March Genealogy Notes

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 15, 2008

      JGSS Genealogy Notes, March 9, 2008

      Burt Hecht called the meeting to order and welcomed members and guests.  He asked Vice President Mort Rumberg to give an overview of upcoming meetings, which include:

      Sunday, April 13, 10 a.m., Glenda Lloyd, Effective Use of the Census

      Sunday, May 18, 10 a.m., Judy Baston, Polish Ancestral Records

      Monday, June 16, 7 p.m., Steve Morse, DNA

      Monday, July 21, 7 p.m., Shelly Dardashti, Tracing the Tribe

      Monday, August 11, 7 p.m. Unbrick that Wall

      Burt announced that that the Folsom-Cordova Adult Education School has scheduled two genealogy classes in its Spring session, March 21- June 20.  The courses are “Growing and Harvesting Your Family Tree” and “Ancestry and Internet Research.”  For details, contact Lynn Brown at Lgbrown@....

      Judy Persin donated old issues of Tolodot, a forerunner of Avotaynu, to our library.  Iris brought in last Sunday’s New York Times Magazine, with an article on “How Do You Prove You’re a Jew?”

      Allan Bonderoff presented the treasurer’s update, “a wonderful report.”  We have a balance of $2,328.73 in our account.

      Librarian Mark Heckman said the library is almost completely computerized, with barcodes in each book.  “We hope to have the system finalized by May.”

      March Program -- Genealogy Jeopardy

        Mark Heckman (Alex Trebek) introduces the game... Contestants Victoria Reed, Jane Paskowitz and Judy Persin await the answers...

      Our March program featured a great take-off on the Jeopardy game show, the program of answers and questions.  The focus was both general and Jewish genealogy information.

      The six categories for the program were Personalities, Birth, Marriages or Death (identify the document shown), Come to Your Census, Immigration and Emigration, Basic Genealogy and Potpourri.  Dollar amounts ranged from $100 to $600, depending on the difficulty of the answer.

      Host Mark Heckman introduced the contestants: Judy Person, Jane Paskowitz and Victoria Reed and asked them to tell a little about themselves.

      Judy said genealogy became an active hobby for her about 1980.  She used to give talks about it and gradually gathered a group of interested people to form the Jewish Genealogy Society of Sacramento in March 1989.  “It’s like watching a child grow up.”

      Jane said her interest in genealogy started when she married Rick.  “His mother had nine brothers and sisters.”  She said her research over the years has been fascinating.

      Victoria said she loved to listen to family stories growing up.  She learned how to research while trying to track down an uncle who joined the Abraham Lincoln brigade in Spain.

      Mark designed the board just like the TV version, with varying dollar amounts.

      A sampling of the answers and questions:

      A. Catastrophe that destroyed the 1890 census.

      Q. What is a fire?

      A.. Chart that shows multiple generations of a family.

      Q.  What is a pedigree chart?

      A. The proper term to describe your grandmother’s cousin’s son to you.

      Q.  What is a second cousin once removed?

      A.  This person was the founder and first president of the Sacramento JGS.

      Q.  Who is Judy Persin?  (In 1989).

      A.  Where immigrants entering New York City were processed before Ellis Island .

      Q.  What is Castle Garden?

      Victoria found both the “Daily Doubles.”  Here is one of them:

      A.  Orphan trains were sent from this U.S. city to western families for adoption.

      Q.  What is New York City?

      A.  The celestial body on which the Jewish and Islamic calendars are based.

      Q.  What is the moon?

      A.  Term used for Jews from the Middle East.

      Q.  What are mizrahim?

      A. The leading European port for emigration from Eastern Europe.

      Q. What is Hamburg?

      A. Large U.S. database in which 23,000 people were incorrectly listed as dead, according to a recent government audit.

      Q.  What is the Social Security Death Index?

      A. The year of the 1st federal census of California .

      Q. What is 1850?

      A. The peak year of immigration through Ellis Island.

      Q. What is 1907?

      A. This rabbi is known as the father of Jewish genealogy.

      Q. Who is Malcolm Stern.

      A. From the 1880s to 1914, this country was second only  to the U.S. and Canada as a destination.

      Q. What is Argentina.

      The FINAL JEOPARDY answer:

      No one was born in England or the American colonies from September 3 to 13, 1752 due to an act of Parliament that did this.

