German-American father struggled with alcoholism and ultimately killed himself.

                    Mr. de Blasio has never been inside the three-story redbrick house at 205 East 17th Street, but he has heard plenty of family folklore.

                    “Both my parents were 44 when they had me, so everyone I grew up with were children of the immigrant generation,” the mayor recalled in an interview. “I got an unusual vantage point.”
                    While it was already known that his ancestral connection to Italy helped shape Mr. de Blasio’s life, new details about how his relatives arrived, and the 17th Street rowhouse itself, may also help explain how his “Tale of Two Cities” campaign theme evolved.

                    Photo
                    http://static01.nyt.com/images/2014/06/02/nyregion/02ANCESTRY2ALT/02ANCESTRY2ALT-articleLarge.jpg
                    According to census records, the mayor's grandmother and great-grandmother lived at the 17th Street residence. Credit Courtesy of Ancestry.com

                    His grandmother, Anna Briganti, emigrated from Grassano, “a poor hill town in the middle of nowhere,” he recalled, and yet a village priest instilled in the family the value of education. One of her brothers, who remained in Italy, became a college professor. Of two others, who lived on 17th Street, one was a doctor and another was a civil engineer.

                    “This was a small-town family of very limited means, but there was a strong educational impulse on my mother’s side,” Mr. de Blasio said.

                    Still, the family did not have to disembark at Ellis Island to be screened, because they would have gone through the process before boarding their ship.

                    While the men pursued professional careers, the women were also independently entrepreneurial. Their embroidery business grew into Misses Briganti “high-class ladies dresses,” with a store just off Fifth Avenue.

                    The family was even well-off enough to afford a live-in servant, identified in the census as Rosie Salami, an Italian immigrant.

                    (The digitized version of the original handwritten 1905 enumeration records are available free to New York State residents as part of a collaboration among the New York State Archives, Ancestry.com and FamilySearch).

                    Anna Briganti, apparently, was no shrinking violet. In 1908, she sued a Hoboken doctor for $20,000 (about $500,000 in today’s dollars) for breach of promise, for refusing to marry her.

                    Near the East 17th Street house, St. George’s Episcopal Church, on Stuyvesant Square, also seemed to embody the “two cities” refrain that Mr. de Blasio would later adopt.

                    In 1897, the pastor, the Rev. Dr. W. S. Rainsford, touched off a firestorm in the city by publicly deriding an ostentatious costume ball at a time when “never were the lines between the two classes — those who have wealth and those who envy them — more distinctly drawn.”

                    Three years later, J. Pierpont Morgan’s eldest daughter was married at St. George’s, the same year that the Rev. Dr. S. C. Swallow denounced the tyranny of capital from the pulpit there to an audience of working men.
                    At the turn of the century, Stuyvesant Square was the proverbial changing neighborhood, “fast being surrounded by an alien tenement population,” as The New York Times described it.

                    Neighbors still included the artist Otto Toaspern and John M. Lander, a society band leader and associate of Ward McAllister, the self-appointed arbiter of New York society, who coined the term “The Four Hundred.” But German and Irish immigrants began moving in, followed by Jews and Italians.

                    The neighborhood has bounced back. Recently, a one-bedroom apartment at 205 East 17th, between Second and Third Avenues, with a working fireplace and a Japanese soaking tub, was listed at $570,000.

                    A version of this article appears in print on June 2, 2014, on page A19 of the New York edition with the headline: Census Records Shed a New Light on Some of the Mayor’s Forebears.

                    Genealogy series 'Who Do You Think You Are?' to feature Cynthia Nixon, Rachel McAdams

                    A preview for the upcoming season teases that Nixon discovers surprising secrets about her ancestors.
                    By Annie Martin   |   June 4, 2014 at 2:44 PM   |

                    The 48-year-old Sex & the City actress and 35-year-old The Notebook star are set to explore their heritage on the genealogy docuseries show. The program facilitates various celebrities to take an in-depth look at their family history, and the stars often discover surprising information and secrets in the process.

                    The series aired for three seasons on NBC, and will return to TLC for a second season next month. The upcoming episodes also feature Valerie Bertinelli (One Day at a Time), Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family), Lauren Graham (Gilmore Girls), Kelsey Grammer (Cheers, Fraiser) and Rachel's sister Kayleen McAdams. Past stars include Sarah Jessica Parker, Brooke Shields, Tim McGraw and Vanessa Williams.

