October Genealogy Update

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2009

      www.jgss.org

      October 4, 2009

      Upcoming Meetings:

      Sunday, Oct. 18, 10 a.m., Roy Ogus: The South African Jewish Community

      Sunday, Nov. 15, 10 a.m., Jim Van Buskirk, My Grandmother’s Suitcase

      Sunday, Dec. 20, 10 a.m., Ron Arons, Mapping Madness

      September 14, 2009 Meeting

      President Mort Rumberg called the meeting to order and announced upcoming programs.  In October, we return to our Sunday morning schedule.  See above for October, November and December meetings; Joanne Weiser will present, “Everyone Has a Story to Tell”  in January; in February, our own Victoria Fisch will discuss “Jews of the Gold Rush.”  In March, the topic will relate to the genealogy of Holocaust survivors.

      Mort noted that Family History Day at the State Archives is coming up on Saturday,October 10, from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.  A sign-up sheet was passed around for volunteers.  You can help out for as little as an hour or two. We’ll have computers at our tables to help attendees look up relatives on the Ellis Island database.

      The Sacramento Central Library has several genealogy programs coming up: September 19 will focus on maps and genealogy research (the topic of Ron Arons’ presentation in December).  On Sept. 26, Barbara Leak will discuss migration routes.

      The Family History Center on Eastern Avenue also plans a series of one-day seminars.

      Dave Reingold noted that he’s still looking for judges for the Sacramento County History Day.

      Dave constructed a new frame for our JGSS banner -- it’s made of PVC pipe and will allow up to be used in a variety of locations.

      Allan Bonderoff noted that member Gerry Ross has been ill with pneumonia and has been at Kaiser and other locations as she recovers.

      Allan submitted the Treasurer’s Report -- we currently have a balance of $1,250.36 in our account.  Your dues allow us to provide small honorariums for speakers, pay dues to genealogical organizations and buy books for our library.

      September Speaker

      Jerry Unruh of the Placer County Genealogical Society was our September speaker.  His presentation was on “Searching the Internet.”

      The first Web site Jerry shared was www.genealogy-search-help.com.  He noted for those searching surnames such as “House” or “Page,” it is more difficult, as search engines will come up with suggestions that are not surname-related.

      Once you find a good site, bookmark it as a favorite, and check it from time to time.  You may find updates that weren’t there before.

      Some of Jerry’s favorites: www.grandmaonline.org ( a Mennonite site), www.pcgenes.com(his site) and www.genealogue.com, a site where you can sign up for daily genealogy e-mails.

      Google Alerts -- www.google.com/intl/en/options  -- You can set these up on any topic or phrase; e-mails are sent to you automatically when there are new Google results for your search terms. You can choose searches from news, Web sites, blogs and video.

      In August 2009, the Google Alert service was renamed Giga Alert, accompanied by a transition to the Yahoo search index.

      Subscription Web sites such as Ancestry do charge, but it comes out to under a dollar a day.

      Jerry uses Ancestry and currently has 6,273 people on his family tree.  The trees can be public or just for private access. He’s found that Ancestry’s “shaky leaves,” denoting a possible genealogical connections, “are almost always right.”

      There are also many specialized sites -- Jerry uses www.grandmaonline.org, a paid site out of Fresno, for Mennonite research on his family.

      Jerry talked about posting information on people who are alive.  He’s listed a number of living family members (as well as dead ones) on his site, but with limited details; that’s prompted people to contact him and offer information.  “I usually get about one e-mail a week with new information,” he said. “I want them to e-mail me.  The 8-10 contacts I had this summer wouldn’t have happened without my Web site.”

      He said he’s had about 4500 people look at his Web page.  “How do people find you, otherwise?”

      What can you really expect to find on the Internet? Everything, nothing, and something in between.

      According to the California Genealogical Society, the Internet is just the tip of the iceberg.  Most research is done in libraries, archives, courthouses and other locations.

      Jerry said he volunteers at the Family History Center in Auburn, where “most of the volunteers are not Mormon.”  He said not everything is online.