      Question at the bottom of the page.

      Our winner was Victoria Reed; she and the other contestants received genealogy books as prizes.

      The Jeopardy game was very well received and members asked that it be undertaken on an annual basis.

      At the conclusion of the game, Burt Hecht asked those in attendance to share a little about their genealogy efforts.  Among the information brought up:

      -- the Daily Alta Californian is now online with a searchable database.  It noted ships coming in to California during the Gold Rush, and has passenger lists.  Dick Paskowitz says it’s a potential source if you’re trying to find the whereabouts of a relative who “went west.”

      -- Marvin Freedman noted that the Holocaust Museum now has information from the International Tracing Service.  It’s all done by e-mail, for free, but may take several months to hear from them.  If you’re looking for information on someone who died in the Holocaust, you can access this information either through  the Holocaust Museum or Yad Vashem.

      -- Victoria Reed says she’s looking for someone who can translate a document she has in Hungarian, from the late 1800s.

      -- Burt Hecht noted that the 1915 New York Census might offer information for those who can’t find relatives in the 1910 or 1920 federal census.

      Watch out, "Dancing with the Stars"…

      BBC genealogy show bought by NBC (From the UK Guardian 3/11)

      NBC is to make a U.S. version of the hit BBC genealogy series "Who Do You Think You Are?," which will be co-executive produced by Friends star Lisa Kudrow.

      NBC has ordered a series from its UK producers, who are researching the family trees of several interested celebrity candidates to see if they have compelling enough backgrounds.

      "It's great storytelling, a journey of self-discovery for these celebrities and truly moving and life-changing," the NBC executive vice-president of alternative programming, Craig Plestis, told the Hollywood Reporter. "You often see a very different side of them."

      The fourth year of the series in Britain launched last summer with it highest audience ever -- 6.8 million viewers -- tuning in. International versions of the format are also in production in Canada and Australia.

      Final Jeopardy Question: What is the adoption of the Gregorian calendar?

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 29, 2009

        www.jgss.org

        March 29, 2009

         Upcoming…

        Sunday, April 19, 10 a.m. -- Steve Morse -- Phonetic  Matching -- An Alternative to Soundex with Fewer False Hits

        Sunday, May 17, 2009, 10 a.m.  -- Ron Arons -- The Musical “ Chicago ” and All That Genealogical Jazz

        March 15, 2009 Meeting

        President Mort Rumberg called the meeting to order and welcome everyone.  He shared some brief announcements.

        Gene Tree -- www.genetree.com is celebrating its 30th birthday with a $30 discount for DNA testing.  If you’re interested, there’s a code to use.  And, in related news, Mort mentioned that the Family History Center will hold a program the evening of March 20 on “I had my DNA tested, now what?”

        The Southern California Genealogy Jamboree will be held June 26-28 in Burbank .  For details, go to www.genealogyjamboree.blogspot.com.

        There was discussion about a possible trip to what some call the Ellis Island of the West, Angel Island .  Burt Hecht said he read a Smithsonian article talking about its history.

        Mort said there is a woman in the Campus Commons area who would be interested in a ride to our meetings, if someone lives nearby.

        The Jewish Heritage Festival will be held  Sunday, May 3, from 1 to 4:30 on the Capitol steps.  We plan to have tables there with PCs set up, so we can assist people in checking the Ellis Island database for their relatives.  Volunteers are sought to help staff our booth.

        Treasurer Allan Bonderoff was honored by Mort and the JGSS members for the many hours of time he’s contributed behind the scenes, maintaining our books.  He was presented with a framed certificate of appreciation and an engraved pen.

        Bob Wascou noted that the book, “Google Your Family Tree,” suggests googling as a way to find possible relatives (something that was done in the old days by looking in phonebooks as you traveled around the country.)

        And if you go to Steve Morse’s site, www.stevemorse.org, you can translate a family name or town into the Russian alphabet, and then paste that into Google.  If you get some hits, you can translate them into English, often right  on Google, or seek out native speakers (such as the Baptist Church in West Sacramento ).  You can also do this with Steve Morse’s Hebrew translation site.  Bob said he found a Russian site with  a birthday reference for one of his cousins, which also gave him her age.