                    The new season of Who Do You Think You Are? premieres July 23 on TLC.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                    Didn't know they had genealogy merit badges!-- Susanne

                    Jackson, Wyoming
                    Thursday, June 5, 2014   Calendar
                    ·         Genealogy: Merit Badge for Boy Scouts - Computer Lab
                    ·        Wednesday, June 18th starting at 2:00 PM and ending at 4:00 PM MDT.     Jackson, WY
                    ·
                    Boy Scouts working on completing their genealogy merit badges welcome. An adult may register to participate alongside a Boy Scout. Instructor: Lynn McDowell. Location: Computer Lab. Free. Register at the Library Front Desk or call 733-2164, press 1.

                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                    Megan Smolenyak -- Genealogy Expert, Author of "Hey, America, Your Roots Are Showing" & "Who Do You Think You Are?"

                    Genealogy on TV: 28 Celebrities and Counting

                    http://assets.pinterest.com/images/pidgets/pin_it_button.png2014-06-05-ValerieBertinelliWDYTYA.jpg
                    A pair of Valeries: Valerie Bertinelli tapes for Who Do You Think You Are? in London and Senior Advisor to President Obama, Valerie Jarrett, learns about her heritage in Finding Your Roots
                    http://assets.pinterest.com/images/pidgets/pin_it_button.png2014-06-05-ValerieJarrettFindingYourRoots.JPG

                    If you're as obsessed with celebrities or genealogy (or perhaps both) as many these days, you're in luck as both TLC and PBS have announced fresh seasons of their celebrity roots series. Who Do You Think You Are? returns on TLC on July 23 for six episodes, while Finding Your Roots will launch 10 on September 23. And just for good measure, PBS is tossing in a second season of its "regular Joe" ancestry show,
                    Genealogy Roadshow, which is now seeking stories for a September taping in New Orleans.

                    If you're not familiar with these shows, they both feature well known individuals learning about their roots, but there are several differences, beginning with the volume and nature of the celebrities. Each episode of Who Do You Think You Are? focuses on a single person, while Finding Your Roots swirls the stories of two or three together -- generally centered on a unifying theme such as immigration -- in any given show.

                    Those on Who Do You Think You Are? consistently come from the entertainment field with an occasional tip of the hat to sports. This season, for instance, will have Valerie Bertinelli, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Lauren Graham, Kelsey Grammer, Cynthia Nixon, and Rachel McAdams (no athletes this time). Given that TLC also purchased past episodes from NBC (where the series initially aired in the U.S.), it's possible that Matthew Broderick, Lisa Kudrow, Rob Lowe, Reba McEntire, Tim McGraw, Gwyneth Paltrow, Sarah Jessica Parker, Brooke Shields, Vanessa Williams and Rita Wilson will also make an appearance.

                    By contrast, Finding Your Roots includes both performers and individuals known for other reasons, such as writers, producers, presidential advisors, and chefs. As with Who Do You Think You Are?, they also mix in a few athletes. Among the 30 celebrities hitting our screens starting this September are Ben Affleck, Billie Jean King, Tina Fey, Ken Burns, Anderson Cooper, Courtney B. Vance, Stephen King, Sally Field, Gloria Reuben, Rebecca Lobo, Carole King, Deepak Chopra, Ming Tsai, Angela Bassett, Valerie Jarrett, Aaron Sanchez, Derek Jeter, Tony Kushner, Nas, Tom Colicchio, Khandi Alexander, and Alan Dershowitz (that's three Kings in case you're keeping score).

                    The formats of the two shows also differ. In Who Do You Think You Are?, the star embarks on a road trip of self-discovery, piecing together the clues of their heritage with the assistance of what might be considered local guides -- mostly professors, but sometimes archivists, librarians or genealogists. Finding Your Roots is much more studio-based with celebrities seated at a table with host Henry Louis Gates, Jr. who walks them through a "book of life" that's been prepared in advance. The show also incorporates field footage, which may or may not include the celebrity whose family history is being told.

                    Over past seasons, Finding Your Roots (which is a continuation of sorts of the earlier PBS series African American Lives and Faces of America), has steadily spotlighted genetic genealogy. While this has been less true of Who Do You Think You Are?, that will likely change this year since the show's sponsor, Ancestry.com, has been placing greater emphasis on its DNA offerings of late.

                    And finally there's Genealogy Roadshow, an Irish import, which tackles the rest of us who aren't famous enough for the other two shows. PBS has not yet announced the debut date of its second season.
                    (Full Disclosure: The writer has worked on Who Do You Think You Are?, Finding Your Roots, African American Lives, and Faces of America and wrote the companion book for Who Do You Think You Are?).

                    Follow Megan Smolenyak on Twitter: www.twitter.com/megansmolenyak
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                    See you Sunday morning!

                    Message 10 of 19 , Aug 15, 2014
                      Our August genealogy meeting is set for Sunday at 10 a.m., at the Einstein Residence Center, 1935 Wright Street in Sacramento.