      He also encouraged people to back up their files, maybe having multiple backups, and using anti-virus software.

      From a Wall Street Journal Computer Column  9/16/09

      Q: Previously I had a Dell and Windows and used Family Tree Maker for genealogy records. Now that I'm an Apple owner, I find that Family Tree Maker does notwork on an Apple, only Windows. What can I do about this?

      A: It seems to me that you have three obvious options. If you still have your old Dell, you could crank it up again just for the purpose of running Family Tree Maker. Or, you could buy a boxed copy of Windows and install it on your Mac, which is fully capable of running Windows and Windows programs (assuming it’s an Intel-based Mac). Finally, you could switch to one of the native Mac-based genealogy programs and import your data from Family Tree Maker via the standard GEDCOM file format used in genealogy. One such program, called Reunion, includes specific instructions on importing data from Family Tree Maker on its “Top 10 Questions” page, at leisterpro.com.

      —You can find Mossberg’s Mailbox, and my other columns, online for free at the new All Things Digital web site, http://walt.allthingsd.com.  Write to Walter S. Mossberg at walt.mossberg@...

      From recent editions of Avotaynu  by Gary Mokotoff:

      Serendipitous Discovery: Archive.org
      A posting to JewishGen reported that an 1894 Commercial Directory of the Jews of the United Kingdom has been placed online at http://www.archive.org/stream/commercialdirect00harfiala#page/n230/mode/1up. The site has a full-word search engine that permits searching the content of the book. The search argument can be a partial word. Searching for “Mok” produced a lot of butchers who dealt in smoked and salt beef.

      This led me to explore the overall site of http://archive.org. It is a remarkable resource, not only for information valuable to family history research but other pursuits  Archive.org is an archives of moving images, text, audio, software and education. The text section—essentially books—are out-of-copyright books or other texts in the public domain. I stumbled on the fact that they had a 1959 Polk Directory for
      Boston. The search engine identified 51 Polk directories for various cities at the site.

      Archive.org is also the home of Wayback Machine, which has billions of Web pages from the past. For example, there is a snapshot of the JewishGen home page from November 8, 1996.

      Distribution of Surnames by Country Frequency and Geography
      A posting to JewishGen noted sites that show, pictorially, the geographic distribution of surnames in five European countries. It might be of value in locating people with a certain surname in a country where you did not know the surname exists..

      The countries are:
         Netherlands: http://www.meertens.knaw.nl/nfd/index.php?taal=eng
         Poland: http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/
         Germany: http://www.verwandt.de/karten/
         Switzerland: http://www.verwandt.ch/karten/
         Austria: http://www.verwandt.at/karten/

         Italy site is at http://gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html.

      The French site at http://www.geopatronyme.com/. The French site has an unusual feature. After searching for a surname, the results show the number of occurrences in four time frames: 1891–1915, 1916–1940, 1941–1965 and 1966–1990

      Using Google, similar maps were located for other countries:
         UK: http://www.nationaltrustnames.org.uk/
         U.S.: http://www.dynastree.com/maps
         Canada: < A href="http://www.dynastree.ca/" target=_blank>http://www.dynastree.ca
         The World (actually U.S., Canada, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, India, Japan and most of Europe but not Finland, Greece, Portugal, Czech and Slovak Republics, the former Soviet Union and Yugoslavia): http://www.publicprofiler.org/worldnames/

      30th IAJGS International Conference Now Has Web Site
      The Jewish Genealogical Society of Los Angeles, host of the 30th International Conference on Jewish Genealogy, has established a conference website at http://www.jgsla2010.com. The event will be held from
      July 11–16, 2010, at the JW Marriott Hotel at L.A. Live. L.A. Live is a new downtown Los Angeles entertainment and cultural complex.