        Susanne Levitsky mentioned that she has “Google Alerts” set up for a family name and for an ancestral town (and also the word “genealogy.”)  Google sends you a link to anything that pops up for the word or words in your alert.  Go to this url to set up an alert: http://www.google.com/alerts?hl=en&gl=

        Before hearing from our speaker on his Ukraine trip, Mark Heckman showcased several books on the Ukraine in our library.  They include books on Jewish cemeteries and mass gravesites, archival sources, A Dictionary of Jewish Surnames from the Russian Empire, a Dictionary of Jewish Surnames from Galicia , and more.  “Some of these resources are not available on the Web,” Mark said.

        Featured Speaker -- Allan Dolgow

        Allan, one of our members, entitled his talk, “A Family Journey That Took 105 Years to Plan and Finally Take -- My Visit to Berta Chernomorskaya.”

        Allan said his grandfather. Meyer Oxenhourn, came from the Ukraine to the U.S. in 1904, so he started his research with the Ellis Island database, looking up the Oxenhorn family.  “Then, I had a problem finding the city, even though the city is listed.”

        He said his grandfather came from Russia , although he’s listed in the database as Norwegian.

        Ida Oxenhorn is listed on a ship’s manifest for 1907, coming from Kammener (Kammeny)  Brod.  Allan found three locations in the Ukraine with that name.

        Allan remembered his grandfather talking about the faience (pottery) factory where he worked, so he used Google, JewishGen and the Shoah database to probe further.  He posted his information on JewishGen and ended up receiving a newspaper article done by a journalist about the 80th anniversary of a pogrom in his grandfather’s town.

        The journalist gave Allan some names of a former resident now living in Brooklyn .

        His search of the Shoah database for Kamenny Brod helped him find an Oksengorn.

        “My ‘aha’ moment was finding a Page of Testimony (in Russian) submitted by an 87-year-old relative in 2006.”  Allan encouraged people to check some of the databases and resources again -- there may be new information added since the last time you checked.  You have to keep going back.”

        So Allan made contact with Berta, his
        “If you’re fortunate to build a network where people can give you information, it took lots of time

        So Allan made contact with Berta, his 87-year-old second cousin -- Berta’s grandfather and Allan’s grandfather were brothers.  Berta wrote and requested he visit his “motherland.”

        So he began planning a 10-day trip, which he took in August 2008.  He flew from San Francisco to New York to Kiev .  Allan showed pictures of the hotel as well as menus and prices -- not cheap.  His room in Kiev cost more than $600 (although Allan used his Marriott points).

        Going by car some 130 miles outside of Kiev to visit Kamenny Brod, where his mother was born, and Polonne, where his cousin Berta lives, “I felt like I was in a time machine, and I went back to a different century.”

        Allan visited the museum at the faience factory where his grandfather had worked many years before.  Some of the dishes manufactured in the past were on display..  “One plate put a lump in my throat,” Allan said, showing a photo of a dish with a floral design. ”I used to sit on my grandfather’s lap, and he was always drawing these flowers.”

        Allan asked his cousin Berta if she’d ever received a letter from him Aunt Esther, who sent wrote repeated letters over the years to find out who in the family had survived the war and how they might be doing.

        “Yes,” Berta replied, “we received many letters but under Stalin, you wouldn’t dare respond.”

        Allan learned that Berta had been a surgeon in the Russian Army during World War II, working at a field hospital.

        Allan was able  to meet with Berta and her granddaughters and a grand-niece, and has added many branches to his family tree.  He’s found relatives living in Israel , France , Russia , India and as close as Northridge in Southern California ..

        “The whole thing is a collaborative effort.  We have to rely on people in many different ways” to track down our roots.

        What did Allan learn?

        -- Be generous with your own time in assisting your network contacts.

        -- Periodically recheck databases for updates.

        -- Network with people who have a common interest.

        -- Don’t rely solely on databases/

        -- Use your imagination with facts you find -- Allan used the faience factory to narrow down the location of the town he was searching for.

        -- Have patience.

        Allan said Berta’s grandniece Natalia will be visiting Sacramento in May.