                      We'll have members share their reflections about the recent international conference in Salt Lake City, as well as view a video about "The Forgotten Refugees'" -- the mass exodus of Jews from Iran and other Arabic countries in the 20th century.

                      Please join us this Sunday.
                      Message 11 of 19 , Nov 13, 2014
                        Don't forget to join us Sunday for Glenda Lloyd's presentation on obituaries and all you can glean from them.

                        10 a.m. at the Einstein Center.
                        Message 12 of 19 , Dec 11, 2014
                          The storms will be gone ... why not spend the morning enjoying our Genealogy Jeopardy game and celebrating the JGSS' 25th anniversary.

                          See you at 10 a.m.  Don't forget to bring your $25 check for 2015 dues, payable to the JGSS.
                          Message 13 of 19 , Mar 12

                            Sunday March 15, 2015, 10 a.m.
                            "Anusim -- Crypto Jews on Your Family Tree"

                            Join us Sunday for the presentation by Jason Lindo and Susan Aguilar on "Anusim" or "Crypto-Jews” from the Iberian Peninsula, Jews forced to convert to Christianity.  The program will focus on customs and countries of origin, the clues most descendants of Anusim first discover. Sephardic Jews have their origins in the Iberian Peninsula, what today is Spain and Portugal. Both countries had a sizeable population of Crypto-Jews.

                            Jason has spoken to us twice before, with fascinating presentations.

                            Jason will discuss customs in the home, food customs, religious customs and those associated with death. Jason is the descendant of Portuguese Crypto-Jews (Marranos). While raised in the Greek Catholic faith in Hawaii, he grew up in a home that continued many of the customs of his Portuguese family's Crypto-Jewish heritage.  Jason converted to Judaism in 1996 and is an active member of the Congregation B'nai Israel.

                            Susan Aguilar of Elk Grove is a doctoral candidate in Jewish History and Culture at the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley.  Her area of specialization is medieval Iberia.

                            Message 14 of 19 , Apr 16 7:40 AM
                               Jewish Genealogical Society of Sacramento
                              Sunday, April 19, 10 a.m. -- Video, "There Was Once"
                              Albert Einstein Residence Center, 1935 Wright Street, Sacramento

                              "The seed of inspiration for the production of There Was Once... was planted in filmmaker Gabor Kalman's mind and heart when he received an e-mail from a stranger halfway around the world. Gyongyi Mago, a high school teacher in Kalocsa, Hungary, introduced herself  and explained that she was doing research about the history of the town for a dissertation.".
                              "There Was Once...is a 103-minute documentary produced and directed by Kalman. It documents how the Nazi invasion of his homeland and the subsequent Holocaust affected the people who lived in the town where he spent the first ten years of his life."
                              Join us this Sunday morning as we screen this video.

                              From recent Avotaynu E-Zines by Gary Mokotoff
                              Discount for an Amazing Set of Books
                              Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust for Only $49!

                              http://avotaynu.com/Gifs/encyclopedia150.jpgOne of the more remarkable books published in recent years is Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust. This three-volume work provides information about more than 6,000 shtetls and cities of your ancestors in almost every country of continental Europe (exceptions: Bulgaria, Finland, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland). You can view a list of towns at
                              http://www.avotaynu.com/books/encytowns.htm. It almost certainly includes towns of interest to you.

                              The Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust is the condensation of the renowned Pinkas HaKehillot series published by Yad Vashem plus information on areas of Europe yet to be covered by the series. The Encyclopedia chronicles the history of the Jewish communities and its people, as well as the habits and customs of the communities. There are more than 600 photographs and illustrations.

                              Through special arrangement with the publisher, NYU Press, Avotaynu is offering to its Nu? What’s New? subscribers this three-volume work at the incredible price of only $49.00 plus shipping for the next eight days. The offer ends on April 19. Shipping costs are $10 for U.S. purchasers. This set originally sold for $325.00.
                              You need to use the following links to get the special price:
                              U.S. Deliveries only:
                              http://www.avotaynu.com/books/encyclopediaUS.html

                              News About the Conference
                              There are a number of announcements about the 37th IAJGS International Conference on Jewish Genealogy which will be held from July 6–10 at the Ramada Hotel in Jerusalem, Israel.

                              Special Speakers. The keynote speaker at the opening session will be Rabbi Israel Meir Lau, the Chief Rabbi of Tel Aviv, Chairman of Yad Vashem and Ashkenazi Chief Rabbi of Israel from 1993 to 2003. Noted genealogist Dick Eastman will speak at the closing banquet. Eastman is author of the daily online newsletter "Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter" which is read by more than 60,000 genealogists.
                              Early Registration Deadline Extended. The Early registration discount fee has been extended through May 6.