      The Call for Papers will begin on
      November 15, 2009, and close on January 15, 2010. Persons who would like to lecture can see a list of possible presentation categories at http://www.jgsla2010.com/conference-program/

      JewishGen Offering “Build Your Owen ShtetLinks Page” Course
      Interested in creating a website for your ancestral town but don’t know how to do it? JewishGen is offering a course on "How to Make Shtetlinks Web Pages" to begin October 15. It is a six-week course where you will learn how to create web pages for ShtetLinks. JewishGen provides a free, downloadable, simple-to-use web page editor that runs on both PCs and=2 0Macs. They claim that only basic computer skills are need to develop a ShtetLinks site. Cost for the course is $36. Additional information is available at http://www.JewishGen.org/education..

      NewsLibrary.com

      A news clipping service at http://NewsLibrary.com claims to have online 182 million newspaper articles published in the
      U.S. At no charge, they provide approximately the first 7520words or the article; for $5.95 the entire article will be provided. A one-month membership is $19.95. There are 81 articles that include “Gary Mokotoff” and 266 articles that name any person named Mokotoff (all Mokotoffs in the U.S. are related to me).

      GuyShachar.com
      Guy Shachar, an Israeli photographer and traveler, has created a number of PowerPoint presentations of European synagogues at http://guyshachar.com. Click the word “English” in the upper left corner to view an English-language version of his site. The synagogue presentations are at
      http://www.guyshachar.com/Synagogues_of_Slovakia_GuyShachar.pps
      http://www.guyshachar.com/Budapest_Synagogue_Guy.pps
      A photo essay of Berlin can be found at http://guyshachar.com/Berlin_Jewish_Journey.pps.

      A complete list can be found at http://guyshachar.com/content/photography/presentations/presentations-full-list/. There are also photo essays at the site.

      Foo

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2010

        www.jgss.org

        October 31, 2010

        Upcoming Meetings:

        Sunday, November 21, 10 a.m.  – Glenda Lloyd, Maiden Names

        Sunday, December 19, 10 a.m. – Vivian Kahn, Hungarian Family Research

                                                          Meeting Notes for October 17, 2010

            (Thanks to Mort Rumberg for the October notes)

        President Mort Rumberg called the meeting to order and made several announcements:

        Two newspaper articles about genealogy were circulated.  The first was about local people, relatives who reunited after 50 years of searching.  The lesson here: never give up.  The second article was about the genealogy of President Obama.  The article detailed his genealogical relationship on his mother’s side to several members of the opposing party – which brought some laughs.  There was also a nice interview in the Jewish Voice with Victoria Fisch, one of our members, concerning Jews of the Gold Rush.

        Mort introduced three new members:  Rebbeca Barfield; Joan Juranich; and Magit Alverez.  Welcome.

        There is an all-day genealogy event at the Family History Center on Eastern Ave., in Sacramento on November 16.

        Burt Hecht announced that he made several copies of Steve Morse’s previous talk on DNA in preparation for his upcoming DNA presentation on February 20, 2011.  The copies are available for review. The new talk builds on the previous one, so it might be a good idea to review the notes.

        Mort introduced Dale Friedman, our speaker for the evening.  Dale is a board member of the Bay Area Jewish Genealogy Society and discussed what “Jewish” in Jewish Genealogy is, and how his ancestors shaped him to what and who he is today.  He used personal examples and suggested research methods.

        Dale mentioned that his talk will focus on Eastern Europe and emphasized that this is not a strict how-to-do-it session.  There are many directions research can take --this is his approach.

        He began by showing several books that he considered useful in beginning research, and throughout his talk, presented others to emphasize points.  He also had a table display of books for review, many that highlight Jewish genealogy.

        A lot of our perceptions of our ancestors have been influenced by films such as Fiddler On the Roof, and other media -- stories, magazines, etc., which may be nice to see, but may not be very accurate.  They do, however, provide a glimpse of shetl life.

        This is the general road map he used and recommended while doing his research:

                    Family interviews

                    JewishGen.org

                    Ancestry.com

        Jewish Genealogical Society of Sacramento

        What are your goals?  Is it to learn about general history or to define specifics of your family?  Setting goals will provide you with a deeper sense of self and enable you to learn who the people were who came before you.  It will help you find out where you came from, help identify who you are as a Jew and an American and give you a sense of history as well as help find relatives.

