See you Monday evening

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 17, 2009

      Monday, July 20, 2009, 7 p.m.    Jewish Genealogical Society of Sacramento

      Preparing Search Tools for the 1940 Census – 2-hour program

      The speaker will be Joel Weintraub who will discuss the upcoming availability of 1940 census data in 2012 and why we wait 72 years to see a census. He’ll also talk about various search tools that will be needed to find people and what’s in the works to make things easier.  These tools can be used right now to find people in the 1880 through 1930 censuses.

      Joel is an emeritus biology professor at Cal State Fullerton.  He became interested in genealogy about 12 years ago and regularly volunteers at the National Archives (NARA) in Laguna Niguel.

      The program will be divided into two 50-minute segments with a short break.

      Actual Census Day

      July 15, 11:23 AM  Boston Genealogy Examiner

      If one of your relatives was born, married, or died during a census year, it’s important to know what date the census taker was using to collect household data. For example, if the census taker arrived August 15 and your ancestor died July 15, will he be listed on the census? That depends on the year. If the census was for 1850, then yes, your ancestor should be listed because the census taker was supposed to be asking who was in the household on June 1, 1850.

      Use this chart as reference to the census days:

      Census

      Year

      Series

      Census Day

      1st

      1790

      M637

      August 2 (1st Monday in August)

      2nd

      1800

      M32

      August 4 (1st Monday in August)

      3rd

      1810

      M252

      August 6 (1st Monday in August)

      4th

      1820

      M33

      August 7 (1st Monday in August)

      5th

      1830

      M19

      June 1

      6th

      1840

      M704

      June 1

      7th

      1850

      M432

      June 1

      8th

      1860

      M653

      June 1

      9th

      1870

      M593

      June 1

      10th

      1880

      T9

      June 1

      11th

      1890

      M123

      June 1

      12th

      1900

      T623

      June 1

      13th

      1910

      T624

      April 15

      14th

      1920

      T625

      January 1

      15th

      1930

      T626

      April 1

      16th -- 20th

      1940--1980

      April 1

      For more information about the census, visit the U.S. Census Bureau web site.

      --------------------

      See you Monday evening.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 17, 2011

        DNA and Genealogy -- Steve Morse
        Jewish Genealogical Society of Sacramento
        Monday, June 20, 7 p.m.
        Back to our Monday evening schedule.   Hope to see you June 20 as we hear again from Bay Area genealogist and website guru Steve Morse.  Steve says he's not a geneticist, not a biologist, and not a chemist.  And he has no affiliation with a DNA testing laboratory. He's an engineer.
        He put together his June presentation because DNA has become a hot topic in genealogy, but most people really don't have the DNA basics.  He'll focus on genes, chromosomes and DNA to give us a better understanding of what they're all about.
        The meeting is at 7 p.m. at the Albert Einstein Residence Center.

        From Avotaynu's E-Zine  June 12:
        JewishGen Screencasts -- Great for Beginning Researchers

        JewishGen has created a new learning tool it calls Screencasts, a number of five-minute online presentations to help people who are new to family history research. The initial four screencasts are:
          • Prepare for Your Research
          • Navigate JewishGen
          • Find Your Ancestral Town
          • Communicate with Other Researchers

        Two additional screencasts appear to be in the works:
          • Use the JewishGen Databases
          • Special Interest Groups and Hosted Organizations

        Phyllis Kramer, JewishGen vice president for Education and Special Projects, indicated she's working on one to differentiate JewishGen, Jewish Genealogy Societies, IAJGS, JRI-P and all the other organizations and acronyms. The screencasts can be accessed at
        http://www.jewishgen.org/JewishGen/FirstTimer.html.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 15, 2012
          Glenda Lloyd will talk to us about the value of city directories.

          Monday evevning meeting, 7 p.m., June 18th.
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 18, 2012
            Ron Arons will be our speaker on "Searching for Living People."

            See you at 7 p.m .at the Einstein Center.