Monday evening -- Genealogy Meeting -- See You There!

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2005
      No Longer Hidden -- Discovering Converso Jewish Roots

      Jewish Genealogy Society of Sacramento
      Monday, April 18, 7 p.m. Albert Einstein Residence Center
      1935 Wright Street (off Wyda Way), Sacramento

      Please join us at our first evening meeting of 2005. Jason Lindo will talk
      about the Conversos, or Hidden Jews --Spanish and Portuguese Jews forced to
      convert during the Inquisition, and their descendants in the U.S., Mexico, South
      America and Europe some of whom are now converting to Judaism after 500 or 600
      years of separation.

      Jason himself has a fascinating personal story. He is a descendant of
      Portuguese Conversos and converted to Judaism eight years ago. He'll discuss the
      traditions, customs, family names and geographic areas that Converso Jews use as
      evidence of their Jewish origins. Don't miss this meeting Monday evening,
      April 18. For more information, e-mail us at jgs_sacramento@... or leave
      a message at (916) 486-0906, ext. 361.

      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

      And for those of you with French relatives or ancestors, I wanted to share a
      Web site I just discovered, www.memorialdelashoah.org

      This site highlights the new Shoah memorial in Paris, located not far from
      the heart of the Jewish quarter in the Marais (and across the Seine from the
      deportation memorial behind Notre Dame). The new memorial is a wall inscribed
      with the names of the 76,000 French Jews deported by the Nazis, and also the
      names of French Jewish resistants killed during the war. On the Web site is a
      database allowing you to search for specific names included on the wall. I had
      difficulty finding relatives at first, until I limited the information
      entered to just the surname, then they popped up.

      Anyway, whether you have a future trip to Paris in mind or a relative to
      research, I wanted to pass on this information.