        Below is a link to photos from Allan’s album, some of which were used in his presentation.
        http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=12c7p9fd.8drefwap&x=0&y=-99ig7r&localeid=en_US

        And here is a site with more on Ukraine :

        http://jewish-heritage-travel.blogspot.com/search/label/Ukraine

        --------------------------------------

        From March 2009 Avotaynu E-Zine issues by Gary Mokotoff

        Economic Downturn May Benefit 2010 U.S. Census
        With the economic downturn, the new information is that there will be a complete census, because it will create an estimated 600,000 temporary jobs for persons who must track down those who did not respond the the mailing to all households. The total operation and analysis of the 2010 Census will cost more than $14 billion by the time of its completion in 2012, making it the most expensive head count in American history.

        Chicago Jewish Newspaper Online
        Digitized images of the Chicago Jewish newspaper, The Sentinel, are now online at http://hannah.spertus.edu:8881/R covering the years 1911–1949. The search engine includes an any-word index. When an image is displayed, the words searched are highlighted for easy location of the information sought. I was able to get the maiden name of a woman who married into the family from a 1930 engagement announcement.

        Ancestry Adds 1940-Era City Directories
        Ancestry.com has added to its collection more than 2,000 U.S. city directories for 1940 and surrounding years. Forerunners of phone books, city directories typically list head of household with address and occupation.
        New York, Los Angeles and Philadelphia are not included. It’s possible there were no city directories for those cities at that time. The collection does include such cities as Baltimore, Boston, Cleveland, Hartford, Miami, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, San Diego and San Francisco. Although Los Angeles is not included there are directories for a number adjacent suburbs. The directories can be accessed at http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=1540.

        Life Magazine Photos on Google
        One the great photo news magazines was Life. It existed from 1936–1972, then intermittently until 1978 when it was a monthly until its demise in 2000. Google has obtained the rights to publish the magazine’s photos which are available at http://images.google.com/hosted/life. Searching the site for “
        Warsaw ghetto” produced 34 pictures. Dachau has 99 images, but Auschwitz only one.

        The photos are not limited to the time period the magazine was published. The one illustration for
        Czestochowa, Poland, is a reproduction from a book of the siege of the town in 1605. All told, there are approximately 2 million photos. Search the collection using the names of ancestral towns or events important to your family history.

        Lithuanian Trip
        If you are interested in tracing your roots in
        Lithuania, Latvia, Eastern Poland close to Lithuania, or Belarus, now is the time to sign up. This year the group will be limited to 25 persons. The trip includes visits to various archives, synagogues, ghettos, Holocaust sites, meetings with Jewish leaders, sightseeing, guide/interpreters, and two days to visit and spend time in your shtetlach of interest. Margol and Freedman are very familiar with the archives, are on a first-name basis with the archivists, and know all the main places of Jewish interest. While this is a group trip, every effort is made to tailor the trip to your personal interests. Group members leave from their individual towns and come together in Vilnius on July 1, 2009.

        For details and a full itinerary, contact litvaktrip@... or homargol@...

        Salt Lake City Trip
        For the 17th consecutive year, veteran Jewish genealogists Gary Mokotoff and Eileen Polakoff will be offering a research trip to the LDS (Mormon) Family History Library in
        Salt Lake City from October 22-October 29, 2009. To date, more than 400 Jewish genealogists from around the world have taken advantage of this program. The group size is limited to 40 people.

        The program offers genealogists the opportunity to spend an entire week of research at the Library under the guidance and assistance of professional genealogists who have made more than a three dozen trips to
        Salt Lake City. Each attendee has access to trip leaders every day except Sunday at the Library for on-site assistance and personal consultations. There is also a planned program that includes a three-hour class on day of arrival in addition to a mid-week informal group discussion of progress and problem-solving. For those new to genealogy, a beginners’ workshop will introduce them to the wonderful world of Hamburg immigration lists, U.S. passenger arrival lists, naturalization records and census records.

        Social events include a mid-week Sunday brunch for camaraderie and discussion of successes (and failures); attendance at the Sunday morning broadcast of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir; informal group dinners; and group planning parties. Additional information can be found at http://www.avotaynu.com/slctrip.htm

        Avotaynu Offers Maps
        http://www.avotaynu.com/gifs/center_img5.jpgAre you aware that Avotaynu sells 18th- and 19th-century maps of Central and
        Eastern Europe? The size of each map is 18"x24" (46cm x 61cm). They are reproductions of maps that were made during the period they cover. The maps are sold in groups—a few are sold separately.

