Genealogy Jeopardy Sunday at 10 a.m.

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2008

      It’s Time for Genealogy Jeopardy!

      Join our host, Mark “Alex Trebek” Heckman this Sunday, March 9, at 10 a.m., as he presides over our JGSS version of Genealogy Jeopardy.  Our lucky contestants are Jane Paskowitz, Judy Persin and Victoria Reed.  This will be an entertaining way to learn a few answers and questions to add to your knowledge.

      And don’t forget to “spring forward” and set your clocks ahead Saturday night so we’ll see you on time Sunday morning.

      Chuck Knuthson Passes Away

      We were saddened to hear that local genealogist Chuck Knuthson died February 27. Chuck had presented several programs to us over the years, including one on World War I draft registration cards.  A retired Roseville police captain, he taught genealogy classes and volunteered at the LDS Family History Center.  We extend our condolences to his family.

       From Avotaynu’s E-Zine March 2, 2008

       Database of German Address Books, 16991958
      An index to German address books from 1699–1958 is located at http://adressbuecher.genealogy.net/Search.html. Only a limited number of years are covered for a limited number of towns. For example, for Berlin the years 1801, 1823 and 1825 are available.  You can search by last name, first name, place name and/or occupation. A list of all books in the system can be displayed by town, title or year.

      Los Angeles City Directories Online
      Los Angeles street address directories from 1929–1987 have been placed online by the Los Angeles Public Library at http://rescarta.lapl.org:8080/ResCarta-Web/jsp/RcWebBrowse.jsp. There are 18 directories that can be searched by person’s name (including surname only) or name of business. The directoriesGary Mokotoff searched were all “reverse directories,” organized by street address not alphabetically by person. This has the advantage that when you locate a person, you can determine who were the neighbors. When you perform a search, the system displays the first occurrence of the name and indicates how many hits there were.

      See you at the Jeopardy game Sunday morning!