        Dale highlighted From Generation to Generation, by Kurzweil; and Finding Our Fathers, by Tottenberg.  He said Kurzweil mentioned two events that had a great impact on Jewish genealogy:

                    The Holocaust

                    Universal Migration

        Kurzweil said in his introduction, that he was tired of hearing about how Jews died; he wanted to hear about how they lived.

        Rather than begin when our ancestors came to the U.S., Dale began his research in Eastern Europe.  He displayed maps of Eastern Europe that showed the constantly changing borders, including The Pale of Settlement – an area in Russia that Jews were permitted to settle.

        Jewish Records Indexing – (JRI) projects that record vital records (Birth, Marriage, Death).  He provided a review of how to use the JRI database using his family as an example when building his family tree.

        Cemetery research can be a genealogist’s best friend.  Old records are kept by the cemetery, and the names on the stones have prior generations.

        Pasports, Cadastral Survey Maps (cadastral maps have extraordinary detail down to specific buildings).

        Additional books:  The Galizianers, by Wynne; The Litvak Legacy, by Ozer.

        The average American Jew knows more about the Jews of Egypt 3,000 years ago, than about the Jews who came to America during the past 355 years.  (Sarna, Moment Magazine, 2009).

        Dale called this the Golden Age of Genealogy because so many archives are coming on line.

        Yizkor books contain a great deal of information on shtetl life as well as the inhabitants and what they were doing.  Use JewishGen to research who else is researching the shtetl you are interested in.  Often they will be happy to share any info they have.  Show images to other family members, it might trigger memories.

        Book: On the Road With Rabbi Steinsaltz, by Kurzweil.  We stand on the shoulders of past generations and move forward.

        Check for newpaper articles in The New York Times, the Brooklyn Daily Eagle, the Ohio Jewish Weekly Journal.

        Obituaries

        Ellis Island passenger lists, ship manifests, naturalization records.

        In Judaism there is the concept of Shalom Bayit – Peace in the Home.  Dale’s relatives were Levite and Galicianers, so there was some animosity and constant bickering among them.

        Genealogy is history on a personal scale; it is a search for meaning – Kurzweil.

        To end his presentation, Dale provided a review of Jewishgen.org/shetllinks.

         - -  Mort Rumberg

        ~~~~~~

        Some items of interest from the newsletter of the JGS of the Conejo Valley/Ventura County:

        Family History Museum Begins Free Book Series

        The first in the Museum of Family History’s ‘Read-A-Book’ Collection is now available to be downloaded at http://tinyurl.com/2c4nzeg At the website you may see a short video, read a synopsis and/or download the book – for free. “Jacob’s Courage” by Charles S. Weinblatt is a coming of age historical novel that takes place in Salzburg as the Nazi’s enter Austria.

        Online Database of Looted Artwork

        Beginning Monday November 18 Holocaust survivors and their relatives, art collectors and museums can go on-line to search a free historical database of more than 20,000 art objects stolen in Germany, occupied France and Belgium from 1940-1944. The database is a joint project of the NY-based Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany and U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington D.C.

        The Claims Conference says about 650,000 art objects were taken, and thousands of items are still lost. The database combines records from the U.S. National Archives in College Park, MD.; the German Bundesarchiv, the federal archive in Koblenz; and French government records.To search the database go to: http://www.errproject.org/jeudepaume/

        31st IAJGS Conference Call For Papers

        The 31st IAJGS International Conference on Jewish Genealogy hosted by JGSGW has opened the call for papers. The conference will be held August 14-19, 2011 in Washington DC at the Grand Hyatt Washington D.C. The website is www.dc2011.org. Anyone interested in presenting a paper should select the "Call for Papers" tab on the left side of the conference website; read the Frequently Asked Questions before selecting "Submit a Proposal" to begin the process. Each person may submit up to eight proposals.

