Feb. Genealogy Notes

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2005
      Notes from February 27, 2005 Meeting -- Jewish Genealogy Society

      President Mark Heckman called the meeting to order in the dining
      room of the Einstein Residence Center.

      Vice-President Burt Hecht briefly listed upcoming programs, which
      include Pamela Dallas on Sunday, March 20, 10 a.m., discussing “Genealogical
      Records – Determining the Ones We Want, Where They Are and How to Use Them.”
      This will be a great overview for beginning genealogists and informative for
      advanced researchers as well.

      On Monday evening, April 18, Jason Lindo will focus on Sephardic
      Jews and Jewish Converso (Hidden Jews) Roots. On Monday, May 16, Mark Heckman
      will discuss how to produce a Ken Burns-type video on your computer, and
      Monday, June 20 will feature Lester Smith on the ABCs of immigration research.
      July is the international genealogy conference in Las Vegas. Check the Web
      site at www.jewishgen.org/JGS-Sacramento for more details.

      Allan Bonderoff gave the Treasurer's report -- we have a balance of
      $2,020.18 in our account.

      Lester presented the librarian’s report and showed off one new
      book, “The Dictionary of Sephardic Names.”

      Mark then introduced the day’s speaker, Dr. Stephen P. Morse of
      San Francisco. Steve, who has spoken to us on two other locations, is the
      innovative creator of “one-step” tools for navigating Internet searches. His
      work on the Ellis Island Web site search form is internationally known. Steve
      will be giving five separate presentations at the Las Vegas conference.

      Steve focused his February talk on “Deep Linking and Deeper
      Linking,” related to his one-step method. His Web site, www.stevemorse.org has
      numerous one-step connections as well as considerable other information of

      Steve said his talk aimed at giving people an appreciation of
      what goes into the search tools he’s developed. “I want to demystify what I’ve
      done,” he said, “and talk about the techniques I’ve used to get to other
      people’s data.”

      He defined deep linking as linking to any page on another site
      other than the front page; linking to a page deep within the Web site. He said
      it can be done through hypertext, buttons or bookmarks/favorites.

      Steve said shallow linking is when you go to the home page of a
      Web site -- deep linking is further down. On the Ellis Island Web site, for
      example, deep linking will take you to the actual images of the ship’s manifests.

      He said the first method of deep linking you can do yourself,
      editing the url, the address of the Web page, and changing various parameters in
      the query string, the part of the url following the question mark.

      Steve’s first one-step search was on the Ellis Island database,
      where he created his white search form.

      He talked about using a search form without a query string, where
      there are overt and covert parameters and you can use the “man-in-the-middle”
      approach as a search mechanism. And, to go one step further, he said you
      could do a complete takeover of a Web site. Steve cited the example of the
      Ellis Island Web site, where you can’t use the Netscape browser. On his site,
      however, you now can.

      Steve also discussed how to block deep linking, through cookies,
      images (“type in what you see on the screen”) and other efforts.

      Is deep linking legal? In the case of the Scotland Times
      newspaper vs. the Scotland News in 1997, the News linked to stories in the Times; the
      links bypassed the Times homepage which contained advertising. The court
      banned the links because they copied the headline verbatim, and ruled it was a
      copyright violation. But did not rule on deep linking.

      In another case, Ticketmaster vs. Microsoft, settled out of
      court, there was no ruling re deep linking. The case involved Microsoft’s
      Sidewalk, which actually linked to Ticketmaster sales but bypassed its homepage. So,
      concluded Steve, deep linking does not appear to have any legal hurdles.

      At the conclusion of his talk, Steve answered audience questions.
      Among the information he shared:

      -- The www.anybirthday.com Web site doesn’t allow you to search
      by gender. Through Steve’s site (www.stevemorse.org), you can.

      -- Ellis Island -- the site requires you put in at least one
      letter for a search. If you want to get the names of everyone in a shtetl, for
      example, how can you do that. Steve said his white form search allows you to do
      that, making in effect 26 requests to cover every letter of the alphabet.

      -- It’s one of those urban legends that people think their
      family names were changed at Ellis Island. The ship’s manifests were written by
      ship’s personnel when you bought your ticket.

      -- How did Steve get started on the one-step Web sites? “My
      inability to use the Ellis Island search form when trying to find my wife’s
      grandfather.” Soon he was getting e-mail from around the world about his one-step
      Ellis Island forms, and was contacted to some work on the enumeration districts
      for other 1930 census. Now Ancestry.com has an index for this, he said.

      Using two tools, for census data and the Ellis Island site, Steve
      said he found other applications he can apply the same techniques to.
      There are ten categories listed on his Web site.