Misc. announcements

  • jgs_sacramento
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2005
      Hello everyone,

      Two items of genealogical interest have arrived in my inbox that I
      want to share with you.

      1) The early registration discount deadline for the 25th IAJGS
      International Conference on Jewish Genealogy, to be held in Las
      Vegas from July 10 to 15, has been extended until May 8. For those
      of you who have never been to a Jewish Genealogy Conference, this is
      an excellent opportunity to go to one that is not so far away from
      Sacramento. There is also a discounted rate at the hotel (The
      Flamingo Hilton), and Southwest airlines flys direct. See the
      conference web site for more information, including a list of all of
      the programs that will be presented:
      (www.jewishgen.org/jgs/jgs-southernnevada/Shelley/index.htm)

      2) An on-line "Internet Research Class" is being offered through
      www.myfamily.com, beginning on May 5. One of the instructors is
      Schelly Dardashti, who is president of the Jewish Family Research
      Association of Israel. Here is some information about the class:
      <<
      In general terms, the class covers an intro to the internet;
      searching general sites and indexes; searching genealogy sites not
      specifically Jewish; searching general Jewish sites, indices and
      resources; searching JewishGen (including SIGs and other
      components); online archival research; and much more. The class
      includes limited access to ancestry.com databases [U.S. Federal
      Census Collection and U.S. Records Collection] and a
      dedicated class website for 11 months following the interactive
      class. There are two online chats each week with transcripts posted,
      lessons from the detailed syllabus are posted weekly, and the
      website makes it easy for students to ask questions and receive
      answers. The class is fee-based [$29.95]; registration is open now.
      To learn more, copy-and-paste all of this long link into your
      browser:
      http://www.myfamily.com/isapi.dll?c=home&htx=training%
      2FOnlineClass&class=22&school=GEN
      or go to www.myfamily.com, look for "Family History" and click on