        Ancestry.com Adds New Indexes

        Black sheep in the family? Among the databases now available at Ancestry.com are:

        Alcatraz, California, U.S. Penitentiary, Prisoner Index, 1934-1963

        Leavenworth, Kansas, U.S. Penitentiary, Name Index to Inmate Case Files, 1895-1931 (NEW)

        McNeil Island, Washington, U.S. Penitentiary, Records of Prisoners Received, 1887-1939 (UPDATE – MUG SHOTS ADDED)

        ~~~~~~~~~~

        See you Sunday morning, November 21.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 25, 2011

        October 25, 2011

        Upcoming 2011 Meetings:
        Sunday, November 20, 10 a.m. -- Jim Rader, Surname or One-Name Study
        Sunday, December 18, 10 a.m. -- Mark Heckman, Genealogy Jeopardy

        October 16, 2011 Meeting Notes
        President Victoria Fisch called the meeting to order and shared some of the handouts picked up at yesterday's Family History Day at the State Archives. A number of members staffed our booth and were able to talk with visitors about the JGSS.
        On November 5, Ancestry will hold a day-long seminar in San Francisco; the price is $40.  Victoria will represent our organization.  The same day, the Family History Center on Eastern Avenue in Sacramento will hold 30 different classes.  For details, go  to www.FamilyHistoryCenter.info
        Victoria noted that December is renewal month for JGSS dues --you may want to bring your $25 dues check to the December meeting.
        Burt Hecht talked about the flash drives we have, courtesy of Teven Laxer, from the Washington, D.C. conference.  You can download a list of titles and we have a copy in our library.  Ann Kanton said at the conference, she bought a film about life in Galicia before World War II.  Art Yates talked about and recommended "Everything Is Illuminated," a 2005 film that shows some of present-day Ukraine.
        Reflecting on the D.C. conference, Mort Rumberg said he found the ability to use the computer room set up for attendees to be very valuable -- he went early in the morning and could access multiple databases for free.  He said he was able to eliminate Israel as a place where his family was, thanks to the resource room.
        One of the perks of JGSS membership is being able to check books out of our library -- see Bob Wascou or Mark Heckman to check out a book.
        Susanne Levitsky noted that member Gerry Ross is currently hospitalized -- we send her our best wishes for a speedy recovery.

        October Program
        Yael Numark, a native of Bombay, gave a wonderful, personal presentation about the Jews of India.  Jews have been in India for more than 2,000 years.
        She showed a map of the country and the three main places where Jews were found:
        1) Bombay -- called  Bene Israel
        2) Cochin Jews, in southern India
        3) Baghdadis, from Iran, who settled near Calcutta -- "not many left."