        The map groups are:
        19th Century Austria-Hungary: East-Central Provinces 1844 , Hungary and Part of Siebenburgen 1825, Austro-Hungarian Empire 1875

        Baltic States
        (Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia): Baltic States 1845 , Russian Baltic Provinces: 1914

        Eastern Europe in World War I: Eastern Europe 1915, Carpathians, Romania and Part of the Balkans 1916, Russian Baltic Provinces 1914

        Czechoslovakia: East-Central Provinces; Kingdom of Bohemia, with Silesia, Moravia and Lusatia

        Poland: Poland 1799, Poland 1817

        Russia: Russia in Europe 1845, Black Sea Settlements Prior to 1918, Russia in Europe (West) 1835, Southwest Russia and Kingdom of Poland-1860

        Germany:
        Germany Circa 1760, Two Views of 18th Century Germany (2 maps); Map of Germany Divided into its Circles (1805); German Empire Circa 1875

        More detailed descriptions can be found at http://www.avotaynu.com/maps.htm

        Preliminary Conference Program Now Online
        A preliminary program for the 29th Annual International Conference on Jewish Genealogy is now online at http://www.philly2009.org/program.cfm. The conference is being held in Philadelphia from August 2–7, 2009.
        A few of the new features reported by Mark Halpern, Program Co-chair are:
            • Beginners’ Track of programs on Sunday
            • Repository Fair: local archives, libraries and other institutions will answer your questions
            • Attendance by the Director General of the National Archives of Romania as well as Archive officials from Ukraine and Vienna
            • Opening Session on Sunday with Father Patrick Desbois as the keynote speaker. There will be the opportunity to purchase an autographed copy of "The Holocaust by Bullets"
            • Lectures on state-of-the-art genealogy tools including Google and Facebook
            • Programs and a workshop on Jewish cooking

        ViewMate Returns to JewishGen
        One of the valuable features of JewishGen is ViewMate. It is the tool that permits uploading images such as photos, letters, tombstone images or documents in any language and getting volunteers to translate or comment on the images. The function has not been available due to technical difficulties, but the problem is now resolved. Information about the service including instructions on how to upload images can be found at http://www.jewishgen.org/ViewMate.

        -----------------------

        See you at our next meeting, Sunday, April 19.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2011

          www.jgss.org

          March 3, 2011

          Upcoming Meetings:

          Sunday, March 13, 10 a.m. -- Robinn Magid, "On Data Safari in Poland "

          Sunday, April 17, 10 a.m. -- Susanne Levitsky, "French Connection"

          Sunday, May 15, 10 a.m. -- Janice Sellers, "Newspapers Online"

          Notes from February 20, 2011 Meeting

          President Mort Rumberg called the meeting to order.  He mentioned upcoming genealogy programs to be held at the Central Library. For more information, call (916) 264-2920.

          On April 16, the German Genealogy Society will hold a one-day seminar.  Details on their website, www.SacGerGenSoc.org.

          The Family History Center will hold its sixth annual seminar on March 12 from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.  Professional genealogist Lisa Lee will be one of the speakers.

          October 15 is the date for this year's Family History Day at the State Archives.  For details, go to www.fhd2011.blogspot, or call (916) 487-2090.  We'll have a table along with the Bay Area JGS, and will be looking for volunteers as the day gets closer.

          Mort mentioned that Marv Freedman is at home after some surgery and would welcome your calls.  Art Yates mentioned that Lester Smith is in the hospital, but hopes to be released shortly.  We hope both Marv and Lester are doing better.

          Root Cellar is holding a writing contest, deadline April 30.  First prize is a one-year membership to Ancestry.com.

          The Bay Area's Ron Arons is looking for people who have relatives who've been in jail or prison.  He's searching for records.

          February Speaker: Steve Morse

          One-Step Web Pages:  A Potpourri of Genealogical Tools

          Steve Morse returned to do an encore presentation about his one-step web pages, a set of tools he began developing about ten years ago.  It started with the Ellis Island site, which was difficult to use.  "So I put together my own form, Searching the Ellis Island database in one step."

          Now Steve can claim about 200 different tools in 16 different categories. He showed us a number of them during his presentation, more powerful tools for searching databases.

          Ellis Island Search Form -- White Form, for searching 1892-1924.  "It's my search form plus the Ellis Island search engine and database."