                              Exploration Sunday.
                              One of the more remarkable aspects of this summer’s conference is Exploration Sunday, a pre-conference program offering a variety of research and touring options. On Sunday, July 5, attendees can participate in any of the 13 special events. It is unique to Israel.

                              Information about each tour can be found by going to the conference website at
                              http://iajgs2015.org, selecting the Program menu and from the menu selecting “Exploration Sunday.” The tours are:
                                 • Yad Vashem
                                 • Central Archives of the History of the Jewish People and the National Library of Israel
                                 • Central Zionist Archives and the Old Yishuv Court Museum
                                 • Ghetto Fighter’s House Museum and the Illegal Immigrants Detention Camp in Atlit
                                 • Old City of Jerusalem
                                 • New City of Jerusalem
                                 • Latrun and Mini-Israel
                                 • Caesaria, Zichron Ya’akov and Ein Hod
                                 • Palmach Museum and Tel Aviv Walking Tour; Weizmann Institute
                                 • Rishon Le-Zion Aliyah Museum and Museum of Babylonian Jewry; Eretz Israel
                                 • Museum and Jaffa
                                 • Dig For a Day
                                 • Masada and Dead Sea Area.

                              How To Find Missing Family Search Records
                              An online newsletter new to me, Family History Daily, has an excellent article on some of the more subtle ways of searching large genealogy Internet sites such as FamilySearch, Ancestry.com, FindMyPast and MyHeritage. One part the article notes that FamilySearch has millions of images online that have not yet been indexed and, therefore, are not searchable. A technique for accessing these images is discussed. The article can be found at
                              http://tinyurl.com/FamilyHistoryDaily.

                              Ancestry.com Adds Lodz Ghetto/Czechoslovakia Lists
                              Ancestry.com recently added a number of Lodz ghetto lists it acquired from the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum (USHMM). They include:
                                 • Ghetto Inhabitant Lists, 1939–1944
                                 • Ghetto Register Books, 1939–1944
                                 • Ghetto Hospital Death Records, 1941–1944
                                 • Ghetto Hospital Illness Records, 1940
                                 • Transports to Chelmo (Kulmhof) Camp, 1944
                              The first-named list can be found at
                              http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=5176. Links to the other lists exist on that page to the right of the screen.

                              Czechoslovakia. Ancestry also has a number of Czechoslovakian Holocaust records. One collection can be found at
                              http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=60759 with links to other sites to the right of the screen.

                              Access to these records is at no charge per agreement with the USHMM, but registration is required.

                              U.S. National Archives Adds “Iraqi Jewish Archives” to Its Site
                              http://avotaynu.com/Gifs/NWN/IraqiJewishArchives.jpgThe U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has added to its website a special section about the collection of Iraqi Jewish material that came into its possession as a result of the 2003 U.S. war with Iraq. It is located at
                              http://www.ija.archives.gov/. It includes a search engine and an exhibit.

                              In 2003, shortly after U.S. forces secured Iraq, Harold Rhode, a past president of the Jewish Genealogy Society of Greater Washington and then a U.S. government official, discovered Jewish artifacts, including a Torah, in the flooded basement of the Iraqi Intelligence Service in Baghdad. Rhode wrote about the find in the Summer 2003 issue of AVOTAYNU. These 2,700 books and tens of thousands of documents were severely damaged by the flooding. They managed to make their way to the United States and were given to NARA for record preservation.

                              The current Iraqi government has demanded the original material be returned to their country as “national treasures,” but public outcry (and U.S. senators) has delayed a decision. The ultimate disposition of the material is still undecided. Virtually no Jews live in Iraq today.

                              The story of how the artifacts were discovered and the consequences can be seen at
                              http://tinyurl.com/IraqiJewishArtifacts. Its title is “The Savior of Iraqi Jewish Heritage: An Interview With Dr. Harold Rhode.”

                              New: Virtual Museum of Judaica in Moldova
                              A Virtual Museum of Judaica in Moldova is now online at
                              http://www.jewishmuseum.md/en/main/menu?alias=museum. At present, the site is very poorly designed. The black background hides important elements of the home page presented in dark blue. At the lower left is the search engine. I searched for Tiraspol, a major city in Moldova, and got no results. The browsing mechanism is almost invisible in Firefox and barely visible in Internet Explorer. After selecting a subject, photographs, to view those beyond the first page, click the almost imperceptible dots (1, 2, 3, 4,…) in dark blue directly over the words at the bottom of the page: VIRTUAL MUSEUM OF JUDAICA IN MOLDOVA "ON THE TRAILS OF HISTORY" An announcement of the site can be found at http://www.jcm.md/en/component/k2/item/289-virtual-museum-2015-1.

                              See you at our meeting Sunday in Sacramento, 10 a.m.