        Bene Israel -- Yael said at the time of the destruction of the second temple in Israel, a number of Jews left, and planned to follow the spice trade route. They got caught in a monsoon and shipwrecked near a small town.  The dead were buried in two large mounds -- still a tourist site today -- and as the history was told, there were seven men and seven women who survived, who formed the nucleus of the Jewish community there.
        Yael said there was no anti-semitism, as India is a country with about 33,000 different gods, and what is one more.  So the Jews blended in for about 1500 years.
        "Because they had no books, they were limited to knowing a few prayers, including the first words of the Shema," Yael said. "So we would say that."
        She said the Jews knew not to eat fish without fins or scales, circumsize their sons and not work on Saturdays.  They took up a common profession, oil-pressing, and were known as the Saturday oil pressers.
        Yael said when the British came a lot of these Jews moved north to Bombay to get jobs.
        Yael herself does not read Hebrew, "but I know all the prayers, because we heard it over and over again."   They have oil lamps, rather than candles.
        There are perhaps one or two rabbis for the whole country, so locally people rely on the chazans.
        The Cochin Jews -- many spent six months of the year in the Middle East, as part of the spice trade, and did have access to books.   Scottish missionaries established schools that taught the Bible in Hebrew, with the hopes of converting them, but they still stuck to Judaism.
        The local rajah gave them land next to the palace and the King presented them with a gold crown for the torah.  "This has something to say about accepting them for who they were."
        There are very few of the Cochin Jews left in India, but an estimated 100,000 or more now in Israel.
        Baghdadis --  The Jews in Iran were facing persecution and many moved to Calcutta to be textile traders.  They were fair-skinned, rich, more westernized, built beautiful synagogues.  A lot emigrated to England, Australia and Hong Kong.  One of the Baghdadi family names is Sassoon.  David Sassoon is one of the seven founders of Bombay -- Vidal may or may not be related.
        Yael said the Bene Israels took anglicized names based on the region where they came from in India.
        The first book on the Jews of India was "The History of the Bene Israel" by Haeem Samuel Kehimkar.  Historian Mitchell Numark mentioned this to Yael when they first met -- she said she knew of the book, surprising him.  "Kehimkar is my great-grandfather," she said.   (Her husband is now a history professor at Sacramento State.)
        Yael talked a bit about growing up in India -- she attended an all-girls Catholic school, but observed Jewish traditions with an Indian flavor at home.
        "We are neither Sephardic or Ashkenazi," she said, but follow some Sephardic traditions, such as eating rice during Pesach.
        A unique tradition is Malida, a dish in honor of the Prophet Elijah.  It includes fruits, including coconut, nuts , sweet-smelling flour, sweetened flattened rice,nutmeg and is used as an offering.
        "We have it at least six or seven times a year -- and by the end of the year, we're tired of it!"
        She said her mother used 11 different fruits in her version.  Everything is used in odd numbers -- "we're very superstitious."  She said the largest offering was done for Tu B'Shvat in January.
        They drink black currant wine and eat no beef or chicken, but goat, yes.
        After Indian (1947) and Israeli (1948) Independence, a lot of Indian Jews left for opportunities in Israel.  About 60,000 to 70,000 departed in the 1960s when the rabbis finally accepted them as Jews.
        Yael showed a photo of the first Jewish mayor of Bombay, in the 1960s -- she said the British trusted Jews over the local population.
        She showed a photo of a big rock where the Prophet Elijah is believed to have taken off in a fiery chariot.   The local Hindus revere and maintain the site.  They also maintain the site of the early shipwreck with the burial mounds.
        Yael commented on the attack on the Chabad House in Bombay in November 2008.  "it was heartbreaking, but any of the eight synagogues in the city would have been more populated," she said.  The people who attacked were from Pakistan, not locals.  Most of the synagogues are in Muslim neighborhoods where they are used to the Jews.
        In terms of traditions, there is no charge to attend the synagogue on Yom Kippur -- it is run on donations -- although people pay to carry the torah, read from it.  "You get married in the synagogue, no where else."
        There are still arranged marriages -- Yael's brother received a proposal and Yael, as her mother has passed away, would be involved in any arrangements.
        Yael said India has very good relations with Israel today, and El Al is one of the biggest recruiters of employees.
        Asked about other Indian Jews that may be in Northern California, Yael said there weren't many she knew of -- she has a cousin in Folsom and knows of two in San Francisco.
        ~~~~~~~~

        From Avotaynu's October 16 E-Zine

        History of Brooklyn Jewry Has Numerous Names

        Google books has placed History of Brooklyn Jewry published in 1937 online at http://tinyurl.com/3vy36xb. The book has a name index but it does not come close to identifying the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people named in the book. There is a full-word search engine at the site. Use it to do search within the book. For those with Brooklyn roots, the history itself may be of value.

        IIJG Announces Two New Research Grants

        The International institute for Jewish Genealogy in Jerusalem has announced two research grants to scholars who responded to its 2011 “Call for Research Proposals.” The grants are awarded to Dr. Louse Hecht of the Kurt and Ursula Schubert Center for Jewish Studies at the Palacky University in Olomouc, Czech Republic; and the other to Prof. Roger Martinez of the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, Colorado.

        Dr. Hecht’s proposal on “Jewish families and the tobacco monopoly in the Habsburg Monarchy” will collect and analyze genealogical data on Jewish tobacco leasers, subcontractors and traders in the Habsburg Monarchy between the mid-18th and mid-19th century. By providing a solid material basis and by being well integrated into society, these Jews secured the upward-mobility of future generations, which in turn produced an impressive number of Jewish intellectuals in various fields.