          Gold Form -- 1892-1924.  --"This is my own search form and my own search engine."  He noted that Sacramento JGSS member Gary Sandler did a lot of the work with him in developing this form.

          "This is the only search form where you can put down a traveling companion."

          All New York Passenger List, 1820-1957 -- "This is my search form plus Ancestry.com's search engine.  It does require a subscription."

          Steve advises that you "don't put down everything you know.  If anything doesn't match, it won't tell you about it."

          He showed an example of former New York Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia (whose wife was Jewish).  "If I spelled his name correctly, I would have lost the other hit."

          Steve also suggests "using peripheral vision," anything that will give clues and open the door for more research.

          Two Tools To Find Ships --

             -- One step white or gold form, although have mislinked several forms

             -- Go to One-Step Ship Lists Form

                       Can search by arrival date, get microfilm frame

                       Can access microfilm via the One-Step Manifests Form

          One-Step  Immigration Triangle:

                                           passenger names

          ship arrivals                                            microfilm rolls

          To find out more about the ship, and get pictures, there are 11 different sites.

          Steve's two big sections are for Ellis Island and the U.S. Census

          New York Passenger Arrivals

                   Before 1820, no manifests

                   Before 1855, no processing, passengers just walked off the ship

                   From 1855- 1890. Passengers arrived at Castle Garden

                   1890-91 - There was a barge office, while Ellis Island was under construction

                   1892--1897 -- Ellis Island

                    1897- 1900 - Barge office, Ellis Island closed due to fire

                    1900- 1924 -- Ellis Island

                    After 1924 -- special cases only.

          Steve said ships actually docked in Manhattan , and ferried passengers to Ellis Island .

          And, "name changes did not occur at Ellis Island , so you have to know the old name."

          Two Castle Garden databases --

               Ancestry.com -- includes all manifests, images, 1820- 1957

              castlegarden.org -- free, does not include manifests, claims to cover 1830-1897

          Steve says that if you put your mouse over the passenger name in the Castle Garden browser, you'll see a passenger ID number at the end -- you can then enter the number before or after.

          U.S. Census and Soundex --

          When a name search fails, you can search by address.  They're organized by enumeration districts:

          1900/1910, 1930/1940.  They skipped 1920, but you can convert the 1930 ED to 1920 version.

          For changed street names in 200+ cities, including Sacramento , there is info, aided by research done by Joel Weintraub.  If you send Steve a half-dozen changes for a particular city, he'll add your city to his list.

          Soundex is the code associated with a name -- names that sound the same.  "You can benefit from a 'sounds-like' search," Steve says.

          The American Soundex Code is used by the National Archives.  There is also the Daitch-Mokotoff Code, particularly useful for Jewish names.

          New York Census -- there are now name searches for the 1905 census, but for the most part it is an address search.  You convert the address to an Assembly District/Enumeration District.

          Birth, death and other vital records  -- some good websites:

          www.birthdatabase.com

          www.zabasearch.com

          Private Eye (a long list of stuff for free)

          www.intelius.com

          For deaths, best source is the Social Security Death Index-- the one-step website ties in with this for various use.

          If you want every possible database, go to Cyndi's List, Steve says.  His website provides tools for using particular databases.

          Also on his website:

          --  a "relativity calculator," to tell you what the relationship is between two people, whether it's a first cousin once removed, or what.

          -- calendar for sunrise/sunset times

          -- Hebrew alphabet, virtual keyboard where you can copy and paste.

          -- Miscellaneous one-step sites, such as the one for eBay.

          "More Google searches go to my latitude/longitude pages than anything else," Steve says.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~

          From the Feb. 27 Avotaynu E-Zine by Gary Mokotoff:

          Genealogy Webinars
          Genealogy webinars (web-based seminars) are a popular way to become educated in aspects of family history research. Here are some examples:

          Elise Friedman will continue her webinars on DNA and genealogy with six programs in March. Most are associated with the products of Family Tree DNA at
          http://familytreedna.com.

