May Genealogy Update

    Message 1 of 1 , May 22 3:46 PM

      www.jgss.org

      May 22, 2010

      Upcoming Meetings:

      Monday, June 21, 7 p.m. (back to evening schedule), Marilyn Ulbricht,  Digging It – Researching Genealogy Out of the Box.

      Monday, July 19, 7 p.m. – Shirley Reimer, Beginning German Genealogy

      Sunday, August 8, 10 a.m. (time/date change for this speaker), Erwin Joos, One Foot in America

      May 16 Meeting

      President Mort Rumberg called the meeting to order and mentioned the success of the recent Jewish Heritage Festival at the State Capitol.  An estimated 10,000 people were in attendance and we once again had a booth.  Burt Hecht, Lester Smith and Art Yates helped staff the booth with Mort, and Bob Wascou stopped by.  Although we didn’t provide computer look-ups of the Ellis Island site this year, we did have books for visitors to find their family names, and that was a success.

      Some pictures below courtesy of Bob Wascou, showing Burt Hecht, Mort Rumberg and Bob Wascou at our booth.

      Mort mentioned that Marvin Freedman, who recently broke his hip, is recuperating at home and was pleased to receive our get-well card.  He is now walking around and on the road to recovery.

      The Southern California Genealogy Jamboree will take place June 11-13 in Los Angeles .  It’s the biggest genealogy conference on the West Coast.  For details, go to jamboree@....

      Lester Smith has donated his genealogy library to our library, with a number of books we didn’t have, including several on Poland .  Thank you very much, Lester.

      Dave Reingold showed an old family photo taken in Tel Aviv.  He said today Daniel Horowitz of Israel (our speaker last month) was to be in Tel Aviv and try to track down family members.

      Dave noted that the Florin Historical Society will feature a showing of a film on the American Filipino regiments who fought for the U.S. in World War II.  Also, the Florin Strawberry Festival will take place June 12, and they are looking for crafters to participate.

      Burt Hecht passed around old photographs of the Aliyah Bet ship whose story was featured in the movie Exodus. The ship was originally the U.S.S. President Warfield.

      Bob Wascou recounted an interesting story, reported in the 1850 Placer Times, about a Samuel Goldstein of New Orleans . Samuel was in California with his son, and on a boat with other passengers.  He leaned over and fell overboard and drowned.  It turned out he had $1600 worth ($1850 dollars) of gold dust on him.  It turns out his is the oldest headstone in the Home of Peace Cemetery in Sacramento , located along the wall on your left from the chapel. (row 3RR1).  Goldstein’s son was adopted by Moses Hyman, whose grave is in row 3LL.

      May Speaker

      Master graphoanalyst Leslie Nye was our speaker.  She was recognized as graphoanalyst of the year in 2006.  Certified in 1989 through a homestudy course, Leslie uses her knowledge everyday, whether helping her students at DeVry University get jobs, or advising companies.  She estimates she’s probably done a thousands analyses, maybe more.

      Leslie says analyzing handwriting is a subset of applied psychology, analyzing the personality and characteristics of the writer.  Handwriting is a person frozen in time on paper – handwriting is a window to someone’s personality and character.

      Printing is not as great to analyze as cursive writing, since it’s missing the strokes that connect the letters.  Graphoanalysis is the scientific analysis of individual strokes of handwriting.   (For example – willpower can be analyzed through a person’s “t” crossings.)  Whether someone’s left-handed or right-handed doesn’t make a difference, nor does the language.

      Leslie says usually at least a page or two of handwriting is necessary for an analysis.  There are basic and evaluated traits you look for.  People’s moods, health and attitude affect their handwriting.  “It’s very accurate and works well with all ages, including children.”

      Graphoanalysis is now 80 years old, started by a shorthand teacher in Kansas .  It’s been used more widely in Europe as a tool for corporations in hiring.  Graphoanalysis reveals emotional responsiveness, imagination, mental processes, fears and defenses, integrity and social traits, and natural talents and aptitudes.

      “It’s a great way to dust off the past and know about your ancestors,” Leslie says, “one tool that could be used in your genealogy arsenal.”

      “I think we all come into the world wired with natural abilities and traits,” Leslie says.  She noticed it with her daughter and artistic ability from a very young age.

      Handwriting does not tell you what the person is thinking, or give you an ability to predict behavior, medical conditions, age or gender.

      “The instrument you write with is indicative of your preferred style of writing, and the pressure you put on the paper is related to the depth of how you feel.”

      Emotional responsiveness revealed in handwriting shows how you inwardly respond to external emotional situations.  It can help identify thinking processes.

      For the meeting, Leslie decided to analyze some of Anne Frank’s handwriting (see portion here), although there are different samples of handwriting attributed to her, not all of which may be hers.

      According to Leslie, Anne was a young woman with strong emotions.  “Her heavy, thick writing shows strong emotional feelings,” says Leslie, who measured 100 consecutive upstrokes.  Her slender, long downstrokes indicate determination, and the little loop in her letters, selectivity.  “Memories stay with her for a long time and she does not forget easily.”  The handwriting is “a snapshot of her personality.”

      Anne also showed both literary and diplomatic ability “and a closed persona, from her circle letters.”  Overall, Leslie noted Anne’s determination, diplomacy and strong depth of feeling.

      There are four different types of thinking styles, Leslie says – cumulative, systematic, comprehensive (making decisions immediately), and problem-solving abilities.

      “You can only be pushed down so much, then your personality will come out.

      Leslie looks at things such as how the i’s are dotted –round i dots (such as Anne Frank had) indicate loyalty, versus a dash, which shows irritability.

      In summing up, Leslie notes that “your signature is your calling card – who you present to the world.  Your handwriting is the real you.”

      ~~~~~~

      Footnote.com Has Free Access to Newspaper Archives Through May

      Footnote.com is offering free access to its historical newspapers collection through the end of May.  You can search the names of your relatives and see what comes up. The collection can be found at http://www.footnote.com/newspapers
      .

      Site Identifies New York City Buildings
      Would you like a more graphic representation of the building where your ancestors lived in
      New York City? The City government has an Internet site where you key in a specific address and the result is a map of the area showing an outline of every building. After locating a building, click “Show Additional Information” and data will be provided such as lot frontage, depth and area; year built; gross floor area; number of residential units; and whether it has been designated as a Landmark building. The site is located at http://gis.nyc.gov/doitt/nycitymap.