        Prof. Martinez’s research on “Sephardic Origins and Familial Transformations in the Spanish Extremadura region” will use manuscripts and records in Spanish cathedral and municipal archives to reconstruct and compile the lineages of Sephardic Jews and converso families who filtered into Portugal and across the Atlantic Ocean to the New World during the late 15th through early 16th centuries. Within that, he will investigate the varied survival strategies utilized by these Jews and conversos and also explore the nature of their communal and personal identities during this period of intense stress for Sephardic Jews.

        When a ‘Turkish Passport’ saved thousands of lives
        Sunday, October 23, 2011
        EMRAH GÜLER
        ISTANBUL- Hürriyet Daily News
        The recent documentary movie ‘Turkish Passport’ is the unlikely story of Turkish diplomats who helped save tens of thousands of lives by issuing passports to Jews during World War II. The new documentary contains extensive research and an impressive production, which hits the right nerves, especially in these trying times.

        The Holocaust might have been an accurate indicator of how low humanity could go and of the atrocities humans were capable of. Great tragedies make good stories, and the Holocaust has been an unfaltering source for storytellers for decades.
        Jewish and non-Jewish filmmakers alike have turned to World War II for real stories that were more often than not more gruesome than the sickest mind could imagine. First came the stories of war. Then came the human stories of tragedies of families fallen and families forced to break apart, none spared for the sickest game the modern world has seen.
        “Schindler’s List,” Spielberg’s magnum opus to many, was one of the first in exercising hope and praise for unsung heroes of WW II. It was the story of one powerful man who had clung to his humanity and saved over a thousand Jewish lives.
        Just when one thinks that every story about the Holocaust has already been told, an unlikely tale of hope, optimism and heroism, or “the only Holocaust story with a happy ending,” enters our lives.
        “Turkish Passport” is an unusual story about the Holocaust; it is unusual simply by having the word “Turkish” in its title, since Turkey was a neutral country during WW II. The documentary, directed by former advertisement director Burak Cem Arlıel and written by Deniz Yeşilgün and Gökhan Zincir, is a surprising recount of Turkish diplomats in France and other European countries who had saved the lives of tens of thousands of Jews by issuing them Turkish passports.
        ‘Whoever saves one life, saves the entire world’
        Based on extensive research of four years, “Turkish Passport” tells the story of Turkish diplomats and those saved by them through interviews with the survivors, the relatives of the survivors and the relatives of the Turkish diplomats, as well as re-enactments. It was definitely a period when Turkish bureaucracy was not as stalled, and when a Turkish passport was literally a lifesaver.
        The film recounts stories of Turkish diplomats like Behiç Erkin, Turkey’s ambassador to France, who issued passports to French Jews of Turkish ancestry and helped ship them off to Turkey in rescue trains. The diplomats issued passports to anyone who could utter a few sentences in Turkish, an ironic reminder of Kurds who sought asylum in Europe in the 1990s through uttering sentences in Kurdish.
        Director Arlıel is well aware that the interviews he managed to capture on film are valuable, yet are repetitive after a certain point. That was when some of the re-enactments came to the rescue. These scenes work very much like a feature film, rich in detail and meticulous in production. They are not your run-of-the-mill re-enactments of the History Channel variety that are designed to work as fillers.
        The director and the production team are also aware of the extent of their research, making sure that no one goes without credit, even though not all the research was included in the film. The web site acts like a companion piece to the film. Choosing English as its language, the site features details on research, documents, and survivor testimonials, some not seen in the documentary. Words of one of the eye witnesses in the web site perhaps best summarizes the backbone of the film: “My father was arrested by the Germans and sent to the Drancy internment camp. My mother immediately went to the Turkish Embassy and asked for help rescuing my father. Thanks to the letters written by the Ambassador, my father was rescued from the camp.”
        “Turkish Passport” was screened in the recent Adana Golden Boll Film Festival and in Cannes Film Festival last May, creating a word-of-mouth buzz for both its subject matter and its impressive execution. The tag line “Whoever saves one life, saves the entire world” might seem like a cliché, but it truly captures the film’s essence, and rings even more powerful in these trying times.