             • Tuesday, March 8 - Genetic Genealogy Demystified: Reading and Understanding Your Family Tree DNA Results, Part 1: Y-DNA
             • Thursday, March 10 - Starting and Managing a Family Tree DNA Project
             • Tuesday, March 15 - Genetic Genealogy Demystified: Reading and Understanding Your Family Tree DNA Results, Part 2: mtDNA
             • Tuesday, March 22 - Genetic Genealogy Demystified: Reading and Understanding Your Family Tree DNA Results, Part 3: Family Finder
             • Thursday, March 24 - Conquering the Paper Monster [How to organize your genealogy data–Ed.]

          Cost is $10 each, except for the free beginner webinar on March 1. Additional information, including registration, can be found at
          http://www.relativeroots.net/webinars/

          Southern California Genealogical Society is offering webinars at no charge. There will be two in March:
             • March 5. Social Networking – New Horizons for Genealogists. How social networking is being used by genealogists and family historians of all ages.
             • March 16. Tell Me About When You Were a Child. Learn how to prepare, schedule, and conduct an effective family history interview

          Previous webinars are archived and available to SCGS members only. Additional information can be found at
          http://www.scgsgenealogy.com/JamboreeExtensionSeries2011.htm

          For other webinars, Google the keywords “webinars genealogy.”

          Tenth International Conference on Jewish Names
          The Tenth International Conference on Jewish Names will be held at
          Bar-Ilan University in Israel on March 22, 2011. The complete program of lectures and discussions is shown at the Israel Genealogy Society site at http://tinyurl.com/4lddwqn

          A sample of the talks include:
             • Jewish Names in the Modern World
             • The Notion of "Jewish Surnames"
             • Sepharad and Exile
             • Different Sources of Personal Names
             • Names in Eastern and Western Jewish Communities
             • Names in Modern Israel
             • Jewish Toponyms

          NARA Plans Budget Cuts
          Those planning to attend the International Conference on Jewish Genealogy in Washington, D.C., this summer may find that the National Archives and Records administration is running a leaner operation. Archivist of the United States David S. Ferriero has issued a statement that he plans to reduce the staff of the
          NARA’s library facilities in their main building and College Park facility. Additional information can be found at http://www.archives.gov/press/press-releases/2011/nr11-80.html.

          Ferriero, in another statement, indicated he will be closing the
          NARA facility in Pittsfield, Massachusetts.. These reductions are in response to across-the-board budget cuts by the U.S. federal government. NARA’s budget is being cut by 8.2%.

          Who Do You Think You Are? Renewed for Third Season
          Based on viewer interest in just the first two weeks of its second season, the
          U.S.
          version of the TV show Who Do You Think You Are? has been renewed for a third season. NBC states the show has had seven million viewers overall in its first two weeks, making it NBC's #1 Friday series so far this season in total viewers.

          Influence of Ancestry.com on the Public’s Perception of Genealogy
          We are all aware of the tremendous impact Ancestry.com has had on greater access to the records of our ancestors. But there is another impact the company has had on genealogy: the public’s perception of family history research.

          For much of my genealogy career I have had to give a long explanation to people regarding what genealogy is all about. A typical response was something like “Oh, you mean family trees.” I was recently asked by a person what I did as an occupation, and when I said “genealogy publishing,” the response was “Oh, you mean Ancestry.com.”

          The great amount of advertising Ancestry.com has done and the show Who Do you Think You Are? has changed the public’s perception of genealogy from a hobby for little old ladies in tennis sneakers to a legitimate pastime for millions of people.

          Ancestry.com’s financial results for the year 2010 show the growth of interest in family history research. The company reported that their subscriber base grew by 31% compared to 2009. More significantly, the fourth quarter of 2010 represented more than half of this growth. They expect the number of subscribers to grow to 1.5 million by the end of the first quarter of 2011 and to 1.7 million by the end of this year. The report showed advertising and marketing expense was up 53% compared to 2009.

          Digital Monument to the Jewish Community in the
          Netherlands
          Digital Monument to the Jewish Community in the Netherlands located at http://www.joodsmonument.nl/?lang=en is a memorial to more than 100,000 Dutch Jews murdered in the Shoah. Information about each individual includes name, date and place of birth, date and place of death and the address where they lived. In some cases, additional information is provided such as familial relationships. A search engine allows you to search on any of the data fields. There is provision to add additional information about the person.

          A description of the website can be found at
          http://www.joodsmonument.nl/page/274281.

          See you Sunday morning, March 13 – Robinn Magid on research in Poland.